Does cardio eat away muscle? Is it diet? Is it cardio? Is it GENES?

Options
1235»

Replies

• alexrosader
    alexrosader Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    JB035 wrote: »
    This is the best thread on the board! :smiley:

You bet it is lolololol

Not for the reasons you I disagree; )
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Plenty. They make it fit their macros.

I'm sorry but if you are trying to get a ripped shredded look you won't be able to do that by fitting in a 400-600 calorie slice of pizza

BS.

Many "ripped" individuals will eat foods like pizza, especially on a bulk and even on a cut. It's all about calories.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Not eating enough to maintain is what is eating away at your muscle. You're eating way too little.

This. End of story
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options

I'm sorry but if you are trying to get a ripped shredded look you won't be able to do that by fitting in a 400-600 calorie slice of pizza

Yes, you can. I know competitive bodybuilders who eat this way.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    My good man, I am 7 inches shorter than you, female, weigh 136lbs and do a mere 4-6 hours of cardiovascular stuff a week plus half- Kitten press-ups and such each day. Unless the kitten stands on me, in which case they're full press-ups. I think we can assume you're a lot more muscular than me, yeah?

And I am continuing to lose weight when I stay between 1500 and 2000 calories!

Then your genetics are totally different than Mine, we don't digest food and absorb nutrients the same way, if I stepped it up to 2000 kcal daily I will look like a marshmallow, soft and that's uncomfortable for me. My metabolism is really slow trust me.

You've had it tested in a lab, then?

My metabolism was slow too, when I purged by exercise. Dude, eat more. I had to let myself get overweight before I got healthy enough to lose to a normal weight. I am 48, 5'7" and 160 ish pounds depending on the day. You look underweight because you are.
  • alexrosader
    Options

BS.

Many "ripped" individuals will eat foods like pizza, especially on a bulk and even on a cut. It's all about calories.

When you do it and show me I'll take your word serioiously , for the mean time keep chewing those raw veggies lololo
  • adamconway_667
    adamconway_667 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Id look to re-evaluate a few things in your training and nutrition. Possibly swapping out fats or carbs for a few more grams of protein. Depending on what your aim in the gym is your caloric intake can be as much as over 3000 calories.

In terms of the cardio, i believe a steady pace run (jog) for example doesn't help with muscle growth. You either need to look at high intensity interval training or slow stair master (examples)

Also, patience is a massive thing here. Please dont forget that.
  • alexrosader
    Options
    Id look to re-evaluate a few things in your training and nutrition. Possibly swapping out fats or carbs for a few more grams of protein. Depending on what your aim in the gym is your caloric intake can be as much as over 3000 calories.

In terms of the cardio, i believe a steady pace run (jog) for example doesn't help with muscle growth. You either need to look at high intensity interval training or slow stair master (examples)

Also, patience is a massive thing here. Please dont forget that.

Well thank you
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Like many have said, eating so low is forcing your body to use muscle for energy.

I'd like to point out that the HEART is a muscle.

I'm a 5ft 2 in female and I eat 1500 to lose weight, 1800 for maintenance. I can't imagine why you're starving yourself.
  • alexrosader
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    Like many have said, eating so low is forcing your body to use muscle for energy.

I'm a 5ft 2 in female and I eat 1500 to lose weight, 1800 for maintenance. I can't imagine why you're starving yourself.

I'm Not Starving MySelf I Just Like Feeling Lean And Light During 90 Degree Weather. I have a refeed day that makes everything better.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »

I'm Not Starving MySelf I Just Like Feeling Lean And Light During 90 Degree Weather. I have a refeed day that makes everything better.

So essentially, you don't like a full stomach? If so, you can get more calories by drinking them.