Dating and dieting

Options

Replies

• unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Personally I've never done dinner dates as a first date. I find them too intimidating and there's way too much pressure and things that can go wrong. I've always preferred just a coffee date to start. No worrying about ordering food, wine, and trying to maintain a conversation between plates being delivered, collected, and the inevitable do-we-go-dutch-or-not-on-the-bill. On a coffee date, you should know within the hour it takes to have 2 cups whether you want to see that person again or not, and easier on the calories as well.
  • lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    When I'm going to drink, I'm going to drink. I don't do it often, but when I do, it's probably not going to be just one. So I get you on that level. I have learned that drinking sugary drinks, while that's the type of drinks I really enjoy, make me feel sooo much worse the next day, and of course have way more calories. I would suggest mixing your whiskey (or whatever else you drink,) with a diet soda, or tonic/soda water, etc. The alcohol will still have calories, but you can save a lot by using a low calorie or calorie-free mixer. For example, usually when I'm out I order a Captain and diet Coke, because Captain&Coke is my favorite drink ever. And it's something even more limited bars have available.

Also, do you wear any type of fitness tracker? If you're going to a bar (or bars) for a date, would it include dancing? Not that dancing is going to fix everything, but you would burn more calories on the dance floor than you would sitting in a chair all night. If that's something you enjoy.
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Stick with coffee dates, and save the calories for if it becomes a 2nd date?

I would get sick of eating out 3-4 times a week, and drinking more than one drink (I assume you can fit 1 drink a day in your calorie goal) multiple times per week isn't the best for overall health either.

So I'd look at it from that POV.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    If this is a regular dating routine with the same person you must prepare to put your foot down. Years ago I was a normal weight. I started dating a guy who insisted on always going out to eat. He wasn't trying to go anywhere sensible or where there was anything in normal portion sizes. I always tried to order the smallest of whatever I could find on the menu. I always tried to get him to let me cook something for us at home, or to go to a place where more sensible choices were available. He just wouldn't have it and if I refused to g out to eat he would get all rude and nasty about it. If I didn't finish my food he had a problem with it, if I took it in to go box he had a problem with it. I still tried to keep it under control but my efforts were just not enough. I slowly started packing on weight until finally I couldn't even button my pants. Then he had the nerve to comment on my weight and my growing fat gut.

If anything like this begins to crop up in the dating process just don't back down. Stand your ground on maintaining your progress.
  • davidtcharron
    davidtcharron Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Date guys that fit your lifestyle.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    If this is a regular dating routine with the same person you must prepare to put your foot down. Years ago I was a normal weight. I started dating a guy who insisted on always going out to eat. He wasn't trying to go anywhere sensible or where there was anything in normal portion sizes. I always tried to order the smallest of whatever I could find on the menu. I always tried to get him to let me cook something for us at home, or to go to a place where more sensible choices were available. He just wouldn't have it and if I refused to g out to eat he would get all rude and nasty about it. If I didn't finish my food he had a problem with it, if I took it in to go box he had a problem with it. I still tried to keep it under control but my efforts were just not enough. I slowly started packing on weight until finally I couldn't even button my pants. Then he had the nerve to comment on my weight and my growing fat gut.

If anything like this begins to crop up in the dating process just don't back down. Stand your ground on maintaining your progress.

He sounds awful! I hope you broke up with him. No, my situation is nothing like that currently. I'm exploring the world of dating and going out with different men. Last night was my first "second" date. I guess I'll see where it goes, but I think I'll otherwise take a break.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Katimira wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Whenever I'm going out, I try to burn "drink calories" on the treadmill. In my head, 500 calories = 3 or 4 drinks (depending on what I'm drinking).

how you getting 4 drinks out of 500 calories?

On nights when I want more than one drink, I have vodka soda. The OP drinks whiskey. Straight up whiskey is about 80 calories. As for the food, you can have that on a regular calorie budget, especially if you accept to go at maintenance on days when you have dates as others have suggested. It will slow down the progress but weight loss should still be possible.

I drink whiskey straight as well. Those are the calories of 1oz. Bartenders pour at least 1.5-2 oz.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    K3rB3ar89 wrote: »
    3 or 4 drinks is WAY above 500... you may wanna play around with mfp. Alcohol and pop is loaded with calories. Its scary..

Not really light beer is under 100 per...A shot of hard in diet coke is to. Just likely not when going out to bars your likely to get bigger portions XD

I would never drink a light beer so I guess I forgot. I like to sip nice whiskey. Occasionally an old fashioned which does add calories
  • bbell1985
    Options
    abrubru wrote: »

Don't let it stress you now though. It can be fun, it can be horrible, and yes some thought goes into dieting around it. But, you don't NEED to go on 3 dates per week. When you're ready, you can go on as many or as little as you want :)

The biggest problem for me now is where does a 40 year old woman go to meet men that are single, intelligent, educated, working and relatively attractive? I am working on me, and if a "he" comes along, I'm willing to try!

Try match.com or eharmony. I still prefer okcupid and Tinder because they are free, but even at 31 I'm starting to age out of those apps (competing with 22 year olds is not fun).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You can nurse a single drink all night. Have a glass of water handy too.

Eat slowly and chat more. Ask your date lots of questions.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    1 ounce of vodka alone is about 100 calories. That doesnt account for pop or any "special" drinks.

4 x 100 = 400 by my maths.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    abrubru wrote: »

Don't let it stress you now though. It can be fun, it can be horrible, and yes some thought goes into dieting around it. But, you don't NEED to go on 3 dates per week. When you're ready, you can go on as many or as little as you want :)

The biggest problem for me now is where does a 40 year old woman go to meet men that are single, intelligent, educated, working and relatively attractive? I am working on me, and if a "he" comes along, I'm willing to try!

Try match.com or eharmony. I still prefer okcupid and Tinder because they are free, but even at 31 I'm starting to age out of those apps (competing with 22 year olds is not fun).

And you get what you pay for. ;)

On match and eharmony? I know.
  • Katimira
    Katimira Posts: 50 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Whenever I'm going out, I try to burn "drink calories" on the treadmill. In my head, 500 calories = 3 or 4 drinks (depending on what I'm drinking).

On nights when I want more than one drink, I have vodka soda. The OP drinks whiskey. Straight up whiskey is about 80 calories. As for the food, you can have that on a regular calorie budget, especially if you accept to go at maintenance on days when you have dates as others have suggested. It will slow down the progress but weight loss should still be possible.

I drink whiskey straight as well. Those are the calories of 1oz. Bartenders pour at least 1.5-2 oz.

That's a good point. For vodka soda, I ask for a single shot in a tall glass. I usually never feel the need for more than 3 drinks, which keeps me under the 500 calories I have burned even if the bartender is generous (6*70= 420). For whiskey 6*80= 480.

My point was that I earn my drinks through exercise. It works for me. It's motivating once I'm on the treadmill or elliptical to think that every calorie burned is going towards a fun night out. It might not be for everyone but I've been doing it this way for the last month and am steadily losing weight.

• bbell1985
    Options

That's a good point. For vodka soda, I ask for a single shot in a tall glass. I usually never feel the need for more than 3 drinks, which keeps me under the 500 calories I have burned even if the bartender is generous (6*70= 420).

My point was that I earn my drinks through exercise. It works for me. It's motivating once I'm on the treadmill or elliptical to think that every calorie burned is going towards a fun night out. It might not be for everyone but I've been doing it this way for the last month and am steadily losing weight.

Yeah I was thinking if I was going to do a vodka soda I could as for one shot for now on.

I would never do cardio for a night out lol. I hate it so much. But i get it.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I was never proven wrong by anything. I was making a point. Dates usually involve food and alcohol. As said its the "default". Your basically arguing that im wrong because if i was it wouldnt be the topic of HOW TO AVOID IT. So good for you to say you have self control and can have 3 or 4 drinks without food. Most people dont have the control. And no MOST drinks people want to drink are over the limit. Realistically most people will NOT drink ONLY within the limit because realistically everyone loves the drinks that arent healthy and they wouldnt be anyone's first choice.

You were proven wrong. You asked specifically how 3-4 drinks can only be 500 calories, and @JaydedMiss went and told you how. Now you are attacking her, and and trying to judge her dating style? You'ver really never been on a date, when there are only drinks? Not every date has to be a full on meal. The sad part is that the original person who was giving the analogy was just trying to give some helpful advice on how she trys to prepare for going out, and you took as it came from the bible and that's all she does, and that she is telling you that is all you should do.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »
    I was never proven wrong by anything. I was making a point. Dates usually involve food and alcohol. As said its the "default". Your basically arguing that im wrong because if i was it wouldnt be the topic of HOW TO AVOID IT. So good for you to say you have self control and can have 3 or 4 drinks without food. Most people dont have the control. And no MOST drinks people want to drink are over the limit. Realistically most people will NOT drink ONLY within the limit because realistically everyone loves the drinks that arent healthy and they wouldnt be anyone's first choice.

You were proven wrong. You asked specifically how 3-4 drinks can only be 500 calories, and @JaydedMiss went and told you how. Now you are attacking her, and and trying to judge her dating style? You'ver really never been on a date, when there are only drinks? Not every date has to be a full on meal. The sad part is that the original person who was giving the analogy was just trying to give some helpful advice on how she trys to prepare for going out, and you took as it came from the bible and that's all she does, and that she is telling you that is all you should do.

I asked about the drinks....not whoever you are referring to.

It also makes sense to me now. I just really wasn't thinking about shots.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to read 4 pages and someone probably already said this, but dating is about compatibility. It sounds like you are trying to date people that are incompatible with your lifestyle.

Why not just date other health/fitness minded people? They would still probably be game to go party on occasion, but not all the time.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    I am dating a tall, lean marathon runner right now. I'm a short, chubby, power lifter. He still SUGGESTS tacos, beer, and pizza...and I save up for it. But he is totally cool with me counting macros, knows I want to lose fat, and that I might say "no thanks, not tonight". It's lovely dating other athletes.