What is your WHY?

Options

Replies

• MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    My Why, this is extremely powerful to me as this is what makes me continue my Journey. I was so sick last year, that I had to be hospitalized. This was my worst experience ever and I swore to myself I would never be put in the Hospital again if I could help it. No words can describe the Horror that I went through. With my mother passing away at 54 years old, and here I was being hospitalized at 54 I was just beside myself and I thought this was the end that I was never going to leave the hospital. So the longer I stayed, I started thinking this was a reality which scared me!

When I arrived at the ER I was having a gallbladder attack (simple, these are outpatient surgeries), not me I had such a bad infection internally within my body that I was in the hospital for a week just for them to treat the infection. Then they went to remove the gallbladder, and it was too large and inflamed that I had to be cut open for them to remove (my 10" scar that I see in the mirror everyday reminds me of this). I asked the Dtr's how can someone get an infection like I had in my body, and they all said the processed and fast food that American's consume on a daily basis. That is when reality hit, and I finally realized that I needed to do something different.

Which then I found this awesome product that I use, and it has helped me tremdously with my Weight loss. In 6 months I lost 59 lbs and I have another 50 to go. I am now just getting started again with My Fitness Pal and taking advantage of these groups/Forums to help me with this journey. The weight is slowly coming off, there is no magic pill and we all have to work to get it off. It took us awhile to gain and be in the situation we are, so it is not about to leave us without a fight. Between this Nutritious drink and my weight loss I have gotten off all of my Prescription medications. I'm totally on my way in making my life better, and when I start to slip and eat the bad foods or not care (I do have some of those day) then I always go back to my Why. If your Why doesn't keep you motivated, then you need to search deeper for that Why. As the WHY is extremely POWERFUL!

Wow! I can't imagine how scary that was for you. What an excellent reason why though. That is what it is all about. Finding that string, than when you pull on it, deep emotion is released and you truly understand why you need to take care of yourself. Thank you for sharing and good luck. Please feel free to let me know if I can support you in any way.
  • charli3anne
    charli3anne Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I had a missed miscarriage, on my first pregnancy, and obesity is a risk factor, terrified I'll never have kids. Pretty decent kick up the backside.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    alwinter09 wrote: »
    And yet, I keep sabotaging myself, but have no idea why. I WANT to lose weight, I WANT to want to exercise, and yet I keep falling short. I'm by far my own worst critic. When I have a bad day, I pout, feel down about myself, and give up on myself. I'm actually thinking about returning to therapy (I have a long family hx of abuse) because something has to give.

Amanda R

I encourage you to go back if you can. I, too, have a history of abuse (mostly emotional). I have returned several times because as healing happens it seems to reveal another layer of trauma that needs to be dealt with. For me, the damage is a huge part of why I couldn't find my deeper 'why' for being my best self. I had to learn to give myself permission.

So much this! Healing comes in layers. It took doing a lot of emotional work to get past the self sabotage and begin to succeed. Until then, start each day fresh and just keep going. If you work at the emotional, it will all catch up together eventually. In the meantime, you are practicing good habits at least a portion of the time (portion control, healthy eating, etc). You can start by reading the book The Beck Diet Solution. She does a good job of teaching cognitive therapy from home where you can begin working on some of the stuff you need to.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    My why is...I was sick of being fat, having my knees hurt, not sleeping well, and having everything in my life be difficult. I mean everything from tying shoes to wiping my backside
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    I had a missed miscarriage, on my first pregnancy, and obesity is a risk factor, terrified I'll never have kids. Pretty decent kick up the backside.

I'm sorry you had to go through that. I can't imagine how hard that was for you. Keep your head up, and if I can support you in anyway, please let me know.
  • spiveaa
    spiveaa Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    My WHY, it is to prove to myself I can and will do it!
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    If you find that your "why" is a little foggy, I highly recommend the book called Start with Why, by Simon Sinek. It is very helpful in this area.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    spiveaa wrote: »
    My WHY, it is to prove to myself I can and will do it!

Nothing wrong with that. Keep on pushing forward.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Have you ever played the 5 Why's Game? If you have kids, I bet they have. ;)

Do this for a goal you're thinking about striving for.
    Ask yourself why.
    Then ask yourself why again....
    Do this for a total of 5 times and you'll get to the route of why you want to do that. It will open your eyes to the true meanings behind it.

Example.
    I want to lose weight. Why?
    I want to feel better. Why?
    I want to be able to play with my kids like the other fathers/mothers do. Why?
    Because I hate it when I can't do something with my kids. Why?
    Because my kids matter to me. Why?
    Because I want to be around for them for a long time, and want them to be a good role model for them.

There you have it. Now you know why you want to lose weight. Now do something each and every day to remind yourself of that why. Take a picture of your kids. You won't give up now when it gets hard.

Give this a try and see if it defines your why more than you realized. Then, if you're comfortable enough, post below what you used this method on, and what you've realized is your "Why" for that goal. It doesn't have to be fitness related.

orcdsfxdmotq.jpg
  • BatCola
    BatCola Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I haven't found my why yet... I am not in a good place in my life right now. I have a lot of personal issues going on that has created so many obstacles for me. I find that giving up is just easier and any excuse will do for me to let go of even trying. I have been in and out off this site several times. It's full blown eating addiction. My weight has always been there. I was always a chubby kid and was severely mentally abuse by people who are suppose to love me and tried to shame me into changing. I was bribed, damned, and oinked at. Growing up for me life was really hard food was a reward. First of the month we feasted end of the month we had mashed potatoes if we was lucky. I'm 33 years old and smallest or well best I have looked was at 185lbs in a size 14. I would give anything to be that... but with this addiction I think its love that I am missing more than anything. I don't know how to love or even care enough about me. I think the majority of women in my shoes buy into the whole body positive fat acceptance movement because choices are 1. do something about it or 2. accept it? I keep gaining weight and I am at 343 down to 337 by eating more of those diet bars (Cliff, Heizers 35 wheat bread/meat and watching the bread intake). I just feel like I have years against me and change is really a force of will.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    BatCola wrote: »
    I haven't found my why yet... I am not in a good place in my life right now. I have a lot of personal issues going on that has created so many obstacles for me. I find that giving up is just easier and any excuse will do for me to let go of even trying. I have been in and out off this site several times. It's full blown eating addiction. My weight has always been there. I was always a chubby kid and was severely mentally abuse by people who are suppose to love me and tried to shame me into changing. I was bribed, damned, and oinked at. Growing up for me life was really hard food was a reward. First of the month we feasted end of the month we had mashed potatoes if we was lucky. I'm 33 years old and smallest or well best I have looked was at 185lbs in a size 14. I would give anything to be that... but with this addiction I think its love that I am missing more than anything. I don't know how to love or even care enough about me. I think the majority of women in my shoes buy into the whole body positive fat acceptance movement because choices are 1. do something about it or 2. accept it? I keep gaining weight and I am at 343 down to 337 by eating more of those diet bars (Cliff, Heizers 35 wheat bread/meat and watching the bread intake). I just feel like I have years against me and change is really a force of will.

Don't give up. I know it can be challenging at times, but this is one thing you can control. I cant imagine how gard the struggle is for you, but know that there are people out here that will support you. If you ever need someone to chat with, please feel free to reach out to me.
  • Jeannie3099
    Jeannie3099 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    For me, I want to live long enough to fall in love, get married, and be happy.

I was feeling pretty crumby for quite a while and I came to discover a lot of the "Yuck" was caused by the extra weight and my poor diet.

This sounds like one heck of a good reason! I want to feel younger, have less pain in my knees and be able to go on long walks in the mountains.
    Jeannie
  • AwkwardSprinkle
    AwkwardSprinkle Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think the WHY is very confusing to me. Not confusion, but uncertain.

I started losing weight in college, I was 320 pounds, 22 years old, a smoker, and always in pain. I got down to 233 pounds, and then my Mom died. I lost my motivation for weight loss, I got depressed, scared, suicidal and I let it all go. I ballooned back up to 288 pounds, and have made a million attempts to change my lifestyle along the way.

During a "fight" with my husband, I explained that he didn't support me losing weight. His response was "Well how can I support something you don't even believe in?" That really stuck with me, and I have been trying to find my why.

I've been lucky, although I did quit smoking, 288 pound me can still run, go up the stairs with ease, tie my shoes, paint my toes, and the only pain I have is in my right knee which stemmed from a traumatic injury when I was an all star national soccer player years and years ago.

So why...I think the why comes deep from within. I look at myself and don't recognize who I am. I feel like I have potential to be something great, to run a marathon, to train with athletes again, to appreciate and love the body I'm in rather than just force it through each moment. I think the motivation to be different, to be better, to make myself proud, to be what my parents thought I might be, to be what I thought I might be, to overcome trauma, abuse, and my own goddamn head to get to a place where I can look in the mirror, smile, and continue on with my day without feeling disgusted with myself but instead be proud of the woman I've become.
  • MikePXstream
    Options

So why...I think the why comes deep from within. I look at myself and don't recognize who I am. I feel like I have potential to be something great, to run a marathon, to train with athletes again, to appreciate and love the body I'm in rather than just force it through each moment. I think the motivation to be different, to be better, to make myself proud, to be what my parents thought I might be, to be what I thought I might be, to overcome trauma, abuse, and my own goddamn head to get to a place where I can look in the mirror, smile, and continue on with my day without feeling disgusted with myself but instead be proud of the woman I've become.

It definitely comes from within. You have to ask yourself why you want to be healthier, make yourself proud, etc. but then don't stop there. When you have an answer, ask yourself why to that answer. Do this several times and each tim you answer why to the previous answer, you will get a deeper response and the truth as to why you want what you do. It is then that you will feel inspired and motivated to do what you need to to overcome those obstacles. Thank you for sharing.

• MikePXstream
    Options
    audg4psg7ckg.jpg

Happy New Year! It's 2017. Are you off to a good start? Have you figured out your motivation, your inspiration, your WHY? Trust me when I say that when you discover your true reason why you want to be a little healthier, and little leaner, a little more fit, you will have all the motivation and inspiration you need to get started. After that, then it is just keeping that momentum.

So, what is your WHY? Has it changed since the last time you thought about it?
  • missteena88
    missteena88 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My whys:

I feel better when I'm leaner and healthier
    I was tired of not being able to find clothing to fit me
    I was tired of going places and just feeling self conscious about everything
    I want to be able to ride a roller coaster for once in my life
    I do not want to have a multitude of health problems as I age
    I do not want my weight to hold me back from anything in life
    I was a very different person when my husband I got together and I do not feel it is fair to him to settle with who I turned into. I felt I should change so I can be the very best person I can be for myself and for him. (Just for a note, he NEVER said anything to me about my weight and has always been supportive regardless of where I have been, but I still did not feel it fair to him that I let myself go so much.)
  • machete66
    machete66 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
  • mrskcreations
    mrskcreations Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My why is I don't want diabetes and I'm frankly scared of what will happen if I don't get control of my health now.

In September 2015, I decided to change my mindset toward food (Thanks to bakingmadgymaddict) I now see food as a way to fuel my body and not something to feed my emotions. I used to eat so much sweets and junk food. I never paid attention to what I ate except to avoid soda and fast food joints. I was never overweight, but as I near my 30s I know it will just be harder the longer I wait. Well, I went from 133 lbs to 120 lbs by Christmas. I felt amazing, and I hadn't even begun to exercise yet. Then after New Years I found out I was expecting my first baby. He is now a happy healthy 4 month old and the light of my life.

The day I delivered I weighed 170 lbs. I'm only 5' tall. Now I weigh 142, and am working to lose the weight getting down to my ideal 110-100 before baby #2. I'm scared of getting gestational diabetes or preeclampsia. I'm scared of feeling sluggish and tired and not being able to do anything for myself. After baby was born, I dealt with some PPD, where all I could do was sleep, and hardly ate, and only in the past 3 weeks have gotten my health and house back in shape.

My goal is to stay healthy. I log into Mfp not so much to restrict my calories as much as making sure I get enough protein and carbs to fuel my body so I can achieve my dreams and goals. I want to travel and wear beautiful clothes looking slim and chic. I want to play my piano looking elegant, and not focusing on my fat arms. I know 142 lbs doesn't sound like much, but I'm of small frame. I do carry my weight well, but I know what I could be. I miss being teeny.
  • eday79
    eday79 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My why is,
    After completing my family of 5 children, I wanted to strive to become the best version of myself inside & out.
    And God willing, be healthy enough to be around to guide & inspire them in their lives.