WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    Charleen- congratulations on your weight-loss! I love your closet organizer!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    CHARLEEN ~ Great job on the shelving! :)

HAIR ~ My mom and grandmother kept their hair dyed dark brown into their 90's. When mom passed away in December, she still had her dark hair and everyone said she looked about 20 yrs younger. I had dark brown hair and dyed it that color until the past few years. Now, I color it a light ash blonde and it blends in with the white so I don't have to color it so often.

KATLA ~ I hope you get to work with the horse today. It's a good thing to be careful not to get hurt until your husband is able to drive.

Beautiful, beautiful weather here and that's very strange....Spring time in February! :)
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday to all!

Dad didn't make it in time to see his brother. They were driving from Houston to New Orleans, and they got almost to Beaumont before they got the call that Uncle had passed. I hope he found peace at the end. We'll all need to show Dad a little extra TLC, as he is taking it very hard. Uncle was his only sibling, and they were pretty close.

Re - Ay ay ay, glad you survived the layoff but not so glad you'll be doing the work of three now! That seems to be the way modern management copes - just keep pushing fewer and fewer people to do more and more work.

Ginger - The only problem with the multiple glasses is that I never seem to have the right pair on my face at any given time. I also have a pair optimized for computer distance, and I'm forever walking off with them on and then wondering why I can't see.

Pip - The knees are looking much better!

Becca - Your African violet is beautiful. My mom used to grow them, but I never had the knack. They are pretty finicky.

Joyce - Oh, those caramel Cadbury eggs get me every time! I'll have to keep my eyes closed at the grocery store until after Easter.

Rita - So glad you have the RV to look forward to!

thi3 - Welcome!

Charleen - Your closet organizer looks great. Nice work!

Time to get back to work. I'm not sure what the next few days will look like. They are having services in New Orleans and Houston, and I assume they'll want to get the New Orleans part done before Fat Tuesday and all the craziness that goes with it. So there'll be a trip to Houston but I don't know when.

Yesterday my sweet Philip took my motorcycle out to get inspected because it was his day off and I had a full day of work. (Both our bikes are the same year and model.) At some point the brakes started acting up, and as he was babying the bike back home they locked up completely and he was dumped off. He fell in the exact same way I did in July, only not nearly as hard. So he's got a sore knee today - apparently we don't like left knees at our house. I've smashed mine twice. What a trooper though... he got the brakes fixed, got back on, and went ahead with getting the inspection before he'd come home and let me take care of him.

-Yvonne in TX
  • jolenec1
    jolenec1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Ok so has anyone else had this happen? I am working out at the gym and some at home on my off days. The day after I work out, I feel horrible. But the next after that day I am better. Plus, I am watching my calories and logging my food, but this week I have been really hungry...to the point that my stomach is growling and grumbling (which makes for interesting looks at me during meetings, lol). My insurance provides a health coach, and she says I need to increase my calories up to 2000 for the day for a while. I don't think I need to do that. I am wondering if my body is just rebelling against the changes I have made in the last few weeks.

Any opinions??
  • jolenec1
    edited February 2017
    Options
    8suc39le1uaw.png
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    :)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,342 Member
    Options
    Did 20 min on the elliptical (I like the ellipticals down here), 45 min HIIT class (to me, this is a good class), then 15 min of a Power Core class. That was an interesting class, it wasn’t your plain old crunches. I do wish there had been back work. The plan for tomorrow is to take a yoga class and then a step class. I’m looking forward to this step class.

After exercising (I cut it short and didn’t go to the yoga class, which is good since it seemed to be pretty crowded) Vince and I went to Ace Hdwr to get me a new key made for the condo and him a new house key. Then we went to one thrift store, looking for end tables for the condo bedrooms but didn’t find any. I did find a shirt that I liked. When I went to pay for it, it’s a BOGO so I went back and got this sweater. Didn’t even try that on. To be honest, I really don’t like it but will donate it to our Salvation Army. Then we went to a ASPCA thrift store. I found a few exercise DVD’s. If Vince hadn’t been with me, I probably wouldn’t have gotten them. But he felt that anything we got there was helping the animals so I got them. Weren’t that expensive. Something different for me to do. I need more DVD’s like I need a hole in the head.

Sarah – is your thumb discolored (like blue)

Ginger – have a good time. I really enjoy coming down to the condo.

Speaking of the condo, Vince was saying that today while he was having breakfast, this stream of water came down. He thought it was raining. Seems that the condo above us doesn’t have glass on their porch, only screens. It rained so much yesterday that they were just pushing the water off the porch. However, I think I told you about the mold that was growing over our door since the hurricane. Well, it’s worse than when my girlfriend was here in Dec. Seems that the people above us don’t have a screen door (it’s a rental so the owner isn’t going to spend any extra money if they can help it). There’s evidently a crack in the concrete going into the house and the water is getting into the crack coming into our condo. The president of the condo assoc said that he was going to build up the area in front of their door. We want to wait before repairing this to be sure that what he does does fix the problem.

DJ – I do that all the time, buy shoes cheaper and then return the more expensive ones. Good for you!

Karen in VA – prayers for Olivia

Re – so gad you didn’t get laid off but sorry about the added workload.

Drkatie – the only way I can do pull ups is to do them assisted. Congrats! I can’t even picture the machine you used.

Lanette – a while ago the MD prescribed Voltaren for me for an achilles tendon. Don’t really know how much it helped. Sure hope it helps you

Queene – good luck to you tomorrow

Welcome everyone new!

Charleen – love the closet

Yvonne – so sorry your dad didn’t get to see his brother before he passed.

I’m thinking that I’ll try using Vince’s noise blocking headphones at the Y and see how they work. I can’t hear the audiobooks on my tablet it’s so noisy. The Y seems to think everyone wants music, but not everyone has the same taste. Most people use their own ipods

Michele from NC in FL who is going out to dinner with friends tonight
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,699 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    taking Chester to the vet in a bit... went and took Taliah to Orthodontist , they did the whole thing...panograph xray, photo's ,and molds of teeth... she is on state insurance so dont know how much they will cover for braces.. we shall see.. but what they want to do, one of her front baby teeth is not coming out, and what the Dr said is they will put the top braces on.. then once they are on.. she will go to the oral surgeon and have the baby tooth taken out and open up gum to make sure the adult tooth to come in....
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Jolene- How many calories are you allowing yourself each day? You may need to raise your protein intake. Your body will use up a lot more when you have a rigorous or even consistent exercise routine. On my harder work out days, I give myself one or two more helpings of protein, (usually as snacks between meals). Then on my days with just walking or normal/rest days, I don't include the extra protein. Hope this helps!
    48 year old new girl! - I have no problem with you joining us. I went through menopause early and found I have much more in common with these ladies than many women my own age. I just turned 50 in November, but found this group when I was 49. They very kindly let me join in! So much wisdom and inspiration!
    KJ (Kelly)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,542 Member
    Options
    M
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hey my sweet ladies!
    Hair conversation: I have had my "streak of grey" since my 40's and its what makes me, ME. I tell the salon ladies, "Heck, people pay for this $h1t ya know?". Yes it probably does make me look older, but I see the matriarch's in my family when I look in the mirror. That gives me comfort. I will post pics of my mom and grandmother so you can see. I agree with the person that stated its strange to see old faces with young hair. There comes a point when I just gave in to whatever happens, I would embrace it. So I am getting the smile lines, the grin lines, the neck pouch (what am I a pelican??). I do admire people that have gorgeous long brown hair, but I also know it comes with a price. Time fixing, retouching etc. It's nice to not worry or think about that.

My face is rebelling from the coconut soap! My left side is fine, but my right side has 5+ blemish spots that I'm having a hard time healing. I told myself I would give myself a month so I will soldier on! I also am a cuticle biter so trying to just stop habits of mine is a stress on its own! I have the big bottle of hospital hand sanitizer I nicked from one of his various hospital stays, so using that to keep my hands out of my mouth. OK that sounds awful... I mostly bite my nails at night when I am pondering the worlds problems and not sleeping... Ha!

Paid our tax lady today. $125 processing fee to get $300 from one to pay the other we owe. Such is life!

Healing prayers to Olivia.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Heck it cut off... Well hugs to everyone today!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    :) I would prefer walking one dog at a time because they are often so opinionated about where they want to walk. I walked Brandy and Sasha separately for years. When Brandy died, both Sasha and I seemed to find comfort in walking so we increased our walking time together until it was almost two hours in the morning and almost an hour in the afternoon. When we got Bess, I couldn't figure out a way to let Sasha have her long walks and still have time for Bess to have a long walk, too, so I tried walking them together and it seems to work. In the morning I walk with a friend and she holds Bessie's leash but we still have to deal with differing dog opinions about where to walk and have frequent leash entanglements to deal with. Walking with my dogs is a great joy for me.

When Jake took Sasha to the vet to ask about her shaking back leg, the vet did a blood test. The blood test showed no problems so now she's scheduled for an x-ray tomorrow morning. Since she has to be sedated, neither dog will get breakfast and I will feel like the meanest mom.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options

Charleen in Colorado (Wet, snowy and windy. We really need the moisture)

When my daughter said it was snowing today, I said no way. It's 88 here. Gonna break the record high sat in 1916. Wow. It is pretty windy though.

Janetr okc
  • jolenec1
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I am using 1600 calories as my baseline for now. I figured I would start there and when I stopped losing weight I would decrease. I had planned on a 5 pound loss for this month. So far I have lost 8 pounds in 3 weeks.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,542 Member
    Options
    Q
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Queene and others thinking of ditching the hair dye..... about a year ago I stopped with the hair dye- foils. Yes, I think having some color did make me look a bit younger, but....

I got my first grey hair at age 18 and by age 35 was mostly grey. Now I'm about 90% grey, only a few dark strands in the back. I colored for over 25 years and I had to do it quite often because of my dark hair I would get the appearance of a skunk after only 3 weeks. My hair seems to grow fast I guess. I was constantly coloring my hair and I just got tired of putting chemicals on my head. I stopped coloring when my hair dresser suggested I give it a try. She told me that I would find it "freeing." How right she was. It's been over a year since I stopped coloring and after getting through the initial shock of being all silver and enduring the comments of a few people who were tacky I wouldn't go back for anything.

Marcelyn !