Teacher says Pop Tarts are not a healthy snack

Options
1222324252628»

Replies

• ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all of this massive thread.

Just stopping in to say that my daughter in public school is only allow raw fruits and vegetables.

So nuts, string cheese, deli meat, even apple sauce or peach cups with no added sugar are not allowed.

She won't eat any raw fruit or vegetables - so no snack.

Mostly I'm chapped that they aren't allowed any kind of protein.

I get not allowing sugary yogurt maybe, but she likes Greek yogurts that are plain/vanilla/no sugar added.
  • dawnda1234
    dawnda1234 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    OMG! Where does this teacher get off making the children eat healthier! This form of dictatorship in the public school system is just appalling!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    brdnw wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    400 calories for a pack of poptarts is certainly trash. I don't know why you'd buy them.
    Because kids sometime want something sweet and as part of a balanced diet there is nothing wrong with them?

400 calories probably make up 1\3 of their daily needs depending on their age, and you want that to go to poptarts? What about poptarts aide in a 'balanced' diet?

2 poptarts have a total of 76g of carbs. That's gross.

Lots of people only eat one pop tart, I believe OP said she gave him one. A 200 calorie sweet treat fits quite nicely into an otherwise nutritious and balanced diet.

76 grams of carbs is "gross"? :confused:

I have literally never known anyone who only ate one Poptart. I'm not saying they don't exist, I'm just saying that if they do exist, I've never seen them in the wild. Also, if they're only eating one, congrats, they're now only eating 1/6 of their daily calories in what is basically pure sugar on cardboard. Give them a banana with some peanut butter if you really want to give them a snack that's that caloric.

I eat just one pop tart, unless I feel like sacrificing an entire meal to them, which is almost never, and when I do, I usually regret it
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Can't we all get along?

How about this:

Regular Pop Tarts Good !

Frosted Pop Tarts Bad !

Teacher Good !

Parent Bad !

( Parent Bad... but not as bad as the Frosted Pop Tart; they are Satan.)

I now have an answer for "are pop tarts the devil?"

Only the unfrosted ones are the devil.

p9C4HQp.jpg

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    dawnda1234 wrote: »
    OMG! Where does this teacher get off making the children eat healthier! This form of dictatorship in the public school system is just appalling!

You read this whole 19 page thread, and that's your takeaway from it?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

I tried to mark it as insightful but my phone wouldn't let me. I guess it is a smart phone!

Da dum tshhh
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    raindawg wrote: »
    We got the fishy cracker reprimand from our kids school. This is just a manifistation of how the majority of people these days feel it's the governments responsibility to parent our kids and also parent the parenting. People sincerely believe the governement knows better than we do on whats best. Not just in parenting but in more and more aspects of our lives. We used to be a country of liberty and freedom, but not anymore.

Sorry, just in one of my rare soap box moods today. Carry on..........

We also didn't used to be a country with 70% of the population overweight/obese, high rates of childhood obesity and the government paying over 50% of healthcare costs.

Ya, I'm 50 and when I was a kid there was one obese child in my class. One. Actually, she may have been merely overweight.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I always see these kinds of stories, and I've honestly never came across it in my kids school years and have never heard stories from friends. I'm in Canada, so i wonder if there's certain rules or something? Like the story above about her child being forced to drink milk and then stories about kids being forced to eat a certain way unless they get a doctors note. My son and I both have celiac disease and he has secondary lactose intolerance and I've never had to bring a note or anyting. I just said he has celiac disease, don't feed him anything unless he's read the ingredient list, that's it. No issues. They have milk days at school and he gets a juice box. I provide a bag of treats for his classroom in case someone brings in cupcakes or something for a birthday. Only hardset rules in his school are no tree nuts because there's life threatening food allergies. Personally, I wouldn't send my kid to school with a poptart, but it's only because I don't buy them. My oldest son would have the entire box ate in a day, so that food just doesn't come into the house. Funny thing with the teachers suggestions is, I bet if you compared calories/sugar/carbs/fat etc, the granola bar and yogurt would be just as "unhealthy" as the poptart.

Re doctor's notes: my doctors have always provided notes for anything I requested. I explain the situation and get the note. The recipient complies with what the doctor suggested. No drama.
  • kshama2001
    edited January 2017
    Options
    400 calories for a pack of poptarts is certainly trash. I don't know why you'd buy them.
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Because kids sometime want something sweet and as part of a balanced diet there is nothing wrong with them?

There certainly would be something wrong with giving a 6 year old 400 calories of pop tarts for a "healthy snack." (However, I believe the OP was just sending her child with half a pack.) Want something sweet? Have a tangerine.

Still, if the rule is "healthy snack", despite the ambiguousness of "healthy", 200 calories of Pop Tarts still doesn't qualify.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

I'm going to assume the thread was not read.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thread has been closed since it's divulged down to insults.

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.
This discussion has been closed.