New You by the New Year Challenge

Options

Replies

• DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    If anyone is interested/thinks it's a good idea, could we also track body fat percentage as a part of our goals? I personally get scale obessed sometimes even though I know it's not the best measure. In fact, in the depths of horror that was the evil scale incident, it was BF% that stopped me from jumping off a cliff.

I used this website's calculator. You need a tape measure and your current weight.

http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html
  • snobuni08
    snobuni08 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Well team 2 & 3 I wish you the best of luck ... but i have to say team 1 is gonna kick some BUTT!!!!
  • snobuni08
    snobuni08 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If anyone is interested/thinks it's a good idea, could we also track body fat percentage as a part of our goals? I personally get scale obessed sometimes even though I know it's not the best measure. In fact, in the depths of horror that was the evil scale incident, it was BF% that stopped me from jumping off a cliff.

I used this website's calculator. You need a tape measure and your current weight.

I like the idea..
  • wvualum
    wvualum Posts: 428
    Options
    Nikki, I do think Team 1 is going to kick some butt, but I may be biased!

Bec, including this week there are 24 weeks to New Years!

What does everyone think about Marti's idea to track body fat percentage. I will do it, but I may become severally depressed for a few days once it is calculated. :laugh:

Dave, thats funny. My husband tries to bribe me into letting him 1 get a tazer and 2 use it on me. I must say it is tempting.
  • wvualum
    Options
    Ok, first of all I am Lories (wvualum) proud mother and i have a weight problem caused by years of overeating, laziness, putting everybody else first, a failed marriage, a stressful job, (nobody likes a metermaid), disability do to arthritis of the knees, lower back and hips, degenreative disk disease, spinal stenosis and just getting older (60yrs old). I am sick of feeling like crap and looking like a beached whale, (sorry but that;s what I feel like). I have been on numerous diets, weight management programs, arthritis classes and just keep failing. I can say i have very little willpower. I would love to get in shape so that I could start living again. I use to walk about 6 miles a day as a metermaid, now I find it difficult walking a couple blocks. Looks like I am probably the oldest person on this challenge so I can be the gloating mom and you can all be my encouraging kids.

By the way, her name is Jeanie, not just Lorie's mom. :bigsmile:
  • Kitiara47
    Kitiara47 Posts: 235
    Options
    Hello! My name is Rachel. I'm a 20 year old Junior studying Mechanical Engineering at Southern Ilinois University Carbondale. I currently have a 40 hr a week intern desk job for the summer. Usually all my exercising is done at night after dinner or I won't do it at all! I am very much trying to get in the right mind set for a healthier lifestyle. I'm currently doing C25K on my own, and even though I felt like I was going to die, I successfully completed day one on Saturday! Now today is day 2 :sad: And there won't be any Ghost Adventures on tonight to keep me preoccupied....

I'm traveling to Honduras in three weeks and can't wait!! :happy: I'm involved in Engineers Without Borders, and will be traveling with students from our chapter, our sister school SIU Edwardsville, and professional members from St Louis to implement a bridge culvert that we have spent the last year and a half designing and fundraising for a community. I have a passion for aviation and will be going to the annual AirVenture airshow in Oshkosh, Wisconsin next week. Oh and I'm having my 5th ear tube surgery right before we leave for WI... :grumble:

Anyways, I'm really excited for this and want to keep motivated for a new me by New Years!! :love:
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I'd LOVE to join!!! :o)

Need to drop 61lbs, already dropped 9lbs so 52lbs :)
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    stupid double post, sorry X.X
  • wvualum
    Options
    Hello! My name is Rachel. I'm a 20 year old Junior studying Mechanical Engineering at Southern Ilinois University Carbondale. I currently have a 40 hr a week intern desk job for the summer. Usually all my exercising is done at night after dinner or I won't do it at all! I am very much trying to get in the right mind set for a healthier lifestyle. I'm currently doing C25K on my own, and even though I felt like I was going to die, I successfully completed day one on Saturday! Now today is day 2 :sad: And there won't be any Ghost Adventures on tonight to keep me preoccupied....

I'm traveling to Honduras in three weeks and can't wait!! :happy: I'm involved in Engineers Without Borders, and will be traveling with students from our chapter, our sister school SIU Edwardsville, and professional members from St Louis to implement a bridge culvert that we have spent the last year and a half designing and fundraising for a community. I have a passion for aviation and will be going to the annual AirVenture airshow in Oshkosh, Wisconsin next week. Oh and I'm having my 5th ear tube surgery right before we leave for WI... :grumble:

Anyways, I'm really excited for this and want to keep motivated for a new me by New Years!! :love:

Hey Rachel, did you list your goal weight. My cousin went on a mission trip to Honduras and loved it. I think you will have a great time.
  • rsw84
    rsw84 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    wow....24 weeks, best get off my bum and start doing something then :smile:
  • wvualum
    Options
    Anyone have an idea for tomorrows challenge?
  • Kitiara47
    Kitiara47 Posts: 235
    Options
    Hey Rachel, did you list your goal weight. My cousin went on a mission trip to Honduras and loved it. I think you will have a great time.

I would like to lose 72 pounds for a 150 goal weight.
  • sjkcarter
    sjkcarter Posts: 417 Member
    Options

I think that is cool. I have never kept track of BF, but I think it would be great to not be so obsessed with the scale.
  • sjkcarter
    sjkcarter Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Good luck to everyone, but team 2 is going to kick the most butt!!!! Rock on team 2!!!!:bigsmile:
  • Ciarn
    Ciarn Posts: 92
    Options
    what is this week challenge ? and is there any names for the teams ? lets kick some butt team 1
  • MyJourney11
    Options
    GO TEAM 2!!!!! :flowerforyou: My name is Mitzi and I'm married with 3 kids. 9, 3 and 1 year olds. I started in January weighing in at 250 pounds. I'm hovering at 204-205 right now and I'm having trouble pushing into the 100's. I work at a gym so I have no excuse for looking like this. Everyone asks me what finally got me going with all this after being fat for so long and I really have no answer. One day I just decided to start working for it. I probably have more bad days than good but hopefully you guys can pull me through it.
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

I think that is cool. I have never kept track of BF, but I think it would be great to not be so obsessed with the scale.

Why don't we do both? When I get home tonight, I'll check my BF and share my results
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Well team 2 & 3 I wish you the best of luck ... but i have to say team 1 is gonna kick some BUTT!!!!

Team 2 has got this. Good luck teams 1 &3
  • wvualum
    Options
    Ok, so far everyone is in favor of tracking bf%. So try to do this asap, and let me know so I can log it. I still have several without goals, I'm working on a list and I will post it in a bit. By the way all the weight goals are in for Team 1 (we are working on a name) and our total weight loss goal is 405 lbs.
  • wvualum
    Options
    Hi Mitzi and welcome to the group. What is your New years day weight goal?