Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO is not the whole equation

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Wellness vs Weight Loss; this forum has plenty of the latter, not much of the former.

You've also got stubborn types who don't really want to learn anything more than they believe to be true; so even as new research comes out regarding longevity, neurodegenerative diseases due to lacking nutrition and fuelling your body for the long haul, you get people exclaiming with glee that "Oooh I ate ice cream because I had enough calories to do it!"

If you're on a calorie deficit, you'll likely already be struggling to balance most of the micronutrients your body needs, but it's really not worth the debate here.

"Wellness vs Weight loss" Why is this even a "versus" scenario in your eyes, though? Why do you assume you can only have one or the other, when it *is* entirely normal to experience both simultaneously?

For most overweight people, simply reducing their Weight (by employing CICO in whatever manner works best for them) improves their Wellness (health markers) dramatically *and* simultaneously.

I lost 75 lbs a year ago, reached my goal weight, improved my health dramatically and managed to balance my macros throughout, all the while occasionally including treats like ice cream as a small part of my well-balanced and nutrient-dense diet. And I dare say that my experience is representative of a large number of equally successful members who were able to lose the weight and improve their health without completely and unnecessarily banishing either entire food groups or individual food items that were helpful in maintaining compliance.

Having a similar health condition to yours, I'll add that we manage our health by managing our weight.

I've also improved a hereditary health marker, one that often calls for medication, simply through diet and exercise.

I see no versus scenario.

Additionally, we all expose ourselves to risks every day. I don't know about the other poster, but I drive, I've flown on planes, before becoming a vegetarian I ate red meat, I grilled meats.

I'm not going to live my life trying to mitigate every single risk factor. Therein lies madness.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    The main ingredient in ice cream is sugar, by a pure calorie basis - and generally you've got sugar ontop of sugar in icecream due to flavourings too, but nice try.

I don't really have an obsession with nutrients to be honest; like I say, I'm aware of them but I hardly pay any attention to them and hit them (and have done even when I'm not eating "healthy" - i.e too much protein, or too much wine and whisky) because they're not actually that hard to hit if you're eating to fuel your system.

And again, going back to my "people debating points that aren't being made" - I'm not saying anything is wrong with you using food the same way some use alcohol or cigarettes or marijuana or other substances. I'm simply pointing out the parallels between your food consumption and other habits that have higher health risks associated with them.

Also "psychological issues" - nope, didn't claim that, this is where reading assists you; when I mention neurodegenerative diseases, there is nothing "psychological" about that, the difference between psychology ( how your consciousness rationalises what you think and feel) and psychiatry ( the chemical balances/imbalances within your brain and system that can impact your psychology) is huge. Neurodegenerative diseases aren't your psychology.

Wrong.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/sweets/5405/2
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    OMG people - yes anyone who says "always" "will" "must be" almost always turns out to be wrong because there are always exceptions. The point is - that sugar is not good for you. Plain and simple. Will anything bad happen to you from eating ice cream or choc once in a while - no - of course not. But in general sugar is not good for you. I cant believe there is any debate about that simple fact. But if you choose to eat sugar - good for you. And if you dont gain any weight from it even better for you. So many people on here just love to parse each and every word. I have given up sugar and carbs to a large extent. I feel great and lost a lot of weight. Once in a while I will eat pizza when I want. But the point is - it works for me. If something else works for you -great -I am happy for you. I dont feel the need to call someone an idiot because they dont do what I do. I know its not for everyone.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    jmp463 wrote: »
    OMG people - yes anyone who says "always" "will" "must be" almost always turns out to be wrong because there are always exceptions. The point is - that sugar is not good for you. Plain and simple. Will anything bad happen to you from eating ice cream or choc once in a while - no - of course not. But in general sugar is not good for you. I cant believe there is any debate about that simple fact. But if you choose to eat sugar - good for you. And if you dont gain any weight from it even better for you. So many people on here just love to parse each and every word. I have given up sugar and carbs to a large extent. I feel great and lost a lot of weight. Once in a while I will eat pizza when I want. But the point is - it works for me. If something else works for you -great -I am happy for you. I dont feel the need to call someone an idiot because they dont do what I do. I know its not for everyone.

It's not bad for you either. Too much sugar is more then likely bad for you, as is too much water...

^^THIS! Too many calories leads to weight gain. That can be from any, or all, foods. Most people with no health limitations can probably lose weight through moderation of all foods, and not consuming more calories than they are burning.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

It's not bad for you either. Too much sugar is more then likely bad for you, as is too much water...

Too many calories leads to weight gain. That can be from any, or all, foods. Most people with no health limitations can probably lose weight through moderation of all foods, and not consuming more calories than they are burning.

I do not disagree with any of this...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Too much of anything is bad for you.

Context and dosage are always important.

^^^ For the win...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Completely ignores context and dosage.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

You, too, are wrong.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The only issue with sugar is it is calorie dense. Beyond that, excluding medical issues, it's fine. Don't know why this is still an argument.

I think it comes up a lot because a good half of all people do have health issues (T2D, T1D, prediabetes, insulin resistance, PCOS, NAFLD, Alzheimier's, CAD and a few cancers) that are made less healthy by sugar (large amounts of it - not a teaspoon or so a day). People who are made less healthy by sugar isn't a small minority. My guess is that it may be a majority now.