Looking for friends...75lb+ to lose

Options

Replies

• oscarv0121
    oscarv0121 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Im currently on my own journey. Hoping to drop 105 pounds. I've already lost 14 due to strict dieting and exercise. Feel free to add me.
  • Olivetop
    Olivetop Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm also looking to lose around 110lbs. I've already lost 20lbs with the help of MFP but just starting to get involve in the community too. Feel free to add me
  • lil_Ngin
    lil_Ngin Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hello and congrats on your progress so far! I've recently joined, I'm 39, and want to lose 13 lbs to start, 83 lbs altogether long term. Please add me :)
  • KWoo2017
    KWoo2017 Posts: 7 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I've been on here for a couple years but mostly used to log nutrition. Had no idea there was support at my fingertips. I have about 60-70 to lose. Actually more but this is my first goal. I'm down 9 pounds in 2 weeks and hope reading everyone's stories helps. You can add me.
  • hilhilbean
    hilhilbean Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    oscarv0121 wrote: »
    Im currently on my own journey. Hoping to drop 105 pounds. I've already lost 14 due to strict dieting and exercise. Feel free to add me.

Congrats on the loss so far! :)

Adding you!
  • hilhilbean
    Options
    lil_Ngin wrote: »
    Hello and congrats on your progress so far! I've recently joined, I'm 39, and want to lose 13 lbs to start, 83 lbs altogether long term. Please add me :)

I split my weight loss up into 11 10-pound goals. It's definitely made losing so much a lot less daunting! I'm adding you! :)
  • hilhilbean
    Options
    KWoo2017 wrote: »
    I've been on here for a couple years but mostly used to log nutrition. Had no idea there was support at my fingertips. I have about 60-70 to lose. Actually more but this is my first goal. I'm down 9 pounds in 2 weeks and hope reading everyone's stories helps. You can add me.

The more friends I have, the more motivation I'm feeling...I don't want to let anyone down! Haha! :)

Adding you!!!
  • tkremark
    tkremark Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, Hillary, I have been using fitness pal for over 2 years. (MY BP got high Thanksgiving 2015) But like many, I stumbled, but probably from one phrase that my wife said to me. I got down to 193 from 220 in April of 2016. Then my wife said to me, "OK, enough, you have lost enough weight!" Instead of challenging her I said OK. I love my wife but remember that there will be people in your life who will feel inadequate when you make progress. Don't let them stop you.

So in 7 months later, you guessed it, on Thanksgiving 2016, my BP went back up. I got on the scale and I gained 20 lbs back. So I got on my routine again, eating less, walking. But this time I used the book The 4-Hour Body by Tim Ferriss and went low carb all week except for Sunday, my cheat day. I eat more protein and guess what, I started lifting weights using a simple app to guide me called "5x5 Stronglifts" Mind you, I am 51 years old and I have not seriously lifted weights since I was a sophomore in high school. I absolutely love lifting weights.
    So here is my advice.

Start with exercise on what you are comfortable with. Mine was walking, then challenge yourself every day to do more. Don't try to eat that elephant all at once. 6 months ago, I would never imagine that i would get into weights.
    Mottos I now live by and it has to do with mindset.
    1. Convenience Kills
    - Park your car as far away from the front door of the grocery store, work, department store and walk. That is extra calories burned.
    - Take the steps instead of the elevator. If you must take an elevator, do air squats on your way up or down. Don't worry about what people will say or how they look at you.
    - If walking, do a H.I.T. Interval. Meaning pick an object in the distance like a telephone pole and sprint full speed. Do this about 3 times during your walk. It can be as little as 10-20 seconds each time. This is good for your cardiovascular health.

2. "Motivation can only get you so far, discipline will take you across the finish line"
    3. Listen to podcasts that motivate you. the two I listen to is "The Industrial Strength Show" by Joe Defranco. He is a weight training guy but trains elite athletes like NFL football players. You may not be an elite athlete but I get a ton good advice from him. I also listen to the Tim Ferris Show, the author of The 4-hour workweek and The 4-Hour Body. Great advice on health, business and motivation.
  • hilhilbean
    Options
    Olivetop wrote: »
    I'm also looking to lose around 110lbs. I've already lost 20lbs with the help of MFP but just starting to get involve in the community too. Feel free to add me

We seem to have the exact same goals! 110 pounds to lose and 20 pounds down! :)

Adding you!
  • hilhilbean
    Options
    tkremark wrote: »
    Hi, Hillary, I have been using fitness pal for over 2 years. (MY BP got high Thanksgiving 2015) But like many, I stumbled, but probably from one phrase that my wife said to me. I got down to 193 from 220 in April of 2016. Then my wife said to me, "OK, enough, you have lost enough weight!" Instead of challenging her I said OK. I love my wife but remember that there will be people in your life who will feel inadequate when you make progress. Don't let them stop you.

So in 7 months later, you guessed it, on Thanksgiving 2016, my BP went back up. I got on the scale and I gained 20 lbs back. So I got on my routine again, eating less, walking. But this time I used the book The 4-Hour Body by Tim Ferriss and went low carb all week except for Sunday, my cheat day. I eat more protein and guess what, I started lifting weights using a simple app to guide me called "5x5 Stronglifts" Mind you, I am 51 years old and I have not seriously lifted weights since I was a sophomore in high school. I absolutely love lifting weights.
    So here is my advice.

Start with exercise on what you are comfortable with. Mine was walking, then challenge yourself every day to do more. Don't try to eat that elephant all at once. 6 months ago, I would never imagine that i would get into weights.
    Mottos I now live by and it has to do with mindset.
    1. Convenience Kills
    - Park your car as far away from the front door of the grocery store, work, department store and walk. That is extra calories burned.
    - Take the steps instead of the elevator. If you must take an elevator, do air squats on your way up or down. Don't worry about what people will say or how they look at you.
    - If walking, do a H.I.T. Interval. Meaning pick an object in the distance like a telephone pole and sprint full speed. Do this about 3 times during your walk. It can be as little as 10-20 seconds each time. This is good for your cardiovascular health.

2. "Motivation can only get you so far, discipline will take you across the finish line"
    3. Listen to podcasts that motivate you. the two I listen to is "The Industrial Strength Show" by Joe Defranco. He is a weight training guy but trains elite athletes like NFL football players. You may not be an elite athlete but I get a ton good advice from him. I also listen to the Tim Ferris Show, the author of The 4-hour workweek and The 4-Hour Body. Great advice on health, business and motivation.

I've struggled with high blood pressure for about 13 years or so (insanely high...like I'm honest-to-goodness not sure why I'm still alive; I've been hospitalized several times due to it...one of those times was also on Thanksgiving day). I've managed to have really good weight loss progress over the years (best "attempt" was losing 60 pounds (that I've sadly regained).

I'm currently following a strength training program and do cardio every other day...and I'm starting a 5k training program on Monday with my daughter (joy in numbers!).

Thanks for such a detailed response; excellent advice for any newbie to the weight loss rollercoaster! :)
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I'm looking to lose anywhere between 50 and 75 pounds... really depends how I look/feel when I get down there.
  • donaldcole31
    donaldcole31 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    good job! I have about 80 pounds to go! Add me
  • hilhilbean
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I'm looking to lose anywhere between 50 and 75 pounds... really depends how I look/feel when I get down there.

I've got my goal set at the top end of my "healthy weight range"...but I'm just like you, it really depends on what my body feels like when I get closer! :)

Adding you! :)
  • hilhilbean
    Options
    good job! I have about 80 pounds to go! Add me

Adding you!! :)
  • KayleighScott398
    KayleighScott398 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have 117lbs to go and anyone is welcome to add me :)
  • rosiegirl2010
    rosiegirl2010 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

add me, have been trying for a few years. thyroid disease and mobility issues make it a challenge
  • hilhilbean
    Options
    Hi, I have 117lbs to go and anyone is welcome to add me :)

Adding you now! You got this! :)
  • hilhilbean
    Options
    add me, have been trying for a few years. thyroid disease and mobility issues make it a challenge

I can't imagine how rough that must be for you. I just had a few months of partial mobility issues two years ago and that was hard enough!
  • tkremark
    tkremark Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with high blood pressure for about 13 years or so (insanely high...like I'm honest-to-goodness not sure why I'm still alive; I've been hospitalized several times due to it...one of those times was also on Thanksgiving day). I've managed to have really good weight loss progress over the years (best "attempt" was losing 60 pounds (that I've sadly regained).

I'm currently following a strength training program and do cardio every other day...and I'm starting a 5k training program on Monday with my daughter (joy in numbers!).

Thanks for such a detailed response; excellent advice for any newbie to the weight loss rollercoaster! :)[/quote]

Hil Hil,
    Ha ha, I am such a dork. I did not give you detail on my BP. Nov 2015 was pushing 160/95. I have always had good BP. I have never been on any meds, BP, or otherwise. I am 51 and still not on meds. I did not want to get on meds so, I took action. I told my doctor, do not put me down with High BP and do not prescribe anything. So he agreed. In April of 2016, I came back and my bp was below 120/80. He could not believe it. I asked him, what percentage of patients, take the steps I do? He said, "Less than 1% and the rest just want a pill so they can eat what they want."
    So as I said, fast forward to November 2016. My BP went up to 150/85 again. So I had the formula and went into action. Today my reading was 116/77. Once again no meds.

Keep doing what you are doiing.
  • VirginiaMom
    VirginiaMom Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi! Please add me! I really need some serious motivation! I have to lose at least 100 pounds. I've been trying for a few years now.