Keto 3 Week Challenge

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    OK, I found this information on a re-feed from MFP.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1018903/keto-refeeds-clean-or-dirty

You might want to check it out.
  • Kilika735
    Kilika735 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Awesome link Mary! :) I never thought about its as a re-feed! This is a good tool to keep in mind for those occasions it can be tough to stick to keto.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    I found this information as well.

Re-Feeding

One should also incorporate re-feeds into their diet plan. Re-feeds help boost a hormone called leptin, which is the mother of all fat burning hormones. As one diets, leptin levels drop in an attempt by the body to spare body fat. Periodic, proper re-feeding can raise leptin levels and help one continue to burn fat an optimum rate. A person who is lean will need to re-feed more frequently than someone who has a higher body fat percentage. For those who are below 10%, it is probably a wise idea to incorporate re-feeds two times per week.

For those people who are in the 10-15% range, re-feeding every 6-12 days will probably be adequate, for those who are above 15%, re-feeding will probably not need to be done more than once every week to two weeks. Obviously as one loses body fat they will need to re-feed more often.

Re-Feed Days Should Be Planned As Follows:

Re-feed on the day you work your worst body part(s) as re-feeding will not only raise leptin, but be quite anabolic.
    Keep fat as low as possible during re-feed days as high insulin levels will increase dietary fat transport into adipose tissue. In addition dietary fat has little to no impact on leptin levels.
    Reduce protein intake to 1 g/lb bodyweight.
    Consume as little fructose as possible as fructose does not have an impact on leptin levels.
    Increase calories to maintenance level (or above if you are an ectomorph) and increase carbs by at least 50-100% (endo’s stay on the low end, while ecto’s should stay on the high end) over normal diet levels.

Mary
  • breannemarie1993
    breannemarie1993 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm on keto, prepare for misery and tears the first week or two but push through it!!!!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    I'm on keto, prepare for misery and tears the first week or two but push through it!!!!

Hi! Glad to have your experience! Are you referring to the re-feed?

Mary
  • Kilika735
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    I found this information as well.

Re-Feeding

One should also incorporate re-feeds into their diet plan. Re-feeds help boost a hormone called leptin, which is the mother of all fat burning hormones. As one diets, leptin levels drop in an attempt by the body to spare body fat. Periodic, proper re-feeding can raise leptin levels and help one continue to burn fat an optimum rate. A person who is lean will need to re-feed more frequently than someone who has a higher body fat percentage. For those who are below 10%, it is probably a wise idea to incorporate re-feeds two times per week.

For those people who are in the 10-15% range, re-feeding every 6-12 days will probably be adequate, for those who are above 15%, re-feeding will probably not need to be done more than once every week to two weeks. Obviously as one loses body fat they will need to re-feed more often.

Re-Feed Days Should Be Planned As Follows:

Re-feed on the day you work your worst body part(s) as re-feeding will not only raise leptin, but be quite anabolic.
    Keep fat as low as possible during re-feed days as high insulin levels will increase dietary fat transport into adipose tissue. In addition dietary fat has little to no impact on leptin levels.
    Reduce protein intake to 1 g/lb bodyweight.
    Consume as little fructose as possible as fructose does not have an impact on leptin levels.
    Increase calories to maintenance level (or above if you are an ectomorph) and increase carbs by at least 50-100% (endo’s stay on the low end, while ecto’s should stay on the high end) over normal diet levels.

Mary

This is great information, thank you for doing some research! I will definitely keep those tips about the re-feed fat and carb levels in mind.
  • ketosteph
    ketosteph Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Gonna go keto too. Yay. Gotta lose 40 to 45 pounds.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    ketosteph wrote: »
    Gonna go keto too. Yay. Gotta lose 40 to 45 pounds.

Fantastic! You will be very pleased with your results!
  • Bobzilla54
    Bobzilla54 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    For those of you thinking about re-feeds, have a look at this link. http://highsteaks.com/f/index.php?topic=111.0

Essentially, entering/exiting keto can be a trigger for gout if done frequently.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Bobzilla54 wrote: »
    For those of you thinking about re-feeds, have a look at this link. http://highsteaks.com/f/index.php?topic=111.0

Essentially, entering/exiting keto can be a trigger for gout if done frequently.

Very interesting. What I understand is that they suggest staying in ketosis for a minimum of 6-8 weeks to let your body adapt to the rise in Uric acid levels to avoid gout and kidney stones. After that your body should rid itself of the excess uric acid. Avoid fructose on a refeed it can cause higher levels of uric acid.

The article I highlighted also states to consume as little fructose as possible because, so as not to impact the leptin levels.

Thanks for the information. I now feel compelled to stay in ketosis for 8 weeks to ensure that my body adapts normally.

Mary
  • fanncy0626
    edited February 2017
    Options
    So I have been researching all morning and found ways to reduce uric acid naturally. I already do one of these things daily. Raw apple cider vinegar! Not only does it restore the alkaline balance in your stomach it also feeds healthy bacteria which in turn kills off unhealthy bacteria.

http://www.top10homeremedies.com/how-to/control-uric-acid-levels.html

It might be a good idea to incorporate some of these ideas into your daily Keto diet. That way you can reduce the risk of side effects from uric acid.

Mary
  • Kilika735
    Options
    I swear by the ACV! It has helped my joint inflammation. And I love sour things like lemons and limes!
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Do you ladies do the ACV as a shot or mix with something ?
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    Do you ladies do the ACV as a shot or mix with something ?

I will have to research what that is. I will tell you then LOL
  • Kilika735
    Options
    It's apple cider vinegar. I mix mine with a glass of water. Sometimes I will take a swig of it. Make sure you get the unfiltered and unpasteurized. Bragg's is the most well known brand, but there are others.
  • fanncy0626
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Kilika735 wrote: »
    It's apple cider vinegar. I mix mine with a glass of water. Sometimes I will take a swig of it. Make sure you get the unfiltered and unpasteurized. Bragg's is the most well known brand, but there are others.

Yeah, that is what I take, one to two times a day. I just didn't put the initials to the words :)
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Dr Jason Fung, suggests taking ACV before every meal if diabetic, to help lower Blood Sugar. I haven't tried this yet, but wanted to see why and how you guys implement into your day. Before keto, I used a ACV, lemon, honey, cinnamon recipe for colds and I enjoyed it. I would have to modify that now bc of the honey, but on the other hand, I have not had a cold since going Keto approx 18 months ago, so That is Good Thing !!
  • Kilika735
    Options
    pwrfl1 I use that same recipe for colds as well! Works wonders :smile:

fanncy0626 People would use the abbreviation and I had no idea what they were talking about either! :D

Not sure if anyone here has checked out http://www.marksdailyapple.com/ but on his blog there are multiple stories of how people eliminating wheat haven't been sick and even had previous mucous and respiratory ailments resolved. Very good site for recipes and ideas. I know it's technically primal/paleo, but you can take ideas and adapt them to keto.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    pwrfl1- I never tried it for colds. I just take 1 tablespoon of a ACV with 4oz water. I take it before or after a meal usually twice a day.

Kilika - thanks for the link! It's nice to have lots of recipes. I didn't realize how bad wheat was for people.

I'm on the road for a few days so will be MIA most of the time. We are almost finished with the three week challenge. It sounds like we should really go eight weeks according to some of the information that people have been sharing. That is my plan because I do know that I still had excess uric acid. If you are going to go off of keto at this point though I would suggest re-introducing carbs slowly. Everybody's body is different as to how many carbs Will kick you out of ketosis. It might be interesting to experiment with this. Any insight from our experts on here?

Mary
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Agree with adding carbs slowly if not planning to stay Keto. Try keeping everything relatively the same , but add a starchy veggie to your biggest meal. If your meal is going to include a bread/ pasta, do not add additional fat to this meal. IMO, Best way to add carbs back is starchy veggies first, rice type, second, fruit third....

Some may want to stay LCHF, but just not at Keto Level. Your carbs would stay moderate but more around 50-100g(if you can go that high and still lose). You will have to play around with this number to find your sweet spot.

If Adding full on sweets back right away, you may find yourself holding onto lots of water.