WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Hi all - went away for the weekend and finally managed to skim through all the posts. It is amazing to see all the successes so far this month. Congratulations all!

Carey - Northern Alberta

Goals for Jan:
    - Increase walking to 7500 per day by end of month
    - Get to Tai Chi at least once a week
    - Increase daily water intake

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Paula – To keep up with us, you can’t afford to miss a day; we post several times a day.

DJ – I can’t wait until it is warm enough to get in the pool. I like summer exercise a lot better than winter exercise.

Re – I mean to say that I will not see a PsycheMD in or around Albany; I like the one I go to in Macon, GA.

Heather – Octopus starter would make me lose my appetite. My DMnL loved escargot; YUCK!

I was supposed to ‘change up’ my diet plan; so I have overeaten ever since; I don’t eat back my calories; but it would not have made any difference … I was ‘hungry’. Today, I might stay within my caloric intake; but, it is questionable.

Look good; I am sure you are happy to now be back on the road to recovery. Hate that your vacation was spent in bed and bath.

Joyce – Most times they do send the results to my GP; that is one of the first questions I get asked. All the MDs and the hospital have computers and they can get records from each other provide the patient has signed an authorization for it. My PsycheMD doesn’t believe she has the correct records, and he was surprised when I told him, she was rather ‘flippant’ when she gave the results. My GYN used to personally make calls to the patient; now it is his nurse. But, if I want to talk to him, if he is in the office, I am able to. Otherwise, I get a letter (if everything is normal). Usually as soon as the results hit their office.
    I can see my own results as well through the Patient Portal.

Allison – He might be really surprised at what you are able to get; even if he has to sell stuff to get it to you. That’s what I think he ‘deserves’. I would still want to have a Bench Trial in front of a judge rather than a mediation by ‘yet’ another attorney. Do NOT agree to use the same attorney; because he will be unable to separate things because he will be representing by the one who is paying. He won’t be consider about the other. My boss used to tell the other side that he would not represent the other party. He would not even talk to the other party without his attorney being present at his office.

pitegny – Actually I’ve lived my paralegal days as my Dad was an attorney and I worked for him as soon as I could do so. I hated having to go up to his office to spend Wednesday afternoons and Saturday mornings answering the phone. Probably because, she his office was ‘over’ the drugstore, I felt a little isolated. He was one of the first people in the county to get a private line. I’d have to go check and copy deeds by ‘writing them out longhand’. The books were huge and a lot of the old ones were handwritten. Usually in brown ink and whoever did them must have had a job to do them. Would see the same thing in other counties. Perfectly written in cursive.

Sarah – This is my first year of looking at things and thinking, ‘this would make a good gift’ and then I won’t have to scurry around at the last minute.
    Ate the other half of my Mexican meal from Sunday this afternoon for lunch. Tonight I will only go over my caloric intake by 8 points. Woo-Hoo!!!!!

Klanders30 – A lot has to do with the gastroenterologist you go to. Some go the gallon of crap [no pun intended] that you have to start drinking 12 hours before and sit in the bathroom most all night. Some will give you a pill and then a small drink. I could have taken a Ducalax and a small bottle of Citrus Nitrate and been clean enough to have one. Made that mistake once when I got constipated. Actually did 2 other things. By the time I went to my GYN because of having 4 back-to-back UTI’s and could not pee … I did NOT want for him to examine me. Thankfully, the nurse gave him a ‘head up’ (or ‘tails up’).

Betty – When I was a child and being sent for ‘swimming lessons’ I screamed the entire time. Later that summer we went to the beach, on vacation; Daddy and DMS and I got caught in a rip-tide on 2 floats. He pushed my sister’s float out of it and she was able to get back in; we had to have the lifeguards come get us. I did not want to get back on a float in the ocean for a long, long time. Then, I was jumping waves and did a misstep and ended up underwater longer than I would have liked; but, after that they could not keep me out of the ocean. Came back home, and had no problem swimming in the pool. As a teen, I was one of the lifeguards at the city pool; and they had a ‘summer camp’ which involved teaching the kiddos to swim. This isn’t the ‘best’ way to teach someone who screamed the entire time; but his Mother was the problem. I finally asked if she would leave him and not sit there during the lessons. He was a distraction to the other kids or I would teach him privately. She left; and, I walked him around the pool; the next turn around he had to step up on the side; ½ way through our 3rd trip around I was asking him ‘if he trusted me’. He said, yeah … I took him by both arms and slung him out into the pool as far as I could and jumped right in after him. I kept telling him to ‘shut up and close his mouth’. He was fighting but I would not let him get near me. I told him to start moving his legs like he was peddling his bike and to move his arms in a ‘figure 8’. He did and I told him, you can ‘tread water’ … so ‘if’ you ever get pushed in the pool; remember to ‘ride your bike’. Then I told him to lay his head back and when he did … he floated. I told him, then ‘do this’ … as long as you are ‘in the pool’ I will always watch over you when I am ‘on duty’. Got him to work his way towards me as I backed up; until he got to the side of the pool and I helped him out. Then, he wanted to go ‘jump off the low dive’. I walked to the end of it with him; but, he had to jump off by himself … I jumped off after him. Then we spend the rest of the morning actually ‘learning how to swim’. I think he just needed some one-on-one time. I know that it was an unconventional way of doing something; but, it worked. There is no reason to be afraid of the water; but it worked. Teaching my DOGD, I was in the pool and she was leaning over the edge; and, I pulled her in. I think ‘swimming’ can be scary if you ever feel like you are drowning as ‘drowning’ is NOT an easy way to die. But, there are things you can do to help calm yourself down (or you need to wear a life preserver). My DMGD kept saying I was trying to ‘drown’ her. When my DYGD came along any she sat in a seat that floated; her mother asked me, ‘how to you get them to not be afraid of the water’? You baptize them; I took her put my hand over her mouth and held her nose and leaned her back into the water. She came up sputtering; but, she thought it was funny. After that, she would stick her face into the water that surrounded the seat.

He needs to lay on his stomach in a little shallower water and flip his legs, front and back … or hang on to the side of the pool and do it. My DDnL#1 can ‘swim’; but, she is not a strong swimmer. She was never around water to learn how to swim. She doggie paddles and that is extremely tiring. One on one to work through a fear of water is probably the best way to go. But, most “Y” pools are 3 ½ - 4 feet deep at the most shallow point. Is he afraid to stick his face in the water as well? Take a big gulp of air; and blow out your nose and water won’t come up it. Start in the bathtub if necessary to get over the fear of water. Most people are afraid of the water, especially if they have had a ‘scary’ experience with it. I play with my DGDs all the time in the pool, ducking them, pulling them by their legs. I want them to understand that anything can happen in a blink of an eye … and they need to ‘learn to think fast’. The easiest age to start teaching a small child is about 2 years old or less. They don’t have ‘fear’ at that age; and, maybe their parents have not instilled in them of ‘having fear for the water’. If a child is going to be around water, he needs to either have on a floatation device or stay away from the body of water. Kids ‘horse-playing’ around are not thinking about some other kid who doesn’t know how to swim. Once I learned, I found it difficult to believe that others could not swim. I guess I thought everybody could and I had just be the ‘baby’.

My DH and I used to go ‘diving’ down in the Bahamas; the first year that we went down, we did a “Wall Dive” where you all go down a rope that is attached to a huge red ball. I wanted to see, so I wanted to be at the bottom of the line, so the bubbles rising to the top would not impede my sight. We were floating along with the current. I got about ½-way down and someone kicked off my mask. I panicked BIG TIME and started back up the rope at record speed. I climbed up on that ball and the dive boat can over to get me. I probably came damn close to having the ‘bends’ because of it … I was bleeding out my nose and mouth. That incident panicked me in a way I have never been that afraid before. The next year, I went down again, this time without incident and ‘loved it’. But, when that wall drops off … it is black as can be. The dive master could swim without a mask and hold his breath for the longest time. He had fins on that were almost a yard long. That was the same year they had a school of dolphins come near the island, we were able to get in the water with our ‘snorkeling gear’ and swim with them. It was so much fun, too!

Lenora
  • lacruiser2016
    lacruiser2016 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Cheri, congratulations! A lb a week is great! I'm keeping my fingers crossed I don't hit a big stall.

I love that you can buy butternut squash already peeled and cut up! I can get it at Costco, and even my Walmart neighborhood market has it. Used to not get it because it's such a pain to cut up and peel. Made a curried coconut butternut squash soup the other day, and it's delish! Uses red Thai curry paste and a little full fat coconut milk; very low calorie count and very filling. DH will not eat anything curry/curried and I love it, so usually take the opportunity to make it while he's travelling.

Have a great night, all!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

all apple watch, wahoo couldn't connect
    ride hm 2 gym- 14.53min, 11.8amph, 2.9mi, windy= 106c
    0 runner- 40min, 41avlength, 11avheight, 112avcadence, 10ap, 4.67mi = 288c
    ride gym 2 dome- 7.28min, 144mhr, 11.4amph, 1.4mi, windy = 57c
    jog station 2 wk- 4.59min, 9.56ap, .5mi = 58c
    jog wk 2 sta- 4.40min, 8.51ap, .5mi = 63c
    ride dome 2 hm- up Mst.- 18.37min, 8.1amph, 2.5mi = 148c

total cal 721
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options
    I'll think about it reRe :0)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

sleeping-beauty-smiley-emoticon.gif it's almost bedtime for me, so I started the thread for February. Here is the link:

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10510538/women-ages-50-for-february-2017#latest

Don't forget to bookmark it so you can find it again.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening My Dear Friends,

Grace, I am sending healing thoughts and prayers for Megan. You be sure to take care of you while going through this. (((Hugs))) [later] Glad to hear she is doing well.

Sharon, now that you have it, just enjoy the heck out of that new, fancy RV.

Mavis, I like the way you incorporate your work outs into your daily routine or should I say into your elimination schedule? Lol Plus the more you drink, the more you go thus the healthier you get. What a win, win, win.

Kelly, so glad the “big flush” and camera tube both went well. I’ve had some much easier than others. I think they keep improving the prep juice.

Rita, glad you are better and hope you continue to feel better. Cute pups.

MicheleNC, sorry you don’t get to leave for Florida as early as you’d like.

Paula, good for you on turning down the trip to the coffee bar. It’s really better to just stay away and think of the $$$ you saved.

Heather, I love your UV outfit and you look wonderful in it. Way to go.

Betty, that is ashamed about the swim fear. When we have an unpleasant experience like that it is hard to get over. I chocked once on a kiwi fruit and never wanted to eat one again. I don’t know that it was a fear but I can certainly see how the fear of drowning could affect someone. Good luck.

Sherry, so happy for you in your new digs. Do keep us informed as to what’s going on. I trust you have someone in your life that you have given names and address of your hosts since you really haven’t known them that long. Never hurts to be safe.

Kay, I’m looking for my boot to get you going on that cleaning. Trust me, I know what you mean. It’s not my favorite thing in my old age. football-punting-accident-smiley-emoticon.gif

Re, you are doing fantastic. Just keep it up and you will be there before you know it.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I had an appointment with the trainer today to work on arms. The class will take up to 5 people but I’m the only one that signed up so got him all to myself. Tomorrow I’ve signed up for a leg class. I’m just trying to get re-motivated for my work-outs. This guy is really good. He told us that abs are better worked on with weights as the ab machines will add bulk which none of us want. Congrats to all of you with successes. To the rest of you, we can do this so just take one day at a time. See you all in February.

Sending love, good thoughts and sunshine to all of you.
    I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Allie,you are quiet tonight. Are you OK?

Heather, you not only look fabulous but you look happy again. Glad your waiter was so impressed with your Spanish. Hope you and DH can find a good table that is half shade/half sunny.

Well Michelle picked up her foster boxer today. They have a really good dog park here that she is part of the board of directors. So she made sure she had some one take her own boxer, Justice, to the park and she picked up her foster boxer, Butch, to the dog park. Immediately it was a fight. There were other dogs there and Butch could have gone to them but it was all Justice. He has not been neutered so she is hoping that getting that done may help. She is not a quitter when it comes to socializing dogs whether they belong to her or not. I just don't know what she is doing with Butch while she is at work. I can't imagine her leaving them both out in her home from 3 until midnight. But if she leaves Justice out like he always is and Butch crated I can't imagine that would help the issue. All I know is that my babies heart is crushed.

One of the new exercises my PT gave me yesterday that is kicking my butt is this one where you lay on your back with your knees bent then raise your butt off the bed. Think missionary position ;) I got a call from Freedom Medical that my shoes were in so I go in excitement with my support hose in my purse and leave for the mall. The first size was 9 1/2 W which surprised me and I was correct that they wouldn't fit. So they then ordered 9 1/2 M. So that's what I got and tried on. :'( The width was fine but I just wasn't comfortable with the length. The length was fine when I had the W on but there was very little toe wiggle room at all. So a 10 M is now ordered. I sure hope they come in by the end of the week as that will give me more reason not to shut the alarm off and get up and go to church. Yeah, I am back to that problem again. I guess I need to set 3 alarms again.

We did got to the grocery store and I didn't use the scooter!!!! I walked the whole time. My worst time is when I have to stand still. But shopping with Charlie is so hard. He has used Right Guard deodorant for years but yet he stands there and compares prices on all these different kinds. And then after he chooses THE can, he has to take the cap off spray. Is it a strong spray, does it smell as awful as all the thousands of cans have, is the lid broke so it may be contaminated? So I go up and down the aisle. At least I got some steps in. We got to many items to go through the self serve checkout or the quick check out so I try to find a short aisle. I almost run into this lady and as I am apologizing, a cashier hears me and says to follow her she is getting ready to open a lane!!!!! Plus I am able to step up onto my porch without holding on to this milk thing that Mom had Dad put a truck seat on for a chair. Yeah me!!!!

Grace so glad your daughter is doing better. Scary thing.

Just messaged Michelle. When she tried to crate him he fought real hard and scratched his face real bad. So she took him back to animal control and the rescue agency is trying to find a boxer rescue. I can't imagine her heart right now.

Joyce, Indiana
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Re, I got my under the desk stationary bike from Amazon. I hear Target has them also but are back ordered. They are about $30. Didn't work for me because my desk is too low but I now use it while sitting on my sofa watching TV and reading all about your lives. Got in 38 minutes tonight.

Speaking of Amazon, I was surfing for colorful leggings. I only own black, for winter, and white, for summer and after reading about those of you with legging addictions I thought I may have to expand my legging wardrobe. Wow! What wonderful offerings. Michele, was it you who inquired about green elf like leggings? Check out Amazon, I'm sure you will find them there.

Turkey chili from the crockpot tonight, I used a different crockpot mix and it was way too salty. The scale will not be kind tomorrow.

Off to sleep. Good night everyone.

Chris in MA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: The UV outfit is really flattering, and if it deals with sunlight and bugs I'll want one for myself if I ever visit Mexico again, or anyplace with big, hungry mosquitoes. :bigsmile:

Dr. Katie: I agree with your advice to LA Cruiser. Our new habits here are forever if we want to keep the weight off. It is best to go slowly and to plan to include favorites and treats in such a way that they won't become a binge and derail our healthy lifestyle. :flowerforyou:

Betty: I like the idea of having lessons, especially if you can find a teacher who is able to help with anxiety issues. :flowerforyou:

Jolene: You will be in my prayers. Please let us know how the doctor appointment goes. :smiley:

I walked with a friend today & we went all over nearby neighborhoods. She brought her dog along and we stopped by the groomer for my dog while we were walking. I certainly enjoyed the walk, and I think my friend and both dogs did, too. Later I took our car in to the tire store because of a low tire and ended up buying two new tires. The new ones have plenty of stop, but they make the steering feel different. I expect to get used to it. When I got home I brought DH's recumbent bike into the living room and set it up on its trainer. He's been claiming that it is too cold to ride it in the garage. Problem solved. Bringing the recumbent into the living room took away several well worn excuses. Now he can stay warm, watch TV or listen to his music and ride all at once. :devil: :angel:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn
  • sherryminchagain
    sherryminchagain Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hey now....

I love you all for being concerned for my safety, but give me some credit.....my former neighbor who drove out here from Portland to take me to the hospital has a copy of the physical address, their names and did cursory background checks on these people for me since I have no money (which I will pay them for when SSD comes in). They check out fine and I made a safety plan and it is in place. Remember, I DID say that I am smarter than most people give me credit for. So please don't worry....be happy!!

I almost forgot, I dumped my SSD attorney because he breached our contract by not informing Social Security of my new address and for lying to me. So yesterday morning I did my research and now have a new attorney that is going to appeal the judge's decision on my disability and he strongly feels that he can get the decision reversed. He told me that if the x-rays, MRIs and CT scans back up what I told him I am diagnosed with, that I have no less than 6 qualifying disabilities. There are plenty of medical records and psych records, along with a butt load of x-rays, 3 MRIs, and 2 CT scans to back up the medical claims. Of course, I don't trust lawyers so we shall see if he can pull a rabbit out of his hat, cuz that's what it's gonna take I think.

Any way, let me see if I have something to tickle the funnybone.....

y80vvqv3htt4.jpg
    2hs4cggwcjbr.jpg
    uwke9ku3a9k7.jpg

Hope those bring a giggle to you all. I just got back from my walk and it's time to change into my jammies and get comfy with a good TV show or two before bed. I'll check in tomorrow as it will be an easy day, woooohoooo laundry (picture rolling eyes), piece of cake. Hope everybody has a good evening and gets plenty of sleep! Love ya'll!!! Peace!

Sherry in "Nowheresville, Columbia River Gorge"

• GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Late start reading so will not finish tonight as I need to get to sleep!
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Wheeeeeeee!

It's a new month! Off to see what my girls are doing in FEBRUARY!!!

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10510538/women-ages-50-for-february-2017#latest

Don't forget to bookmark it so you can find it again.

Thanks, Barbie!!!

• Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    choklityum wrote: »
    I'm not sure how long I'll stick with the troop. At least until we can find a new Scoutmaster. And wow - you went on some awesome trips! My son went to Philmont (NM) and we did the Boundary Waters (Ely, MN). He's been to other areas around the Midwest, but nothing overseas.

My husband went to Philmont as a boy and then twice as an adult leader. I went once as an adult leader (did an 84 mile trek), my daughter went once and my son went twice as a scout and then worked there for three years as a Ranger. Philmont has a lot of special memories for all of us. We lived in the council where it is located so we visited in the off season for treks too. The troop my son was in usually did a summer camp in a different state every other year and then stayed in state on the opposite years. I think his favorite camp was San Isabel in Colorado. He also worked there for two summers as a counselor (which then led to the Philmont staff position when he was in college.) He didn't do any overseas trips but did go to Jamboree back in ... 80? Not sure when, but Clinton was president and refused to go speak to the scouts that year... booo

Marcelyn
    mom to an Eagle Scout

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Checking in ladies. (((((hugs)))))) Doing well, down 5 lbs since last December in the TOPS books, a bit more at home because I weigh naked! They won't let me do that at the TOPS meetings dang it!

In January I rec'd a certificate saying I had lost 3.6 lbs in January. Something for my frig to keep me on track. Then my weight buddy and I lost the most for the month! She contributed 1 lb, and I did the 3.6 so a certificate saying we lost 4.6 together. Some MORE frig art! Yeah me!

Today husband and I drove to Portland OHSU for his ERCP procedure taking out a stent and putting new ones in. We started our trek at 4:30AM, procedure at 9AM and then home by 1:30PM. It has been a long day, and even though he is napping now, I am staying up so I will tumble into bed when the time comes. I drove home, roads were dry but really windy and bone cold. The car was being pushed around, so by the time I got home my right hand was cramped up! I was gripping that wheel!

Sorry I haven't been posting more, but I am logging my food, and husband is on the computer so my Amazon Fire doesn't get the internet all the time.
    Be good all!

Question: when I am calculating the nutritional info to have my daily logging be 50% carbs, 20% protein, and 30% fats, I am always trying to drum up more fat and protein for my dinner meals. Tell me some "pure proteins". Presently I eat chicken, some beef, nuts, beans, some salmon when I can afford it, but I have a hard time reaching that 20%!!

Love Becca
    from Oregon
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to check out the February thread!

See you there!!

Re in TX

• iamimagine
    iamimagine Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Becca- I am having the opposite problem. I'm on a cleanse that uses nuts, and sunflower and pumpkin seeds. It that makes my fat too high. I'm losing weight and not hungry, but I call it the squirrel diet. Lol. Try adding nuts for healthy protein with fat.
  • SGCFAb5320162016
    SGCFAb5320162016 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    RGraver wrote: »
    Hi, I'm new here. I started MFP last spring, lost 15 lbs, hurt my foot, stopped power walking and tracking and packed it back on. Looking for people to 'check in with' to help stay on track. I'm 51, a Christian, administrative assist; used to be athletic and still eat pretty healthy, but don't when I'm not tracking or doing some kind of exercise. Looking forward to meeting more gals here. Live near Seattle, WA.

• SGCFAb5320162016
    SGCFAb5320162016 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!!I'm 53 and have been wrestling with an arthritic knee that is wearing down.have lost 5 lbs logging food and cutting down on bread and sweets.also a christian.have you checked out bible app you version.dont give up!!gained 7 lbs when on steroids for knee but I'm getting back on track.also I have been drinking a glass of lemon ice water at night.helps me.im from the mountains of wild wonderful almost heaven West Virginia