Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

So. What's the worst weight loss myth?

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Weight loss is simple be at a calorie deficit of 3,500 calories per week to lose one pound a week. That requires knowing your tdee though and any calculator online will serve and you find the actual amount through trial and error. And the guy that said cardio doesn't burn fat. The oxidative system is based on science and happens at rest and low to moderate excerise such as light boggling. The primary fuel for those workout are atp from fatty acids and glucose (carbs). Cardio does infact burnt fat but at low intesity for long periods of time.

Well not knowing your tdee doesn't disprove or make 3500 calories is a deficit wrong or a myth. It just means you need to run calories to get actual data and adjust based on that. You can even start with a calculator. Hell, i know i maintain at 3000 calories and when i average 2500 a day, I lose 1 lb per week.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Weight loss is simple be at a calorie deficit of 3,500 calories per week to lose one pound a week. That requires knowing your tdee though and any calculator online will serve and you find the actual amount through trial and error. And the guy that said cardio doesn't burn fat. The oxidative system is based on science and happens at rest and low to moderate excerise such as light boggling. The primary fuel for those workout are atp from fatty acids and glucose (carbs). Cardio does infact burnt fat but at low intesity for long periods of time.

Well not knowing your tdee doesn't disprove or make 3500 calories is a deficit wrong or a myth. It just means you need to run calories to get actual data and adjust based on that. You can even start with a calculator. Hell, i know i maintain at 3000 calories and when i average 2500 a day, I lose 1 lb per week.

Pretty much this. Just because one does not know their TDEE exactly doesn't make the 3500 calories a pound a myth. It just makes it slightly more difficult to figure out. Having said that, but for a few outliers, the vast majority of people will be reasonably close to the TDEE number (assuming their input of their stats was correct) that they will see a loss using even the calculators out there.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Pretty much this. Just because one does not know their TDEE exactly doesn't make the 3500 calories a pound a myth. It just makes it slightly more difficult to figure out. Having said that, but for a few outliers, the vast majority of people will be reasonably close to the TDEE number (assuming their input of their stats was correct) that they will see a loss using even the calculators out there.

That is what i found, too. Even though calculators general underestimate me by about 300 calories. But that could be that my daily life is more active than i expected.
  • SpongemomScrappants
    Options
    Blood type diets and other gimmicky weight loss programs.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Blood type diets and other gimmicky weight loss programs.

I have a photo of me somewhere that looks exactly like your profile photo :) I'm suspended over Auckland in mine.
  • berrios96sean
    berrios96sean Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    psulemon wrote:

If you look at my message I never stated it was a myth I was giving advice. You restated everything I originally said.
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Anything to do with "waist trainers".
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote:

If you look at my message I never stated it was a myth I was giving advice. You restated everything I originally said.

I'm sorry berrios, I don't like to pick on people's grammar, but I have to come to pselemon's defense. Your post is difficult to understand. I reread it just now, and still don't understand what you're trying to say.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    psulemon wrote:

I'm sorry berrios, I don't like to pick on people's grammar, but I have to come to pselemon's defense. Your post is difficult to understand. I reread it just now, and still don't understand what you're trying to say.

I think it's more a reading comprehension issue on his part...I don't think he read/understood the title of the thread, nor the fact that this is the debate section. :/
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My vote is starvation mode. But there are so many good myths out there that are a hinderance to healthy weight loss that it might be fun to put them all in one place, argue about them and decide which is the worst of all.

Since this IS the debate section, let me jump in with a different view on the discussion opener. IMO, if a poster is eating so little that they wonder if starvation mode is a factor in why the scales aren't moving, they mostly likely ARE eating too little to be healthy and shouldn't be advised to eat less.

I'm in no way trying to argue that eating less will cause you to put on fat or muscle but when people stress their bodies by undereating and/or overexercising water retention/edema can follow.

• goldthistime
    Options
    Carb and sugar addictions are real, trigger foods are real, eating disorders are real. Dietary religions are not.

When I first read this I thought the poster meant that eating disorders are a myth (which would be offensive). But on rereading, it looks like he/she meant it without sarcasm, and that my attention should be focussed on "Dietary religions are not (real)".

Agreed. It's interesting how emotionally attached we can get to our dietary beliefs, myself included.

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    My vote is starvation mode. But there are so many good myths out there that are a hinderance to healthy weight loss that it might be fun to put them all in one place, argue about them and decide which is the worst of all.

Since this IS the debate section, let me jump in with a different view on the discussion opener. IMO, if a poster is eating so little that they wonder if starvation mode is a factor in why the scales aren't moving, they mostly likely ARE eating too little to be healthy and shouldn't be advised to eat less.

I'm in no way trying to argue that eating less will cause you to put on fat or muscle but when people stress their bodies by undereating and/or overexercising water retention/edema can follow.

Or their tracking sucks. Ockham's Razor to the rescue.
  • goldthistime
    Options

Right. We can only guess which problem they are having. But if we're looking for the simpler solution, I'd say that if they feel like they're starving, they're probably undereating.

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Right. We can only guess which problem they are having. But if we're looking for the simpler solution, I'd say that if they feel like they're starving, they're probably undereating.

As someone who has run both moderate cuts and vlcd hellcuts: nope. I didn't even know what real hunger was until three weeks of cutting at 700 kcals/day as a 177 lbs. male.

Most overweight people have godawful hunger signaling.
  • goldthistime
    Options
    If having had experience with vlcds personally gives us expert status, I'm up there with you. At 5'6" I made it to down to 98lbs once. Maybe that explains my own prejudice coming into the discussion. I'm more concerned about telling people who are worried that they are in starvation mode to eat less, than I am about telling someone who is eating at maintenance to ignore the scales and don't drop their calories any further. Most especially the young women who are looking to lose vanity pounds.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options

As someone who has run both moderate cuts and vlcd hellcuts: nope. I didn't even know what real hunger was until three weeks of cutting at 700 kcals/day as a 177 lbs. male.

Most overweight people have godawful hunger signaling.

True that!
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Skip dinner. I hate how people say if you skip a meal you will lose weight. You won't.

You will if you are in a calorie deficit. If I skip meals it is the first meal of the day since I usually don't like eating in the morning. If a person simply skips a meal with no thought about overall calories, they usually make it up with other meals or snacks.

That might be true if there are tracking. But if they aren't tracking and do it everyday, it actually slow down your metabolism which makes it harder to lose weight.
This discussion has been closed.