Gym Hogs Vent

Options

Replies

• Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Carlos, what else am I supposed to call the guy? He had a tattoo on his forehead that said "USDA PRIME CUT MEAT". The sign-in book at the front desk showed him signing in as "Meat Head". When he was flexing in the mirror between his sets his fans in that area of the gym starting chanting "MEAT HEAD, MEAT HEAD, MEAT HEAD, MEAT HEAD". The dude was smiling and was not getting angry, so I think he likes being called Meathead.
    Are you kidding me? LOL - I would have asked to get a photo lol.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Ask to work in and stop whining about it. It makes no damned difference if he's resting between sets, posing in the mirror, or going back to the locker room for a wank. You don't ask to work it, you don' get to work in.

It's really not that hard a concept - you don't get what you don't ask for.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    Ask to work in and stop whining about it. It makes no damned difference if he's resting between sets, posing in the mirror, or going back to the locker room for a wank. You don't ask to work it, you don' get to work in.

pretty much this... or chose to do a different exercise until he's finished instead of complaining about it. you said you walked the track in the meantime so whats the problem? the guy isn't a mind reader. he has the same right to be there using the equipment as you do. didn't know there were time limits on these things now...
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    It wasn't me JoRocka, I am at the gym waiting for a meathead to finish his campout on the incline bench. But I am not complaining, besides I never flag comments, pretty lame thing to do.

I see we're back to calling people meatheads again.
    It's funny how it's just fine to throw derogatory names at people who have already achieved a level of fitness while it would be universally condemned (and rightly so) if a gym veteran came here to rant about a "chubby newb" who uses equipment incorrectly.

Actually I think he was kind of making fun of himself? That's how I read it.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    It wasn't me JoRocka, I am at the gym waiting for a meathead to finish his campout on the incline bench. But I am not complaining, besides I never flag comments, pretty lame thing to do.

I see we're back to calling people meatheads again.
    It's funny how it's just fine to throw derogatory names at people who have already achieved a level of fitness while it would be universally condemned (and rightly so) if a gym veteran came here to rant about a "chubby newb" who uses equipment incorrectly.

Actually I think he was kind of making fun of himself? That's how I read it.
    I am at the gym waiting for a meathead to finish his campout on the incline bench.

I honestly have no idea how you got that out of this quote.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    It read to me like he was poking fun at himself. People has criticised him for using that word and I assumed he was being ironic.
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    Should have asked him how many sets he has and then hung around him waiting but doing other machines. Him walking away and taking long breaks inbetween sets and flexing, that's BS!!!
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »

Well, now there is an exercise that people may not appreciate a request to work in on.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    It read to me like he was poking fun at himself. People has criticised him for using that word and I assumed he was being ironic.

Yes people, he was being facetious. I know it's hard to read tone in written word, but OP was trying to make light of the subject and himself.

I for one, OP, am glad to see you have a sense of humor and take all this in good stride.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    If I'm on the incline by myself doing heavy sets, I might take a little longer between sets because there is no partner to fill in and it just seems like I'm hogging the incline. Plus heavier sets require more time between sets. Luckily there are 4 incline benches and 4 flat where I workout and I don't mind people working in with me. In power lifting I'm looking to get the most out of my heavy lifts, we don't pose in the mirror.
  • akoivisto
    akoivisto Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    CRUCIFY! CRUCIFY! *rabble rouses*
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options

Yes people, he was being facetious. I know it's hard to read tone in written word, but OP was trying to make light of the subject and himself.

I for one, OP, am glad to see you have a sense of humor and take all this in good stride.

Thank you - facetious! That's the word I was looking for.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Z_I_L_L_A wrote: »
    If I'm on the incline by myself doing heavy sets, I might take a little longer between sets because there is no partner to fill in and it just seems like I'm hogging the incline. Plus heavier sets require more time between sets. Luckily there are 4 incline benches and 4 flat where I workout and I don't mind people working in with me. In power lifting I'm looking to get the most out of my heavy lifts, we don't pose in the mirror.

That's why there's signs that say "Don't remain seated on equipment" so others can jump in. Exactly, I don't have issues working in with people or letting them work in, unless they're on the only leg press and have all the plates on it... um I'll wait OR I'll do something else while said person is moving that press 2 inches...

If I happen to be ripped, you betcho buns I'm gonna strike some poses. I mean you can't just be ripped and not be tempted to do that. You made it that far. Gotta rub it in to the rest of the gym. Pound your chest a few times.

• curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My wife says when I'm not paying attention to people around me I appear angry but I'm not I am actually pretty friendly and would gladly let you work in. I'd probably even help you load and unload my end of the bar. While you were straining through your rapid sets with short rest breaks in between I might actually spot you so that you don't get hurt but I can't do any of this if no one asks.

I like shotguns too maybe we could even be friends.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Comptoneliza, the community voice of reason!
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Comptoneliza, the community voice of reason!

Cheers, Donna :smiley:
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    So yesterday at the gym the gym manager wanted a moment with me since he had had time (I would suppose) to read and digest my "Comment Rant-Vent" in the "Gym Comments Section" that I left after my workout the other day. He told me that I was on "Double-Secret-Probation" (they have never had to enforce this extreme measure before) for not asking the MeatHead how many sets he had left, for 'assuming', and that I would be charged $19.95 for the cost of a new coat of floor sealer each time that they have to put it down on the part of the walkway where I walk while waiting for MeatHead to finish his 2 hour incline bench workout and posing sessions. Seems fair considering the labor costs of stripping and sealing the floor.

Gym manager had talked to MeatHead who offered me a job to spot him and take pics of him in-between his sets, and that he would help train me a little on how to lift and how to accommodate 'Gym Protocol'.

I thought this was more then fair, and actually quite nice of MeatHead. So I am meeting him at the incline bench this afternoon for our first session.

I will update how it goes this evening after our workout.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Let that be a lesson to you.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Whenever I see posts like this my first question is "Why didn't you ask?". I used to ask myself the same and now just ask. Life is so much easier when you communicate. Being a bit more practiced I will often make the first move on a machine and ask the person if they want to work in and let them know what I have left to do.

Social media has given rise to a lot of bad behavior, passive aggressive is the most common. With the instant availability of people we want to talk to we no longer have to pass time communicating with people in public. Like any other skill communication needs to be practiced.