Eating When Hungry vs. Sticking to a Calorie Plan

Options
The notion of eating when hungry sounds like it makes sense to me. However, I love to cook and eat, so I figured it would be better if I stuck to a calorie plan (1500-1800 day, for a start) and ate regularly even when not really that hungry. I figure the idea is to get yourself used to what you're going to do long-term.

Does this sound right?

Replies

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    You can eat at any time of the day, it's the calorie deficit that matters.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight you can still be in a deficit and eat just when you're hungry. Also, 1500-1800 sounds arbitrary. Put your stats in to figure out your calorie goal. 1500 is low for a male.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The two posters above me both raised issues I wanted to raise.

Pick a calorie goal that's appropriate for your needs and that's realistic. Within the parameters of that goal, whether or not you can follow your appetite signals is something you're going to have to test with trial and error.

I have personally found meal scheduling with a little wiggle room for flexibility to be good for me, because my hunger signals are unreliable. I've also found the habit of eating slowly and mindfully to be helpful. In addition to this, evaluating whether I'm truly hungry vs. wanting to taste food is important every step of the way.

An example of how this works is today. I'm having a hungry day. I had an early snack before my normally scheduled meal time after deciding that yes, I was truly hungry. I'll skip one of my later planned snacks or exercise a bit more and have both snacks.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Eating when hungry works great if you are trying to maintain your current weight. If you are trying to lose weight then counting calories works better because you need to eat less than your daily calorie expenditure.

I was your weight for a while. I was eating around 1600 calories to lose on days I didn't exercise, but I put in an hour or more of exercise, so it was actually over 2,000 calories on most days. Now, I'm 205 and a couple of inches taller than you. My typical calorie intake is over 3,000 calories per day.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    At 2,000 calories, you would be losing a pound a week even if you do no exercise. You are burning around 2,600 calories just by doing normal stuff every day.
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Don't rush it. Generally the faster it comes off, the easier it comes back on. You don't want to work really hard to lose the weight in six months only to gain it back a year later. I did that before my wedding and dropped 45lbs in 3 months. A year later I gained 38 of it back. This time is slow and steady wins the race.
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Why can't you count calories AND eat when you're hungry? They aren't mutually exclusive or even remotely contradictory.

What I found when I began counting calories and weighing my food is how little food it actually took to satiate me. I just ate bigger portion sizes because it made me feel good. I still love to cook and eat, and I ALWAYS eat when I'm hungry, but now I just know what portions I actually need.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    With regard to dating yes, physical appearance is a component in dating life. But, any woman (or man, depending on your preference) who summarily discounts you simply because of your weight probably isn't worth dating to begin with. If you're using online dating, why not make your weight loss journey part of your bio? That you've decided to take control of your life and eating habits will probably be very attractive to people.

<3
This discussion has been closed.