What is your WHY?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Who has their plan set already for the month?

I do! Eat healthy, stay active, get those fall chores done!!
  • The_Original_Beauty
    The_Original_Beauty Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am doing this for me. Because I deserve it. I deserve to be healthier. Not to follow in families footsteps. To lower my chances of preventable diseases. To teach my girls and show them how to be healthy. So i am not the fat friend. So i generally feel better.
  • cathymid
    cathymid Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My why is better health, less medication and higher self esteem. I gained weight after a car accident that left me with chronic back pain and more days on the couch than off of it. I've since had to start taking not one, but two meds to control my high BP, and have multiple other weight related health problems. I can't stand taking so much medication, and getting back to a healthy weight would allow me to drop many of them. I've had surgery to implant a spinal nerve stimulator to help control the back pain from the permanently damaged nerves, but less weight would help even more.

My self esteem takes a dive every morning when I struggle to find something to wear that fits and is comfortable. I just got remarried, and my wonderful, supportive new husband deserves a wife that eagerly jumps out of bed to greet the day with him, not someone who takes forever to find something to wear because nothing fits or feels comfortable!
  • MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    These are some great reasons why. I think it is so important to know why you want to be healthier. That is what is going to give you the drive an energy to keep going. I kind of lost mine for a little bit there, and it took this past trip home to my mom's to kind of spark it again. She passed away 2.5 years ago. I am still fighting with the court system to inherit her property, but a lot of the struggles and complications she endured with her diabetes was resurfaced when I was cleaning out her place, which reminded me why I workout out and eat right. So my kids do not have to go through with me what I did with my mom.
  • Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My why is sport related. I am a lifelong horseback rider and have dabbled in multiple disciplines over the years. As a teenager I saw an amazing rider and knew then that I wanted to be able to do the things he did. Now, nearly 30 years later, I am at a point in my life -- financially and with the necessary support -- to pursue that dream. The more I ride, the more I learn, the more I realize that to do that, I have to be an athlete. So, my why is to have the fitness to be able to pursue my dream.

This month will be hard because of my workload but I'm planning on some mega cooking this weekend to stock the freezer and an activity goal of at least 30 minutes of continuous movement per day. I won't advance my goals this month but I'm aiming to at least not backslide.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    My why is sport related. I am a lifelong horseback rider and have dabbled in multiple disciplines over the years. As a teenager I saw an amazing rider and knew then that I wanted to be able to do the things he did. Now, nearly 30 years later, I am at a point in my life -- financially and with the necessary support -- to pursue that dream. The more I ride, the more I learn, the more I realize that to do that, I have to be an athlete. So, my why is to have the fitness to be able to pursue my dream.

This month will be hard because of my workload but I'm planning on some mega cooking this weekend to stock the freezer and an activity goal of at least 30 minutes of continuous movement per day. I won't advance my goals this month but I'm aiming to at least not backslide.

That's awesome. A friend of mine is a rider and very much an athlete. Being fit plays a huge part in riding. Not only for yourself, but for your horse too. Good luck to you. If I can support you in anyway, please let me know.
  • Starrydance07
    Starrydance07 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love your encouraging words :# I want to have a bright and shiny future. Feel pleasant to myself, feel satisfied with my life.
  • mishii28
    mishii28 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My why is I want to travel the world and be able to appreciate it without the worries of not being able to hike that trail or walk the entire museum without aching. Being overweight gives me a lot of social anxiety and it has affected past life decisions. I'm hoping along with this physical health improvement I will also mentally improve myself a lot as well.
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    My why - I've lost a few friends/coworkers over the past couple of years, all 5-10 years younger than me, mostly health related. At my moms a few months ago, talking about work and she made a "well, you know you're getting old" type comment, and it hit, hard for some reason.

Looked at myself in the mirror and saw an out of shape old man. I'm only 57 lol. That, and my wife deserves much better than an out of shape old man for a husband, much better. So I told the old guy to piss off, and got to work.

No more of this "You know you're old" mindset BS. It's far too prevalent, and I bought into it.

No more.
  • beany2311
    beany2311 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My twin gets married this time next year
    I want to look stunning in a bridesmaid dress so we can have the perfect twin shot that I'm happy to put on my wall
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Excellent. Thank you for sharing. Take it one day at a time, focus on progression, and you will achieve your goals.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Have you ever wondered why it is we can so easily let poor nutritional choices creep into our lives or why it is so easy to not work out?

I saw an article the other day and it talked about how our great ancestors could kick our *kitten* right now, take our girl, or guy probably, run across the valley and barely break a sweat. Meanwhile a large majority of us might cramp up after 1/4 mile,and forget about slinging someone over our shoulder like a sack of potatoes. Have we really regressed that much?

I think about the Romans, Spartans, Vikings and other cultures from years past on how if you were not fit, strong and in shape, you would not survive or could not defend your family. Imagine a scenario like that now? Would you be able to defend your family, survive against the odds, or even be able to run for help? I mean after all, your cell phone battery could die on you by mid day right?

Just something to ponder. What do you think?
  • Here4Ponies
    Options
    Would you be able to defend your family, survive against the odds, or even be able to run for help? I mean after all, your cell phone battery could die on you by mid day right?

LOL. No, not without technological help. I think this is one of the reasons the Tough Mudder races and CrossFit are intriguing to me. They encourage using the body in functional ways (or seem to from this outsider's perspective). Someday I'll do an obstacle race.
  • alwinter09
    alwinter09 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I want to feel better about myself. I want to feel comfortable in my own skin, especially when shopping for clothes. I want to be healthy and more active, I want to lower my chances for weight-related illness like diabetes and hypertension.

And yet, I keep sabotaging myself, but have no idea why. I WANT to lose weight, I WANT to want to exercise, and yet I keep falling short. I'm by far my own worst critic. When I have a bad day, I pout, feel down about myself, and give up on myself. I'm actually thinking about returning to therapy (I have a long family hx of abuse) because something has to give.

Amanda R
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Would you be able to defend your family, survive against the odds, or even be able to run for help? I mean after all, your cell phone battery could die on you by mid day right?

LOL. No, not without technological help. I think this is one of the reasons the Tough Mudder races and CrossFit are intriguing to me. They encourage using the body in functional ways (or seem to from this outsider's perspective). Someday I'll do an obstacle race.

I have done a couple of mud runs. They are a lot of fun and definitely test your agility and functional fitness. I am considering doing the Spartan Sprint.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    alwinter09 wrote: »
    I want to feel better about myself. I want to feel comfortable in my own skin, especially when shopping for clothes. I want to be healthy and more active, I want to lower my chances for weight-related illness like diabetes and hypertension.

And yet, I keep sabotaging myself, but have no idea why. I WANT to lose weight, I WANT to want to exercise, and yet I keep falling short. I'm by far my own worst critic. When I have a bad day, I pout, feel down about myself, and give up on myself. I'm actually thinking about returning to therapy (I have a long family hx of abuse) because something has to give.

Amanda R

Wanting to feel better about yourself and comfortable in your own skin are great places to start. Now, expand on that. Dig a little deeper. Why do you want to feel better about yourself? Why do you want to feel comfortable in your own skin? The further you dig, the more revealed you true why will be, and that is what will motivate you to keep going! It took me a little bit to discover that, but once I did, that made all the difference.
  • Here4Ponies
    Options
    alwinter09 wrote: »

Amanda R

I encourage you to go back if you can. I, too, have a history of abuse (mostly emotional). I have returned several times because as healing happens it seems to reveal another layer of trauma that needs to be dealt with. For me, the damage is a huge part of why I couldn't find my deeper 'why' for being my best self. I had to learn to give myself permission.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    What's up MFP peeps? How is this week going for you so far? Anything new and exciting to share?
  • virginiashannon
    virginiashannon Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My Why, this is extremely powerful to me as this is what makes me continue my Journey. I was so sick last year, that I had to be hospitalized. This was my worst experience ever and I swore to myself I would never be put in the Hospital again if I could help it. No words can describe the Horror that I went through. With my mother passing away at 54 years old, and here I was being hospitalized at 54 I was just beside myself and I thought this was the end that I was never going to leave the hospital. So the longer I stayed, I started thinking this was a reality which scared me!

When I arrived at the ER I was having a gallbladder attack (simple, these are outpatient surgeries), not me I had such a bad infection internally within my body that I was in the hospital for a week just for them to treat the infection. Then they went to remove the gallbladder, and it was too large and inflamed that I had to be cut open for them to remove (my 10" scar that I see in the mirror everyday reminds me of this). I asked the Dtr's how can someone get an infection like I had in my body, and they all said the processed and fast food that American's consume on a daily basis. That is when reality hit, and I finally realized that I needed to do something different.

Which then I found this awesome product that I use, and it has helped me tremdously with my Weight loss. In 6 months I lost 59 lbs and I have another 50 to go. I am now just getting started again with My Fitness Pal and taking advantage of these groups/Forums to help me with this journey. The weight is slowly coming off, there is no magic pill and we all have to work to get it off. It took us awhile to gain and be in the situation we are, so it is not about to leave us without a fight. Between this Nutritious drink and my weight loss I have gotten off all of my Prescription medications. I'm totally on my way in making my life better, and when I start to slip and eat the bad foods or not care (I do have some of those day) then I always go back to my Why. If your Why doesn't keep you motivated, then you need to search deeper for that Why. As the WHY is extremely POWERFUL!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Today my why is wanting my kids to be proud of me.