No sugars and no carbs

Options

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Thank you for some insightful tips and the website I will look at that Jeanieneni. This is the diet my doctor put me on.
    The paper he gave me states
    1. If it tastes sweet it has sugar examples.... orange juice, fruits , all diet sodas and crystal light. No Splenda, equal or sugar twins.
    2. If food is off white or white in color it's most likely starch ( few exceptions). Example no bread, pizza, cake, pies, pastas, rice and potatoes.

Rule of thumb white or sweet you can not have it

Meat- all I want: beef, pork, poultry, seafood, rabbit as much as I want.

Veggies- you can eat all the fresh or frozen veggies excluding corn, beans, and peas. Green beans are ok

Garden salads- as much as I like. Dressing only oil and vinegar, Italian and Caesar.

Eggs- you can eat all the eggs, bacon and sausage you like

Last but not least lots of water at least half a gallon a day which is easy for me I love water.

Please don't judge what my doctor put me on. Some of you had some lovely comments. This is not an insane diet it is just what my doctor put me on. All I asked for was for help from those who were on a similar diet. Maybe I should have written the whole chart like this from the beginning. I do not have sugar issues This is what he said would help me loose the best and I just said I would try it. I'm 2 weeks in and have lost 5.4lbs without being 100% on this diet and lost an inch in the waist and an inch in the hips.
    All of these that you mentioned have zero sugar. Zero. This makes no sense. He may be your doctor, but that doesn't automatically mean he knows about nutrition.

sounds like the 21 day sugar detox diet to me(Lord I hope not),someone on another social networking site said they were on it and that their doctor ok'ed it too
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If you eat all the beef and pork you want I would think you would gain weight and your cholesterol would increase. You should talk to a dietician for dietary advice of this nature. MDs don't specialize in diets and it sounds like this doctor is giving general guidelines but if you eat the way you describe you can easily gain weight and have other health issues. If you eat to much of anything you will have negative side effects. There is nothing wrong with low carb if it's done correctly. Good luck

As a rule, carnivorous diets do not tend to lead to weight gain and high cholesterol. In most cases it is the opposite.

Of course if you eat too much food you will gain weight regardless.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    I try and eat low carb and low sugar...I find that when I do that my calories go further.

I re-did my settings in MFP to show 20% of my calories from carbs instead of the preset 40%. We eat a lot of lean proteins, fruits, veggies (yes, I know there are some carbs in those...) and I have no problem staying under.

My husband and I have both been doing this since the 1st and are enjoying the scale going in the right direction and trying new things! I've been trying new recipes that are veggie forward and have enjoyed them! Feel free to send me a friend request and that will open up my diary for you if you want some ideas!

its one thing if you incorporate fruits and veggies like you do,its also great that you are :) but some of these latest diet fads are telling people to cut out all fruits except for a select 2 or 3,and a crap load of veggies arent allowed, no breads,grains(except rice),no dairy and so on and so forth. some of them are very restrictive.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Nevermind. :|
  • nvmomketo
    Options

Thank you for some insightful tips and the website I will look at that Jeanieneni. This is the diet my doctor put me on.
    1. If it tastes sweet it has sugar examples.... orange juice, fruits , all diet sodas and crystal light. No Splenda, equal or sugar twins.
    2. If food is off white or white in color it's most likely starch ( few exceptions). Example no bread, pizza, cake, pies, pastas, rice and potatoes.

Veggies- you can eat all the fresh or frozen veggies excluding corn, beans, and peas. Green beans are ok

Garden salads- as much as I like. Dressing only oil and vinegar, Italian and Caesar.

Last but not least lots of water at least half a gallon a day which is easy for me I love water.

Please don't judge what my doctor put me on. Some of you had some lovely comments. This is not an insane diet it is just what my doctor put me on. All I asked for was for help from those who were on a similar diet. Maybe I should have written the whole chart like this from the beginning. I do not have sugar issues This is what he said would help me loose the best and I just said I would try it. I'm 2 weeks in and have lost 5.4lbs without being 100% on this diet and lost an inch in the waist and an inch in the hips.
    All of these that you mentioned have zero sugar. Zero. This makes no sense. He may be your doctor, but that doesn't automatically mean he knows about nutrition.

What has zero sugar? The Crystal light and diet soda have no sugars (I believe) but orange juice and fruits do. The sweeteners usually have some sort of bulking agent like maltodextrin which is basically just sugars once it hits your saliva.

As you know, carbs are basically sugars: glucose, fructose, lactose, etc. That is what all carbs break down to. Sure, technically rice or potatoes have no or almost no sugars but the starches in them are just chains of sugar. Pretty much the same thing in the long run, with just a few more micronutrients than table sugar. ;)
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options

This is basically a Ketogenic, or high fat/low carb diet (HFLC). I've eaten this way for over a year and have lost over 30 lbs.
    This type of diet is good for those who have a lot of weight to lose. The fat consumed helps increase the feeling of satiety; allowing for decreased cravings and hunger.
    Mainstream nutrition generally doesn't agree with this type of diet, but it works.

It works for you. But you have to realize that satiety is a very individual thing. Fats, for example, do absolutely nothing to satiate me.

No one diet is suitable for everyone, of course, but low carb diets are absolutely effective for weight loss. They've proven to be at least as effective as calorie controlled diets in randomized controlled trials and often time perform better.

I meant to bold the part about fats increasing the feeling of satiety, which is what my comment was specifically addressing. That said, I'd love it if you could point me to the studies you're referring to. I have to imagine that those who lost weight on low carb diets were also carrying a caloric deficit.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

What has zero sugar? The Crystal light and diet soda have no sugars (I believe) but orange juice and fruits do. The sweeteners usually have some sort of bulking agent like maltodextrin which is basically just sugars once it hits your saliva.

As you know, carbs are basically sugars: glucose, fructose, lactose, etc. That is what all carbs break down to. Sure, technically rice or potatoes have no or almost no sugars but the starches in them are just chains of sugar. Pretty much the same thing in the long run, with just a few more micronutrients than table sugar. ;)

The poster was referring to the bolded artificial sweetener things not the juice and fruits
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

The poster was referring to the bolded artificial sweetener things not the juice and fruits

Ah. Oops. The bolded was not noticeable on my screen. I see it now.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    This is basically a Ketogenic, or high fat/low carb diet (HFLC). I've eaten this way for over a year and have lost over 30 lbs.
    This type of diet is good for those who have a lot of weight to lose. The fat consumed helps increase the feeling of satiety; allowing for decreased cravings and hunger.
    Mainstream nutrition generally doesn't agree with this type of diet, but it works.

It works for you. But you have to realize that satiety is a very individual thing. Fats, for example, do absolutely nothing to satiate me.

No one diet is suitable for everyone, of course, but low carb diets are absolutely effective for weight loss. They've proven to be at least as effective as calorie controlled diets in randomized controlled trials and often time perform better.

I meant to bold the part about fats increasing the feeling of satiety, which is what my comment was specifically addressing. That said, I'd love it if you could point me to the studies you're referring to. I have to imagine that those who lost weight on low carb diets were also carrying a caloric deficit.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4351995/
    It appears that low carb diets will increase CO of CI<CO a small amount, at least in the short term. It's still a caloric deficit, just not the expected one. YMMV
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

Of course they were in a deficit, they lost weight. The diet instructions in these RCT's are ad libitum. Low carb dieters spontaneously reduce their calories when instructed to eat to satiety. Why the calorie reduction happens is still up for debate. Some speculate it's the satiating effects of protein or fat, possibly improved diet quality, or that ketones have an appetite suppressing effect.

As for the links, I'm sorry but I've found linking to studies to be a complete waste of time so I prefer not to anymore. The studies aren't obscure though so if you're interested enough a quick google scholar search will turn up results.
  • sydney_bosque
    sydney_bosque Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This is what I do! I feel awesome, btw. No added sugars or simple carbs. All vegetables, fruits, and lean/plant-based proteins. No dairy. I eat a lot of shrimp. It's naturally low in fat and very high in protein, which is what helps me hit what I need during the day. I also eat a lot of vegetable soups, and blend them if I don't like a particular vegetable but need to eat it. I also use a lot of seasonings to make things taste better. I do eat honey in very small quantities. Have you looked into chia pudding? There's a lot you can do with it and have a good dessert. Plus, you can make it with water instead of milk if you're avoiding dairy.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    So far I have gotten good help. Thank you for the website to look at for a ketogenic diet. Also the suggestion to go to the low carber daily group. As I mistakenly put no carbs and I have realized it was a low carb no sugar diet. I am new to this diet and I see not many people understand why I'm on this restrictive diet. I am not on it for medical reasons. My doctor put me on it to loose weight. He explained that women mostly gain weight in the belly and hip area eating carbs and sugar and that this diet would help get rid of that area. I said I would try this diet. I'm only a couple of weeks in and instead of giving up I asked for help on ideas for eating and hoping to find others on a diet similar to this to get extra support. I have lost weight so I don't see the point on giving up on it yet. I'm not eating 100% for this diet yet but I am trying to transition into it and learn new ways to plan meals and snacks to be within this diet. Again thank you to those who have been helpful. I really needed the advice.

Your doctor is off his rocker. Carbs and sugar do not preferentially cause fat storage in any particular area of the body and you cannot spot reduce any particular area of the body via diet (nor exercise, for that matter). Your fat storage patterns are genetically predetermined and carbs/sugar (or fats or proteins for that matter) do not influence or change that. It sounds like your doctor has bought into the woo touted by fad diets. Which is not surprising because, as Ninerbuff said, the vast majority of doctors have very little training in nutrition. That nonsense about sugar and carbs being stored on your belly and hips sounds like something straight out of Women's World magazine, not something a medical professional should be spreading.

Diet sodas, Crystal Light and artificial sweeteners do not have any sugar in them. None. Corn, in particular of the vegetables you mentioned, is fairly high in carbs and sugars compared to many other vegetables. One cup of yellow corn has 133 calories, 30g of carbs and 5g of sugars - in other words, the vast majority of calories in a cup of corn are from carbohydrates. If you're attempting to maintain a ketogenic diet and you take him literally at his "all you can eat" of those vegetables, you're taking in a lot more carbs than are allowed on a keto diet.

Corn was an exclusion.... Along with beans (not green beans) and peas.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Most would agree it's best to maintain your weight loss (your end goal) the same way you lost it.

I personally could not eat that way pretty much the rest of my life. Which more than likely you will need to do.

Wishing you success!!