What food's calories have you been shocked by?

Options

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Safsaf711 wrote: »
    LaurenAOK wrote: »
    Definitely peanut butter!

This, and it makes me so sad, because peanut butter is delicious and healthy. But I can only allow myself a little each day or I'll ruin my calorie goals :(

For those of you who absolutely love peanut butter but cringe when you look at the calories/fat, I've been trying this brand called PB2 (I got mine online but Walmart and Sam's club sell it too). It's a powdered form of peanut butter where a lot of the fat is removed. You just add water and it becomes creamy like actual peanut butter. It's not as intense of a peanut butter but hey, I don't feel guilty eating it anymore. 85% less fat 45 calories per 2 tbsp. Another plus is that you can add it to smoothies to make it creamier! (It's comes in chocolate peanut butter too-my favorite!)

lol everyone knows about pb2
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    rosy003 wrote: »
    Strawberries! I just entered 1 c fresh strawberries and it is 200 calories!

I am pretty sure that is an incorrect calorie amount for 1 c of fresh strawberries, more like 60. Berries are pretty low calorie unless you put sugar on them.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    ironhajee wrote: »
    I was entering rice into my nutrition diary and I was shocked that 1 cup of cooked rice is about 400+ calories!

Wow

I'm not sure that's correct. 1/4 cup of DRIED rice is 150 calories, but that will expand to about 3/4 cup when cooked. So a cup of cooked rice should only be about 215.

Can anyone else confirm?
  • divinehipster69
    divinehipster69 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Restaurant food. Even if it's really fancy there's like 90% more oil added to everything than what I would ever cook with.
  • nichell88
    nichell88 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Coffee! I used to drink a caramel swirl coffee daily, then I realized how many calories it was. I was pretty shocked
  • laceyslabaugh
    laceyslabaugh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Banana's ... I used to eat one every day ... not now!
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I am back logging again after losing focus for a couple of years. This time I have realised that there is a difference with food being healthy and food being low calorie.

I love nuts as a snack, but it has taken 2 months to separate "healthy" from "low calorie"
  • Boland_D
    Boland_D Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Any nut butter, avocado and alcohol.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I'm not really shocked by anything anymore, but when I first starting logging/weighing/etc. I was seriously surprised by:

ramen
    bananas
    hummus
    granola
    peanut butter
  • Koshayoga
    Koshayoga Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    rosy003 wrote: »
    Strawberries! I just entered 1 c fresh strawberries and it is 200 calories!

That sounds innacurate
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Lasagna, had to cut my desired portion size down by a quarter
  • pjsprov910
    pjsprov910 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Specialty salads in most restaurants. I had a lunch portion sized BBQ Chicken Chopped Salad at Champps today, but had seared Ahi Tuna instead of the chicken on the salad. Almost 700 calories!!! Didn't realize they put the dressing on the salad before they serve it (didn't think to ask, duh!) so it came with the typical amount of salad dressing, I could have saved a lot of the calories if I'd just thought to ask them to bring the dressing on the side!
  • Wan718
    Wan718 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    cornbread. I used to devour them thinking it is healthy because it is corn! Until I looked at the label one day and I was literally shocked. They are pretty much the same calorie as chips. The thing is I can't eat more than 2 servings of chips before I get sick of the greasy taste but I can have a pound of corn bread before I even realize it.
  • Demenseotf
    Demenseotf Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Mayonnaise *cries* Light just isn't the same! Miracle whip is a little better...
    The Kraft classic mayo is only 35 Calories a serving, at lest here in Australia.

Salmon was a surprise for me. 200g is ~420 Calories with 60% of that from fat.
  • STC02
    STC02 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Surprised at how low cal bacon is.
    Also how many cals are in wholewheat pasta!! 250 cal for 75g serving???
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Corn Chips!
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Croutons. Now I know croutons are not healthy in any manner but occasionally I'll indulge and add them to a salad. I had never weighed them until recently. I tared my scale after adding all other ingredients, put on what I thought would be 2 servings, looked down and it was 11 servings worth.
    1 serving of croutons = 7g
    1 crouton = 7g
    1 serving of croutons = 1 freakin crouton!
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    STC02 wrote: »
    Surprised at how low cal bacon is.
    Also how many cals are in wholewheat pasta!! 250 cal for 75g serving???

Serious? Bacon low calorie? How??!!

Two slices of Oscar Mayer Center Cut Bacon is only ~60 calories. Not bad, considering that it's BACON (yum!) :D. I'll take the 30 cal hit and cook some veggies with a diced slice of bacon instead of oil or butter most of the time.

• CranstonJ2016
    CranstonJ2016 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    Lasagna, had to cut my desired portion size down by a quarter

I dont make lasgna anymore because I don't trust myself around it's delishousness...