Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Acceptance Movement

Options

Replies

• brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    I'll agree. Being morbidly obese, I don't love myself, and that's hard on the emotions especially when you're trying to lose weight (why should I bother, I'm *insert negative statement*). We should love ourselves for who we are, not what we look at. That does not mean that just because we love ourselves we should ignore health concerns, no matter the size.

The fact that you're "bothering" to lose weight - is because you love yourself. You don't have to love the way you look at the moment. That's ok. You just have to love yourself enough to want to do better for yourself.

Weight loss is never easy. When you're stripping down the layers - literally... it's when you find out more about yourself than you likely knew before.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    True, but I want to be slender like in college days again in hopes it will rejuvenate my spirit as well as help my health...
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    I'll agree. Being morbidly obese, I don't love myself, and that's hard on the emotions especially when you're trying to lose weight (why should I bother, I'm *insert negative statement*). We should love ourselves for who we are, not what we look at. That does not mean that just because we love ourselves we should ignore health concerns, no matter the size.

Is this really true or do you not love the behavior? In a sort of 'love the sinner, hate the sin' way. We personalize our behavior to the point where it becomes destructive.

I can't get too wrapped up in aesthetics as this is all fleeting. Love yourself and others for who they are and what they do, not what they look like.
  • antinomiancelestial
    antinomiancelestial Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    @Afura - Interesting. It sounds like you draw a distinction between loving ourselves and loving aspects of ourselves that are unhealthy. That's a good way of looking at it, in my opinion.

@brittyn3 - Obese children are really sad to see. In addition to the bullying they deal with, obese children are set up for a lifetime of unhealthy eating. It's confusing to me sometimes how parents don't see their children becoming much, much heavier than their peers and start to realize that something's wrong. I can see not noticing a problem in oneself, but once people pass unhealthy behaviors onto their children, I start to wonder how they just don't see it.

@CSARdiver - That's interesting information, although I still think that doctors should be willing to take complaints from larger patients seriously rather than dismissing everything as weight-related. I've heard of people having undiagnosed tumors, even, because doctors just assumed whatever was wrong had to do with weight/could wait to be dealt with until the person was thinner.

@tomteboda - That's definitely true. I'm not sure what the right answer is when both obesity and the measures taken to eliminate obesity can be full of pathology/unhealthy thinking.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    @Afura - Interesting. It sounds like you draw a distinction between loving ourselves and loving aspects of ourselves that are unhealthy. That's a good way of looking at it, in my opinion.

@brittyn3 - Obese children are really sad to see. In addition to the bullying they deal with, obese children are set up for a lifetime of unhealthy eating. It's confusing to me sometimes how parents don't see their children becoming much, much heavier than their peers and start to realize that something's wrong. I can see not noticing a problem in oneself, but once people pass unhealthy behaviors onto their children, I start to wonder how they just don't see it.

@CSARdiver - That's interesting information, although I still think that doctors should be willing to take complaints from larger patients seriously rather than dismissing everything as weight-related. I've heard of people having undiagnosed tumors, even, because doctors just assumed whatever was wrong had to do with weight/could wait to be dealt with until the person was thinner.

@tomteboda - That's definitely true. I'm not sure what the right answer is when both obesity and the measures taken to eliminate obesity can be full of pathology/unhealthy thinking.

How serious does one take complaints based on false information? When a patient comes in not "feeling right" and is 200 lbs overweight how do you make an informed diagnosis? The additional weight masks what is going on the body and dramatically increases the challenge of making an accurate diagnosis. Don't blame a symptom of the root cause because the root cause is politically incorrect to address.

I recommend anyone spend time working in a free clinic before weighing in on this. You want an insight into what's wrong with healthcare volunteer at a free clinic for two weeks. You can be trained as a pre-screener in a few hours and taking vitals and information to relay to the physicians.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I don't watch medical shows but I'm curious how often shows like House M.D. discuss obesity, it's impact, and how it can be tamed.

Any medical drama fans out there?
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    I don't watch medical shows but I'm curious how often shows like House M.D. discuss obesity, it's impact, and how it can be tamed.

As I recall, only once, and that was with a HAES style patient who was completely immobile and depicted from a very HAES viewpoint - House had to treat him without focusing on the obesity at all, and of course it ends up that obesity to the point of immobility doesn't cause this guy's health problem.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »

As I recall, only once, and that was with a HAES style patient who was completely immobile and depicted from a very HAES viewpoint - House had to treat him without focusing on the obesity at all, and of course it ends up that obesity to the point of immobility doesn't cause this guy's health problem.

Yea, someone slogging it out and losing weight over six months, then coming off there meds doesn't make good drama, though it is dramatic.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    House isn't on anymore, but the concept was someone with a weird inexplicable ailment that no one else could figure out, but House eventually did (while being as offputting as possible to everyone and chumming around with his pal from Dead Poet's Society). He's, of course, a Holmes figure. (Eventually it went off the rails, IMO, so I don't really know what happened in the later seasons.) Point is that dealing with obesity-caused health issues would not really be on the agenda.

Many of the rest seem to focus on emergency type things or crazy surgeries, but then I don't really watch any of the current ones. (I watched most of ER, back in the day.)
  • KassLea22
    KassLea22 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am a thin person, but I can see the positive side of the movement. I don't think anyone should spend their life miserable and hating themselves no matter what they look like or what weight they are. So in a way I feel like this movement gives people a support network and self-confidence. However on the flipside of that, in my personal opinion this movement leads to exclusion and enabling mindsets. I've heard it a million times: thin doesn't mean healthy. And that is true to an extent, but if you are closer to a normal weight you're more likely to be all around healthier. And although it's not the intent I don't believe, that statement comes off as very belittling to those of us who are thinner. How other people live their lives really does not affect me, but I do have my own personal opinions about them. Personally I think everyone should be striving to led a healthy, Active life. When you're healthy you are less likely to develop serious health complications, you'll live longer, you will be able to do more things, and studies have proven that mental health will be better. From an outside perspective, this movement enables overweight people to not lose weight and that it's okay to be obese. And to be honest, talking strictly healthwise, it's not OK to be Obese. I'm all about body positivity and not shaming anyone no matter what they look like, but I also think it's important to be realistic. And to me this movement tells people that it's not important to be healthy. I feel like people turn to this movement when they have given up because it enables the mindset that they don't need to be thinner and almost is an easy way out. But again, I've never struggled with weight so in a way I feel like I probably have a skewed perspective. I think a lot of people probably do use this movement as a support network while they are losing weight, but you can't ignore that some people are enabled. I think you can love yourself and want to pursue a healthier lifestyle at the same time. But again this is just my personal opinion from an outside perspective,
  • FatPorkyChop
    FatPorkyChop Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    How serious does one take complaints based on false information? When a patient comes in not "feeling right" and is 200 lbs overweight how do you make an informed diagnosis? The additional weight masks what is going on the body and dramatically increases the challenge of making an accurate diagnosis. Don't blame a symptom of the root cause because the root cause is politically incorrect to address.

This actually just makes me see red. I got to a point I nearly died because of this. You see, I have systemic lupus erythematosus. However, Over the last 20 years the number of doctors who dismissed all of my symptoms and problems as being due to my weight was tremendous. I quit going to see any doctor for any reason unless I thought I was going to die.

I was completely incapacitated by weakness two years ago. It turned out I had pericarditis (inflammation of the heart). But because I'd heard from SO MANY DOCTORS "your problem is you are fat" I didn't go in until I couldn't stay awake more than 4 hours a day. I feel incredibly lucky the doctor listened that day.

I don't think I would've survived to lose weight, which really became greatly eased by finally getting on proper medication for my until-then ENTIRELY UNTREATED lupus.

I want to add that I heard "you're fat, lose weight" even at 5'11" - 180 lbs , rather than getting medical treatment for conditions as diverse as mononucleosis and pneumonia. I can't blame a town because these experiences happened in several states and different regions of the country.

My mom experienced the same kind of blatant discrimination for years, and I recall when she developed Cushing's Disease, rather than taking her symptoms seriously, she was told, to her face, in front of her children "Stop eating like a pig. You're a hypochondriac".

That makes me want to scream, it is soo appalling !!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Berkgal33 wrote: »
    Nonsense. Humans mentally judge each other; it's built into us.

1. I see no reason to give someone crap for their choice to be overfat to the point of self-destruction.
    2. It doesn't make it less dangerous to be overfat.

None of those things force people to take in more calories than they burn. If you gain weight, it's because you've chosen to consume more than you need.

Weight gain is a choice. Weight loss is a choice. Maintaining is a choice. Every food item that passes your lips is a choice to ingest those calories.

Medicine and medical conditions can make it more difficult, but what you eat is *always* still a choice.

[/quote]

This.
    [/quote]

This view of obesity is very wrong from a medical point of view.

Next to no one sits down and Decides to be come Obese.

"Choice" can be hidden from a person through physical and mental abuse over time.

Only counting calories can not fix physical and mental health under lying obesity causes but it can be a good stop gap measure.