January 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• banana742581
    banana742581 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not doing thay right...but I'm still in. Lol.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    ^^^ take the space out after the right bracket (err... I mean left bracket?) at the beginning and the end and you should be good to go.
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    January goal: 100 miles
    1/1: 3.6 miles (m)
    1/2: Downpour Day
    1/3: 4.5 miles (m)
    1/4: 4 miles (m)
    1/5: 5 miles (m)
    1/6: 4.5 miles (m)
    1/7: 4 miles (m)
    1/8: 6 miles (m)
    1/9: Rest Day
    1/10: 4.15 miles (m)

My Total/January: 35.75 miles
    Mike's Total: 36 miles

It was a tough 4 miles for me today. I rarely have a good run after a rest day for some reason. Plus, temps and humidity are both back up, so I was expecting it. I managed to get it done though with Mike and Fergus. Tomorrow is going to be a challenging day for running. I have to take Mike for some medical tests and that is going to eat up a good chunk of my morning. I may be able to actually run nearby somewhere while he is testing as I am only required as a chauffeur or I may just to just do an evening or night time run instead. I will get it in somehow...even if I end up having to dreadmill it!

@Orphia I have Strava stats for my runs, too. I also keep logs and have the Fitbit log. I like the idea of making a keepsake running folder though. At one time, I had grand ideas of running scrapbooks, but I don't have enough interest in the scrapbooking end of it to make it happen! A simple folder might be a nice alternative. :)

Have a fabulous rest of the day!

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @Azercord I think you meant me. I ordered a pair of smart wool compression sleeves. If they arrive today I'll do a test run tomorrow and let you know what I think
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Date.......Distance

January 1 - 12.1 km
    January 2 - 7.0 km
    January 3 - 12.9+5.3 km
    January 4 - 11.5 km
    January 5 - 7.0 km
    January 6 - 3.8 km
    January 7 - 9.45 km
    January 8 - 9.8+6.0 km
    January 9 - 5.2 km
    January 10- 10.0+6.0 km

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    1/1: 5 miles
    1/2: 2.4 miles
    1/3: Busy day
    1/4: 4.5 miles (am), 4.5 miles (pm) + lifting
    1/5: 6 miles
    1/6: 4 miles + lifting
    1/7: 4.2 miles trails
    1/8: 10 miles +0.6 (Cocoa Classic 10 miler)
    1/9: Sick day
    1/10: Sick day

Well, the time has come... I stayed healthy post-marathon in November. I stayed healthy through holiday travels in December. But January has brought vengeance in the form of sickness! I could barely stay upright at work yesterday so I skipped the gym, and I'm working from home today feeling totally gross. My nose is running more than I am this week, and I'm sore and achy all over. Hoping that today's easy day of working from a heap of blankets means I'm feeling decent tomorrow!

exercise.png

Winter/Spring 2017 Races:
    1/8: NYCRUNS Cocoa Classic 10 mile 1:21:37 (10th AG)
    2/18: FebApple Frozen 50 - 10 mile (trail)
    3/12: E. Murray Todd HM
    3/18: Looney Leprechaun 10k (trail)
    3/26: Philly Love Run HM
    5/14: Delaware Marathon Running Festival HM
    5/21 or 5/28: Cleveland or Vermont City Marathons (maybe)
    7/1: Finger Lakes Fifties 50k (trail)

• BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift Hope you feel better soon. You sound miserable. :(

@MNLittleFinn Glad to hear the run went well. Hope things continue to improve for you!

@7lenny7 Safe travels to Milwaukee! I'm sure you'll stock up on some Spotted Cow when you cross the border. I'll bet there are some fun trails to run somewhere in between!

@Orphia Congrats on your 10K PR! Well done!!

@MobyCarp Enjoy your new Boston gear!! Loved the pics!!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Was listening to this podcast https://runnersconnect.net/running-interviews/gait-guys/ and at the very end (about 1:09:40 into the podcast) they briefly suggested new runners increase the frequency you run before you increase distance (like building up long run) and even run doubles instead of a long run until you build up your endurance more. That's the first time I ever heard it suggested that anyone besides an experienced runner who is really trying to cram in miles should run doubles. I definitely think I get injured in some way every time I try to build up a long run, but I seem to do fine running consecutive days.

Any thoughts on this idea of a beginner running doubles instead of adding to their long run???

I don't really have a plan yet for this year. Last year's plan was to slow down and I succeeded at that. LOL I seem to get injured every time I try to run 7-8 miles. I should probably work on getting my frequency back up since I've been sidetracked awhile now by not only weather but my husband's illness. I'd definitely like to get back to running 5 days a week and probably try to sustain that awhile before I consider running over 5-6 miles.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Was listening to this podcast https://runnersconnect.net/running-interviews/gait-guys/ and at the very end (about 1:09:40 into the podcast) they briefly suggested new runners increase the frequency you run before you increase distance (like building up long run) and even run doubles instead of a long run until you build up your endurance more. That's the first time I ever heard it suggested that anyone besides an experienced runner who is really trying to cram in miles should run doubles. I definitely think I get injured in some way every time I try to build up a long run, but I seem to do fine running consecutive days.

Any thoughts on this idea of a beginner running doubles instead of adding to their long run???

I don't really have a plan yet for this year. Last year's plan was to slow down and I succeeded at that. LOL I seem to get injured every time I try to run 7-8 miles. I should probably work on getting my frequency back up since I've been sidetracked awhile now by not only weather but my husband's illness. I'd definitely like to get back to running 5 days a week and probably try to sustain that awhile before I consider running over 5-6 miles.

I still promote the idea that you should limit your long run to somewhere between 25-35% of your weekly miles.

So I will address both sides and provide context to the debate of which is better.

In general, it is better to run your long run in full as opposed to breaking them up into 2 runs. You lose the benefit which is to train your body to run on energy drawn from fat as opposed to carbohydrates. If you cut your long run too short, you don't tax your body enough to stress the systems to force them to draw energy from fat. Usually 90 minutes to 2-1/2 hours (and sometimes longer) is where you would best benefit from a long run.

Now the flip side. Say you want to go out and run a 10 mile long run, but you're only running 25 miles total for the week. Well, I would say that you are not ready to run such a long run. That long run represents 40% of your weekly miles. Do it once or twice, maybe you'll be fine. Keep on consistently running like that, and your chances for overuse injuries increase. In this case, maybe it would be better to break up that 10 mile long run into 2 separate runs as the podcast suggests. Maybe run 6 miles in the morning and 4 miles in the late afternoon. That 6 mile "long run" would represent only 24% of your weekly mileage.

In your specific case, if running a double is too stressful on the body, then I would say don't do it. Always listen to your body. Something that @MNLittleFinn did wisely this week, and it sounds like he is benefitting greatly from it.

• melaniefay82
    melaniefay82 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    @BeeerRunner Congratulations on your 20!!! That's HUGE!!! And I know, because I still need to push past 17. = )

@kristinegift Hope your bug clears up quick!

@greenolivetree Your plan to add and be more consistent with frequency of runs before adding millage goes along with most of what I have read and any good advice I've been given/taken. As far as doubles of shorter runs vs run longs, I'd guess that to be best left to personal preference. For me, I would rather do doubles if I'm having to go it on the road, but will do a long trail run at any and every opportunity, no need to break that *kitten* up.

Resting yet one more day. What's one more day going to hurt? Nothing. Plan is to try and get a couple of short runs in yet this week and then enjoy the trails in better health this weekend. Dirty Snowflake Prediction Run is Sunday. My race cherry, lol. When I registered and submitted my time estimate I was assuming there'd be plenty of snow on the trails, but it has been and should remain warm enough to keep them pretty clear. We can adjust our time prediction at packet pickup, but with having been out sick the past 10 days, I probably should just leave mine where it's at. Or even add a few minutes yet, haha.
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    Thanks for your input @stoshew71 :) Like I said I can't seem to get to even one or two 7-8 mile runs and I'm injured so I feel I need to forget the idea of long runs for awhile. Maybe max out at 6 and just try to sustain 5 days a week for quite awhile before I try to increase distance of a single run. I was just curious because I've never heard anyone suggest that a new runner run doubles BEFORE increasing their long run.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Either I'm maturing as a runner, or I'm in hypochondriac mode. Even though today's run (fast though it was) went well, I'm seriously considering taking a rest day already tomorrow, even though I feel fine

I know that I could run tomorrow, and probably be fine, but the fearful/wiser side of me doesn't want to risk it. Also, it seems as though my compression sleeves have been delayed and won't arrive until tomorrow, so I could wear them for my Thursday run. This whole injury thing sucks, I have too many competing thoughts on running again versus resting more.

At this point my mileage goal is a pipe dream, but my goal of being healthy to beginning marathon training on the 30th is doable, provided I let myself recover.
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn It's easier to preach than to practice....I know I'm notorious for not giving quite enough time for recovery and aggravating the injury again. I shudder to think of the runs I wouldn't have missed in the summer and fall if I'd properly healed a muscle strain behind my knee in spring :-o Oh the setbacks.....
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Thanks for your input @stoshew71 :) Like I said I can't seem to get to even one or two 7-8 mile runs and I'm injured so I feel I need to forget the idea of long runs for awhile. Maybe max out at 6 and just try to sustain 5 days a week for quite awhile before I try to increase distance of a single run. I was just curious because I've never heard anyone suggest that a new runner run doubles BEFORE increasing their long run.

Well the gait guys didn't actually suggest running doubles for a beginner. The host of the show asked what would be better, running a long run or running smaller runs more frequently and maybe even a double? The guy was just answering a very specific question posed at him. I don't think he was actually suggesting that a beginner runner to actually run a double.
  • bmelb1
    bmelb1 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 enjoyed the videos on layering and winter running.
    @MobyCarp love the new running gear and your hat collection.
    @Orphia I'd love to see your interview, you're a celebrity now!

Date Km Today - Km for Jan.
    1/3 5.73 - 5.73
    1/5 3.79 - 9.52
    1/6 5.41 - 14.93 10K running clinic
    1/8 6.08 - 21.01
    1/10 5.8 - 26.81
    =========
    Goal 75 km

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    Polar Hero 5km OCR? - 2/4
    Ottawa Tamarack 10km - 5/27
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Either I'm maturing as a runner, or I'm in hypochondriac mode. Even though today's run (fast though it was) went well, I'm seriously considering taking a rest day already tomorrow, even though I feel fine

I know that I could run tomorrow, and probably be fine, but the fearful/wiser side of me doesn't want to risk it. Also, it seems as though my compression sleeves have been delayed and won't arrive until tomorrow, so I could wear them for my Thursday run. This whole injury thing sucks, I have too many competing thoughts on running again versus resting more.

At this point my mileage goal is a pipe dream, but my goal of being healthy to beginning marathon training on the 30th is doable, provided I let myself recover.

Since your training hasn't started, it sure wouldn't hurt to take another rest day. Better to play it safe.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I can only speak from my experience, (substantial in cycling but limited in running), where I happen to agree with this and adopt a hybrid approach. I have been steadily increasing both the long run distance and frequency over the past six months, basically sticking to increasing weekly mileage by a max of 9%, (on a build-build-maintain-build-build-easy schedule so every six weeks I have one week I don't increase and one cutback week). At the end of each six week block I've been adding in another run to the week, (adjusting others to keep mileage increase to around 9%).

Now to get ready for long runs (2+ hours) there are two things you need to do - the first is to train your body to suitably use fat as a fuel, and the second is to build your physical endurance. The first comes from long runs, but by mixing up your fuelling status going into these runs you can do this with runs as short as 90 minutes. With regards physical endurance the benefit you get of running for more than around 2.5 hours starts to get outweighed by the increased risk of injury by spending that long running. You can still build that physical endurance by learning to run tired - for example by doing a tempo run the day before your weeks long run or by doing doubles. I've seen people successfully train for marathons this way with the long run never exceeding 18miles before race day - though many choose to do at least one 20+ miler for confidence sake. I've personally trained for a 100-mile bike ride in this sort of fashion (many years ago) - I only exceeded 50miles twice before the big day, with a couple of 100k (~60mile) charity rides.

For me this approach has worked really well with running too, and have massively exceeded my own expectations of how my running would progress in that time. I admit the experience from cycling has helped me (despite the significant differences - particularly around fuelling) but the most important thing regardless of approach is to listen to your body so as not to put too much stress on it and risk injury.

Edit: I should probably also stress I haven't yet listened to the podcast so just relaying my experience rather than specifically commenting on anything they said.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles:::: Jan MTD (goal = 70)
    01/01/17 :::: 4.3 :::: 4.3
    01/02/17 :::: 2.9 :::: 7.1
    01/03/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 10.3
    01/04/17 :::: 3.6 :::: 13.9
    01/05/17 :::: 3.3 :::: 17.2
    01/06/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 17.2
    01/07/17 :::: 6.9 :::: 24.2
    01/08/17 :::: 2.5 :::: 26.7
    01/09/17 :::: 2.8 :::: 29.5
    01/10/17 :::: 2.5 :::: 32.1

Treadmill run this morning. I felt a little tired after yesterday's snowshoe hike and hill repeats, but it went ok. I took an easy pace until the last couple of minutes and then cranked it up a bit. I'm glad I got it in, because right now the weather is AWFUL. Sleeting and very windy. The roads are miserable. I'm glad to be already tucked in at home.