101 reasons Carbs are great and should be part of your diet

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I can think of at least 35 reasons why carbs arent so great. (See ticker below)

Can I play too. 33 reasons why carbs are great (looks at ticker below)

Very Niiiice! Well played!

heres another... look at my pics

also, bodybuilders are the leanest athletes on the planet and champion bodybuilders that dont eat carbs are few and far between, u just gotta know how to manipulate carbs

I wanna play too!!!! :-) I have 311 reasons why carbs are good for you!!!! :-)
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options

also, bodybuilders are the leanest athletes on the planet and champion bodybuilders that dont eat carbs are few and far between, u just gotta know how to manipulate carbs

Not too long ago I was reading an article about body builders pre-protein supplements. The article was more about the supplement industry but it discussed the diets of body builders prior to protein supplements (1980s were big but don't know exact date) and the fact that body builders used to eat high carb, low fat diets pretty regularly. The low fat diets of the 1980s were really meant to mimic the diets of body builders but then it mutated into a high sugar added/low fat diet once the manufacturers got hold of it and figured out how to monetize it.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Hooboy.... (eyeroll) If our bodies were designed to burn fat, why do we store it so easily?? Really, can't you go start your own thread somewhere and leave off with the low carb propaganda??

If our bodies weren't designed to burn fat, then why do we store it so easily in times of plenty? Or, if our bodies were designed to run almost exclusively on carbs, why can we only store about 7g/lb of lean body mass, as opposed to being able to store a virtually unlimited amount of fat, and all but the most strict and dedicated athletes have no less than about 10 pounds of fat?

We store fat to use as a fuel source when no external one (ie - food) is available. If we didn't, we wouldn't have been able to survive in times of famine.

And my point would be, based on physiology, our bodies are desiged to burn fat, carbs and protein. I never said our bodies were designed to run almost exclusively on carbs so don't put words in my mouth. Our bodies are quite obviously not designed to burn and one macronutrient exclusively. Or even primarily. Different macros for different functions. All in balance. It's only those with a 'one size fits all" mentality that are pushing the "we were designed to burn fat" and other similar myths.

Again, if that's what you want to do and it works for you great for you. Your way is not the only way. It is only one of many. Why is it that low carb people are the only ones that push a "one way" agenda and yet others who may follow a different method are constantly saying " that's fine if it works for you" but I'm doing just fine with a different way, and BTW, the research indicates that my works just as well as yours long term and maybe my goals are different than yours? I, myself have made that statement at least 4 times in this thread, a thread about: WHAT IS GREAT ABOUT CARBS, I remind you.

This isn't some thread about low carb or not. What is the issue with low carb people that they have to push thier agenda like the one true religion at evey opportunity??

Perhaps it was because of the particular sub-thread I chimed in on, but I don't feel that I was "pushing my agenda" on anyone. The original comment of this thread chain was some BS about how you'd be "stupid and lethargic" without carbs (which has already been pointed out that dietary carbs are technically optional, even if it is nearly impossible to have a sustainable way of eating without eating any carbs whatsoever, which was also pointed out).

However, your comment/question was "If our bodies were designed to burn fat, why do we store it so easily??", which, along with the number of times I've seen the general notion of "carbs are the building blocks of energy!" and all the other crap that suggests we need hundreds and hundreds of grams of carbs per day, because they're the energy source, I interpreted as "our bodies don't really burn fat, that's why we store it, and that's why we need carbs" and answered according to that specific comment. I apologize if I misinterpreted and/or missed your previous comments (I really wish MFP comments were nested or at least had better quoting). That said, I did play along with the spirit of the thread, as well. Like I said earlier, I love me some in season kiwi, strawberries, and orange, they are yummy (but only when in-season, greenhouse fruits are gross). :)

That said, since several people don't see how this thread may have come off as trollish, and those that feel that way haven't seemed to explain it well, let me offer my thoughts on that. There have been a number of threads recently that have debated low-carb vs high-carb diets (the most notable one I've seen is the paleo/primal vs vegitarian/vegan one, which is pushing 600 posts and is a gruesome train-wreck for the most part), therefore, it's not a stretch to think, when seeing a title along the lines of "why carbs should be part of your diet", that the poster is looking to flame-bait (and honestly, I'm kind of surprised this thread hasn't been shut down for that reason already). This notion is then reinforced by the fact that the OP doesn't give any objective reasons (much less "101 reasons") to back up that statement. It doesn't help that, at this point, even if the OP started this in jest, the religious debate came out from both sides, adding fuel to the fire.

Are people thin-skinned on here? Yeah, though from the looks of this thread as a whole, it goes both ways. *shrug*
    I for one, never, ever go in to paleo/vegetarian whatever debates. I don't know what goes on in them and I don't care. It's not that deep. Carbs are delicious and a good source of energy.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options

I like this game. lol
  • cindaboo1
    cindaboo1 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Man I just LOVE going through topics and reading people's responses LOL cracks me up!!! This is in no way relevant to the matter at hand. (exit, stage left)
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    And regarding this thread, I think there are a lot of uneducated people out there that really don't understand what carbs are and what benefits they may have. Often things like snickers get lumped in with fruits, vegetables and whole grains. I don't think it is the fault of the people, especially when they get their dietary information from talk shows. Low carb has a fan base for a variety of reasons but many people don't understand the extensive range of carbs. As for low carb vs high carb, I could care less what others eat. I do think it is important that people who struggle with low carb know that they can follow a healthy higher carb diet if they want and it isn't going to kill them.

I think talking about carbs and their benefits is a good thing. Even if you follow a low carb diet, I'm sure there are carbs that you can expand upon that are included for one reason or another.
  • cindaboo1
    cindaboo1 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    But umm, I do eat carbs. Love em actually. It's all about moderation folks, moderation, macronutrients, etc..... You eat bad and dont exercise, you'll look and feel bad, you eat healthy and workout, you'll look and feel AWESOME!! The end.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I like this game. lol

I hear you! It's hard to beat Ed though. :bigsmile:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Hooboy.... (eyeroll) If our bodies were designed to burn fat, why do we store it so easily?? Really, can't you go start your own thread somewhere and leave off with the low carb propaganda??

If our bodies weren't designed to burn fat, then why do we store it so easily in times of plenty? Or, if our bodies were designed to run almost exclusively on carbs, why can we only store about 7g/lb of lean body mass, as opposed to being able to store a virtually unlimited amount of fat, and all but the most strict and dedicated athletes have no less than about 10 pounds of fat?

We store fat to use as a fuel source when no external one (ie - food) is available. If we didn't, we wouldn't have been able to survive in times of famine.

And my point would be, based on physiology, our bodies are desiged to burn fat, carbs and protein. I never said our bodies were designed to run almost exclusively on carbs so don't put words in my mouth. Our bodies are quite obviously not designed to burn and one macronutrient exclusively. Or even primarily. Different macros for different functions. All in balance. It's only those with a 'one size fits all" mentality that are pushing the "we were designed to burn fat" and other similar myths.

Again, if that's what you want to do and it works for you great for you. Your way is not the only way. It is only one of many. Why is it that low carb people are the only ones that push a "one way" agenda and yet others who may follow a different method are constantly saying " that's fine if it works for you" but I'm doing just fine with a different way, and BTW, the research indicates that my works just as well as yours long term and maybe my goals are different than yours? I, myself have made that statement at least 4 times in this thread, a thread about: WHAT IS GREAT ABOUT CARBS, I remind you.

This isn't some thread about low carb or not. What is the issue with low carb people that they have to push thier agenda like the one true religion at evey opportunity??

Perhaps it was because of the particular sub-thread I chimed in on, but I don't feel that I was "pushing my agenda" on anyone. The original comment of this thread chain was some BS about how you'd be "stupid and lethargic" without carbs (which has already been pointed out that dietary carbs are technically optional, even if it is nearly impossible to have a sustainable way of eating without eating any carbs whatsoever, which was also pointed out).

However, your comment/question was "If our bodies were designed to burn fat, why do we store it so easily??", which, along with the number of times I've seen the general notion of "carbs are the building blocks of energy!" and all the other crap that suggests we need hundreds and hundreds of grams of carbs per day, because they're the energy source, I interpreted as "our bodies don't really burn fat, that's why we store it, and that's why we need carbs" and answered according to that specific comment. I apologize if I misinterpreted and/or missed your previous comments (I really wish MFP comments were nested or at least had better quoting). That said, I did play along with the spirit of the thread, as well. Like I said earlier, I love me some in season kiwi, strawberries, and orange, they are yummy (but only when in-season, greenhouse fruits are gross). :)

That said, since several people don't see how this thread may have come off as trollish, and those that feel that way haven't seemed to explain it well, let me offer my thoughts on that. There have been a number of threads recently that have debated low-carb vs high-carb diets (the most notable one I've seen is the paleo/primal vs vegitarian/vegan one, which is pushing 600 posts and is a gruesome train-wreck for the most part), therefore, it's not a stretch to think, when seeing a title along the lines of "why carbs should be part of your diet", that the poster is looking to flame-bait (and honestly, I'm kind of surprised this thread hasn't been shut down for that reason already). This notion is then reinforced by the fact that the OP doesn't give any objective reasons (much less "101 reasons") to back up that statement. It doesn't help that, at this point, even if the OP started this in jest, the religious debate came out from both sides, adding fuel to the fire.

Are people thin-skinned on here? Yeah, though from the looks of this thread as a whole, it goes both ways. *shrug*
    I for one, never, ever go in to paleo/vegetarian whatever debates. I don't know what goes on in them and I don't care. It's not that deep. Carbs are delicious and a good source of energy.

Wish I knew how to bold so I could bold your statement IT'S NOT THAT DEEP! Trolling? Orly??? I even remember someone said something great about fat and you said that it's own thread should be started about that. It just doesn't seem that complicated. You are celebrating one macronutrient. As you said, protein gets plenty of love and fat should have it's own thread.
    Anyone who takes that as trolling is looking for something to argue about. It's simple, if you don't feel it, move on to another thread as the forum guidlines recommend.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Not too long ago I was reading an article about body builders pre-protein supplements. The article was more about the supplement industry but it discussed the diets of body builders prior to protein supplements (1980s were big but don't know exact date) and the fact that body builders used to eat high carb, low fat diets pretty regularly. The low fat diets of the 1980s were really meant to mimic the diets of body builders but then it mutated into a high sugar added/low fat diet once the manufacturers got hold of it and figured out how to monetize it.

Many of the strongest men in recent history ate high fat diets. Lots of milk, eggs, cream, bacon.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options

I think you just won the thread.