WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2017

Replies

• tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Fast skim of your posts today -

So glad Olivia is better. How is little Reid doing?

Congrats to all you losers! I lost the .6 pound I had gained the week before. yoyoyo

Welcome to all the new faces. I hope you stay around.

TNToni
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    <3o:)
  • pyanko7
    pyanko7 Posts: 153 Member
    Lenora - I fought with my son every day for the last six months he was in high school because I was determined he would graduate from grade twelve. We had lots of words and hard days back then, but in the long run, I am so glad I forced him to now understands that why I did it. He has a great job, with good pay and knows it would never have been possible if he had not finished high school.

Sarah in Ontario - AGM successful Yay! It is over for another year!!. Just need to finish up notes tomorrow.
    Thanks
  • pyanko7
    pyanko7 Posts: 153 Member
    Hugs to all

Paula Y
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Morning from Mesougra, Morocco, didn't sleep well but will be in car driving all day through mountains after that we head to two days in Marrakech. Can't seem to post any pics here but will send a blast when I get home Sunday! DH and I are very happy together on this trip, we are in sync on this vacation, which isn't always the case.

Eating real food, but can't say no to fresh bread or butter, walking it off so it evens it in the end.

NYKAREN
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    B)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Morning Ladies~
    Olivia looks so content sleeping on mom with her pacifier.. so glad she is doing better..
    Working 9-6 today.. have laundry in the washer..
    nothing interesting to say..
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Driving 80 miles South on 75 today in the rain! Hopefully, if things go as planned, it will be the last time I have to do this for a long while. Crossing fingers and saying prayers.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,505 Member
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Miracles do happen Karen!!! :*
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    (((Olivia)))
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,320 Member
    Here's the low carb muffin recipe. Sorry it's so long but thought it might be helpful to show you how I "tweak" it. I generally have one per day - 1/2 in the morning, 1/2 later in the day when I'm hungry.

LOW CARB FLAXSEED/ALMOND MEAL MUFFIN

Basic Recipe:
    • 3 tablespoons low carb flours such as almond, ground flaxseed meal (see below).
    • ½ tsp oil (butter, coconut oil, nut butter, etc. can use less or leave out.)
    • ½ tsp aluminum free baking powder (I can use less)
    • ½ tsp cinnamon, if desired (can use more or less)
    • ½ tsp sugar, stevia, honey, maple syrup or other sweetener. (can leave out.)
    • 1 egg
    • 1 tsp water, milk or other liquid if needed-if using a smaller egg you might need more.

Stir together in a small bowl - I incorporate the fat with the dry ingredients first with a fork like making pie crust then add the sweetener and egg. Then I add a little milk or water if needed to make it like a pancake batter and stir that together well with small spatula.

This little muffin can be made in a large coffee mug. I prefer to mix it up in a mug or small bowl and pour the batter into a small greased 1 ½ c. Pyrex baking dish, so it will end up about 4 to 5 inches in diameter and 1 inch high.

Cook in microwave approx. 1 minute on high, just enough to make sure the top of the muffin isn’t tacky. I immediately turn it out on a little cooling rack for few minutes. Store in a plastic bag, refrigerate.

Low carb baking mix:
    • 2 parts almond meal
    • 2 parts ground flax seed meal
    • 1 part coconut flour
    • 1 part flaked coconut

I usually make up a few cups of the mix at a time. I’ve seen recipes using ½ almond meal, ½ ground flax seed meal or just all flaxseed meal.

If you are using coconut flour, use less than 1/3 of it in the recipe otherwise it will make the muffin pretty dense and heavy (unless you like it like that!) Experiment.

Estimated MFP Recipe Builder nutrition value for 1 muffin: 204 calories, 14 gm fat, 11 gm carbs, 6 gm fiber, 3 gm sugar, 11 gm protein

Of course, you can leave out the added butter/oil and the sweetener to cut the fat and carbs back a bit. Enjoy!

Lanette
    SW WA State

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,320 Member
    Comment on the Low Carb muffin:

The estimated nutrition value will vary according to how big your tablespoons are (I use a tablespoon serving spoon, not measuring spoon) and other factors of course. Even if I've been extra generous with the mix, I take comfort that I'm no longer eating these snacks below.

----Little Debbie Cinnamon Streusel Cake – 1 cake: 180 calories, 7 gm fat, 26 gm carbs, 0 fiber, 15 gm sugar, 2 gm protein (I could eat 2 or 3 of these in one sitting)

----Snack size Reeses Peanut Butter Cups (1 serving = 3 small cups – 27 gm): 240 calories, 14 gm fat, 27 gm carbs, 2 gm fiber, 24 gm sugars, 5 gm protein (hey, these are small.... 1 or 2 more won't hurt.)

I'm cutting back on sugar and carbs, not fat. Plus eating real food, not preservatives and ingredients I can't pronounce. I've never been tempted to binge on this low carb muffin. Not once.

A few weeks ago I left out the sweetener and cinnamon and instead added a big tablespoon of shredded parm/romano/asiago cheese. Made a really yummy savory one for a change.

Lanette

• SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Mary: Thanks! I've read a lot on your Keto thread - great info that you have on there

Sue: Glad you enjoyed the quote

Karen in Virginia: So glad that Olivia is improving so nicely. It's so great to see Mom holding her <3

Tere: Here's to being a fit sexy grandma!

Lanette: I'd like that low carb muffin recipe (Later) Thanks for the recipe - I appreciate all the tips you provided with it :)

Re: I'm excited with you. Gratz on the success with the scale :)

Cindi, Edo: Welcome to the family

Katiebug: 25 years is a long time - WTG! Good luck with the ortho doc

Marni: Love the ghost hug :)

Have been using my Instant Pot a lot. I made cabbage soup in 15 minutes - of course that doesn't count prep time but it is really tasty and only about 50 cal per cup. The pressure cooker seems to intensify flavour and both my boys are raving about the tenderness and taste. Does anyone know how to convert standard recipes into use for electric pressure cookers? I have a few recipes I'd like to re-purpose to cook in the pressure cooker.

Have a happy successful day my friends,

Carey - Northern Alberta
    "The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James