Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO is not the whole equation

Options

Replies

• mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    cityruss wrote: »
    I agree with the OP... CICO is not the end on be all for everyone. I can eat less calories than I expend but if they are loaded with carbs, I will gain- this is because of medical conditions. To those who don't have these, you don't understand that it does affect weight loss.... thank you OP!

Which medical condition leads to the creation of bodyfat in a calorie deficit?

Maybe she means water weight not fat. I'm curious too!

I think that is exactly it ^^^^^^^ water weight especially with thyroid
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    mlsh1969 wrote: »
    I agree with the OP... CICO is not the end on be all for everyone. I can eat less calories than I expend but if they are loaded with carbs, I will gain- this is because of medical conditions. To those who don't have these, you don't understand that it does affect weight loss.... thank you OP!

Thyroid conditions and sometimes Diabetes, simply because the body isnt processing the calories correctly.

How does that work?

My understanding of hypothyroid is that it decreases metabolism/CO, not that it allows you to put on body fat even when eating below the reduced CO. It's just hard to do so, especially since you often feel low energy, etc.

Diabetes would seem to do the opposite -- your body becomes so IR that you cannot remove glucose from the blood and convert it into fat (which isn't the main way we add body fat anyway). Presumably it also interferes with effectively using the glucose as energy or the response that tells us we are satiated, so people might eat more (I think this can go along with IR, although since weight gain often triggers IR hard to insist it was a cause rather than pre-existing), but that's again not what was asked. A common symptom of diabetes is actually weight loss, because of how it interferes with the process.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Kinda feeling like this pretty rapidly devolved into one of the more pointless misinterpretations that I've read here so far. It's like both sides are saying the same thing, but one's speaking Spanish, one's speaking Greek, and they both forgot their Babel Fish.

Agree.
  • mlsh1969
    Options

Thyroid conditions and sometimes Diabetes, simply because the body isnt processing the calories correctly.

Thyroid conditions can't make you gain fat in a deficit any more than a medical condition can make you run a marathon when you're just taking a stroll around the block.
    A deficit, by definition, means you're taking in less energy than your body uses up, you will lose fat every time if you're in a deficit.

And how does not correctly processing calories = more weight gain anyway? If my car can't properly use the fuel I put in it doesn't suddenly run at a better efficiency either.

Thanks Doc
  • mlsh1969
    Options

Thyroid conditions can't make you gain fat in a deficit any more than a medical condition can make you run a marathon when you're just taking a stroll around the block.
    A deficit, by definition, means you're taking in less energy than your body uses up, you will lose fat every time if you're in a deficit.

And how does not correctly processing calories = more weight gain anyway? If my car can't properly use the fuel I put in it doesn't suddenly run at a better efficiency either.

Thanks Doc
  • mlsh1969
    Options

Thanks Doc
  • mlsh1969
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

How does that work?

My understanding of hypothyroid is that it decreases metabolism/CO, not that it allows you to put on body fat even when eating below the reduced CO. It's just hard to do so, especially since you often feel low energy, etc.

Diabetes would seem to do the opposite -- your body becomes so IR that you cannot remove glucose from the blood and convert it into fat (which isn't the main way we add body fat anyway). Presumably it also interferes with effectively using the glucose as energy or the response that tells us we are satiated, so people might eat more (I think this can go along with IR, although since weight gain often triggers IR hard to insist it was a cause rather than pre-existing), but that's again not what was asked. A common symptom of diabetes is actually weight loss, because of how it interferes with the process.

Im not sure of any of ur questions. Im not a Doctor. I just know that thyroid conditions and diabetes can make people gain and retain weight. Several people commented "explaining" why this is not true lolol. All these people are in the know apparently. I only know what l have been told by my doctor...thyroidism and diabetes can put weight on and make people retain weight. I think the OP had a point. Thankfully l dont have these diseases but she might. I think if the doctor told her that her condition could make her retain weight, he might be right, what do u think?
  • mlsh1969
    Options

Look up cushings disease and hypothyroidism
  • mlsh1969
    Options

How does that work?

Im not sure of any of ur questions. Im not a Doctor. I just know that thyroid conditions and diabetes can make people gain and retain weight. Several people commented "explaining" why this is not true lolol. All these people are in the know apparently. I only know what l have been told by my doctor...thyroidism and diabetes can put weight on and make people retain weight. I think the OP had a point. Thankfully l dont have these diseases but she might. I think if the doctor told her that her condition could make her retain weight, he might be right, what do u think?

I get it, it's easy to misunderstand what your doctor tells you.

For the record, I have a thyroid condition. It does not make you put on weight. What it can do is lower the amount of calories at which my body would start to gain weight compared to not having the thyroid condition. That's assuming the thyroid condition is untreated. Once it's treated? It's a non-issue. Thyroid doesn't make your body retain weight.

I've managed to lose all of my excess weight with my thyroid condition. No weight retention happening here.

Well thats wonderful, congratulations. Do,u have cushings or hypothyroidism?
  • mlsh1969
    Options

How does that work?

Her doctor could only be right if every physicist, chemist, basically every other scientist, in the world was wrong.

Energy cannot be created from nothing. The body uses energy to fuel itself. It can only store energy in the form of fat if it is has more energy available to it than it is fueling itself with. This is an application of the law of conservation of matter.

Gotcha thx
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    mish1969 hypothyroidism and diabetes don't cause people to gain weight while in a caloric deficit, they make it so the body has a harder time burning calories. Because the diseases mess with the CO side of the equation, sufferers need to lower their calorie intake, sometimes to brutally low, very difficult to achieve levels to avoid getting heavy. Saying hypothyroidism or diabetes will cause weight gain is missing a vital step, the one where the person is warned to adjust their diet appropriately or they will.

You can find plenty of users around here that have lost weight and are maintaining their weight despite having thyroid disease or diabetes because they are a complication to maintaining a healthy weight, not an automatic sentence for weight gain.

They cutting of calories brutally low is unnecessary if hypothyroidism is properly treated.

A lot of people with hypothyroidism are not properly treated for their conditions, and they need to be proactive with their doctors about this.

My poor Gramma's seems brutally low despite being treated. That's only my impression of it though and she does ok with it.