What is the daftest weight related thing someone has ever said to you?

Options

Replies

• cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    @AnvilHead wins all of the stuff
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    brittyn3 wrote: »
    ...Daft: After having lost 20+lbs, I stopped by a trainer offering free body fat percentage scans at my gym. The % was only 2% lower than what it was when I started losing weight.
    You need a dunk test (hydrostatic weighing) if you want your body fat "properly" measured.
    Most BIA scanners are usually not much better than toys.

The fact is that things like time of day, hydration levels, when you last went to the bathroom, the last time you ate, the last time you exercised and even time of month (female) can affect the numbers of ANY body fat measurement.
    The "trainer" is incompetent. If it helps then you can tell him I said so.

For what it is worth, a Bod Pod and DEXA scans are better than gym BIA devices, but hydrostatic weighing is the Gold Standard.
    Some hospitals and gyms have trucks with dunk tanks that drive around every month or so if you do a Google search.

The easiest thing is just to do a waist measurement at the belly button with a cloth tape once a week, first thing in the morning after using the bathroom.
    If your waist measurement isn't moving every few weeks then you may need to make adjustments.

@AnvilHead mentioned calipers which can also work but it can be tough to get an accurate measurement of the same site every time. Takes practice and experience.

And yeah, the only thing more accurate than hydrostatic weighing is an autopsy but that is a bit extreme...

I was just using it as a reference point to gage progress vs. completely accurate. A trainer had me use it when I first started working out, so I was curious what I was down in reference to that same measurement tool. Pure curiosity, not necessity.

The machine inaccuracy isn't what was appalling, it was the trainer that told me I still have a high body fat comp and I haven't been progressing like I thought I was. It was concerning to me that he would say that to someone so vehemently. I almost spoke to a manager about it, but decided to let it go. I think he was a supervisor. Someone that busts their *kitten off, and to be told you're not really doing anything... terrible.

Edit to add: I appreciate your advice/insight - when I'm ready to get an accurate reading... I'll definitely take both of your advice. Thank you!! :)
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Heard at work today (from a male colleague):

High heels make women fat...

:huh:

Is that because they lose their balance and fall headfirst into a vat of ice cream?

Hihi that might be it. Though right now the family sized pizza would be more to my taste :tongue:
  • kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    jamocha101 wrote: »

EDIT: I was also once told that corn is bad for you because the stalk causes it to "grow in the dark."

Mwahahahahahaha! Come to the dark side! *said in Darth Vader voice*
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    MomReborn: Try RICE - rest, ice, compression, elevation. In other words, lie on the couch with your feet on a pillow, ice bag (or frozen vegetables) around any swelling, and put on an ace bandage if you need to be on your feet and the ankles are hurting.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    MomReborn wrote: »
    Do you guys think a little ice and massage may help counter these fatal predictions/diagnoses, or nah? :D

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, but you'll be dead in a week.

Great. Now I have to hunt you down so I'm not proven wrong. Damn.

Yeah, there's no hope for you, @MomReborn - it was nice knowing you!
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    "Controlling calories doesn't work "

"Artificial sweetener will make you fat. You should use sugar instead."
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    1. "You have to eat breakfast!! You need to get your metabolism going for the day!" (I.E., make me ravenous all day so I eat all the foods and gain weight? Ummm, no...)
    2. "After 40 it's just so hard to lose weight!" (Well we're all different, and maybe it's a little harder, but counting calories worked for me 17 years ago, and it's working for me now at 43, soooo...I'm glad I ignored this one!)
    3. Them: "You're looking thin lately!"
    Me: "Thanks, I've been working at it."
    Them: "Lately I just look at food and gain weight!" (Well no, you're looking at it, and then eating too much of it, just like I was.)
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Heard at work today (from a male colleague):

High heels make women fat...

:huh:

Is that because they lose their balance and fall headfirst into a vat of ice cream?

For me I think it's more because the last time I wore them I fell down my stairs and then had to sit down for the rest of the day so that I could recover, thus limiting my calorie burn.
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    starvation mode
  • susannekb
    susannekb Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    WTKITTENS!

My favourite correction ever