March 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    All this talk about drop, and yet that is something I've never paid attention to. I do pay attention to padding, though. For road running shoes, I prefer more padding and less for trail running. My road running shoes, which are way over-worn at this point, are Hoka One Clifton's with a ton of padding. My trail running shoes are Ahnu's.

I've just never thought drop was all that important... except when those shoes came out with huge negative drops (such as Skecher's Shape-Ups) and people couldn't handle walking in them. There was even a class-action lawsuit. I actually still have an old pair that I wear around the house.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Still trying to catch up as I respond to some old posts...You guys seems to post faster than I can read, lol!

@ko4q I loved your description of your first marathon! Oh my...the thought of running 26.2 in a cotton shirt makes my nipples cringe!

@Stoshew71 had some great information on bonking (of the non-Brit variety) and fat/carb burning. This is exactly the process/reason I'm running many of my long runs fasted and with no fuel during. I've run up to 19 miles with nothing to eat or drink along the way. Run it slow and let your body figure things out. The human body is an AMAZING machine! The only thing I'll add to this discussion is that I think critical long runs should be fully fueled both before and during. For instance, the training plan I worked up for myself generally has alternating hard weeks and easy weeks. Both weeks have long runs but my hard weeks, naturally, have longer long runs than easy weeks. I run my easy week long runs fasted and my hard week long runs fueled, like this:

18 miles - fasted
    22 miles - fueled
    15 miles -fasted
    25 miles -fueled (with homemade bacon!! and gels and bars)

For my final 4 weeks of training I will run all my long runs fueled because of their importance in ultra training. Since I'm figuring my 50k will take me about 6 hours, I'm going to start training with real food. I'm tempted to bring along a Jimmy John's sandwich to make me freaky fast.

@skippygirlsmom I saw that Nissan video on a trail running FB page I'm on. Crazy! That would be great to have if our kids were still toddlers!! Glad to hear Skip's been cleared to run again and that you're running again!

@lporter229 sounds like you're back on the path to Boston!

@MNLittleFinn sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but glad the doc isn't worried. Take solace in knowing that your 9 day break will not only help your knee but every other sore body part.

@ariceroni congrats on getting back to pre-injury weight! Great to see you posting!

@shanaber very cool picture of that vulture! It's like it posed for you.

@MobyCarp you mentioned in your March 4th post how poor conditions can make a run effectively longer than the same distance in perfect conditions. I was thinking about just that concept Saturday. I'd guess about half my run was in various states of mud. Sometimes thin, sometimes shoe sucking. I ended up with 25 miles on the day but with all the slipping and sliding I did I wonder how much the effective distance was. I do know that all that mud was a great workout for my support muscles.

@WhatMeRunning it's GREAT to see you back posting here again!! I'll be down your way next month. We're spending Easter weekend in KC to watch my daughter's volleyball team play in a national tournament. We're staying in Lenexa, just a mile from Shawnee Mission Park.

@patrikc333 good luck with that interview!

@epr3996 congrats on the nonstop 5k!

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    dpwellman wrote: »
    I had an epiphany: one of the reasons I run is because I'm too impatient to walk.

I walk a lot in addition to running, and I notice that I frequently get impatient when I walk. Like, I know I can get to where I'm going faster if I just RUN. But most of the time I walk, I'm not wearing the proper bra for running, so any attempts at running usually get nipped in the bud really fast. :smile:

Before I started running I would do 90 min walks and I really enjoyed it. Now, it's like torture. I hate that, but it is what it is. Most of my walking now is in 20 min increments in my office building and looking at my phone to pass the time.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    dpwellman wrote: »
    I had an epiphany: one of the reasons I run is because I'm too impatient to walk.

I walk a lot in addition to running, and I notice that I frequently get impatient when I walk. Like, I know I can get to where I'm going faster if I just RUN. But most of the time I walk, I'm not wearing the proper bra for running, so any attempts at running usually get nipped in the bud really fast. :smile:

Before I started running I would do 90 min walks and I really enjoyed it. Now, it's like torture. I hate that, but it is what it is. Most of my walking now is in 20 min increments in my office building and looking at my phone to pass the time.

I'm the same with hiking. I notice I hike so much less now and I trail run (run/walk) more often. I never really got into walking around city streets. However, I did a Meetup once with a Volksporting group... I was about 25 years younger than the next youngest person (i.e. it was a group of retired people). I'll acknowledge that they had developed a fascinating 10K route through town that included a tremendous amount of diversity in neighborhoods, some great views, and we passed some historical sites. The route was great, but I feel like walking it took too long.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @MobyCarp - I don't know why I never thought to track daily weight fluctuations compared to specific exercises, but I have a feeling that will begin now. :smile:

As far as Hokas...I can't possibly hate them enough! :laugh: And I do like padded shoes, my favorites are Brooks Ghost and Glycerin. Trying a new pair of Hokas on the trails last year is what started my foot injury that ultimately took me out of running and starting all over again now. I still have them to remind me never to buy another pair. It's not necessarily the cushioning that gave me trouble, it was that my feet rolled out from under me several times within the first mile until finally one such stumble left me in pain. If people can stay upright in them and like padding, I can see why they are popular. But for me...they are a DEATH WISH!!! The difference I have observed in the soles of the Brooks and Hokas that I ran in is that the Brooks flare out and the sole has a larger footprint than the shoe, while the Hokas are pretty much straight down and have a smaller footprint. So I guess that narrower footprint is to blame (that's my story anyway).

@lporter229 - That is very interesting how well that needle therapy worked. I've never given much consideration towards that. Good to know how well it works.

@7lenny7 - You are going to be VERY near by! I live 2 miles exactly (by running path) to the main entrance of Shawnee Mission Park (I'm due east). My pace and distance doesn't match up at the moment probably to do a run together (maybe a warmup/cooldown for you), but if you have any free time we could definitely grab a beer together!
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Today called for 25 mins very easy following yesterdays long run. In the end I did 26.5minutes at easy rather than very easy pace. Although a couple of degrees cooler than recently, with the sun out and wind down to just 8mph felt a lot warmer so was a lovely seafront run.

Tried on some new budget shoes, (Karrimor D30 Cushion Road - with a discount were only £30 so thought I'd give them a go). Despite their budget status they were very comfortable, but felt a bit bulky - not heavy necessarily but definitely bulky with lots of padding - also have no idea of drop of my shoes. Definitely felt well supported in them though so we'll see how they do when I try them on longer/faster runs.

Other than that nothing really to report from today.

exercise.png
    2-Mar: 1k TM + 7.8k steady
    3-Mar: 10.1k easy
    5-Mar: 10k steady
    6-Mar: 21.2k easy
    7-Mar: 4.3k easy
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I did a Cyclebar class on Saturday morning and it kicked my *kitten*! Running fitness obviously does not translate to biking fitness.
    @lporter229 Tell me about it ^^ There's plenty of hills around here that I run without problem, but cycling all the way up is a huge struggle...
    I hope your PT appointment today goes well!

@MNLittleFinn The new recommendations from the doctor sound promising. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you can start running again on Thursday.

@epr3996 Awesome job on the 5k without walking!

@skippygirlsmom Yay for 2 pain free miles :smiley:

@kimlight2 That's awesome that you got encouragement from random people on your run! I hope the weather stays nice so that you won't miss the broken treadmill too much.

@RespectTheKitty I'm glad to hear that the change in medication helped you!
    And funny that you write about smelly running shoes just now! I actually threw a pair of mine into the washing machine yesterday, because I got a whiff of a bis musty air when I opened the shoe drawer.
    Some manufacturers say that you shouldn't machine wash them, since it can damage the foam layer, so I wouldn't do it too often. And absolutely not when they are new. But none of my other running shoes smell, just one pair. I figure if they can survive hours of running in the rain, a 30 minute cycle on "cold and gentle hand wash" settings with a little bit mild detergent, after nearly 500km or running in them, shouldn't harm them too much. On top of that, the insoles get to spend the next 24h in the freezer.
    I'm hoping that will fix it. Or maybe it will turn out I've destroyed the shoes for good, and I get to buy new ones. Win-win! :wink:

@7lenny7 That's some really impressive distance you've been running! And thanks for sharing the graffiti pictures, very cool.

@shanaber @iofred @lporter229 I hate when running shoe companies change a good shoe too much. I loved the Brooks PureFlow 3, but I couldn't run distances of 8km or longer without pain in my feet in the PureFlow 5. I've only done maybe 120km in them, but I think I'll have to give up and turn them into everyday walking shoes instead.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    By the way, there's a free virtual 10k race for the British Science week (10-19 March):
    https://runthesolarsystem.com/
    If you live in the UK you can buy a medal pack for £15, but if you just want to run the race, it's free.
    It comes with an app with audio clips about a "journey through the solar system" along the run.

It sounds similar to the zombies run virtual races (the app is done by the same company), and those are always fun, so I think I'll do it.

Is anybody else running it too?
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Torrential downpour this AM in middle TN. 25 min T later this evening, which might have to be done on the. . . dreadmill.

@WhatMeRunning I started consecutive running days January 22 and I can't say that these supplements were 100% responsible, but I took bromelian and boron citrate twice daily the entire time and felt better than fine-- a marked departure from previous attempts. I did take Feb 27 off, though.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7
    I do use the following lacing technique near the tongue to prevent too much toe movement.

https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/locklacing.htm

Last night, I did notice one time where my toes hit the front of the shoe going downhill. They are roomier so I expected that to happen a bit. I also have a weird technique for going downhill on trails. I'm not sure I can effectively describe it, but I look for the line with the best footing path and do really quick steps to somewhat decrease the impact while letting gravity do its job. It almost feels like high knees with a bit of a forward lean but less exaggerated...kind of like a quick footplant to keep me on the right path down without braking. Of course, this depends on how steep the hill is and the obstacles. So, the time where my toes did hit the front of the shoe was on a pretty steep downhill on a very uneven rock slope and I think I was braking instead of doing my quick steps.

With my knee issues I had in January, I was worried how it would affect my downhill trail running, but all is good. I love running downhill as fast as possible where you're on that brink of falling. I didn't wear any knee support this weekend, and all was good going fast down hill. Yay!!! :smiley:
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @BeeerRunner thanks for that lacing link. I'll try that out next time. I also try to run downhill with really short, quick steps with gravity as my main propulsion, trying to brake as little as possible without getting out of control. Almost as if I'm trying to float down.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    By the way, there's a free virtual 10k race for the British Science week (10-19 March):
    https://runthesolarsystem.com/
    If you live in the UK you can buy a medal pack for £15, but if you just want to run the race, it's free.
    It comes with an app with audio clips about a "journey through the solar system" along the run.

It sounds similar to the zombies run virtual races (the app is done by the same company), and those are always fun, so I think I'll do it.

Is anybody else running it too?

@_nikkiwolf_ Thanks - I hadn't seen that and looks good. If I didn't have my daughter this weekend I would have done the real race, but going to have to stick to doing the virtual one some time next week. I have my HM on the weekend (19th) so won't go all out but I'll fit it in somewhere.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Today will be a rest day for me. Short story: I'm exhausted.
  • chichidachimp
    chichidachimp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Date - Mi - MTD
    3/1 - 1.26 - 1.26
    3/2 - 6.00 - 7.26
    3/3 - 1.43 - 8.69
    3/6 - 3.55 -12.24
    3/7 - 1.20 - 13.44
    Miles remaining 56.56
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @HRKinchen I think you can definitely do the 5k in 45 mins!

@midwesterner85 Enjoy the rest :)

Soooooo....my left knee has bothered me for 20+ years. As a teenager I was constantly kicking my left heel to my butt because I had an urge to pop that knee (I accidentally kicked quite a few people standing in lines behind me over the years. LOL) It sorta got better for many years and I broke the habit I think but once in awhile it would flare up where I'd need to pop it again. But over the past week I think I'm realizing I've crossed a line where this isn't just the normal knee popping thing. I have no pain when running or any other time really, but the constant urge to pop that knee if driving me nuts and I feel a tightness at times across the front of my knee. So my plan is to work on strengthening my quads and stretch/roll quads, hamstrings, and calves and see if this resolves the issue because I think my kneecap is not aligning properly. It feels so much better when I pop it, but 2 mins later I'm back in the same position. Very annoying. I'm also doing some icing in case there's any inflammation.

Any other suggestions? I don't think this is really a normal running knee problem but rather a problem I'm already prone to and maybe I've worsened it with running by creating worse muscle imbalances. I'm hoping I can correct this myself but we'll see. I'm not in pain so I'm willing to try to work it out.