Ask a mortician

Options

Replies

• LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    Miz_T wrote: »
    If I were to go into the business of working at a funeral home, what would I do? Where would be a good first step?
    Are you interested in doing removals, working visitations/funerals or becoming licensed?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Why do you want a steel vault?
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    So the weight of the dirt doesn't cave in the casket and I stay dry.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I didn't even know there was such a thing.
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Would you say there is anything that people do when they're making future plans that you consider an outright waste of money?
    I mean - generally there's some in every industry I think, things that cooperation try get you to buy into that aren't at-all necessary.
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    One square foot of dirt weighs 76-78 lbs
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Is 6 feet under the actual depth of a grave? I
    Where the top of the vault is at the 6 foot mark?
  • greeder1
    greeder1 Posts: 13 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I live very nearby a funeral home attached to a cemetery. It mostly doesn't bother me (cemeteries are actually the best neighbors you could ask for) but I do notice quite a bit of sticky dust build up in my place. I always blamed the proximity of the 5 Freeway (I live in Southern California and it is a very busy freeway) but after reading this I am a little afraid it's cremated people. The funeral home is probably a few hundred yards away. Do you think it's people dust?
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Is 6 feet under the actual depth of a grave? I
    Where the top of the vault is at the 6 foot mark?
    Now they dig them 4 1/2 feet.

greeder1 wrote: »
    I live very nearby a funeral home attached to a cemetery. It mostly doesn't bother me (cemeteries are actually the best neighbors you could ask for) but I do notice quite a bit of sticky dust build up in my place. I always blamed the proximity of the 5 Freeway (I live in Southern California and it is a very busy freeway) but after reading this I am a little afraid it's cremated people. The funeral home is probably a few hundred yards away. Do you think it's people dust?

No, I highly doubt it.

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Do you have conversations with your corpses?

A la six feet under.

I *love* that show!
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Have you ever worked on someone who was really in shape, like a body builder? Did they still have their six pack?

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Hey OP
    Fantastic topic! I had a similar childhood (well, the going to many cemeteries part). Very fascinating, especially the old cemeteries and their histories. I still find them fascinating.

My question is, how 'competitive' is business really between funeral homes? Also, what is one of the strangest moments you've encountered in your job?

Do you ever embalm and reconstruct? If yes, what was the most challenging reconstruction you or your employee worked on?

• jamcdonel
    jamcdonel Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Hi Hearse,

Kind of a broad question here. How much does an average (empty) coffin weigh? I have been a pallbearer many times, and always find myself wondering," how much of this is Grandpa, and how much is box?"
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    jamcdonel wrote: »
    Hi Hearse,

Kind of a broad question here. How much does an average (empty) coffin weigh? I have been a pallbearer many times, and always find myself wondering," how much of this is Grandpa, and how much is box?"

Metal caskets are about 150 lbs. Wood caskets are around 200-250 lbs.
    Have you ever been just about to jab them with ur instrument and they all of the sudden wake up?

Nope. If it ever happens I will probably pee my pants.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    So the weight of the dirt doesn't cave in the casket and I stay dry.

Sooooo.... even though you will be dead. I mean. You're dead. You don't know :)
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    Touche
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    Anytime