Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Detox/Cleanse

Options

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I think the detox/cleanse things are just snake oil....a waste of money. Its no coincidence that these detox/cleanse regimes include not consuming toxins (fast food, alcohol, caffeine, etc). All it does is sell you the idea that some special tea or colon cleansing herb is doing the detox when actually it's the pause in consuming toxins and allowing your body's natural systems to catch up that is doing all the work.

While I agree with you that detox/cleanses are a waste of money scam... I'm curious at your comment seeming to indicate that fast food, alcohol, and caffeine are toxins. What specifically is toxic about these substances?

Are you seriously asking this? Alcohol is highly toxic and a carcinogen. Caffeine is an addictive chemical. Both alcohol and caffeine are mood altering drugs. Fast food is full of random artificial chemicals which are also toxins...preservatives, flavourings, dyes, trans fats, etc.

Natural, non-processed foods are full of chemicals which are also toxins. Should I not eat an apple because cyanide?

First time I've ever seen anyone argue that alcohol is no more toxic than an apple........beggars belief. Besides the trace cyanide is in the apple seeds which hardly anyone actually eats..I certainly don't eat apple seeds.

The point is that your body has every thing it needs to "cleanse" any "toxins" you may ingest. You do not need to drink a tea, or swallow a pill, or stick something to the bottom of your feet for this to happen. If your body was not doing it, you would be in immediate need of a doctor, not a tea.

Why are you preaching to the choir? I distinctly remember calling these products "snake oil" and a waste of money.

You're the one claiming there are any "toxins" to be scared of in the first place. Which there aren't.

Er, no I didn't claim there were any toxins "to be scared of." I said that it's no coincidence that these detox products require users to abstain from toxins such as alcohol, caffeine and fast food so that people think it is the product doing the detoxifying when it fact it is their own body catching up.

ok, but i don't think that anyone is arguing with most of that. but i think it's the notion that your body is full of toxins from fast food, caffeine, etc. that people are arguing against.

A notion that I did NOT espouse in any way. I was asked to list what could possibly be toxic about alcohol, caffeine and fast food. So I did. I never for a second said that we're all laden with toxins. It was all about what these products tell people (suckers) to do whilst taking their products.

So, you didn't say this?

"Are you seriously asking this? Alcohol is highly toxic and a carcinogen. Caffeine is an addictive chemical. Both alcohol and caffeine are mood altering drugs. Fast food is full of random artificial chemicals which are also toxins...preservatives, flavourings, dyes, trans fats, etc."

How is a person supposed to interpret that?!?

Ok, I said that these detox diets tell people to abstain from caffeine, alcohol and fast food...as "toxins" I am asked what could possibly be toxic? So I answer the question with what the detox company would say... i thought it was a dumb question which is why I asked if they were serious.

Holy backpedal, Batman. You seriously expect us to now believe you weren't saying all those things you listed are toxic?

Yes I do. Because if you read the thread all I said was that part of the selling strategy of the detox companies is to tell people to "abstain from toxins such as alcohol, caffeine and fast food" which is what is written as instructions for use on a lot of these detox programs...I said they say that specifically so people think they are being "detoxified" when in fact their body does all the work. Then, I was specifically asked to list what could be considered toxic about alcohol, caffeine and fast food. I was thinking it was a joke question, which is why I asked if they were serious. Then I gave them what they asked for...the reasons why some people think they are toxic. Then you all jump in, not reading the whole thread and make some assumption that what I am reporting is somehow my personal view.

It's kind of sad that you can't just admit that you were wrong. It's very clear reading the thread exactly what you meant.

ETA: or you really need better communication skills.

Also, can we hope that the stuff you keep spouting in other threads is also you 'joking around'?

Newsflash. I had a TBI. I had to relearn everything...reading, writing, speaking, I am effing DISABLED with SEVERE cognitive impairments. So yeah, I have trouble communicating. Experiences like this make me want to give up and wish I hadn't fought so hard to not be a vegetable. You guys have NO IDEA how hard it can be to translate thought into written words.

Well I'm very sorry to hear that Macy, sincerely. But you can't expect strangers on the internet to know that. We take what is written at face value, unless it is made clear at the time that it's a joke. You also could have said way up thread 'hey, guys, sorry I didn't mean to give the impression that's what I believed, I've miscommunicated'. Essentially you've shifted the blame to us, which is pretty unfair.

I could have said that if I had realised what was going on. I honestly thought we were all joking around. All the way through the apple and vodka statement, I was thinking oh were all having a laugh at the detox companies. As soon as I realised that you guys were seriously thinking that was what I believed, I started right away by saying wait a second, that's not MY view, we've had a misunderstanding. You're expecting me to have "caught on" a lot sooner than I actually did... which is not reasonable given my impairments. I'm not trying to shift blame or anything. I was just frustrated and felt I had no choice but to let you know because it was the only way to explain why it took me so long to catch on and try to correct the misunderstanding.

And yet, you told me upthread that I had "no sense of humor"??? If you thought we were "all joking around," not sure why that would be your response. I'm still cynical.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I think the detox/cleanse things are just snake oil....a waste of money. Its no coincidence that these detox/cleanse regimes include not consuming toxins (fast food, alcohol, caffeine, etc). All it does is sell you the idea that some special tea or colon cleansing herb is doing the detox when actually it's the pause in consuming toxins and allowing your body's natural systems to catch up that is doing all the work.

While I agree with you that detox/cleanses are a waste of money scam... I'm curious at your comment seeming to indicate that fast food, alcohol, and caffeine are toxins. What specifically is toxic about these substances?

Are you seriously asking this? Alcohol is highly toxic and a carcinogen. Caffeine is an addictive chemical. Both alcohol and caffeine are mood altering drugs. Fast food is full of random artificial chemicals which are also toxins...preservatives, flavourings, dyes, trans fats, etc.

Natural, non-processed foods are full of chemicals which are also toxins. Should I not eat an apple because cyanide?

First time I've ever seen anyone argue that alcohol is no more toxic than an apple........beggars belief. Besides the trace cyanide is in the apple seeds which hardly anyone actually eats..I certainly don't eat apple seeds.

The point is that your body has every thing it needs to "cleanse" any "toxins" you may ingest. You do not need to drink a tea, or swallow a pill, or stick something to the bottom of your feet for this to happen. If your body was not doing it, you would be in immediate need of a doctor, not a tea.

Why are you preaching to the choir? I distinctly remember calling these products "snake oil" and a waste of money.

You're the one claiming there are any "toxins" to be scared of in the first place. Which there aren't.

Er, no I didn't claim there were any toxins "to be scared of." I said that it's no coincidence that these detox products require users to abstain from toxins such as alcohol, caffeine and fast food so that people think it is the product doing the detoxifying when it fact it is their own body catching up.

Okay, point still being you consider those things toxic, and that the body needs to "catch up" with "detoxifying" from them.

Absurd.

No, I don't consider them toxic personally. I was only repeating what the detox companies say to people as instructions for use. Look if someone wrote what do you think about shampoo? And I responded, it's ok but no coincidence the companies tell you to was rinse repeat so they can get you to use more of the stuff. Would you then be all like, oh it's YOUR claim you have to wash your hair repeatedly with shampoo....so how many times is enough? Ten? Twenty? Till the shampoo bottle is gone? Because that is exactly what you lot are so insistent on pinning on me.

This would make sense if you didn't say this.

You specifically said that it's the pause in consuming toxins and allowing your body's natural systems to catch up that is doing all of the work.

That statement literally is telling us that you think those things are toxic, and your body needs to catch up because of those toxic things.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »

ok, but i don't think that anyone is arguing with most of that. but i think it's the notion that your body is full of toxins from fast food, caffeine, etc. that people are arguing against.

A notion that I did NOT espouse in any way. I was asked to list what could possibly be toxic about alcohol, caffeine and fast food. So I did. I never for a second said that we're all laden with toxins. It was all about what these products tell people (suckers) to do whilst taking their products.

So, you didn't say this?

"Are you seriously asking this? Alcohol is highly toxic and a carcinogen. Caffeine is an addictive chemical. Both alcohol and caffeine are mood altering drugs. Fast food is full of random artificial chemicals which are also toxins...preservatives, flavourings, dyes, trans fats, etc."

Ok, I said that these detox diets tell people to abstain from caffeine, alcohol and fast food...as "toxins" I am asked what could possibly be toxic? So I answer the question with what the detox company would say... i thought it was a dumb question which is why I asked if they were serious.

Holy backpedal, Batman. You seriously expect us to now believe you weren't saying all those things you listed are toxic?

Yes I do. Because if you read the thread all I said was that part of the selling strategy of the detox companies is to tell people to "abstain from toxins such as alcohol, caffeine and fast food" which is what is written as instructions for use on a lot of these detox programs...I said they say that specifically so people think they are being "detoxified" when in fact their body does all the work. Then, I was specifically asked to list what could be considered toxic about alcohol, caffeine and fast food. I was thinking it was a joke question, which is why I asked if they were serious. Then I gave them what they asked for...the reasons why some people think they are toxic. Then you all jump in, not reading the whole thread and make some assumption that what I am reporting is somehow my personal view.

Yeah there is no way you were writing all of those posts to tell us what the "detox" companies are trying to tell us. It came across loud and clear that you think those things are toxic, and that's why you argued so hard for them, and had all of those specific examples you tried to push on everyone. Then you expect us to believe your whole ignorance is bliss post was to the people who think detoxes are a cure all, but the people you were arguing with were specifically telling you detoxes are garbage, and you don't have toxins in your body? You know that doesn't make sense right? I mean was there actually anybody on this whole post at that time that said anything about detoxes being a good thing?

? Go read my first post..which was incidentally, the first post on this thread after the OP. I said that detoxes were snake oil and a waste of money...so it makes no sense to say that I was arguing "so hard" with people who were also saying detoxes are garbage. Why would I argue against my own opinion?

I only posted specifics because I was asked and I quote "what specifically is toxic about these substances?" Which set me back...hence my "seriously?" comment...I at first didn't want to answer because I don't think they're toxic and it's clear from my first post I was trashing detoxes...but I thought, what the hey, maybe they just want to know why people who buy detoxes view these things as toxic. Thus the sarcastic hyperbole in my posts about "highly toxic" and "your heart stops" and "if it's not a toxin why do they call it intoxication?" it was all sarcasm.

• bagge72
    Options

So, you didn't say this?

Yeah there is no way you were writing all of those posts to tell us what the "detox" companies are trying to tell us. It came across loud and clear that you think those things are toxic, and that's why you argued so hard for them, and had all of those specific examples you tried to push on everyone. Then you expect us to believe your whole ignorance is bliss post was to the people who think detoxes are a cure all, but the people you were arguing with were specifically telling you detoxes are garbage, and you don't have toxins in your body? You know that doesn't make sense right? I mean was there actually anybody on this whole post at that time that said anything about detoxes being a good thing?

? Go read my first post..which was incidentally, the first post on this thread after the OP. I said that detoxes were snake oil and a waste of money...so it makes no sense to say that I was arguing "so hard" with people who were also saying detoxes are garbage. Why would I argue against my own opinion?

I only posted specifics because I was asked and I quote "what specifically is toxic about these substances?" Which set me back...hence my "seriously?" comment...I at first didn't want to answer because I don't think they're toxic and it's clear from my first post I was trashing detoxes...but I thought, what the hey, maybe they just want to know why people who buy detoxes view these things as toxic. Thus the sarcastic hyperbole in my posts about "highly toxic" and "your heart stops" and "if it's not a toxin why do they call it intoxication?" it was all sarcasm.

Yes I already quoted your first post in my last post which showed that you think there are toxins in those things. Just stick to your guns, it's ok. Here it is again for you.

• Macy9336
    Options

So, you didn't say this?

I can be very snarky, but this is an entirely serious question. Do you still view fast food as the equivalent of drinking Drano, then?

I never said that so how can I have that view? I think you are confusing me with someone else?
  • Macy9336
    Options

So, you didn't say this?

Yes I already quoted your first post in my last post which showed that you think there are toxins in those things. Just stick to your guns, it's ok. Here it is again for you.

So? What else was I supposed to call these substances if not toxins? This is a thread about detoxes which people buy to detoxify toxins. Was I supposed to insert a "so-called" in front of every mention of "toxin"? I really don't see a problem with what I wrote. I'd already said they were rubbish, why would I also need to come up with a special term for the word "toxin"?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

So, you didn't say this?

So when you wrote: "Alcohol is highly toxic and a carcinogen. Caffeine is an addictive chemical. Both alcohol and caffeine are mood altering drugs. Fast food is full of random artificial chemicals which are also toxins...preservatives, flavourings, dyes, trans fats, etc." that was the opposite of what you thought?

Are you doing this on all the debate threads or just this one? Because now I don't know how to read your comments on other threads here. I see what looks like "sarcastic hyperbole" in many of your posts and now I don't know how to tell when you mean what you write and when you don't.
  • Macy9336
    Options

So, you didn't say this?

It's kind of sad that you can't just admit that you were wrong. It's very clear reading the thread exactly what you meant.

ETA: or you really need better communication skills.

Also, can we hope that the stuff you keep spouting in other threads is also you 'joking around'?

Newsflash. I had a TBI. I had to relearn everything...reading, writing, speaking, I am effing DISABLED with SEVERE cognitive impairments. So yeah, I have trouble communicating. Experiences like this make me want to give up and wish I hadn't fought so hard to not be a vegetable. You guys have NO IDEA how hard it can be to translate thought into written words.

Well I'm very sorry to hear that Macy, sincerely. But you can't expect strangers on the internet to know that. We take what is written at face value, unless it is made clear at the time that it's a joke. You also could have said way up thread 'hey, guys, sorry I didn't mean to give the impression that's what I believed, I've miscommunicated'. Essentially you've shifted the blame to us, which is pretty unfair.

I could have said that if I had realised what was going on. I honestly thought we were all joking around. All the way through the apple and vodka statement, I was thinking oh were all having a laugh at the detox companies. As soon as I realised that you guys were seriously thinking that was what I believed, I started right away by saying wait a second, that's not MY view, we've had a misunderstanding. You're expecting me to have "caught on" a lot sooner than I actually did... which is not reasonable given my impairments. I'm not trying to shift blame or anything. I was just frustrated and felt I had no choice but to let you know because it was the only way to explain why it took me so long to catch on and try to correct the misunderstanding.

And yet, you told me upthread that I had "no sense of humor"??? If you thought we were "all joking around," not sure why that would be your response. I'm still cynical.

The truth is I wrote that comment to the one where you put in all caps "THERE ARE NO TOXINS" but for some reason when I hit post, the Homer pic appeared. I was like WTF happened?
  • Macy9336
    Options

So, you didn't say this?

So asking you what specifically is toxic about alcohol, caffeine and fast food is a dumb question?

You still don't seem to understand that toxicity is based upon dosage. None of the things you listed, in and of itself, is toxic.

Yes it's a dumb question. Because the poster probably knew the answer or could easily find them for him/herself. As I said, I listed what the detox companies push. I understand toxicity thank you very much for your concern.

I am the poster who asked you the "dumb question". I truly don't understand what you mean when you say that you listed what the detox companies push. Can you clarify, because you seem to be implying that we all understand what you mean and I don't think we do.

Do you think fast food is toxic?
    All fast food? In what dosage?
    What specific ingredient in fast food is toxic? Is this ingredient in every fast food item?

You knows what's toxic? Drano.

Above is the Drano quote....wasn't me.
  • Macy9336
    Options

So, you didn't say this?

I can be very snarky, but this is an entirely serious question. Do you still view fast food as the equivalent of drinking Drano, then?

I never said that so how can I have that view? I think you are confusing me with someone else?

No, it was definitely you.
    g3s4udnfljsv.png

Well it would be the equivalent of drinking a bottle of drain TO ME. That's because I have MCS and I if I eat fast food I puke my guts out due to my personal chemical sensitivities. But that doesn't mean I think fast food is toxic TO EVERYONE.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

So, you didn't say this?

So asking you what specifically is toxic about alcohol, caffeine and fast food is a dumb question?

You still don't seem to understand that toxicity is based upon dosage. None of the things you listed, in and of itself, is toxic.

Yes it's a dumb question. Because the poster probably knew the answer or could easily find them for him/herself. As I said, I listed what the detox companies push. I understand toxicity thank you very much for your concern.

I am the poster who asked you the "dumb question". I truly don't understand what you mean when you say that you listed what the detox companies push. Can you clarify, because you seem to be implying that we all understand what you mean and I don't think we do.

What specific ingredient in fast food is toxic? Is this ingredient in every fast food item?

Yeah, a joke I made in response to you initial comment in another thread.

This one:

i0ogy81fo9vf.png
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

So, you didn't say this?

g3s4udnfljsv.png

Well it would be the equivalent of drinking a bottle of drain TO ME. That's because I have MCS and I if I eat fast food I puke my guts out due to my personal chemical sensitivities. But that doesn't mean I think fast food is toxic TO EVERYONE.

Does your husband also have MCS? I believe you said he was puking his guts up at Disney World as well.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

So, you didn't say this?

So? What else was I supposed to call these substances if not toxins? This is a thread about detoxes which people buy to detoxify toxins. Was I supposed to insert a "so-called" in front of every mention of "toxin"? I really don't see a problem with what I wrote. I'd already said they were rubbish, why would I also need to come up with a special term for the word "toxin"?

It would be standard to either put the word toxin in quotes or put 'so-called' or 'purported' or similar in front of toxin so it is clear you are not using the word in it's true meaning.

Since no one (including me) picked up on your meaning, I'd consider that although you think what you wrote was clear, it is probably because you already knew what you meant. The rest of us don't have that insight.
  • Macy9336
    Options

So, you didn't say this?

This one:

i0ogy81fo9vf.png

It's true, I'd only eat fast food if it was the last food left on the planet. What's your point? That it's impossible to have different rules for oneself vs others? I can't eat it therefore I must obviously think no one else should be able to either? I can't smoke pot doesn't mean I think it should be delegalised. I can't be around air freshener and perfumes...doesn't mean I think they should be banned. You guys are taking what I was saying as purely in relation to how I live my life personally and assuming I'd apply the same standards to everyone else. Meh.
  • Macy9336
    Options

So, you didn't say this?

So when you wrote: "Alcohol is highly toxic and a carcinogen. Caffeine is an addictive chemical. Both alcohol and caffeine are mood altering drugs. Fast food is full of random artificial chemicals which are also toxins...preservatives, flavourings, dyes, trans fats, etc." that was the opposite of what you thought?

Are you doing this on all the debate threads or just this one? Because now I don't know how to read your comments on other threads here. I see what looks like "sarcastic hyperbole" in many of your posts and now I don't know how to tell when you mean what you write and when you don't.

So, you didn't say this?

g3s4udnfljsv.png

Does your husband also have MCS? I believe you said he was puking his guts up at Disney World as well.

No, he has a hiatal hernia and no gall bladder. Different issues, same result.
  • bagge72
    Options

So, you didn't say this?

So... really you can't see it? If you didn't think they were toxins you wouldn't have added that part at all, and I don't know why you can't see that. You added in a part that a pause in consuming toxins is what is making somebody feel better, which means you think those things are toxic. You could have just stopped at the part right before that if you didn't think those things had toxins in them.

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options

So, you didn't say this?

This one:

i0ogy81fo9vf.png

It's true, I'd only eat fast food if it was the last food left on the planet. What's your point? That it's impossible to have different rules for oneself vs others? I can't eat it therefore I must obviously think no one else should be able to either? I can't smoke pot doesn't mean I think it should be delegalised. I can't be around air freshener and perfumes...doesn't mean I think they should be banned. You guys are taking what I was saying as purely in relation to how I live my life personally and assuming I'd apply the same standards to everyone else. Meh.

you're applying a very different reading to your statements than is apparent. across the board. at best, you're asking people to read your words in a way that assumes knowledge of your internal thought process even when it's pretty much the opposite of what you're actually saying. that's a difficult if not impossible task, so please don't be defensive when people aren't catching your intended meaning. even now, it seems that the simpler explanation is that you are back-peddling a bit on your previous statements, but that's ok too.

if i went back and re-examined some of my initial beliefs about weight loss and nutrition i would have a lot to correct. even if i go back only a few weeks i'd be able to see things more clearly because i'm always reading and learning as i go. that's the way it works for a lot of us, especially on the forums where there's information coming from all sides and types of sources. if (IF) you thought that toxins existed in fast food when you wrote your comments and then learned that they weren't, that's awesome! then this whole mfp forum endeavor is serving its purpose and educating people as well as providing an astounding plethora of reaction gifs.