WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2017

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    ∆∆∆∆∆∆

I have done that before. Its frustrating. I was like where IS everyone?!!!

Um we're already on page two lol we're HERE!!
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Janetr~ Yep all the cool kids are here too.
    Becca

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,340 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Happy March!

Did a “quick skim” and will reread later on tonight.

Barbie, thank you for starting this month’s thread. Glad Jake is doing well!

Charleen, way to go on your NSV! What a great feeling to be able to stop a med – a great reward for a job well done! And what a touching story about the old gentleman and his vet bill – there are very few thrills that equal being a “guardian angel” like that. Thank you for posting it and I’ll be on the lookout for ways to do the same.

Heather, photos of DDIL and grandchildren are very nice! Hope the realtor got the pix straightened out for your buyer and the ruffled feathers are soothed-or the NEW realtor, if it came to that, is more diligent. All this real estate stuff brings emotions to a head quite easily. Lots of money flying around, joy and worry at the same time.

I love reading everyone’s goals! Lots of good ideas here!!

Here are mine for this month:
    • Keep doing the low-sugar thing, meaning try to keep overall carbs under 100 gm per day and sugars under 50 – MFP includes the sugar in milk, fruit, veggies, etc. And “added sugars” under 10 – this is from processed foods, the bit of maple syrup in my muffin, etc. those are the bad actors I'm really chopping.
    • Aim for 30 gm of fiber per day.
    • Keep total calories in the 1400 to 1700 range (MFP gave me 1470 but some days I just need a few more to function. Good news is that I no longer have the urge to binge or eat when I’m not hungry.)
    • Meet with a trainer at the gym and actually get a “plan” to get some strength training. It’s free with my membership and I just haven’t done it yet. And then actually “work the plan” at least once a week. Not sure my work schedule yet so I’m staying a little ambiguous.
    • Aim for 5000 steps per day on average. Still doing a lot of “mall walking” right now with my BFF. Soon will be light enough in the morning to get a nice walk in before most folks wake up – just me and the birds!

Had some good NSV including lower blood sugar, actually a bit lower blood pressure, and fitting again into some of my smaller pants.

Also lost about 3 lbs this month. One of the neat things about eliminating the sugar, according to some of the info I’ve read lately, is that it’s often a slow and gradual process since not all carbs are drastically reduced and I’m OK with that as I am pretty close to goal.

Lanette
    SW WA State where March is coming in like a lamb today.

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :star:
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Charleen Your act of kindness has me in tears. Bless you.

Yvonne I would like to see bluebonnets and Indian Paintbrush. Any chance you can take a picture?

Becca You will be interested to know my nickname when I was a kid was "horse". I somehow thought it was because I was fat (I wasn't). Years later I found out it was because I rode horses and couldn't stop talking about them, and not because I was fat, which I wasn't. If I had known at the time, I would have liked that nickname, as I believed and still believe horses are a higher order. Glad you swatted your silly husband for me. I have been roasting the vegetables the last few days, as I got tired of eating them all raw, and it's amazing how easy it is to eat a pound of vegetables a day. I love 'em!

Lisa Nice to see your post! <3

Karen in Virginia
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Charleen – Our last cat, “Miss Kitty” lived about 21 years. As she got older, it was hard for her to jump up; but, every time we ever mentioned she did not look very good (not grooming herself) and thinking she’d die any time. We were always surprised that when we got home from wherever; she had groomed herself (partially) and would ‘meow’ so we’d look at the job she had done. She’d be ‘groomed’ from the top of her head, down to her waist, down her front legs; but, what she could not reach by bending over, was left ungroomed. She’d ‘meow’ until we reached over and rubbed her head and would ‘purr’ like she was the ‘most loved cat in the world’. Oh, to love a cat and be loved by a cat is a joyous thing. She was the most loved cat of ours, at the time. Tux is such a lover you can't overlook him. He comes running up like a dog; when Louis pulled into the carport. Happy to see him and knowing he will get a small amount of cat food to eat before Luna comes down and pushes him out of the way. That is one reason we keep a small pan out there full of food, in the drawer off the desk. We put Cracker's old crate pad out there on top of the desk and he loves it.

Yvonne in TX – I am sure the bluebonnets and Indian paintbrush flowers are pretty out there. Our spring flowers are daffodils and tulips (although the tulips don’t last long). We have what I call “Johnny Jump-ups” that look like miniature pansies). Pansies down here in SW GA are more of a Fall and Winter flower. Jasmine and azaleas, roses, lilies and irises are some others that will bloom out in the yard. It doesn’t look like my irises are coming up; and, I can just hope that my lilies will bloom. The Johnny Jump-ups grow ‘wild’ in the wooded area, where it is moist. But you can buy flats of them during early Spring.

Heather – I’m still on HCT (???) has a long name; but, very low dosage. It always goes by the shortened term.

Becca – Your lunch looks delicious!

Mia and Becca – You’ve got to remember to ‘bookmark’ the new page(s).

Lisa – Great that you and your husband have not smoked since the day before surgery; and, you for 7 weeks. You go, girl! Y’all will feel so much better being ‘smoke-free’.

Can’t wait for the combined “Chicago” shows and the ‘new’ one as well.

Kept under my caloric intake for the first time in the past 3 days. Got to get up on the treadmill now; so ‘nighty-night’

Lenora
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Charleen, that man will remember your vet's office forever. You are a saint. When an elderly person has a sick animal, a part of him is sick also. Helping bring that animal to health is so much more that just helping the animal.

Heather, thanks for the pics. Your DDIL is beautiful.

Becca, is that spinach leaves in your lunch?? I sometimes like regular spinach but not cooked like that. I'm glad you do.

Well today I stopped playing a facebook game I have been playing for about 6 years. I used to love playing it and always prided myself for being high in the ranking. I have no more passion for it now and find it a chore. It took a lot of thinking but I gave it up.

In PT today, she had me sit on aan excercise ball once good and balanced had to put each leg up in the air. It still hurts my left low back but not my right low back. I also can't balance without holding on to the table. I guess my core isn't strong enough yet. I have one more session with her and then another re-evaluation. I hope I am done pretty soon. I don't like forking out $40/session. But last year they were $45 so I guess I should be glad.

Gotta get ready for choir practice, Joyce Indiana
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    Nnnnn
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 12.51min, 13.8amph, 144mhr, 2.9mi = 117c
    apple watch- 111c
    SPIN CLASS- 45MIN, 91ar, 100aw, 149mhr, 11-17g, 20.1mi = 338c
    apple watch- 352c
    bike ride gym 2 dome train station- 7.20min, 144mhr, 11.4amph, 1.3mi = 86
    apple watch- 47c
    jog station 2 wk- 5.09min, 10.13min mi, 152mhr, .5mi = 57c
    apple watch- 54c
    jog wk 2 sta- 5.20min, 10.31min mi, 141mhr, .5mi = 64c
    apple watch- 53c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 19.51min, 7.8amph, 145mhr, 2.5mi = 208c
    apple watch- 148c

total cal 870
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    March Goals
    Ways to Step-Up My Game

Assess Problems
    1. Carbs. I've been attempting to do a lower carb diet of 50-75g with no more than 25g per meal. (Doctor recommendation.) But - I haven't been monitoring my carbs well.
    2. Fiber. I've attempted to get 30g fiber daily for colon health. (Doctor recommendation.) I'm getting it by adding Metamucil or Miralax to my daily intake. I want to incorporate more food-based fiber. I have a list of high fiber foods. And, I'll add ground flaxseed and chia seeds to my meals.
    3. Breakfast. I struggle with choosing a healthy breakfast - so it's often coffee and an ounce of raw almonds. Think I'll try prepping some quick breakfast options. I also have a bad habit of getting my coffee and getting on the couch in my pjs until I pry myself up to get busy. I think I need a rule to make myself get dressed before my 2nd cup of coffee.
    4. Vegetables - I need to eat more fresh vegetables. I love them - but I've been too lazy to fix them for myself. DH preps more starchy veggies/sides and I need to pass on those. Actually I'm not that lazy. But DH tends to cook more. Even if I cook - he'll come in and cook something else. And... I hate wasting food. We aren't on the same page. When I dropped the most weight in 2014 - I was squarely and completely in charge of preparing every bite I ate. And... DH tended to get on board with me then. He will follow my lead. So... I'll meal plan for myself and get to cooking.
    5. Exercise. I haven't really pushed myself to get moving. Perhaps getting myself dressed when I get up will help my motivation. Also - I might be letting myself off the hook by thinking... "weight loss is really more about the eating than the moving". And that may be true... but psychologically for me - they work together to promote and support the whole healthy lifestyle vibe: Eating and moving to feel better... to build my core... to be stronger.
    6. Blood Labs. I received results of my blood work. Glucose is elevated. So time to get it under control. Doc wants me to focus on losing 10% weight.

March Goals
    1. Carbs 50-75g with no more than 25g per meal.
    2. Fiber 30g - work on getting more from food. Add to menu plan.
    3. Track. Submit completed entry daily in MFP.
    4. Vegetables. Eat a big veggie salad for lunch or supper.
    5. Exercise. Log 30 Fitbit minutes. And daily session on the elliptical.
    6. Fast. No eating after 9pm. To prevent late night snacking and to get a good 12 hour overnight fast.
    7. Sleep. In bed by midnight.
    8. Declutter. Office Supplies, Electronics, Music, Craft Supplies, Cleaning Supplies, Utility Drawer, Utility Closet.

I'll work on more mindful... eating, exercise, sleep. Aiming for progress not perfection.
    I'm thankful for this group.

-- Ginger in Texas
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie for getting us into a new month with a clean start. We all need redos once in awhile.
    Charleen - you are a kind and loving person. You will reap your rewards.
    Heather- your grands are beautiful.
    Lisa - glad you are ready now. So let's do this.
    Welcome to the new girls.
    Tomorrow I will do my measurements and weight.
    Mary- walk everyday, any measurement such as steps or time?
    Played bridge all day so feeling very jumpy. May walk around the house for awhile.
    SueBDew in TX
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Thanks for new thread, Barbie!
    My goal for March is to exercise more because the weight has been doing that creep up thing since Christmas. Not good!
    Betty
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :)Ginger, I get dressed immediately in the morning after my bathroom ablutions. Then I am ready to take a walk. About vegetables, I buy frozen cauliflower and broccoli and green beans so I can have veggies in a hurry and no worry about preparation or waste. Also I eat exactly the same breakfast every day so I don't have to think about what to fix.

<3Charleen, what a thoughtful thing you did.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    17,000 steps
    185 minutes walking Sasha and Bess
    133 minutes riding the exercise bike
    line dance class

<3 Barbie from chilly NW Washington
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Joyce~ Yep that is fresh spinach,sautéed until just wilted, not slimy! I am a SPINACHHOLIC.