Teacher support Group

Anyone interested in a teacher's support group? There was such a great response to one question why shouldn't we help each other out during the school year?

I can't wait to hear from you!

Replies

• LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Anyone interested in a teacher's support group? There was such a great response to one question why shouldn't we help each other out during the school year?

I can't wait to hear from you!
  • jhacker
    jhacker Posts: 301 Member
    Sounds great to me!:happy: We are going through testing this week and our students didn't perform as well as we had hoped and admin. is coming down on us.Talk about stressful. I thought teaching was supposed to be fun!!:sad:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Oh! I can soooo use this!
    I will be honest I am finding it hard to be a Home Ec teacher (Yeah, I used the old term....technically it's Family Consumer Science teacher) and lose weight! Not only do I usually have some type of cooking class going on (so goodies are around and I sample) but I am soooo tired by the end of the day that I am too tired to work out usually. :ohwell:

I did really good with taking one bite out of samples at the beginning of the year....but it's just gone down the toilet recently.

It's a pain trying to sneak in little meals all day as well. I keep stuff in my fridge (cause in my field that is a perk) but finding the time is a pain.
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Can we join if we work for a school district? Pretty please? I am not a teacher, I am a support services secretary in our Special Ed department. TOO MUCH FOOD AROUND ALL THE TIME! :frown:
  • ChubbyBunny
    Can we join if we work for a school district? Pretty please? I am not a teacher, I am a support services secretary in our Special Ed department. TOO MUCH FOOD AROUND ALL THE TIME! :frown:

I think you qualify.
    Some other workers in the schools work harder then some teachers I know!
  • Fellow teacher here..I'm trying to avoid that 20+ lbs I gain EVERY school year and slowly take off during the summer months..I gained about 15, and was able to get back to eating healthier and excersizing and it's slowly coming back down again! Woohoo!
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    YAY! I'm in! I have to try to avoid the potlucks at all costs. My department itself tries to be healthy, but the building as a whole - food, food, more food. Plus just being busy until summer - the tiredness doesn't help.

*sigh* oh, summer, I miss you!
  • I would LOVE to! I just started my first semester of teaching (I took a temporary position for 2nd semester) and it has been SO hard to stay on track! COUNT ME IN!!!:happy:
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    I'd do it. The lounge food is killing me (and I'm the one who brought it today!)
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Me!!!
  • Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    I am sooooooooooooooo in!!!! Who would have thought that teaching would be so harmful to our health???? YIKES!!!

I use to be slim (well, I did have to watch my weight...but it was much easier then), until I started teaching. Since then I packed on almost 1/4 of my original body weight. We undergo so much stress, it's insane...and I totlly get the pressure of being expected to have our students perform at ridiculous levels...and when they don't we take such a beating. It's CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No wonder we eat....good greif there's cupcakes galore, candy everywhere, and potlucks every other day. heck...we're havign a dessert potluck for lunch this Friday...how healthy is that?

Our district, driven by really a lack of a budget here in CA, is facing over 80 layoffs...we are not a big district. We are doing away with classroom size reduction...oh, and we are expected to have 100% Proficiency next year. GET REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone else dealing with this type if stuff?
  • LifesPilgrim
    OMG I really hear you guys. My school just got back diagnostic scores and they are bleeding red ink like crazy!!!

I teach Language Arts and Reading so my butt is REALLY on the line. I will have admin and district people in and out of my classroom for the next several weeks.

I was up until one in the morning Monday night having to put students groups together and then generate small group lessons for each one to address areas of weakness.

AAAUUUUGGGHHHH:grumble:
  • ChubbyBunny
    Wow... we all seem pretty stressed out. Which can't be great for us.

I have munched on nothing but carbs and fats today!
    :grumble:

What are some healthy ways you all deal with stress while on the job?
  • Mickie17
    Wow... we all seem pretty stressed out. Which can't be great for us.

I have munched on nothing but carbs and fats today!
    :grumble:

What are some healthy ways you all deal with stress while on the job?

I'm doing the same kind of thing...so I'm trying to stay away from all the junk food in the staff lounge...and the extra drama (we have acouple of drama queen/kings that are constantly stirring up trouble).

I've also been taking a quick walk everyday that it's sunny outside...even if it's only for 10 -15 minutes, the sunshone cheers me up, and it gives me time to refelct and put things in perspective.
  • jhacker
    jhacker Posts: 301 Member
    I have been really good about not staying after too late and getting home to exercise. My worst time of day is right after the kids leave. I am STARVING and usually will eat whatever is close. :noway: I've been trying to munch on almonds to help. :tongue:

What is the toughest part of your day?
  • Mickie17
    I have been really good about not staying after too late and getting home to exercise. My worst time of day is right after the kids leave. I am STARVING and usually will eat whatever is close. :noway: I've been trying to munch on almonds to help. :tongue:

What is the toughest part of your day?

That's a hard part of the day....sometimes when I leave and go home I just stand in front of the pantry cupboards and eat...EVERYTHING!!!
  • Hello fellow teachers!! I'm lucky (by the sounds of it) that my faculty doesn't often bring in food/pot lucks. My trick (for the healthy eating part anyway) is to pack my lunch at night after I've eaten dinner (so I don't munch at it or throw in junk).

I make a healthy sandwich, pack yogurt and my fruits/veggies of choice - I really fill it up! That way, I have enough healthy choices to snack on mid-morning, at lunch, and after school when the kids are gone and I can finally get some work done! Yes it's a pain, but it is what keeps me on track.

Now I just need to work on leaving at a reasonable hour, and getting enough sleep at night. :wink:
  • LifesPilgrim
    My hardest part of the day is when the kids leave or when I get home and I'm making supper. I don't get out of school until 4:00 and by the time I pick my kids up, run errands, and get home, it's sometimes 5:30 - 6:00. On nights that we have scouts, dinner can be hot dogs or something quick like that because we barely have time to change and eat before it's out the door again.

I try to keep nuts, dried fruit, or granola bars in my desk drawer to eat while I'm packing to leave, but it's not easy.
  • Mickie17
    My hardest part of the day is when the kids leave or when I get home and I'm making supper. I don't get out of school until 4:00 and by the time I pick my kids up, run errands, and get home, it's sometimes 5:30 - 6:00. On nights that we have scouts, dinner can be hot dogs or something quick like that because we barely have time to change and eat before it's out the door again.

I try to keep nuts, dried fruit, or granola bars in my desk drawer to eat while I'm packing to leave, but it's not easy.

We sometimes run into that problem...and ine of the things I've been doing for awhile is make double of the healthy meal that I'm making...and freeze it. That way we've got a fast meal to heat n' eat on those busy nights. It helps a bit.
  • Mickie17
    OH MY GOSH TEACHERS!!!! I think I've found a new way (gross, but true) to resist all the cupcakes & other treats that come into the classroom. (I did this the other day, and it worked ridculously well).

I teach 5th grade...so my students usually hand out the treats. What I did was watch that student in the morning to see what he did with his hands...YES...this is going to get gross...EEEEEEWWWWW!!! So regardless of whether he washed his hands or not, when this student was passing out cupcakes, I just kept remembering the "nose exploration," and other stuff he had been doing all morning...and let me tell you, I had ZERO desire to devour that cupcake.

Sorry...I know that was gross...but it worked and prbably saved my about 200+ calories!!!!