Dating and dieting

Options

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Wow, you are all awesome!. I'm sorry I can't reply to each of you individually. So here's the thing, I actually love going out on dates. Sometimes they're awesome, sometimes they're not. My date tonight with a second date and it was pretty wonderful. If I met some guy who I was comfortable with I would be happy to cook at home or reduced to eating to a level I was comfortable with. The problem is first, Second, third dates. I need to get to the level that I'm comfortable with cutting back the food and letting them know I'm careful about what I eat. I want to have fun and I don't want to seem like a downer... Plus, food and whiskey! Who doesn't love that?

Remember that you can have a say in the restaurant too. You can pick a place you'd think he'd like, while looking at the menu first for yourself. Maybe you can't fit in the steak and potatoes, but whiskey and a big salad with shrimp? Sure.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Wow, you are all awesome!. I'm sorry I can't reply to each of you individually. So here's the thing, I actually love going out on dates. Sometimes they're awesome, sometimes they're not. My date tonight with a second date and it was pretty wonderful. If I met some guy who I was comfortable with I would be happy to cook at home or reduced to eating to a level I was comfortable with. The problem is first, Second, third dates. I need to get to the level that I'm comfortable with cutting back the food and letting them know I'm careful about what I eat. I want to have fun and I don't want to seem like a downer... Plus, food and whiskey! Who doesn't love that?

I love Scotch and I'm a foodie (although I hate that word). Now that I'm trying to lose weight, I moderate my intake. But that doesn't make me a downer. And I wouldn't consider a woman who's not eating or drinking a lot to be downer either. Your personality is what determines whether or not you're a downer, not what you decide to eat or drink. ;)
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Remember that you can have a say in the restaurant too. You can pick a place you'd think he'd like, while looking at the menu first for yourself. Maybe you can't fit in the steak and potatoes, but whiskey and a big salad with shrimp? Sure.

Yup, this. Suggest a tapas place or a gastropub-type bar that has a good appetizer menu. You could also suggest meeting up for happy hour, which is usually all about small plates.
  • NoAnalHere
    NoAnalHere Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't go on 3-4 dates a week but I understand!

1. My advice is to bank your calories! You know at least a day in advance before a date right? So eat lighter that day then eat most of your calories later. Going out most of the week seems to be your usual so make your CICO (calories in calories out) fit your lifestyle because this isn't a special treat that happens once in a while to splurge so don't treat it as such and stick to your calorie counting.

2. Another suggestion is you suggest the place to go out to, so your familiar with the place and plan ahead.

3. Yes first dates and culture center around food but you don't have to let it. Instead of foods and drinks how about drinks + an activity or food + activity.
  • K3rB3ar89
    K3rB3ar89 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Ugh i lost 40 dated my husband and gained it back... i just stopped paying attention. I feel your pain. Its not worth it
  • Katimira
    Katimira Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Whenever I'm going out, I try to burn "drink calories" on the treadmill. In my head, 500 calories = 3 or 4 drinks (depending on what I'm drinking).

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Katimira wrote: »

Whenever I'm going out, I try to burn "drink calories" on the treadmill. In my head, 500 calories = 3 or 4 drinks (depending on what I'm drinking).

how you getting 4 drinks out of 500 calories?
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    3 or 4 drinks is WAY above 500... you may wanna play around with mfp. Alcohol and pop is loaded with calories. Its scary..
  • abrubru
    abrubru Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Don't let it stress you now though. It can be fun, it can be horrible, and yes some thought goes into dieting around it. But, you don't NEED to go on 3 dates per week. When you're ready, you can go on as many or as little as you want :)

The biggest problem for me now is where does a 40 year old woman go to meet men that are single, intelligent, educated, working and relatively attractive? I am working on me, and if a "he" comes along, I'm willing to try!

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    K3rB3ar89 wrote: »
    3 or 4 drinks is WAY above 500... you may wanna play around with mfp. Alcohol and pop is loaded with calories. Its scary..

Not really light beer is under 100 per...A shot of hard in diet coke is to. Just likely not when going out to bars your likely to get bigger portions XD
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    1 ounce of vodka alone is about 100 calories. That doesnt account for pop or any "special" drinks.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    When I was attempting to date, my 1st goal was to; seek someone either already healthy or making sound progress, to be. Living the same type of, lifestyle'll make it easier to; decide now & later where to eat, you'll both bring something like; a picnic and/or do something active like, a hike before/after to, still hopefully stay on track!

For 1st dates I, don't believe they should begin as an elaborate production; coffee's fine & you don't even've to stay in the cafe while drinking it, walk somewhere outside away from people that'll easily; overhear you getting to know each other. Agree beforehand that it's casual/dressy so, no wondering how; much/little to dress, etc. Mention where'd you be coming from. A gym well you'll be in athletic clothing, work well you'll be in a uniform, suit, etc.
  • abrubru
    Options
    Katimira wrote: »

how you getting 4 drinks out of 500 calories?

If you are just drinking shots of hard liquor...or something on the rocks. And you can always mix with diet soda instead of juices or reg soda.
  • abrubru
    Options
    @ OP: You can have a whiskey up or on the rocks for under 100 calories...although I prefer vodka for that.
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    Im also canadian.. our light beer is 95-125 calories. But who just drinks? There's MANY factors.. after 2 or 3 you wanna eat too
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    K3rB3ar89 wrote: »
    Im also canadian.. our light beer is 95-125 calories. But who just drinks? There's MANY factors.. after 2 or 3 you wanna eat too

I like your back tracking LOL. I only drink just fine. Its called self control ;) I saved up for my alcohol i get my alcohol
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I mean I guess this heavily depends on the person. I am not much for expensive dinner first dates, and I find them boring. They don't give an impression about you ever, rather your trivial choices in that moment. There is nothing wrong with being straight forward about your nutrition either.

A good date for example was just walking around town, stopping by small craft shops, talking about everything and nothing. I think I remember 8 hours non stop talking with small rests in between my fav coffee shop, some random benches, and few buildings I know the designs of (Amazing views from the roof). The places were rather just slight background changes. I guess this heavily depends on the town though. Tokyo is amazing on foot.
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    All im saying is no where here csn you find light beer for much less then 100 calories. Beer is gross and unless your drinking straight up alcohol 500 calories would be hard to meet. Its got nothing to do with self control. I dont even drink.. going out is a very difficult thing for most.. thats what this post was about. Who cares about YOUR self control
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    im canadian... I know whats here