No sugars and no carbs

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Sent you a message about my experience. I was on strict protein diet and lost 44 lbs. BUT my cholestrol skyrocketed and it gave me high blood pressure. Both were perfect before the diet. That was 1999 and I still can't get off the bp meds. The American Heart Assoc said that women should avoid high protein/high fat diets after 50 as it's hard on your heart (you don't look 50, but for those considering it, check out the study). I did drink diet pop ONLY and it still allowed me to drop 44 lbs so he's wrong about artificial sweetners. My suggestion is use some carbs, I think it's not healthy to avoid them 100%. I really hope you reconsider. I cringe at doctors who suggest this diet. It's a quick fix but not long lasting and can be very unhealthy. Maybe for some even worse.

There is a subset of people who do not respond well to SFA and see declines in metabolic markers. It would also come into question, if you were eating adequate MUFA and any plant based proteins as a means to get protein. Some of the more current research that I have seen would suggest, at least 15% of calories, that SFA is not as harmful as once thought. But that study shouldn't be interpreted as go eat as much SFA as possible. But it's unfortunately to hear you had a bad experience.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    So far I have gotten good help. Thank you for the website to look at for a ketogenic diet. Also the suggestion to go to the low carber daily group. As I mistakenly put no carbs and I have realized it was a low carb no sugar diet. I am new to this diet and I see not many people understand why I'm on this restrictive diet. I am not on it for medical reasons. My doctor put me on it to loose weight. He explained that women mostly gain weight in the belly and hip area eating carbs and sugar and that this diet would help get rid of that area. I said I would try this diet. I'm only a couple of weeks in and instead of giving up I asked for help on ideas for eating and hoping to find others on a diet similar to this to get extra support. I have lost weight so I don't see the point on giving up on it yet. I'm not eating 100% for this diet yet but I am trying to transition into it and learn new ways to plan meals and snacks to be within this diet. Again thank you to those who have been helpful. I really needed the advice.

Your doctor really misinformed you, though. A doctor doesn't have any nutrition/diet training past a semester. See a Dietitian not a doctor or Nutritionist.

"women mostly gain weight in the belly and hip area eating carbs and sugar and that this diet would help get rid of that area." No, not true. Not even close to the truth. I've lost over 100lbs eating lots of carbs. And, you cannot spot reduce. You lost weight because you were in a calorie deficit, not because of no carbs. You do not need to restrict yourself like this unless you have a medical condition....
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Sugar didn't make you gain weight...EXCESS CALORIES DID!

Well yeah, obviously! Overeating sugar ;) Bash fat all you want, but I can tell you that I have never sat with a tub of butter, unable to put the utensil down because I just HAD to have another bite. Substitute butter with ice cream however, and you'll see where my weight problems come from.

If you re-read my post, I had nothing bad to say about restricting all calories and keeping sugar in your diet. It is (not-so-simple) physics of energy in, energy out (not-so-simple due to the variables that can change the rate (metabolism) of the individual's energy expenditure, but simple due to the easy to understand concept of what goes in, must come out) This was just my viewpoint on a type of diet that a lot of people seem misinformed about. I don't think many people just jump on the ketogenic diet without doing some research first. And the research predominantly states that it's hella good for my purposes.

Check the nutrition info on the ice cream and you'll see it likely has as much fat as sugar.

The ice cream I eat has 17g sugar and 6g Fat for 200g. Calorie for calorie it has a tad more fat than carbs/sugar, or am i mathing wrong?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    So far I have gotten good help. Thank you for the website to look at for a ketogenic diet. Also the suggestion to go to the low carber daily group. As I mistakenly put no carbs and I have realized it was a low carb no sugar diet. I am new to this diet and I see not many people understand why I'm on this restrictive diet. I am not on it for medical reasons. My doctor put me on it to loose weight. He explained that women mostly gain weight in the belly and hip area eating carbs and sugar and that this diet would help get rid of that area. I said I would try this diet. I'm only a couple of weeks in and instead of giving up I asked for help on ideas for eating and hoping to find others on a diet similar to this to get extra support. I have lost weight so I don't see the point on giving up on it yet. I'm not eating 100% for this diet yet but I am trying to transition into it and learn new ways to plan meals and snacks to be within this diet. Again thank you to those who have been helpful. I really needed the advice.

Your doctor really misinformed you, though. A doctor doesn't have any nutrition/diet training past a semester. See a Dietitian not a doctor or Nutritionist.

"women mostly gain weight in the belly and hip area eating carbs and sugar and that this diet would help get rid of that area." No, not true. Not even close to the truth. I've lost over 100lbs eating lots of carbs. And, you cannot spot reduce. You lost weight because you were in a calorie deficit, not because of no carbs. You do not need to restrict yourself like this unless you have a medical condition....

well Im glad im losing fat off my belly and hips eating carbs and sugar. I eat a LOT of carbs too and have a metabolic disorder and still lose fat due to CICO(a deficit).
  • tarothelp
    tarothelp Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Look up info on ketogenic diet. I have done it I think it's fab and works for many people in the absence of carbohydrates your body will burn fat for fuel you will not store fat on your body you have to eat adequate amounts of healthy fat coconut oil fish oils things like this good luck I'm sure you'll do great
    Best of luck!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I questioned my doctor about the bacon because he said no fried food and I also know it's fat is high.

Pigs do not contain sugar.

But the babies are so sweet!

Lm5JL.gif

I'm never eating bacon again! :sad:
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I questioned my doctor about the bacon because he said no fried food and I also know it's fat is high.

Pigs do not contain sugar.

But the babies are so sweet!

Lm5JL.gif

I'm never eating bacon again! :sad:

Ha, my parents raised pigs when I was a kid and they do not look like that before they go to to processing :p
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Thank you for some insightful tips and the website I will look at that Jeanieneni. This is the diet my doctor put me on.
    The paper he gave me states
    1. If it tastes sweet it has sugar examples.... orange juice, fruits , all diet sodas and crystal light. No Splenda, equal or sugar twins.
    2. If food is off white or white in color it's most likely starch ( few exceptions). Example no bread, pizza, cake, pies, pastas, rice and potatoes.

Rule of thumb white or sweet you can not have it

Meat- all I want: beef, pork, poultry, seafood, rabbit as much as I want.

Veggies- you can eat all the fresh or frozen veggies excluding corn, beans, and peas. Green beans are ok

Garden salads- as much as I like. Dressing only oil and vinegar, Italian and Caesar.

Eggs- you can eat all the eggs, bacon and sausage you like

Last but not least lots of water at least half a gallon a day which is easy for me I love water.

Please don't judge what my doctor put me on. Some of you had some lovely comments. This is not an insane diet it is just what my doctor put me on. All I asked for was for help from those who were on a similar diet. Maybe I should have written the whole chart like this from the beginning. I do not have sugar issues This is what he said would help me loose the best and I just said I would try it. I'm 2 weeks in and have lost 5.4lbs without being 100% on this diet and lost an inch in the waist and an inch in the hips.

Most doctors don't know a whole lot about nutrition, so patients with dietary issues should be referred to a dietitian.

The way to lose weight is to eat at a calorie deficit no matter what type of diet you choose. Low/lower carb works well for some, not so well for others.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    If you eat all the beef and pork you want I would think you would gain weight and your cholesterol would increase. You should talk to a dietician for dietary advice of this nature. MDs don't specialize in diets and it sounds like this doctor is giving general guidelines but if you eat the way you describe you can easily gain weight and have other health issues. If you eat to much of anything you will have negative side effects. There is nothing wrong with low carb if it's done correctly. Good luck

As a rule, carnivorous diets do not tend to lead to weight gain and high cholesterol. In most cases it is the opposite.

Of course if you eat too much food you will gain weight regardless.

I am not sure I would suggest that is a rule. I think it's a bit skewed since the people you are following that do it, are also into fitness.

Its like saying as a rule, plant-based are healthier people. But it's also correlated to the fact the many are paying attention to nutrition more and exercising more.

This could well be.