Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Detox/Cleanse

Options

Replies

• Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    As far as fast food goes...there are lots of issues... sodium nitrates which are linked to cancer, multiple dyes also linked to cancer, trans fats like palm oil that clog your arteries, peroxides for bleaching that cause allergies, BHA and BHT preservatives linked to cancer, anti fungals that use benzene which damage your thyroid..the list goes on and on. Most natural non processed food do not have toxins to the same level of exposure.

You need to spend less time on the FoodBabe website...

And Mercola. Lots less time.

I said in another thread something about vetting your sources, Macy. You'd be far happier if you did.

I don't think I need a source to tell me that an apple has fewer toxins than a bottle of vodka...you might...but that is another story.

Never mind. I'm off to make a drink...

78i5u8nms99l.jpg

You really have no sense of humour.
  • Macy9336
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    I think the detox/cleanse things are just snake oil....a waste of money. Its no coincidence that these detox/cleanse regimes include not consuming toxins (fast food, alcohol, caffeine, etc). All it does is sell you the idea that some special tea or colon cleansing herb is doing the detox when actually it's the pause in consuming toxins and allowing your body's natural systems to catch up that is doing all the work.

While I agree with you that detox/cleanses are a waste of money scam... I'm curious at your comment seeming to indicate that fast food, alcohol, and caffeine are toxins. What specifically is toxic about these substances?

Are you seriously asking this? Alcohol is highly toxic and a carcinogen. Caffeine is an addictive chemical. Both alcohol and caffeine are mood altering drugs. Fast food is full of random artificial chemicals which are also toxins...preservatives, flavourings, dyes, trans fats, etc.

Natural, non-processed foods are full of chemicals which are also toxins. Should I not eat an apple because cyanide?

First time I've ever seen anyone argue that alcohol is no more toxic than an apple........beggars belief. Besides the trace cyanide is in the apple seeds which hardly anyone actually eats..I certainly don't eat apple seeds.

The point is that your body has every thing it needs to "cleanse" any "toxins" you may ingest. You do not need to drink a tea, or swallow a pill, or stick something to the bottom of your feet for this to happen. If your body was not doing it, you would be in immediate need of a doctor, not a tea.

Why are you preaching to the choir? I distinctly remember calling these products "snake oil" and a waste of money.

You're the one claiming there are any "toxins" to be scared of in the first place. Which there aren't.

Er, no I didn't claim there were any toxins "to be scared of." I said that it's no coincidence that these detox products require users to abstain from toxins such as alcohol, caffeine and fast food so that people think it is the product doing the detoxifying when it fact it is their own body catching up.

ok, but i don't think that anyone is arguing with most of that. but i think it's the notion that your body is full of toxins from fast food, caffeine, etc. that people are arguing against.

A notion that I did NOT espouse in any way. I was asked to list what could possibly be toxic about alcohol, caffeine and fast food. So I did. I never for a second said that we're all laden with toxins. It was all about what these products tell people (suckers) to do whilst taking their products.

So, you didn't say this?

"Are you seriously asking this? Alcohol is highly toxic and a carcinogen. Caffeine is an addictive chemical. Both alcohol and caffeine are mood altering drugs. Fast food is full of random artificial chemicals which are also toxins...preservatives, flavourings, dyes, trans fats, etc."

How is a person supposed to interpret that?!?

Ok, I said that these detox diets tell people to abstain from caffeine, alcohol and fast food...as "toxins" I am asked what could possibly be toxic? So I answer the question with what the detox company would say... i thought it was a dumb question which is why I asked if they were serious.

So asking you what specifically is toxic about alcohol, caffeine and fast food is a dumb question?

You still don't seem to understand that toxicity is based upon dosage. None of the things you listed, in and of itself, is toxic.

Yes it's a dumb question. Because the poster probably knew the answer or could easily find them for him/herself. As I said, I listed what the detox companies push. I understand toxicity thank you very much for your concern.
  • Macy9336
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    I think the detox/cleanse things are just snake oil....a waste of money. Its no coincidence that these detox/cleanse regimes include not consuming toxins (fast food, alcohol, caffeine, etc). All it does is sell you the idea that some special tea or colon cleansing herb is doing the detox when actually it's the pause in consuming toxins and allowing your body's natural systems to catch up that is doing all the work.

While I agree with you that detox/cleanses are a waste of money scam... I'm curious at your comment seeming to indicate that fast food, alcohol, and caffeine are toxins. What specifically is toxic about these substances?

Are you seriously asking this? Alcohol is highly toxic and a carcinogen. Caffeine is an addictive chemical. Both alcohol and caffeine are mood altering drugs. Fast food is full of random artificial chemicals which are also toxins...preservatives, flavourings, dyes, trans fats, etc.

Natural, non-processed foods are full of chemicals which are also toxins. Should I not eat an apple because cyanide?

First time I've ever seen anyone argue that alcohol is no more toxic than an apple........beggars belief. Besides the trace cyanide is in the apple seeds which hardly anyone actually eats..I certainly don't eat apple seeds.

The point is that your body has every thing it needs to "cleanse" any "toxins" you may ingest. You do not need to drink a tea, or swallow a pill, or stick something to the bottom of your feet for this to happen. If your body was not doing it, you would be in immediate need of a doctor, not a tea.

Why are you preaching to the choir? I distinctly remember calling these products "snake oil" and a waste of money.

You're the one claiming there are any "toxins" to be scared of in the first place. Which there aren't.

Er, no I didn't claim there were any toxins "to be scared of." I said that it's no coincidence that these detox products require users to abstain from toxins such as alcohol, caffeine and fast food so that people think it is the product doing the detoxifying when it fact it is their own body catching up.

ok, but i don't think that anyone is arguing with most of that. but i think it's the notion that your body is full of toxins from fast food, caffeine, etc. that people are arguing against.

A notion that I did NOT espouse in any way. I was asked to list what could possibly be toxic about alcohol, caffeine and fast food. So I did. I never for a second said that we're all laden with toxins. It was all about what these products tell people (suckers) to do whilst taking their products.

So, you didn't say this?

"Are you seriously asking this? Alcohol is highly toxic and a carcinogen. Caffeine is an addictive chemical. Both alcohol and caffeine are mood altering drugs. Fast food is full of random artificial chemicals which are also toxins...preservatives, flavourings, dyes, trans fats, etc."

How is a person supposed to interpret that?!?

Ok, I said that these detox diets tell people to abstain from caffeine, alcohol and fast food...as "toxins" I am asked what could possibly be toxic? So I answer the question with what the detox company would say... i thought it was a dumb question which is why I asked if they were serious.

ok, i guess we just chalk it up to a basic internet misunderstanding. it seems we're all on the same page.

giphy.gif

Thank you! Now go enjoy your toxin of choice ;)
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    As far as fast food goes...there are lots of issues... sodium nitrates which are linked to cancer, multiple dyes also linked to cancer, trans fats like palm oil that clog your arteries, peroxides for bleaching that cause allergies, BHA and BHT preservatives linked to cancer, anti fungals that use benzene which damage your thyroid..the list goes on and on. Most natural non processed food do not have toxins to the same level of exposure.

You need to spend less time on the FoodBabe website...

And Mercola. Lots less time.

I said in another thread something about vetting your sources, Macy. You'd be far happier if you did.

I don't think I need a source to tell me that an apple has fewer toxins than a bottle of vodka...you might...but that is another story.

People die every year from water toxicity. So by your "logic" water is a toxin.

Better avoid it!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    As someone who has food and chemical sensitivities, toxins are real. I expect many are too young to have been inflicted with amalgam fillings, mercury in vaccinations and that sort of stuff. I'm one who's dentist describes as, "one of the canaries in the coalmine", keeling over before the rest of you do. Increasingly people are having difficulties with all manor of things and it is not always true that liver problems are self inflicted. There is so much which has made its way into the food supply either because it was used habitually or because "it was effective" at some stage in our history, chemicals to improve food harvests in the inter war, and war years and have never been tested for safety.

In Europe we have a different approach to food production, in the US you have practices no longer used over here because of the potential for issues. Talk of special relationships and special deals should not include foods which are produced to lesser standards than we expect of our own producers here in the UK.

I had my first issue with vaccinations when I was a few weeks old, something in it made my arm swell to a frightening degree, mercury is/was a common preservative. I went on to receive repeated rounds of antibiotics for tonsillitis when penicillin was the only antibiotic and the long term damage antibiotics in general could do, were not recognised by those who's jobs it was to know better than my parents, who trusted them implicitly. Recent research indicates early trauma as being linked to hypothyroid problems, itself a wide and complex issue which dedicated research is starting to get to grips with, leaving the local GP's far behind in their knowledge. Though best practice states the pituitary and adrenal status should be identified before treatment with t4 is instigated, yet nothing short of full Cushing's warrants adrenal investigations. With 300 potential symptoms and a person's own selection for being hypothyroid, it is under recognised. Hashimotos initially presents with antibodies only which breakdown the thyroid and possibly other tissue by molecule mimicry and only when its destruction is well underway does it present with skewed thyroid numbers which are not understood by too many. When the endocrine system works well, it does clear down all the residue of living, it is what it is there for but when the system is slowed by slowed metabolism from an endocrine imbalance the liver et.al suffer and the system clogs up unable to eliminate sufficiently to maintain a good balance things go badly wrong. Modern liver function tests only measure the levels of some chemicals, not actually how the liver is functioning, it is only indicative and not definitive until the liver is 3/4 lost. The body becomes less able to make the digestive enzymes it should and gradually one becomes less able to eat foods one grew up eating happily. Add because of repeated assault from antibiotics the digestive biome is compromised taking with it a vast part of the immune system which science is realising is/should be external to our bodies in the gut providing the microscopic particles we require to function properly internally.

You are welcome to scoff and many manufactures will try to make profits from a perceived "hysteria". As someone who knows the problems of toxicity only too well, the muscular skeletal issues, the joint pain, difficulty in moving, repeated bouts of bronchitis, breathing difficulties which increase the mobility issues, the added weight because toxins which are not excreted, is stored within the hard pressed cells for want of something better to do with it all, it was not that I was eating too much, much of it was contaminated clogging things up, and that's before we get to the more personal cyclical problems I endured which were "what a woman should expect" but when the body's systems are correctly balanced are "blink and you will miss it". It was all consuming and debilitating.

Toxins had built up in me over my life time. In my 68 th year, I'm healthier by far now than I was at 40 because I have worked/read, to discover what was going wrong and am taking steps to rectify what I can. My working life was cut short I did not work past 50, I could not. I'd retrained to live with the consequences of what I now know were due to an immense toxic load. I'm pleased for you that you have not experienced the restrictions I have, the needing to be within ones own home for fear of what ever is out there that makes you throw up because you smelled someone's laundry residue from their clothes in the open air. Please thank your lucky stars that you are living an existence better able to cope with toxicity.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Really? Most brown rice contains arsenic and because I have celiac disease and many GF products are rice based, my doctor tests my arsenic levels annually.