If lifting is the way to get that 'toned' look, then why...?

Options
I keep reading that the only way to get that sought-after 'lean, tight, toned' look is in fact to lift heavy and that muscles cannot be 'toned' or 'tightened,' they can only get bigger. But if this is true, then why do the women who lift that I know have bulging arm muscles, big thighs (muscular, but still), big butts, etc, while the runners and yogi and dancer women I know who have never touched weights have the lean, tight, toned look I want, and a completely different look altogether--narrow hips, thin legs, etc? Their muscles don't look big, they just look tight. Even if they aren't particularly thin...they have visible muscles, but not boxy ones like the lifters. We can't deny that the type of exercise you do matters--it's obvious that swimmer bodies are different from, say, runner bodies. So why do people claim that lifting is the only way to get that look?

Replies

• xtxtxtx
    xtxtxtx Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    They say not to do that and that it's a myth! @merrysailor88 IDK anymore!
  • xtxtxtx
    xtxtxtx Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Not the ones I know @SpotLighttt
  • SpotLighttt
    SpotLighttt Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    xtxtxtx wrote: »
    Not the ones I know @SpotLighttt

..then they are gifted with an abundance of testosterone.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    You don't need to lift heavy as in deadlifts, bench, squat, to look lean and toned. There are plenty of men and women who look that way from just regular exercise combining bodyweight exercise, yoga, TRX, cycling, running etc.

I don't like the big thighs and shoulders and arms you get from heavy lifting either. And there are plenty of women who do get that bulky look naturally without gear and just from lifting. I like the slim, low body fat, evident muscle, "toned" look on women.