Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO is not the whole equation

Options

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Aside from particular medical conditions, Sugar is not inherently bad.

That is a distinction that needs to be made. It is not "slamming" anyone, its pointing out a very simple fact.

Without that little piece of knowledge, someone who doesnt know better could take on a very difficult to adhere to diet of trying to exclude X Y and Z "Because sugar", when instead they may find moderation a much more manageable alternative.

I believe most post here with an eye on longevity as well, and so eating in moderation, as opposed to a practised "diet" is also popular. Given that it is a lifestyle change and therefor long term, as opposed to a dieting phase followed by what?

Essentially, cutting out anything (save for medical reasons) really isnt necessary, and could make for a difficult journey.

And of course, common sense really should apply. Ive seen countless people state that Ice Cream can play a part in a healthy diet - as long as it fits within your calories. I have never seen anybody state "eat a gallon of ice cream each day". When I saw that message myself early on in my time here, it was obvious what the meaning was.

You cut back sugar, and lost weight.

Let me ask you - were you eating bowls of sugar? Or sugary treats laden with calories (and fat, and more, usually)?

Was it the sugar specifically that was causing you to put on weight? Or the treat that contained sugar and other ingredients also?

Ill take a guess and say you werent just eating bowls of sugar, and cut back, but that you were having treats.

So Ill point out another fact - "just sugar" likely wasnt your issue.

Rather, sugary treats, thanks to high fat a lot of the time, are very calorific. You didnt have a sugar issue, you just consumed to many calories.

You could also have a bit more sugar if you like, providing it fits with your calorie limit, and not put on any more weight. That would include ice cream ;O)

Sugar is not inherently good or bad. It is a source of energy. In the right context its brilliant, in the wrong context it isnt. Just like most things.

Pfft, I eat pure sugar all of the time, and (ahmaighad!) it's dextrose: the most evil of all the high GI carbs. I'm pretty sure the conductor of the Beetus train will be knocking on my door at any moment.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

That is a distinction that needs to be made. It is not "slamming" anyone, its pointing out a very simple fact.

Without that little piece of knowledge, someone who doesnt know better could take on a very difficult to adhere to diet of trying to exclude X Y and Z "Because sugar", when instead they may find moderation a much more manageable alternative.

I believe most post here with an eye on longevity as well, and so eating in moderation, as opposed to a practised "diet" is also popular. Given that it is a lifestyle change and therefor long term, as opposed to a dieting phase followed by what?

Essentially, cutting out anything (save for medical reasons) really isnt necessary, and could make for a difficult journey.

And of course, common sense really should apply. Ive seen countless people state that Ice Cream can play a part in a healthy diet - as long as it fits within your calories. I have never seen anybody state "eat a gallon of ice cream each day". When I saw that message myself early on in my time here, it was obvious what the meaning was.

Let me ask you - were you eating bowls of sugar? Or sugary treats laden with calories (and fat, and more, usually)?

Was it the sugar specifically that was causing you to put on weight? Or the treat that contained sugar and other ingredients also?

Ill take a guess and say you werent just eating bowls of sugar, and cut back, but that you were having treats.

Rather, sugary treats, thanks to high fat a lot of the time, are very calorific. You didnt have a sugar issue, you just consumed to many calories.

You could also have a bit more sugar if you like, providing it fits with your calorie limit, and not put on any more weight. That would include ice cream ;O)

Sugar is not inherently good or bad. It is a source of energy. In the right context its brilliant, in the wrong context it isnt. Just like most things.

Pfft, I eat pure sugar all of the time, and (ahmaighad!) it's dextrose: the most evil of all the high GI carbs. I'm pretty sure the conductor of the Beetus train will be knocking on my door at any moment.

Pre or post training I assume?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Pre or post training I assume?

Yeah, usually pre-, especially if I am on a keto run. I'll eat a whole roll of Spree or just dump a scoop of dex into my pwo, or water if I'm already stimmed out for the day.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    @SymbolismNZ If you like ice cream but dont like the macros, you should check out "Peters no sugar added vanilla ice cream", this is what I have and tastes better than regular ice cream.

Per 200g (my serving size)
    • 244 calories
    • 17g carbs
    • 13g Fibre
    • 11g protein
    • 6g Fat
    • 17g sugar

Best thing I ever did was get an ice cream maker. I just made a cantaloupe sorbet this week from the vegetarian times website: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/cantaloupe–black-pepper-sorbet

calories 95
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 2 g 3 %
    Saturated Fat 0 g 1 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0 %
    Sodium 84 mg 4 %
    Potassium 248 mg 7 %
    Total Carbohydrate 22 g 7 %
    Dietary Fiber 0 g 1 %
    Sugars 21 g
    Protein 0 g 1 %
    Vitamin A 27 %
    Vitamin C 25 %
    Calcium 0 %
    Iron 0 %

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options

Lol, not uncommon for me to down a few Skittles before going out for a run.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    @SymbolismNZ If you like ice cream but dont like the macros, you should check out "Peters no sugar added vanilla ice cream", this is what I have and tastes better than regular ice cream.

Per 200g (my serving size)
    • 244 calories
    • 17g carbs
    • 13g Fibre
    • 11g protein
    • 6g Fat
    • 17g sugar

Best thing I ever did was get an ice cream maker. I just made a cantaloupe sorbet this week from the vegetarian times website: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/cantaloupe–black-pepper-sorbet

calories 95
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 2 g 3 %
    Saturated Fat 0 g 1 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0 %
    Sodium 84 mg 4 %
    Potassium 248 mg 7 %
    Total Carbohydrate 22 g 7 %
    Dietary Fiber 0 g 1 %
    Sugars 21 g
    Protein 0 g 1 %
    Vitamin A 27 %
    Vitamin C 25 %
    Calcium 0 %
    Iron 0 %

I'll stick to Baskin Robbins. Lol
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I found this interesting about sugar-http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Organic/sugar.html and gallowmere I love spree candy. I guess those of use who eat high amounts of carbs and sugar should be dead. including my hubby who went through 2-4lb bags of sugar in less than 2 weeks just for coffee, that is not counting his candy,cookies,soda. no one baked with that sugar,he consumed over 7lbs of it himself(some he spilled lol) . hes not obese, his heart is good,hes in good health as well. if anyone should be dead its him if sugar is that bad for you. Im not even joking I wish I were I told him he had a problem lol
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I found this interesting about sugar-http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Organic/sugar.html and gallowmere I love spree candy. I guess those of use who eat high amounts of carbs and sugar should be dead. including my hubby who went through 2-4lb bags of sugar in less than 2 weeks just for coffee, that is not counting his candy,cookies,soda. no one baked with that sugar,he consumed over 7lbs of it himself(some he spilled lol) . hes not obese, his heart is good,hes in good health as well. if anyone should be dead its him if sugar is that bad for you. Im not even joking I wish I were I told him he had a problem lol
    Wow... That's about 4 lbs of sugar per week (in just coffee). I was curious and googled. There is 1755kcal in a pound of sugar. That's 7020 kcal per week or about 1000 kcal per day... in sugar. There's 4 calories of sugar per gram. 4 g of sugar per teaspoon. That's 250 g of sugar per day, or over 60 teaspoons of sugar. Is that right? :o

Does he have a glucometre? Is his postprandial blood glucose normal? If so, he is truly designed as a sugar burner.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Wow... That's about 4 lbs of sugar per week (in just coffee). I was curious and googled. There is 1755kcal in a pound of sugar. That's 7020 kcal per week or about 1000 kcal per day... in sugar. There's 4 calories of sugar per gram. 4 g of sugar per teaspoon. That's 250 g of sugar per day, or over 60 teaspoons of sugar. Is that right? :o

Does he have a glucometre? Is his postprandial blood glucose normal? If so, he is truly designed as a sugar burner.

I dont know if thats right or not lol he has NO sugar issues at all. as for checking his postprandial blood glucose, we dont have a meter because everytime he has been checked or had blood work done its always normal so the dr doesnt think he needs to check it as he has never had any issues,he has no symptoms of anything either. but hes always on the go. hes had all kinds of tests over the year and even a stress test and so on and they come back with flying colors. dr says hes as healthy as someone half his age. I dont get it either.I know maybe we should get one just for craps and giggles. but they arent cheap here and you have to have a script to get the test strips and stuff through insurance. cant really afford to pay out of pocket for those things.hes done this for years too. he drinks more coffee than sodas and stuff but still. a 4lb bag would last me forever as long as my daughter didnt need it to bake lol.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I dont know if thats right or not lol he has NO sugar issues at all. as for checking his postprandial blood glucose, we dont have a meter because everytime he has been checked or had blood work done its always normal so the dr doesnt think he needs to check it as he has never had any issues,he has no symptoms of anything either. but hes always on the go. hes had all kinds of tests over the year and even a stress test and so on and they come back with flying colors. dr says hes as healthy as someone half his age. I dont get it either.I know maybe we should get one just for craps and giggles. but they arent cheap here and you have to have a script to get the test strips and stuff through insurance. cant really afford to pay out of pocket for those things.hes done this for years too. he drinks more coffee than sodas and stuff but still. a 4lb bag would last me forever as long as my daughter didnt need it to bake lol.

That's darn impressive insulin sensitivity if he is keeping his BG normal.

If you do get a BG meter, sometimes you can get them free if you buy the test strips. Up here, Alberta Canada, the test strips are the expensive part. We can get them without a prescription but it is over the counter.

I think I last bought a 1kg bag of sugar back in 2015. LOL ;)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    I probably put away at least 100 grams of sugar (including fruit) a day and maybe sometimes more at parties. No BG level issues likely because I still burn off a lot of calories. I average 19,000 steps a day and that doesn't include any of my lifting. I'm also a fidgety person and keeping still isn't in the cards for me ever since I was a little kid.
    Should some keep sugar levels lower? Of course. Some going over 50 grams a day may NOT be ideal. But that doesn't mean sugar is "BAD" in anyway. It just means that some don't tolerate it well in higher dosages.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    I never realized that I had sugar issues until I suddenly cut back on sugar when starting on my first weight loss program. That is when I experienced "withdrawal-like" symptoms.

When I would manage to lose a couple pounds, then my body seemed to want to refill it's glycogen reserves asap with handy candy or a quick snack. Even though I was eating 6 small meals a day, I felt like I was hungry all day.

Now that I've been doing intermittent fasting and have cut back on sugar and refined flour, I feel much better. But not everyone thrives on this, I realize.

The other thing worth pointing out is that athletes and fitness buffs tend to need extra carbs and burn off sugar quickly. Therefore sugar doesn't necessarily even get stored in their bodies as excess calories. I do agree with the premise mentioned upthread that "aside from certain medical conditions, sugar is not inherently bad."

Excess calories from any food types will cause weight gain and possibly consequential health issues over time. So aside from health constaints, people can restrict calories from any macro combination and manage to lose weight.

I think that most people on MFP already know about adjusting CI based on CO energy expenditure. Once I learned about NEAT, TDEE, RMR, BMR, etc., it really helped me to determine baselines so that I could adjust incoming calories mindfully, consciously and purposefully.