Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO is not the whole equation

Options

Replies

• CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I worded that badly. Yes a calorie of one food equals the calorie of another. And no energy can ever be "lost." But eating nutritious foods may help the body burn calories faster.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @GaleHawkins do you have any evidence that humans have "lost" the ability to eat intuitively and keep weight in a healthy range in the presence of abundant food? I wonder if we ever really had that ability or if food was just scarce and/or activity was higher before the modern age.

I used to work at an aquarium and I learned that penguins are the only aquarium animal that self-regulates its intake. All the other animals will eat as much as they are fed and so their intake is strictly monitored. Only penguins will turn down food if it's above and beyond what they need. Trainers would give the penguins has much as they wanted, and when they started to "bulk" that's how the staff knew that they were about to molt (because they can't swim during molting, they put on enough weight to go the entire molting period without eating).

Most animals are opportunistic feeders. I'm just curious what makes you think humans fall into the "penguin" category and not the "any other aquarium animal" category.

@ILiftHeavyAcrylics no animal is purely opportunistic feeders unless the is some control subsystem(s) failure. Just like with oxygen intake there are systems that controls when and what animals eat or drink. Now being in forced captivity like in an aquarium can screw up natural eating patterns for any number of reasons. This can also happen in humans trapped in a form of captivity like a bad relationship, job, etc I expect.

https://peprotech.com/en-US is a company that is deep into understanding how our our subsystems work including how we eat and why we eat the amounts that we eat.

https://peprotech.com/Lists/PTPublications/Regulation%20of%20Body%20Weight%20in%20Humans.pdf This paper entitled: Regulation of Body Weight in Humans contains some of the science that you asked about but it is written assuming an advanced understanding of how the human body maintains an ideal weight range but the last the last two sentences are not that technical.

"(10). Taken together, these findings suggest that ghrelin is
    an important stimulator of food intake, and that failure to
    suppress its postprandial levels may lead to overeating. They
    also implicate high dietary fructose, especially when derived
    from HFCS-sweetened beverages, as a major contributor to
    the accelerated rates of obesity in modern societies."

There are listed references for anyone that wants to drill deeper on the built-in weight regulation that is common to humans and most all animals.

From the Introduction:

"Unaccountable loss or gain of body weight by more than
    3% over relatively short time constitutes an alarming
    indication of a health problem.

Loss of weight due to
    famine or intended caloric restriction is almost always
    recovered within weeks after the restraints on food intake
    are removed. Return to initial weight within weeks also
    occurs after termination of voluntary overeating regimens.
    Such observations led to the realization that weight
    stability is a consequence of autonomic mechanisms
    that act to maintain the reserved energy of the body at a
    relatively constant value and to resist displacements from
    this value."

The need to count calories to maintain weight an alarming indication a health problem per this research on the subject. It was only after I was able to address some of my health problems by getting my Way Of Eating macro corrected so that I was eating the foods that works best for me did I loose weight and have maintained that loss for two years now. I eat all that I want most every day so I am in no way deprived. At 65 my health and health markers are better than at 45.

Again the science is not simple but basically we are made up of many chemically controlled subsystems that tell us when to eat, drink and breath and how much to eat, drink and breath.

Healthy humans do NOT over eat normally. CI does not address why we over eat. Until we learn WHY we over eat we need to weight our food and estimate the calories until our health returns to the point that our weight is self regulating.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    @GaleHawkins so you've said, but I'm asking what makes you think that. It goes against everything I've ever heard from the biologists I know.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Sorry, I worded that badly. Yes a calorie of one food equals the calorie of another. And no energy can ever be "lost." But eating nutritious foods may help the body burn calories faster.

Why would it? That goes against survivability in nature. Burn more, need to eat more. Need to eat more and not have it available, lose faster. Lose faster, starve faster.

This iI think what @CynthiasChoice wrote is partially true. Just look at the thrmogenic effects of some macros. Others will influence hormones and overall health. It isn't huge fifferences but it can work out to a few pounds per year.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have some simple questions related to CICO:

Do you believe metabolism can be altered by changing levels of vitamins or mineral balances in the body?
    Maybe. But I'm sure it's not that significant if you're already getting in the correct micronutrients
    Is metabolism affected by level of hydration?
    Yes
    Is it affected by exposure to environmental toxins?
    Only if those toxins are stopping you from moving around and the type of toxins you're exposed to.
    Is it affected by the body's hormonal response to stress?
    Maybe. Excess cortisol can increase fat cell production.
    There is research being done in all these areas, with some studies showing clear evidence that metabolism can be positively or negatively altered by our environment, level of hydration, and nutrition. We need more studies and more time to get a clearer picture. The science is still young.

It should be the great hope of everyone using this site that there IS indeed more to the picture than CICO. Yes, we can control the calories in, but the calories out is still a bit of a puzzle. While we think we've got it all under control, nature will surprise us. Don't the nuances make life more interesting?
    CICO dominates just about any other process when it comes to losing weight. While there may be issues for not losing it due to health and hormonal issues, we're speaking here of the general public. And even with hormonal issues, CICO has to be applied to lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

Or the timing of when you eat that food, nutritious or not.
    I expect saving all your calories for the end of the day will affect your burn rate.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »

I expect saving all your calories for the end of the day will affect your burn rate.

How so?

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options

Overthinking this. If there's a calorie deficit by the end of the day, TIMING and NUTRITION don't matter much when it comes to weight loss.
    Before the agricultural revolution, people would hunt morning to evening and have 1 main meal at the end of the day. And they of course obesity wasn't an issue unless you were of royalty.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Nope.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I stand corrected, I will no longer espouse meal timing matters, just the quality of the food.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Nope
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have some simple questions related to CICO:

Do you believe metabolism can be altered by changing levels of vitamins or mineral balances in the body?

In terms of what your body just burns for being alive? I doubt it -- it doesn't make sense to me. I guess the idea would be that if your body perceives starvation due to lack of nutrients metabolism would be slowed down? I do think, of course, that being malnourished affects energy levels and having a healthier diet can improve energy levels even beyond actual malnutrition, probably.

What these kinds of discussions sometimes seem to miss is that for your body increasing calories out (without also increasing work) is generally a bad thing, wasteful, so having that be a reaction to getting adequate nutrients doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

Aside from all this, though, of course being malnourished/having an unhealthy diet is bad for us independent of the affect on metabolism, so I'd hope that whether one believes it affects metabolism or not one would avoid eating so badly as to be malnourished.
    Is metabolism affected by level of hydration?

As in if you drink a gallon or two (or whatever people are into) of water you burn calories more? Again, I doubt it and honestly don't understand how healthy humans with access to water (absent unusually hot conditions or activity levels) would have a problem with hydration level. Inadequate hydration might affect energy, sure, but metabolism would hardly be the main problem.
    Is it affected by exposure to environmental toxins?

Maybe? But again the idea that you burn less if poisoned doesn't make a lot of sense as outside of the unusual historical situation of obesity being a problem burning more without more work being achieved is not a positive state.
    Is it affected by the body's hormonal response to stress?

Basically, cortisol? Yes, I think this is true. I don't think it is a particularly significant effect in the scheme of things (as shown by the fact that low carbing tends to be both a very effective way to lose weight and to increase cortisol). I don't think someone with lots of weight to lose will have a deficit and not lose due to stress.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I should add to my prior post that "not being malnourished" is a quite different thing from "eating only healthy foods." I start with the presupposition that someone is eating a nutritionally-adequate diet (because everyone should, independent of weight loss) and then will eliminating so-called "bad foods" (like occasional ice cream) and eating equal calories of so-called "healthy foods" (whatever one defines as such, let's say 200 calories of lentils and carrots instead of the ice cream) matter? Can't see any argument that it would.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    @GaleHawkins so you've said, but I'm asking what makes you think that. It goes against everything I've ever heard from the biologists I know.

Perhaps they are unaware of medical research like Ii linked to earlier?
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    RoteBook wrote: »

Perhaps they are unaware of medical research like Ii linked to earlier?

That article sure does "look sciency," but it's not actually research. It's not peer reviewed. It's not published anywhere other than their own (sales) website.

@RoteBook the article is marketing materials for their solutions used by the research community. Did you just fail to see the 10 peered reviewed articles that they used to support their marketing piece?

If you are saying articles from peer reviewed scientific journals are without merit or value I disagree with you.