Looking for Ketogenic friends

Options

Replies

• adamboydharris
    adamboydharris Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    rinigirl76 wrote: »
    I had two milk choc. pretzel's last night and still lost 1 lb yesterday..

Avoid those sugars!
  • adamboydharris
    Options
    I did LCHF, logging everything in MFP in 2012-2013 and lost 120 lbs. Was dating a chef and thought I could maintain without LC (I was wrong) and that combined with damaging my knees in 2015 (had knee surgery on both knees in 2016) and stopping being active, I gained almost 100 back.

I need to start treating carbs like an addiction, realizing that I can't eat them again without going back to the bad place. The lifestyle works, but for me, it needs to be forever.

I was released from PT the week before Christmas 2016, and so restarted Keto Dec 26. In week 3 now, over the flu hump, my knees feel great, no more afternoon fog/sleepiness, and sleeping through the night much better. Now trying to slowly add in exercise.

Goals are to get off BP meds (back in 2013 I was off them, and all of my other numbers have always been good), and participate in a 5k by September (I'm going from zero stamina or speed and with bad knees so this is going to be a slow trek, literally).

My diary is open, and so am I -- happy to have more friends and support. So say hey or friend me if you're inclined!

Go you!
  • adamboydharris
    Options
    andrea4736 wrote: »
    mmoore9242 wrote: »
    Doing pretty good today. Under 35 carbs!

Don't count dietary insoluble fiber against your total carbs. For example if a vege has 5 carbs with 3 of those carbs made up of 3 dietary fiber, that is only 2 net carbs. Shoot for 20g net carbs and you'll be shedding weight!

I REALLY wish there was a display option for NET carbs!!

Yep! A lot of us have put in tickets with MyFitnessPal pal to add this. They have confirmed in future iterations this will be an option. For now just subtract fiber from carbs and annotate in notes section if you wish.
  • adamboydharris
    Options
    DPruneda17 wrote: »
    On day 12, and down 7 lbs... 20 more to go! I do love the flavors, with butter and herbs and SALT! I was so afraid of butter and salt before. Nice to sauté my veggies in it! And it's been fun being creative with my foods.

Salt, seasoning, and more salt!
  • jwilson80121
    jwilson80121 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Im on week 3 or so of my "keto" diet im not sure if i am actually following a great keto diet as i started it inadvertently. Any friends that are doing t as well would be a great help.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    As posted above, the Low Carber Daily is another good MFP group to go to for keto advice and support.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

I believe the LCD's launch pad sticky has instructions on how to set up your carbs as net carbs instead of total - if you wish. Many of us just use total carbs for keeping it easy. Some go with slightly higher when using total instead of net carbs. (ie. 20g net or 30g total)
  • mamalaboss
    mamalaboss Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    One of my best friends has been singing keto praises for a while but I was skeptical probably because of my love of carbs! I usually do fine as I like to workout but since baby#3 I have not been able to shed the pounds. I am up 40lbs from my 50 lb loss pre baby.
  • beccyb91
    beccyb91 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been keto for a few months :) Only just started more strictly tracking :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    mamalaboss wrote: »
    One of my best friends has been singing keto praises for a while but I was skeptical probably because of my love of carbs! I usually do fine as I like to workout but since baby#3 I have not been able to shed the pounds. I am up 40lbs from my 50 lb loss pre baby.

Regardless if you do keto, lchf or any other diet, it's about finding an approach which will allow you to cut calories and eat less food than you burn in a given day. Some benefit from keto, some do not. Good luck finding an approach that supports your goals.
  • adamboydharris
    Options
    Im on week 3 or so of my "keto" diet im not sure if i am actually following a great keto diet as i started it inadvertently. Any friends that are doing t as well would be a great help.

Learn your macros here: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • adamboydharris
    Options

Your body will produce its own carbs if it needs it. Ketones (chemical produced by your body when in ketosis) offers the same amount of energy once you fully convert. Lots of science behind it. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AOJxfh0b3o8

I rant and rave about it as well. It's the perfect diet if you love meat and cheese! But forget about those French fries and pasta ;)
  • adamboydharris
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Regardless if you do keto, lchf or any other diet, it's about finding an approach which will allow you to cut calories and eat less food than you burn in a given day. Some benefit from keto, some do not. Good luck finding an approach that supports your goals.

Well said. Find something that works for you and something you can maintain/stick with.
  • mamalaboss
    Options
    The hubby and I are doing a Daniel fast to start the year out spiritually fit and we've decided to give Keto a try come February. I've been doing my research... I think it will stick. Looking forward to getting started!
  • mamalaboss
    Options
    Any Canadian keto-ers? Where do you shop?
  • Libellue23
    Libellue23 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Once you're fat adapted ketone urine strips wont be as reliable.
    These strips are used by diabetics to monitor for ketoacidosis. They work really well when you first start but not so good after.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    andrea4736 wrote: »
    mmoore9242 wrote: »
    Doing pretty good today. Under 35 carbs!

Don't count dietary insoluble fiber against your total carbs. For example if a vege has 5 carbs with 3 of those carbs made up of 3 dietary fiber, that is only 2 net carbs. Shoot for 20g net carbs and you'll be shedding weight!

I REALLY wish there was a display option for NET carbs!!

tampermonkey.com works for desktop
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Any Canadian keto-ers? Where do you shop?

Superstore. :)
  • rinigirl76
    rinigirl76 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info.. on Keto for about 8 days now and lost 7lbs! so excited about losing this weight!~
  • 111abc111
    111abc111 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Keep it up!
  • curvytattooedprincess
    Options
    Hi all, I'm Alicia newish to the keto way of life. Would love to have to LC friends