The cookie diet!

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Where do I get a recipe for making anything less than two dozen cookies? :p I can never actually manage to eat just one because otherwise the other 23 are gonna go bad!

ETA: found one to make 8. Still almost 350 calories for one freakin' cookie.

Most cookies freeze well. Freeze them in small batches and thaw out as needed.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why this would be called the cookie diet.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why this would be called the cookie diet.

I'm thinking it was just a clever thread title to draw people into the conversation.

She's basically saying that weight loss is about CICO, you can eat what you like in moderation, and you can even have cookies if you want.

It's not seriously called "The Cookie Diet".
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I was hoping I could eat cookies all day lol .. thanks for the laugh .. nice post

Good luck
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    This thread reminded me of a couple of my favorite success stories from days of MFP yore... I don't know if @Achrya or @Daiako are still around but I found these stories (and all the cookie pics) very inspirational at the time when I will still pretty new to MFP and to flexible dieting.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1193569/cookies-taste-better-than-skinny-feels/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10057039/a-story-of-cookies-mud-and-weights/p1

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    red99ryder wrote: »
    I was hoping I could eat cookies all day lol .. thanks for the laugh .. nice post

Good luck

There IS such a thing, but... one of those fads where you buy "their" cookies for breakfast and lunch and then have a sensible dinner. My mom did it and, like most fad diets, it's unlikely to be sustainable longterm.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/a-z/cookie-diet
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Will your diet work with whiskey instead of cookies? I'd rather have whiskey....

But seriously, good post. Your title sucked me in. I was waiting for the sh!tstorm to begin :D
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »
    That's it! No magic pills, no restrictive eating.. Just cookies. :wink:

Lies.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    I mostly agree. Mostly. I think that there are people out there who will eat nothing but small amounts of calorie dense nutrient deficient food, feel like crap and binge, get depressed and give up.

Are there? I'm sure there are people who eat only high cal/low nutrient foods, sure, although I in my life they are pretty uncommon. But is this something they do when dieting because CICO? Or is it just how they've decided they like to eat, despite knowing it's not good nutrition or ideal for health? I'm positive it's the latter.
    We all know that cico is accurate. We all know that a little treat is helpful to stop most of us from binging BUT I think it's irresponsible to neglect recommending healthy lower calorie, nutrient dense foods for the largest part of your eating plan.

I don't see how the OP is inconsistent with this or that anyone doesn't know they should eat that way. Knowledge and doing it are different.
    Believe it or not there ARE people out there who literally do not eat vegetables...like...at all.

Sure, but not because they've never heard that they should.

My favorite cookies are homemade, although I enjoy girl scout cookies sometimes and there are a couple of local sandwich places that have ones I enjoy -- in one cases pretty reasonable calories, in the other, not so much -- I need to split them or eat them over a couple of days.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    red99ryder wrote: »

Good luck

There IS such a thing, but... one of those fads where you buy "their" cookies for breakfast and lunch and then have a sensible dinner. My mom did it and, like most fad diets, it's unlikely to be sustainable longterm.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/a-z/cookie-diet

This doesn't suprize me .. I just bought some belvitta orange cranberry cookies .. man there good. .. I'm sure I could have a pack for breakfast and lunch .. small dinner and loose weight ... just don't think I could do it for very long

Good luck
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I mostly agree. Mostly. I think that there are people out there who will eat nothing but small amounts of calorie dense nutrient deficient food, feel like crap and binge, get depressed and give up.

We all know that cico is accurate. We all know that a little treat is helpful to stop most of us from binging BUT I think it's irresponsible to neglect recommending healthy lower calorie, nutrient dense foods for the largest part of your eating plan.

Believe it or not there ARE people out there who literally do not eat vegetables...like...at all.

How you feel and how much energy you have impact your success rate. It affect the co part of the equation because the healthier you feel the more calories you burn without even thinking about it because a healthy body WANTS to move.

But absolutely eat a cookie with leftover calories. Personally I like the soft ones from the bakery section of the grocery store.

Right! That's the "real food" part of the diet. :smiley:

Then I'm all for it. I think a lot of people see "real food" and read "the junk I'm used to eating" unfortunately.

While that would still work, as long as they keep within their calorie goals, that bit about "from the grocery store" gets rid of the fast food for the most part. I still have fast food now and then, but not nearly as much as I once did. Had Zaxby's chicken strips with fries last night, in fact. It isn't something I could or would eat every day and, if I tried, I'd be starving because it would wipe out my calorie allotment.

@FreyasRebirth ~ I know, right?? Fortunately, I've had pretty good luck with ziploc bags in keeping them fresh. I have a batch that my friend made me for Christmas and I just have one now and then. They've even stayed soft.

I don't think it would really work in the long run because they'd be hungry and feel like crap and would give up but I suppose theoretically it is possible, just not likely. I don't know which grocery store you go to but mine has as much crap as what you call "real food".

I've mentioned this before, but although most people I know eat normal diets with vegetables and everything, I do know one woman (who knew she had a horrible diet) who for various reasons ate basically only fast food and hated to cook. She was about 100 lbs overweight when she decided to lose and chose to just count calories at fast food places and not change her diet. I had recently lost about 60 lbs eating really "naturally" (my thing, kind of dumb, but the good part was that it was nutrient dense), and thought this was crazy and horrifying, but it worked for her. After she lost some weight she started transitioning into more home cooking and getting different kinds of food when she got fast food (I assume because it was more filling and also--from knowing her--that she had kind of a "don't tell me how to eat" thing going on that she got past as she lost weight). Anyway, as a result of this and just my own experience I expect that often when people cut calories they naturally start cutting less filling foods and adding in more filling ones, for obvious reasons.

When I cut calories I naturally cut higher cal, lower nutrient things since I know I will miss them the least and they aren't the backbones of my meals. (But I leave in some indulgences, because I like them.)
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I ate 300 cals worth of Nilla Wafers just now. No regrets.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

How you feel and how much energy you have impact your success rate. It affect the co part of the equation because the healthier you feel the more calories you burn without even thinking about it because a healthy body WANTS to move.

But absolutely eat a cookie with leftover calories. Personally I like the soft ones from the bakery section of the grocery store.

Then I'm all for it. I think a lot of people see "real food" and read "the junk I'm used to eating" unfortunately.

While that would still work, as long as they keep within their calorie goals, that bit about "from the grocery store" gets rid of the fast food for the most part. I still have fast food now and then, but not nearly as much as I once did. Had Zaxby's chicken strips with fries last night, in fact. It isn't something I could or would eat every day and, if I tried, I'd be starving because it would wipe out my calorie allotment.

@FreyasRebirth ~ I know, right?? Fortunately, I've had pretty good luck with ziploc bags in keeping them fresh. I have a batch that my friend made me for Christmas and I just have one now and then. They've even stayed soft.

I don't think it would really work in the long run because they'd be hungry and feel like crap and would give up but I suppose theoretically it is possible, just not likely. I don't know which grocery store you go to but mine has as much crap as what you call "real food".

I've mentioned this before, but although most people I know eat normal diets with vegetables and everything, I do know one woman (who knew she had a horrible diet) who for various reasons ate basically only fast food and hated to cook. She was about 100 lbs overweight when she decided to lose and chose to just count calories at fast food places and not change her diet. I had recently lost about 60 lbs eating really "naturally" (my thing, kind of dumb, but the good part was that it was nutrient dense), and thought this was crazy and horrifying, but it worked for her. After she lost some weight she started transitioning into more home cooking and getting different kinds of food when she got fast food (I assume because it was more filling and also--from knowing her--that she had kind of a "don't tell me how to eat" thing going on that she got past as she lost weight). Anyway, as a result of this and just my own experience I expect that often when people cut calories they naturally start cutting less filling foods and adding in more filling ones, for obvious reasons.

When I cut calories I naturally cut higher cal, lower nutrient things since I know I will miss them the least and they aren't the backbones of my meals. (But I leave in some indulgences, because I like them.)

Then why would you object to that being good advice to people who might not come to that conclusion naturally?
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options

Then why would you object to that being good advice to people who might not come to that conclusion naturally?

When have I ever objected to that being good advice? I think it is. I usually say such things (like "of course for satiety and health it is important to eat a healthy balanced diet" or even more specific things) as any look at my own advice in lots of different threads will demonstrate.

I just object to the claim that not saying those things explicitly in every post means that you are telling people to ignore nutrition and satiety, and I also think that it's incorrect to assume that others will eat poorly if not told not to. (They might eat poorly, of course, but not because they don't know better.) IMO, OP's post was quite clear. If someone took that to mean "don't eat vegetables," that has nothing to do with OP's advice or not knowing that vegetables are part of a healthy diet, but the desires of the person choosing not to eat vegetables.

Well good. We agree on 99.9%. Have a good night
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you are getting appropriate macros and micros, fiber, etc before filling up "extra calories" with high calorie, nutritionally low value foods
  • jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    For some reason I thought you were going to say something like, "you can eat anything so long as you shape it into a cookie."

But I pretty much agree with you - for myself, anyways. When I try to restrict, that's when I end up failing.

LOL when you said this it reminded me of the simpsons when homer was eating the power sauce bars and he took 3lbs of spaghetti and made it into a bar shape because apparently the shape released its awesomeness LOL

620569.gif?b64lines=
  • lemurcat12
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've actually been toying with the idea of taking a smoothie (I tend to use a lot of vegetables and some yogurt, as well as protein powder and frozen berries) and making it into a frozen dessert that serves as a meal. Kind of the same thing?
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Not many people know this, but the broken cookie pieces have zero calories! ;)
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Not many people know this, but the broken cookie pieces have zero calories! ;)

Oh My Gawd!! It's like cookie dough, but different!!! I wish I'd known this sooner. lol