I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your transformation! :)
  • bisonpitcher
    bisonpitcher Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    What made you decide when to stop your initial cut? Was it a certain weight or body fat%? I'm a long way from ending my cut, but I'm trying to hone in on a specific target to cut to and then start bulk/cut cycles. Not sure how far I should go.
  • Jezreel12
    Jezreel12 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Sorry Vismal, you're absolutely correct. I didn't think about what you mentioned and I completely agree that I should of waited until you addressed her first. I apologize for it ;)
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    What made you decide when to stop your initial cut? Was it a certain weight or body fat%? I'm a long way from ending my cut, but I'm trying to hone in on a specific target to cut to and then start bulk/cut cycles. Not sure how far I should go.
    You eventually hit a point where visually, losing more fat would look worse then adding some muscle. There is no exact way to tell and it will vary from person to person. If you look back to the picture in my original post to this thread, the middle picture highlights what I'm talking about. For me personally, any leaner than in picture number 2 would probably begin to look more scrawny than cut. Some people naturally carry more muscle mass than others or gain more during their "noob gains" period when they first start training. They may be able to get a bit leaner before a bulk. Basically, you'll know by how you look in the mirror when it's time to bulk and it's generally about 10-15lbs lighter than what you probably think it will be weight wise.

• eblyth00
    eblyth00 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hey vismal. I've just started back on my weight-loss journey and am 6ft weigh 300lbs. I've done a lot of research into I.F. I've never seen anyone mix the different types though, I'm on my 5th day and feeling so much energy no weakness nor trouble recovering after workouts, what I have been doing is a mix of 16/8, one meal a day, and 5:2. On Monday I eat only once 600 calories like on 5:2. Tuesday's following the low calorie day I do 16:8, then on Wednesday I eat just dinner. Thursday 600 cal, Friday 16:8 Saturday and Sunday one meal a day. All days that are not 600 calories are 1600 calories. Which average for the week 1350 per day. I know this is well under a 1000 cal deficit, but since I have so much to loose is it safe. I listen to my body and don't feel hungry anymore. I strength train 3 days per week and walk 3 miles on workout days and walk 5 miles on non workout days Sunday I rest.

So far this has been the easiest lifestyle change I have attempted saving all my calories for one meal let's me feast then my low cal days are easy knowing I will feast again soon. Lol
  • eblyth00
    Options
    Oh my bmr is calculated at 2639 cal. I don't eat back any exercise calories.
  • Sector725
    Sector725 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You look HOT! Way to go!!!
  • vismal
    Options
    eblyth00 wrote: »
    Hey vismal. I've just started back on my weight-loss journey and am 6ft weigh 300lbs. I've done a lot of research into I.F. I've never seen anyone mix the different types though, I'm on my 5th day and feeling so much energy no weakness nor trouble recovering after workouts, what I have been doing is a mix of 16/8, one meal a day, and 5:2. On Monday I eat only once 600 calories like on 5:2. Tuesday's following the low calorie day I do 16:8, then on Wednesday I eat just dinner. Thursday 600 cal, Friday 16:8 Saturday and Sunday one meal a day. All days that are not 600 calories are 1600 calories. Which average for the week 1350 per day. I know this is well under a 1000 cal deficit, but since I have so much to loose is it safe. I listen to my body and don't feel hungry anymore. I strength train 3 days per week and walk 3 miles on workout days and walk 5 miles on non workout days Sunday I rest.

So far this has been the easiest lifestyle change I have attempted saving all my calories for one meal let's me feast then my low cal days are easy knowing I will feast again soon. Lol
    1350 is WAY too low of a daily average of calories for someone your height and weight. You will be able to keep it up for a short while but you will likely impair your recovery, be prone to binging, generally not feel that great, or experience any of the countless other side effects from eating so little. Your breakdown of meals and when you eat is fine, that really is mostly just based on personal preference but 1350 is just way too few calories. I'd eat at least 2000. I will note accuracy of calorie counting plays a big role here. Someone who doesn't weigh their food on a food scale or eats out/meals they didn't prepare may well be eating 2000 calories even if their goal is only 1350. I wrote a guide on calorie counting here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/38825118
    If you are already doing most of the things lined out in the guide, I'd raise calories to at least 2000, if you aren't, you're very likely eating more then you think. In that case I'd still raise calories to at least 2000 but I'd start doing the things from the guide.

• designerdiscounts
    designerdiscounts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Bumping so I can read more later. Your transformation is inspiring!
  • eblyth00
    Options
    Alright thanks for the response vismal I will make the changes you recommended. I have the 2 low calorie day of 600 calories. The remaining 5 should I do 2000 calories or 2500 so the week averages 2000 per day.
  • designerdiscounts
    designerdiscounts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I would love some advice if you don't mind.

I'm female, 43 yrs old, 5'4", weight 145. Body fat % is probably high, I don't have much definition. I've been doing piyo classes 3 days a week and just started Nrol4w this week. I can only squat 30 lbs and curl about 12 each arm. I feel like I have another 10 lbs to lose but also want to retain/build as much muscle as possible. I'm eating about 1600 cals a day with 40% protein/30 fat/30 carbs. My question - the scale hasn't budged up or down for a month. Am I on the right track? Should I add something else or change calories or just be patient?
  • Flyingwarrior1966
    Flyingwarrior1966 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Reduce cal by 100-200.. add more cardio and mix up the types of cardio you have been doing. GreAt success so far, the final 10 is always the toughest but you will get there.. hang in and good luck
  • Jezreel12
    Jezreel12 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with creationscrown Vismal. You don't come across as a jerk at all and I was glad that when you corrected me when I was not thinking about what this post is all about I was not offended but glad you explained to me what this post purpose is. I'm with creationscrown that you have the right to be protective and clear of what this thread is all about because I myself seek out your advice here continually and re read from time to time everything you have said and say and I don't care about the opinions of others either. So don't let frustration set in and continue to do the amazing work you're doing for yourself and us here.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Thanks @vismal for sharing your story. There are a lot of similarities between our preferences (I really enjoy preparing and eating my own food above all else) and our journey so far, but I'm at the stage of beginning to lift weights (again) after my weight loss. There is a lot of great advice and encouragement here and this thread is a great resource for this community. Your patience with anyone that steps into this thread offering advice is admirable. You want to see someone being a jerk, the responses I'd write if I were in your shoes would probably get me a pink slip from the community ;)

Keep up the good work, you are an inspiration to many of us.
  • Fivefootcaloriecounter
    Options
    Can I still loose weight if I eat at my maintenance but do body pump 3 calories week and not eat back the exercise calories"
  • vismal
    Options
    Can I still loose weight if I eat at my maintenance but do body pump 3 calories week and not eat back the exercise calories"
    Yes, but it would be pretty slow. I'm not sure how long a bodypump session is or how many calories one can burn (whatever their marketing/website tells you is probably an exaggeration) but it's probably not a ton in the context of a full week. The vast majority of people are unable to lose weight effectively through exercise alone. Some endurance athletes can but they are the exception. The other issue is eating maintenance. It sounds simple but it requires a very accurate degree of calorie counting as it leaves no "wiggle room". With a calorie deficit + exercise you can think of the exercise calories as your wiggle room for logging inaccuracies, incorrect nutritional information, free meals, estimating calories from eating out, etc. With only exercise to rely on you must make sure most everything you eat is prepared by you, weighed on a scale, and has accurate information. Free/cheat meals will be difficult and eating out will also be hard. If your goal is not extreme and you aren't in any real rush to achieve it you can attempt what you are asking about and see how it goes. If you find weight loss is too slow or doesn't occur, I'd subtract some calories in addition to the workouts.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Hi Vismal. Wondering if you saw my question earlier about fast(er) weight loss? I included a link and wanted your thoughts. Apologies if I missed it?!?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!