Metabolism help needed. $$$ money is on the line $$$

Options

Replies

• ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    LokiiDokii wrote: »
    Everyone has already said something about putting your health first, so no more of that from me!

Try drinking green tea throughout the day and also drinking at least 8 full glasses of water everyday. Cut out all sodas! :)

+1 on the "no soda". You need to get most of your nutrition from foods. Diet soda, maybe okay, but not as good as water. Veggies are a great food to snack on...crunchy and virtually no calories.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Don't eat so little that your body adapts by slowing down your daily activity.

Your metabolism isn't likely to go too much one way or another until your body fails at other methods to adapt to eating too little. You should notice hair falling out more when that starts happening.

Slowing down just your plain old daily burn is the first method used - making you move less.

So try to keep just as active, if not more. Usually found to burn more than specific exercise anyway over the course of a day.
    Park farther away, take more stairs, get up more frequently.

Then make sure you are eating enough to get a good workout when you do.
    And make sure you are eating enough to recover from a good workout when you do.

Fail either of those and sooner or later your workouts become mediocre, not giving the impact they could.

But to go along with what many said above - as soon as you made the bet about purely weight loss, you took it away from health.
    True, overweight has a big bearing on health - but so do other factors that weight alone can't indicate.

That would be as bad as taking a steps challenge - and then taking time away from a much better body transforming workout - and only walking to get steps in using your valuable time.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are on the right track already for weight reduction and the $100 would sure be a nice little bonus! Whether or not it's possible to "speed up your metabolism", I believe there are ways to make the most of your daily regimen. Lots of people on MFP believe in CICO (calories in-calories out) and I do, as well. However, I do find that the quality of my calories makes a difference in the speed of my weight loss. Maybe not true for everyone, but definitely true for me. If the bulk of my calories is high quality whole foods - primarily lean proteins, veggies, fruit and whole grains, then I seem to see a faster weight loss and I feel better overall. On the flip side, I can stay under my calorie goal while eating more carbs, some fast food, and drinking more of my calories and my body doesn't like that so much. While I may be under my calories, I don't seem to lose weight at the same rate (maintain yes, but not the losing part). Just mentioning this for what it's worth. Maybe the better food gives me more energy for workouts. Our bodies are all different. You'll find what works for you.

Strength training is great! Include that with your at home workout. Lots of easy bodyweight exercises that don't take any equipment. Also, move more throughout your day - not just the 30 mins of cardio after work or at home. Maybe walk on your lunch or breaks, take the stairs or the long way around to a meeting. I used to keep dumbbells at my desk and I'd do arm exercises while reading interminable emails.

Good luck and hope you win the big bucks!
  • rebeccatackett
    rebeccatackett Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Eating several small meals per day instead of one large meal will help the metabolism. If your body thinks it never gets food, it will hold on to what it gets when it finally gets it. Once it is used to being fed every couple of hours, it will burn it because it knows it will be fed in a couple of hours again. Also, if you go all day without eating, you will tend to overeat just because you haven't had anything all day. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and can jumpstart your metabolism. An occasional soda isn't "bad" for you but if you consistently drink it, you are consuming a lot of sugar which can affect your glycemic index (will cause crashes and cravings). Water is best. Hope this helps. The most important thing is to stay consistent and don't beat yourself up when you fall off the wagon and have a cheat or treat. You just get right back on track with your next meal and workout.
  • BlueHorse8
    BlueHorse8 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Jake, are you weighing everything? For me, I started on my journey on Jan 2 and I lost 12 pounds the first month; I started @ 274 pounds. My calorie intake is 2110 a day but I am always under, roughly 1700-1900. I avoid all deep fried foods and eat mostly chicken or turkey throughout the week. I weigh everything and log every calorie,except for my free day. I do have one day a week where I eat what I want within moderation to satisfy my cravings for certain food types but only one day, starting back on track on Monday for healthy choices. I started out just walking a mile 1/4 the first week and now i am doing over 3 miles, 3 times a week. Feel free to add me and check out my diary if it will help.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Eating several small meals per day instead of one large meal will help the metabolism. If your body thinks it never gets food, it will hold on to what it gets when it finally gets it. Once it is used to being fed every couple of hours, it will burn it because it knows it will be fed in a couple of hours again. Also, if you go all day without eating, you will tend to overeat just because you haven't had anything all day. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and can jumpstart your metabolism. An occasional soda isn't "bad" for you but if you consistently drink it, you are consuming a lot of sugar which can affect your glycemic index (will cause crashes and cravings). Water is best. Hope this helps. The most important thing is to stay consistent and don't beat yourself up when you fall off the wagon and have a cheat or treat. You just get right back on track with your next meal and workout.

The meal timing and multiple meals thing? No.

Not necessary and not true. Calorie Deficit. That is all.

I agree that the best tool here is good accurate tracking of food. Eat once a day or ten times a day, that doesn't matter at all. Find an activity that is fun for you to do (like NorthCascades said.) Don't try to cut calories too much, that is going to backfire on you. Just use a reasonable calorie deficit and keep good track of your food. Eat it, log it.
  • rebeccatackett
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Eating several small meals per day instead of one large meal will help the metabolism. If your body thinks it never gets food, it will hold on to what it gets when it finally gets it. Once it is used to being fed every couple of hours, it will burn it because it knows it will be fed in a couple of hours again. Also, if you go all day without eating, you will tend to overeat just because you haven't had anything all day. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and can jumpstart your metabolism.

All myth.

All sound bites from common phrases passed around without a bit of science to back it up.

Sorry.

Nope, sorry. It worked for me!
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

It worked for you because it helped you manage your hunger/satiety throughout the day. But to imply that it works for everyone is simply not true. With regard to the biological process of weight loss, nutrient and meal timing does not matter.

Plenty of people have just as much success (and prefer) eating three square meals per day or fasting intermittently. Different strokes for different folks.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Eating several small meals per day instead of one large meal will help the metabolism. If your body thinks it never gets food, it will hold on to what it gets when it finally gets it. Once it is used to being fed every couple of hours, it will burn it because it knows it will be fed in a couple of hours again. Also, if you go all day without eating, you will tend to overeat just because you haven't had anything all day. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and can jumpstart your metabolism.

All myth.

All sound bites from common phrases passed around without a bit of science to back it up.

Sorry.

if it caused you to be in a deficit that is what made it work,doesnt matter how many times a day you eat or dont eat, a deficit is what caused the weight loss.breakfast doesnt jumpstart anything. your metabolism is always working. its not like a car battery that dies and needs jumped so your car can start.
  • BlueHorse8
    BlueHorse8 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I agree with rebeccatackett. 5 or 6 small meals, eating every 2 1/2 to 3 hours does work.
  • rebeccatackett
    Options
    Actually everything I posted can be backed up with a little research on WebMD and many other websites. We all have to do what works for our individual self. Rudeness because someone posts something that you don't agree with is ignorance and not helpful. Starvation works for some people but that doesn't mean it's healthy or preferred by someone else.
  • rebeccatackett
    Options
    www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-boost-your-metabolism