What food's calories have you been shocked by?

Options

Replies

• sunshynegurl
    sunshynegurl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hershey's Sugar Free Chocolate (fun-sizes). 160ca/5. And these things are little.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    What shocked me was the calorie content of prepared meals in almost any restaurant, fast or slow. I'm too frugal to eat out much but if I did I'd be at least super obese, if not morbidly, if I ate the same things I prepare at home. Of course at home my servings aren't as large. But like a couple of posters said above - who would have thought!?
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Not that it is a big surprise but I used to love them - Shamrock Shake - McDonalds
    820 calories
    200 calories from fat
    22 grams of fat
    14 grams of saturated fat
    1 gram of trans fat
    103 grams of total carbohydrates
    90 milligrams of cholesterol
    115 grams of sugar
    280 milligrams of sodium
  • CranstonJ2016
    CranstonJ2016 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Nuts and carrots. I was shocked that one adult carrot was over 100 calories, this is why I weigh everything and buy baby carrots (I'm a quantity eater)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Kroger's crunchy shrimp roll sushi- 500 calories per role, making a total of 6,000 in a package of 12.

I don't think that's right - a typical sushi roll is 8-10 pieces of sushi...so a package of 12 is probably 6-700 cals
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I was entering rice into my nutrition diary and I was shocked that 1 cup of cooked rice is about 400+ calories!

Wow
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal. 150 1 serving and By the time I put what I'd want in it, it's not worth it (nuts, dried cranberries, half banana, milk, chia seeds, etc)
    When I do eat it, I use almond milk (low cal) 1 serving of walnuts, truvia and cinnamon. Even then it adds up. So I hardly eat it.
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I tend to over-estimate calories so I'm usually only pleasantly surprised by how *few* calories are in something. Sour cream, for example? I dump that stuff on my baked potatoes, now (though I'm not super concerned about fat content). And sugar! I mean, large amounts for baking are one thing but a teaspoon on some cereal is negligible, I used to avoid it but now I don't care.

I don't eat gluten-free (don't even get me started) but work at a restaurant where we sometimes serve gluten-free deserts and breads. They are all very tasty but all extremely high in calories. Like a piece of cake which would sit around 350 calls with regular flour, is more like like 600-700 calories when gluten free. Paleo recipes as well. I made a batch of paleo brownies for a friend and they were HUGELY high in calories. Like 600 calories for a tiny slice that would have been maybe 150-200 normally.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Kroger's crunchy shrimp roll sushi- 500 calories per role, making a total of 6,000 in a package of 12.

I don't think that's right - a typical sushi roll is 8-10 pieces of sushi...so a package of 12 is probably 6-700 cals

It's probably all the oil and whatever else that is in the "crunchy" topping portion of the crunchy roll. And those specialty ones sometimes have a mayo-like & sugary sauce in them.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Chick-fil-A sauce at 140 calories per tiny little packet
  • MeisjeandDanny
    MeisjeandDanny Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love Cookie Times, had a quick squizz over the nutritional info today and there's over 400 cals in one! Definitely going to be a once in a blue moon treat now haha ;)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    450 calories in bagels. I always assumed 250ish was the norm (as it's what packaged bagels often are). Then I weighed one from the local bagel shop once and used a USDA entry. Yikes.
  • 1ocean1girl
    1ocean1girl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    This tamarindo mexican candy... it's on a spoon (not a huge spoon but small one - 0.35g); it's 120 cal!!!
  • the_great_unknown
    the_great_unknown Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The salmon with miso sauce entree at Cheesecake Factory. I didn't eat the whole thing, thank goodness, but as I recall, it was over 2,600 calories.
  • TooTatToTrot
    TooTatToTrot Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My favorite Broccoli and Cheese rice is only 200 calories for half of the box. The box makes a ton of rice, and it's only two servings in the box. I weighed it out, got my calculations correct, and was looking like that meme of that lady with all the math symbols around her head. I still lose weight-it must be right.

Also, fruit roll ups and rice cakes were my "treat" of choice for my lunches when I was younger. They're both only 50 calories or less depending on the brand, for each treat. I crave a sweet treat once a week out of the month, and usually buy a pack of gummy worms and waste 400-500 calories for them. But no, not anymore. I will be fruit rolling it up. I may or may not have went to the store and got 2 boxes of fruit by the foot and 2 boxes of those tattoo fruit rollups. Also, I have 4 bags of rice cakes at home. No shame.
    0831227 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    rosy003 wrote: »
    Strawberries! I just entered 1 c fresh strawberries and it is 200 calories!

I think there may be a mistake in that loggin, 1 cup of strawberries is around 45-55 calories. :smile: Good news for you!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    rosy003 wrote: »
    Strawberries! I just entered 1 c fresh strawberries and it is 200 calories!

That is because there are nowhere near that many calories in strawberries. It is closer to 50 calories (or 200ish kilojoules which is where the confusion may lay).

https://www.verywell.com/strawberries-carb-counts-and-health-benefits-1087572
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Nuts and carrots. I was shocked that one adult carrot was over 100 calories, this is why I weigh everything and buy baby carrots (I'm a quantity eater)

A large carrot is only about 31 calories. It is over 100 kilojoules though which sounds like confusion between the two units of energy.
    http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-fresh-or-dried-vegetables-carrots-raw_f-ZmlkPTYzMzI0.html
    0831227 Posts: 84 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

A large carrot is only about 31 calories. It is over 100 kilojoules though which sounds like confusion between the two units of energy.
    http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-fresh-or-dried-vegetables-carrots-raw_f-ZmlkPTYzMzI0.html

I feel like by the end of the day, alot of people are going to deem you their heroine on this thread :wink:
  • ShareeEmma
    ShareeEmma Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Definitely peanut butter!

It's odd you say that I got a 100% peanut, organic peanut butter which is not that bad in cals... unless the barcode is not right when I scan it. I have an open diary I think it was Thursday night I 'accidentally' ate four tablespoons of... if it's wrong this could be why I'm not loosing anything