40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    larrodarro wrote: »
    Hey guys. Long time no see. I'm still alive and kicking. For the last 6-8 months I have had the hiking bug in a bad way. My days are so full, I've been doing a lot of night hiking. I'm trying to keep my pack under 30 pounds, but I do love my "stuff", so it is a challenge. I've been recording some of my hikes with my GoPro, but haven't had the nerve to post them yet. Will have to get much better at filming before I do that.

I'm still a creature of habit, and it's Tuesday, so I'm off to do the week's shopping. I'll try to check in more often. Hope everyone is having a good day, Larro.

Hi Larro!!!!
    Missed you.

Hey. I saw you were in training for your BSA hiking trip. That should be a fun trip. I can't do heavy packs for very long. My feet bother me if I get over 30 pounds. I should say my feet bother me more. They always hurt after a day on the trail.

I can prepare for the weight. I can't prepare for going from 700 feet elevation to starting at 7500 feet and going up to 13000.

Nothing but mountains can prepare you for mountains. In the next county over, Torreya State Park has some ups and downs, but there is no hills to speak of around the Larro Ranchero. I got in almost two hours this morning with a 16 pound pack. Also did a couple hours of night hiking last night.
  • larrodarro
    Options
    3furballs wrote: »
    @larrodarro , nice to see you again!

Glad to see you are still doing well. Keep up the good work.

• gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    Beast: Rest=in progress. shoveled some snow...wasn't much there. 'bout to crawl back in my pj's and fire up the PS4...take advantage of this free day off.
  • MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. Long time no see. I'm still alive and kicking. For the last 6-8 months I have had the hiking bug in a bad way. My days are so full, I've been doing a lot of night hiking. I'm trying to keep my pack under 30 pounds, but I do love my "stuff", so it is a challenge. I've been recording some of my hikes with my GoPro, but haven't had the nerve to post them yet. Will have to get much better at filming before I do that.

I'm still a creature of habit, and it's Tuesday, so I'm off to do the week's shopping. I'll try to check in more often. Hope everyone is having a good day, Larro.

You sound like someone I need to friend now! I'm hoping to hike either some of the PCT or some of the Camino de Santiago for my 50th birthday celebration in 2019. Been reading and budgeting so I can prepare to be out there for several weeks.
  • MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options
    Morning kids. We are expecting a bad snow storm tonight into tomorrow. I have to get an extremely good workout in today. It is 60 degrees today and the snow trucks are on the highway already. Such an oxymoron. Have a great day kids.

We got it yesterday afternoon. Big storm with lots of wind and rain. We were without power for a couple of hours. But we just heard that a classmate of Sister was killed when a tree blew down on him. His wife is also Sister's classmate as well as a coworker. Sad day today.

Condolences
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,954 Member
    Options
    Djproulx, what a lovely sentiment.

I can do waaayyyyy more lifting than I could five years ago. Ten years ago. So, it is a "win".

I lifted today. BOOM!
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "Body Beast Bulk: Back"=Done!
  • larrodarro
    Options
    MiamiSeoul wrote: »

You sound like someone I need to friend now! I'm hoping to hike either some of the PCT or some of the Camino de Santiago for my 50th birthday celebration in 2019. Been reading and budgeting so I can prepare to be out there for several weeks.

I'll be glad to have you, but I'm not a good MFP friend. I spend way too much time outside, and not near enough on my keyboard.
  • larrodarro
    Options
  • larrodarro
    Options

What I meant to say was. . .
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=fzTaRkTVvDE
  • larrodarro
    Options
    ^^^^^ don't forget to right click and open in a new tab.
  • shellyld2016
    shellyld2016 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Great topic. I am 46 and pretty much in the worst shape of my life. Ugh. I have started making small changes in my attitude and habits and am hoping that by the end of this year, I will be closer to a healthy weight and certain health issues will be either better under control or gone altogether. Looking forward to hearing how you all approach your health and learning new things.

You came to a great place to make those changes!
  • larrodarro
    Options
    What's been happening at the Larro Ranchero? Funny you should ask. Just sold the pinestraw a couple weeks ago. Looks like a good crop this year.

ssfhz9b6d49q.jpg
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    What's been happening at the Larro Ranchero? Funny you should ask. Just sold the pinestraw a couple weeks ago. Looks like a good crop this year.

ssfhz9b6d49q.jpg

How is pinestraw used? I did not know it was a commercial product....
  • Djproulx
    Options
    True winter conditions this weekend after more than a foot of snow fell on Thursday and a couple more inches fell last night. Even with the roads being plowed, I will have to wear nano spikes for this morning's long run.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    I have started making small changes in my attitude and habits and am hoping that by the end of this year, I will be closer to a healthy weight and certain health issues will be either better under control or gone altogether.

That sounds like a path to long term success........
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "Body Beast Bulk: Arms"=Done!