• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate - UK <3
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Heather – Home and in your own bed is always a nice hotel room. While I enjoy vacations, I really sleep a lot better in my own bed.

Our exercise machines, the few we have are basically in the area between the den and dining room (sort of a foyer area, right in front of the front door, which we don’t use). Threadmill way to big to go anywhere else. Thought about putting it out on glassed-in porch; but, would not be able to get the furniture back in. Then we might not use it as much. I am trying to work at bumping up my 30 minutes to 40. So far the only way I can get in 40+ is to walk around the farm.

Sounds like us with our readers. I am supposed to wear the 2.25; but, it jumps from 2.00 to 2.50; unless I buy them at the ophthalmologist’s office. When I find them elsewhere I buy as many as I can afford. He says it is a popular strength; but, I never see them anywhere as if they are. Found 3 at K-mart.

Janetr – Love your ‘spider lilies’. Bought Valentine Day cards for Louis and the girls. I had a card that I especially bought for DOGD, and now I can’t put my hands on it. I hate it when I put something ‘up’ and ‘swear’ it will be someplace ‘obvious’ to me later on. GGrrrrr!!!

I’ve had cataract surgery on both eyes; can see far off but need readers to see anything from right in front of my face out to the length of my arm (roughly 18” – a little more). Fuzzy without glasses; and I can’t read it even if I stretch my arm out.

Carol – When I had a torn rotator cuff I got about a 50/50 split between whether I should have surgery or now; when my shoulder froze up … had no choice (if I were to continue painting and drawing). Best decision I ever made, I had changed Orthopedist because after I would not agree to immediate surgery with the first – he said I had ‘bursitis’ and would just have to ‘live with it’. Second Orthopedist did a lot more x-rays than the first. I had to spend the night in the hospital because of my BP spiking up and down. When he came in that morning I told him my shoulder did not hurt. He was surprised because when they did the laparoscopy surgery, there was a chip on the ball of bone that goes into the socket about ½ the side of a dime. No wonder it froze up. About 6 months later I had a bad seizure and tore it again. I did not have any problems with it either. I think how you do ‘is a state of mind’. I know from friends who have had knee surgery, they say to get up and start PT as soon as your MD can put you in it. But, like Janet said, people have different pain thresholds.

Katie – There are some grasses that grow under trees and others that won’t. Some are sun-tolerate and others not. I think the wide blade “Bermuda” grass you see in most places in Florida is pretty and it will grow under trees. We have “Centipede” grass, which grows and spreads by putting out runners. So when we built our home, we bought sheets of sod; and, cut it into 6” x 6” chunks and checker boarded them throughout the yard. Then we spread white sand between them. Within a year, it was totally covered; and, a lot cheaper than sodding the entire space. We probably have about 3/4th of a acre around the house.

Welcome to all the ‘newbies’ … come often, give us a little information about yourself, such as name you prefer to be called (if you have a fairly common name) putting a location (specific or general), married or not, children/grandchildren or not, hobbies, etc. Make sure you bookmark the site by clicking on the outline of a star at the upper right-hand corner of the posting area. Then when you come back click on the star between the bell and gear and a drop down screen will appear for all the threads you have bookmarked. Barbiecat will post a link on the last day of the month for the next month on the last day of the month. Make sure you also bookmark that ‘new’ page.

Lenora
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Heather welcome home. Hope you can get your medical bills taken care of with little hassle.

Allie, for you I hope this works out but with Tom asking for 2/3 of your check it seems like he wants most of the control. Have you paid enough things with your name to gather some credit in your name or is it all in his name?

Love the leggins. I don't think i could wear them. I have thunder thighs and I do wear leggins under my jeans for warmth but I don't like them used for pants with a long shirt while you are out shopping, etc. Just my opinion.

Got my shoes today. Still not satisfied with with the width but they don't make anything between a narrow and medium. But the felt good and when this recliner finally goes down stairs I know I will have some swelling in my feet.

Sherry, 100 pounds may be to much for one year. Don't set yourself up for failure. Your home sounds wonderful. Do they have a furry friend there for you to get some loving?

Joyce, Indiana
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hello Cheerful Chicks!

Oy! Physical Therapy...

IF it feels like there is a 15 pound Chihuahua dangling from your butt by its teeth, then you know you are doing the clamshells correctly! Today, they strapped a weight on my thigh for them... arrrrrrgh!

Aside from the aforementioned Chihuahua, there has only been one exercise that actually HURT – like joint pain – in the first two sessions of PT. They put a strap behind my knee – hooked it to some weight – and had me do a little twist and pull number – Ay Yai Yai! Whoa, Nelly – that is why I came in here... to get away from that very pain. They said we would try it with less weight – but, I did it with NO weight at work – and WHAM – the very same pain. I guess it just keeps me from getting too cocky. No Chubby Checker for this girl for at least a little while, yet.

To stabilize the knee –they have me working on strengthening the Hips, the Thighs and the Calves. There are several of the exercises that I can replicate at my gym – and the Therapist encouraged me to do so. I am going to do whatever she tells me to do – because I can already see an improvement in my ability to straighten my damaged leg – when I put both legs out in front of me and try to lock both knees – I used to have a good 2-3 inch discrepancy in how high the left would go versus the right. Now – it’s maybe an inch or two – and that is after only two sessions and my homework.

I asked Tetyana about “The Shoes...” She says it’s too soon to worry about that – because until my knee will straighten out – so I get the full extension when I walk – she won’t be able to take accurate measurements to tell me what size lifts to use. I guess MAYBE I will get away with the goofy lifts – rather than the ugly shoes. We shall see.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Betty – I feel ya on the Arthritis... I love swimming the laps – so I really hope you and your Honey can get a grip on the fear.

Michele – Nothing wrong with a routine... if it works for you, it doesn’t have to be exciting. ((Hugs!))

PaulaY – Hope your weigh in is all you hoped it would be.

Barbie – Those exercises are specially designed to help strengthen & stretch where you need it most... You can do it!

Sherry – Hurray! Naps are fantastic and healthy for you, too. Sounds like this place might be a winner... I mean – housekeeping for neat freaks? How hard can that be? As long as you meet their exacting standards, it should all be fine.

Joyce – Projects are like that... you start out with something relatively quick and easy in mind – and suddenly you are power-washing the walls and re-painting... Hope you can sing with the choir, soon!

Meredith – I wish you the very best of luck with the migraine goal! Better yet – you can just skip those, this month, OK?

TNToni – Ah.. your work week starts when mine is winding down. Have you checked your blood sugar, today? As the wife to a diabetic – it is something I am used to nagging about... lol.

Gloria – Hope you remembered your Ibuprofen, today. ((Hugs!!))

Kate – Cataracts are bad... but, the good news is – they are so easily fixed, these days. DH had his removed and it was like he got a new lease on life.

Allie – ((Hugs!!))

Anamika703 – Hello!

Leigh – I only WISH I loved to cook! But, I do all right – when I set my mind to it. It’s just this week was a busy one and I didn’t really have the time to prepare – so DH is on KP duty for the week. Oh – and if you have to choose where to go over on the macros – go over on fat. Sugar is the true evil... Fat just gets a bad rap. I mean, come on... Avocados are our friends...

NYKaren - :)

Lisa – Awesome work on the not smoking! If you only gained 1 lb – you BET that’s a victory! The cigarettes will kill you a lot faster than that extra pound. Keep it up!

Sarah – Tungry? Hired is already in use... lol. Maybe we can just go with Hexausted. I have that problem, myself. Tungry is an exceptionally bad state for me to be in – since my resolve fades with my energy. Eeeeewe. Everything? No matter what you had? All together? I mean, sure – you could mix up taco leftovers with salad – and maybe even throw a lentil in there – but, Everything? And SAUTEED in Oil? ICK. I hope he doesn’t expect you to eat it. Love that you faked a phone call to your Dad, “the police chief.” Hope the kidney issue is resolved, quickly with as little trauma as possible. ((Hugs!)) **(I was going to combine Starving and Exhausted - but that came out sounding like a completely different problem... ;) )**

Margaret – ((Hugs!!)

Beth – I am glad I can amuse... For Doctors, Losing weight is that thing they fall back on when they don’t have any other health issues to nag you about... lol. I am thinking good thoughts for your DH... Maybe he has just been sitting or sleeping wrong... I hope it’s nothing major.

Cheri - B)

Carol – Sage advice... If your ortho is like mine, they probably won’t go straight to surgery... but, the Cortisone shot really helped. Not pain FREE – but pretty close, so long as I don’t try any pirouettes. Surgery or not, you will get to join the Physical Therapy Club! Whoot!

Rita – 64 squats? I am impressed! And your dog is adorable... heck, I can do that kind of yoga stretch, too! LOL.

Mary<3

Heather - Love Mamma Mia – but, then, I have always been a sucker for Abba music – AND RomComs. LOL – Home is always good – but the maid service is the pitts.

Jolene – Slow and steady. Going to the gym is half the battle... the building of strength will follow, so long as you go and keep going. Great job!

Caminogirl – I am a big fan of the exercise... My personal belief is that, while logging is very important – a massive reduction in calories is much less effective than a minor increase in activity. I say you get More Bang for your Buck with exercise. Welcome back!

Pip - *sniffs* Still not speaking to me? ;)

Ann/TravelGurrl – Welcome – the challenges of Lupus just add to the joy of aging, huh? Sorry about that. It seems that everybody has their own issues and their own methods of dealing with them – but we all try to support one another, with as little drama as possible. Feel free to stop in and chat!

Yvonne – I know, right? I was wondering that very thing myself, earlier... with PT and the other “normal” stuff, the week has gone by like a streaker in the snow. Works for me, though... the weekends are the only time I get to sleep... lol. And yes! If I don’t pet him and praise him for these cooking tasks, he gets all sulky. It’s a man thing. Sugar, if your man is vacuuming or doing dishes – you ought to alert the media... lol. Mine only cooks because he wants to be sure to get fed!

Katla – I always manage the fun part – I don’t need to make a goal for that. It’s the taking proper care of myself that I don’t always manage. Hence, the fitness type goals. ((Hugs!!)) See? DH has no excuse – and you are setting a fantastic example... he will HAVE to follow...

Karen/VA – ((HUGS!!!))

Janet – Oh Yeah... those pants ROCK. I am with you. Phooey on boring pants! Hope you get to order the Valentine Leggings!

Lenora – A door for your porch would be an excellent reward...

Scubabumm57 – Sounds like you have the pieces in there... some exercise, some calorie restriction – so, it looks like you got this! Welcome.

Marcelyn - :p

Brendadonnely26 – Welcome!

Kay –See what you have started? Soon, every one of us will be wearing some wild leggings and strutting for the general population.

Mia - *waves*

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Well, I made sure to pull the fully cooked ribs out of the freezer and put the box of au gratin potatoes next to the stove – so DH will be all puffed up for cooking for the fourth day this week. Lucky for him, I love him, bunches. I think this weekend I will have to spend some time prepping for a few more crockpot meals... I am running out of prepared foods that DH can reheat... :D

Hugs for Everybody!

Re in TX
    rd74m6.png
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Re, the clam exercises I do don't have any burn at all. Maybe it's because it's just my legs only???? The only resistance exercises she does is to have a resistance band around my bent knees and a ball between the knees and I have to do 20 squeezes. She hasn't given me one to take home.

Joyce, Indiana
  • IremiaRe
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Re, the clam exercises I do don't have any burn at all. Maybe it's because it's just my legs only???? The only resistance exercises she does is to have a resistance band around my bent knees and a ball between the knees and I have to do 20 squeezes. She hasn't given me one to take home.

Joyce, Indiana

Maybe your glutes and hips are in way better shape than mine - but when I do the clamshells, it burns my bacon... I guess I am going to have some GOOD muscle tone when I am done. Works for me.
  • IremiaRe
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    Question: when I am calculating the nutritional info to have my daily logging be 50% carbs, 20% protein, and 30% fats, I am always trying to drum up more fat and protein for my dinner meals. Tell me some "pure proteins". Presently I eat chicken, some beef, nuts, beans, some salmon when I can afford it, but I have a hard time reaching that 20%!!

Love Becca
    from Oregon

Becca - if you need Protein AND fat - peanut butter could be your friend. I eat a lot of lunch meat - the kind with the least possible carbs in it - and that covers the protein plus fat... Cheese has a surprising amount of protein - as well as cottage cheese.

I just try and make sure that my meals have a LOT of as many protein foods as I can cram in... veggies and dip use my cottage cheese ranch - half a cup of heaven with 12 grams of protein and 5 grams of fat. (I make it with full fat cottage cheese and half and half - but it could be done with skim and skim...) Sodium is high - but that is the nature of the Hidden Valley Ranch packet. It gives you the ranch dip appeal without the huge calorie hit and WITH some protein.

Cottage Cheese Ranch, 1 serving(s) 134 calories 7 carb 12 protein 5 fat 1,233 sodium

For the shopper on a budget - I would recommend cottage cheese with a little seasoning salt - or some fruit. You can go lower fat for the lower calories, and still get a load of protein for not a HUGE amount of cash outlay. Plus, you can stir it into any creamy soup that will take cheese - or even into beans or stew - it just adds that extra hit of protein and it blends into a lot of flavors well.

((Hugs!))

Re in TX
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    ReRe- I'll let u slide this once
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Just saying...32 degrees colder today. Not my kind of weather. No golf today
    Kate - your coat is beautiful and fits you so well.
    Lisa- sorry about your hubby's wrist. My Ddil is an orthopedic surgeon and she always says to take the pain meds as prescribed because once the pain gets ahead of you it is hard to control. Tell him that!!
    Heather -so glad you are home safely in your own bed. Worst part of Trip is unpacking.
    Mary- thanks for the update on the challenge for Feb. hope your shoulder is improving.
    Barbie- I was worried about Bess getting too old. It hasn't been cold in Houston so she needs her coat.
    Sherry- so glad you feel happy and safe.
    SueBDew in TX
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Lenora ... I have a weighted sports hula-hoop. The weights are supposed to make it easier to stay up ... I haven't found so. It caused so much bruising around my mid-section, that my doctor, upon seeing the marks, asked if I was being abused!! By the dang hula-hoop ... YES! I gave up on it, but your mentioning it has me thinking about it again.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening My Dear Friends,

Lisa, sorry to hear about your DH and his wrist. Thankfully it wasn’t something way worse. I do hope it heals quickly.

Katla, it looks like ya’ll are getting a real blast of winter. Stay warm and safe. (((Hugs))))

Lanette, you don’t need the doctor to tell you to lose weight to help your knee, we will gladly tell you if that’s the motivation you need. I have been amazed at all the health benefits I’ve gotten from losing and knew for years that I needed to….but for some reason I wasn’t ready until this time around. I do hope you can find a solution to the pain.

NYKaren, so glad my DH is not the only one to freak out over some paperwork. I told him he needed to go back to bed and get up again to see if he could start his day over. Then I told him “wahhhhhh, wahhhhhhh”.

Joyce, I love the story of how you and Charlie met. Thanks for sharing! I hope you can finish PT soon as I know that expense gets old.

Mia, I don’t understand why you don’t want to be a “star” and have your picture in lights? Lol You are a success story that he wants to share.

Barbie, I hate that Bess is having to walk in that cold weather with just her natural fur. Good thing she wears her own coat.

Sherry, I’m so glad things are working out nicely. I know it must be wonderful to finally be in a safe place.

Sarah, thanks for sharing your meeting and courting story. I hope your DH will get better or another transplant if that is what’s needed. That has to be so hard on both of you.

Beth, I hope your DH gets relief soon. Back pains are a pain in the rear. Lol

Heather, welcome home. Hope you both get rested soon and yes forget any unpleasant parts of the trip. I’m glad your DH apologized for his upset. You are such a cute couple!!!

Rita, love the yoga stretch. lol

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I feel like I’m getting a cold. Yesterday I cancelled my appointment with the trainer at the gym and just stayed home. I did go work out today like a good girl. Each night about bedtime my throat starts hurting. It keeps me from getting a good night’s sleep. Hopefully it will pass without turning into a full blown cold. It is also zapping my energy a bit but at least it’s not the flu. There is so much going around our area. I hope we all stay healthy. No early spring but it will get here when it does. I'm off to bed.

Sending love, good thoughts and sunshine to all of you.
    I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 14.13min, 12.4amph, 144mhr, 2.9mi, windy= 159c
    apple watch- 124c
    ROWING MACHINE- 45min, 48aw, 103ahr, 131mhr, 6954meters/4.32mi = 250c
    apple watch- 323
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.47min, 146mhr, 12.6amph, 1.4mi, windy = 83c
    apple watch- 54
    jog station 2 wk- 5.12min, 10.15ap, 151mhr, 138ahr .5mi = 60c
    apple watch- 54
    jog//walk wk 2 sta 5.21min, 11.23ap, 143mhr, .4mi = 66c-
    apple watch- 50c
    ride dome 2 hm-up Mst - 18.35min, 7.9amph, 141mhr, 2.4mi = 165c
    apple watch- 148c

total cal 783
  • pyanko7
    pyanko7 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Beth - love you "Cheers" pub theme for this group. It just feels so comfortable - like old friends.
    Lisa - Congratulations on giving up smoking.

Weighed in today - lost 7.5 lbs and I am tickled pink.

Goals for February:
    Smile every day.
    Stay at or under 1200 calories
    Lose 10 lbs
    Log every bite.

Hugs to All. Have a great day tomorrow.

Paula Y
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Did 1 hr of Joyce Vidral's Upper and Lower body DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Kelly Coffee Meyer's 30 Minutes to Fitness. As I recall, there are two 30-minute workouts on this DVD.

Volunteered at the Green Room then went to one store to look at their dresses for the wedding. I found one I liked only I didn't like the price. Then I went to look for the dress store I used before and it looks like it's out of business. went to WalMart for a few things then needed to buy gas. Came home and the cat litter boxes were in the middle of the garage. Vince is (Yea!) putting up more shelves for my ceramics. Made an apple pie for Vince, am trying a new recipe. I don't remember who it was who suggested cooking the apples first. Well, I baked them and, boy, did they shrink down. Hope this works. After the pie comes out of the oven, I'll probably go in the garage snd asee how Vince is coming along and if I can help him any Update: It didn't shrink, but there's still a lot of "juice". Maybe it needed to be refrigerated before cutting. Kind-of like meat, it needs to "rest" so all the juices don't run out.

barbie - Vince being a retired CPA, he'd have a coronary if I even suggested he send his figures to an accountant.

I looked at my chlorine resistant swimsuit yesterday. The lining is really disintegrating but one thing that isn't are the "cups" for the girls. I'm thinking that maybe I can just sew them on using quilting thread. Quilting thread is thicker and so might hold better. Don't know if that will disintegrate over time, but if it does, I can always resew it back on.

Sherry - you sound so happy. Glad things are working out for you

Joyce - great goal

Anamika and caminogirl - welcome back!

Allie - just my opion here, but to me 2/3 is a lot of money. And my fear is that eventually he'll want 100%.

Welcome everyone new!

Drkatiebug - I know how that feels when you finally get landscaping work done. The only way I could get someone to do it was because Vince couldn't be outside for long periods of time. But I do have to say (this I'm sure won't apply to you) that I have never in my entire life been so disappointed in work that someone has done for me. I'll have to hire someone now to help me fix up his screw-ups

Carol - hope all goes well for you at the docs. You probably are right. I know whenever I'm favoring one leg or another, it hurts even more and sometimes in other places

Michele in NC
  • sumrdream
    sumrdream Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Sorry forgot to leave my name Elissa and I'm in North Texas :) Go TCU Horned Frogs!
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    ...just fell head first into a container of dark chocolate almond hearts ... dang ...
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    Options
    1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    19,000 steps
    185 minutes walking Sasha and Bess
    99 minutes riding the exercise bike watching figure skating and knitting
    10 minutes doing physical therapy exercises
    two hour line dance class

<3:)Re, thanks for your firm encouragement to do my PT exercises. I have been using the new dog and figure skating on TV as "excuses" to ignore them. When I first started doing them, they were easy to do and felt almost silly but the muscles hurt like crazy afterward because they were doing some good.

:) Bess doesn't have her coat yet, but she doesn't seem cold, she walks really fast and would walk even longer if I'd let her. She saw the vet today and was proclaimed in great shape but needs to lose about two pounds, so the long walks will be the perfect prescription.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Hey friends!
    Lenora you can go online to the IRS website and they have all the forms on there. Some you have to print out and fill in others you can do online. I found out about this at the library which is why they no longer have the forms there.

Lisa so sorry about DH. My daughter broke her wrist going UP the stairs in front of her school. After the cast came off the doctor had her use one of those little squishy balls that people use to relieve stress to strengthen the muscles around the wrist and in the hand.

We are suppose to be getting freezing rain tomorrow. The school district has already sent out a heads up message that they may close tomorrow depending on the weather as the kids are only going 1/2 day tomorrow (end of the semester).

A word to all the newbies. When I first started on here I almost gave up because it seemed like no one was paying attention to me. But I persevered and soon people were responding and I got to know them. Sometimes I try to respond to everyone - other times I only have time to check in and say what's going on in my life. Whatever I know we all care for and support each other. ((((((Hugs)))))) to all of you.

Janetr do not tone down your leggings. I love them!

Heather I am so glad you are back home - I bet you are too! Here is a belated flower to say Get better soon!heart-plant.gif

Gotta run to Fred Meyer so I'm off for now. I sent Becca a text so if she gets text messages perhaps we'll hear from her. I told her some of us have been yodeling her name.

Gloria in WA where I'm glad I bought a new warm jacket last month!