"You can eat whaver you want, as long as you eat at a deficit" is true, but it's garbage advice.

Replies

• JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    I think I'd agree with the OP in this form: eating *kitten* junk food isn't worth it. Does life include pizza? Hell-mothertruckin'-yeah it does! Does life include Dominos pizza? That would depend on how unbelievably intoxicated I am, because man, that stuff just is NOT worth it.

I don't think I could go my whole life without junk food or high-calorie food or whatever their definition is; however, on a general level, I totally agree that I am more satisfied (and feel a lot better in every sense of the word) when I eat real foods. I quit doing the Keto thing, but I still think I feel better when I eat fewer carbohydrates (except for plants... because excluding plants from your diet is pretty counter to... well... life).
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    jdb3388 wrote: »
    You guys just take every single word someone writes literally, to the t. I don't mean that you have to spend the rest of your life not eating things you enjoy. I also don't mean that you can NEVER have things you enjoy, or that are calorie dense. What I do mean, and was obvious in the original post, that is if you aren't just looking for something to complain about, is that dieting under the idea that "you can have whatever, so long as it fits in your calorie count" is not an effective long term solution because MOST people, especially larger people, run out of calories waaaaay before they become satiated. If you are a 135lb woman that's 5'9 which I think was an example somewhere in this thread, and you're only eating at a 500 calorie deficit, no *kitten* you are gonna be full before you run out of calories. You're small, even if you aren't at your "goal" you are going to feel satiated. If you are the kind of person who is accustomed to eating 3500-4000 calories a day and your prescribed amount is 2500, there is absolutely NO WAY that you can eat the calorie dense foods you enjoy, but at a lower quantity, and not be absolutely starving to death. Which will lead to a derailment in most people. Contrary to popular belief, will power is not a dominant trait. So there you go, here's another post for you guys to pick apart to for *kitten* that is obviously not what I meant.

I just wanted to point out the bolded IS how some people moderate some foods.

It is also how SOME people fit in "what they want".

"What I want" shouldn't be confused with
    "how much"
    "how often"
    or
    "to hell with overall nutrition"

Just as you don't want your words taken too literally and you have to explain further what you mean should help you to see that "eating whatever I want" may have a slightly different meaning than you are interpreting it as.

• BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    This is my interpretation of the original post:

That it's true that you can eat small amounts of high calorie foods and stay under your calories for the day, BUT that it's bad advice to give to someone just starting out, because if they get ravenously hungry they are more likely to fail. And the more small-in-volume, high-calorie foods you eat, the less high-in-volume, low calorie foods you can eat in a given day (while staying true to your calorie goal.)

My personal opinion is that it depends on the person. Some will do better if they eat 90 calories worth of carrots for a snack (three large carrots), while others will do better if they eat a Reese's peanut butter egg with the same amount of calories.

I do remember that when I first started calorie counting, I would get RAVENOUSLY, unbearably hungry, and would "crack" a lot of the time. The first week was the worst.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    People don't want to eat 1 slice of pizza, or a 1/4 of a plate of Loco Rice, or 7 chili cheese fries. They want to have a meal. If you eat the "right amount" of junk food to stay within your calorie limits, you're going to be starving to death and it's going to cause you to eat more. Eating food that doesn't taste as good as what you want is much better than satisfying a craving and then derailing later because you were so hungry you caved. There are a few people around here who have done their time, lost their weight, and they are in good shape. These people give advice from the "look at me, I lost a ton of weight so I know what I'm doing" stand point, but seem to have forgotten what it was like to ACTUALLY live as a fat person. So when someone tells you you can have junk food, don't listen to them, not because they are lying to you - they aren't, it's true - but because the advice isn't helpful in practice.
    Really? I have success rates with ALL my clients and I don't preach eating "clean" at all. In fact, I do tell them to eat whatever they like AS LONG AS they don't exceed the calorie intake set for them. Do you know why people fail at diets? Because they usually are restricted from eating things they actually like. If one LEARNS how to control how much of something like eat, then the chances are higher that they will adhere to that habitual behavior.
    Sorry if you can't do it, but that's an issue you deal with that you have to fix. Unless you have some actual peer reviewed clinical study that one CAN'T be taught moderation, you're just opining what you believe.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I scratch my head when you say eat what you want.....and then show what experience you have for 30 years in nutrition.
    I'm not a know it all, don't claim anything. Just kinda seemed strange, with all the bad food's out there. All the preservatives and crap they put in food now days. Maybe it's a 2 step process, lose weight by eating your favorite foods at less calories then maybe changing over to clean later on after you lose the weight.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    jmp463 wrote: »
    Well done OP - well done. Hook line and sinker.

I'm not sure I follow. What are you suggesting?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    jmp463 wrote: »
    Well done OP - well done. Hook line and sinker.

I'm not sure I follow. What are you suggesting?

I think he's saying we all fed the troll :blush:
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    ccsernica wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    People don't want to eat 1 slice of pizza, or a 1/4 of a plate of Loco Rice, or 7 chili cheese fries. They want to have a meal. If you eat the "right amount" of junk food to stay within your calorie limits, you're going to be starving to death and it's going to cause you to eat more. Eating food that doesn't taste as good as what you want is much better than satisfying a craving and then derailing later because you were so hungry you caved. There are a few people around here who have done their time, lost their weight, and they are in good shape. These people give advice from the "look at me, I lost a ton of weight so I know what I'm doing" stand point, but seem to have forgotten what it was like to ACTUALLY live as a fat person. So when someone tells you you can have junk food, don't listen to them, not because they are lying to you - they aren't, it's true - but because the advice isn't helpful in practice.
    Really? I have success rates with ALL my clients and I don't preach eating "clean" at all. In fact, I do tell them to eat whatever they like AS LONG AS they don't exceed the calorie intake set for them. Do you know why people fail at diets? Because they usually are restricted from eating things they actually like. If one LEARNS how to control how much of something like eat, then the chances are higher that they will adhere to that habitual behavior.
    Sorry if you can't do it, but that's an issue you deal with that you have to fix. Unless you have some actual peer reviewed clinical study that one CAN'T be taught moderation, you're just opining what you believe.

I have been trying, fruitlessly, to get my sister-in-law to stop with the ascetic diets where she cuts out all the foods she likes -- she's decided to "give up carbs" for Lent, for instance. Sure, she loses weight, but only to pack it all right back on when she's done. Why? Her diets do not allow her to develop sustainable habits. Once she goes back to eating her favorite foods, she also goes back to eating her old portion sizes. No surprise there.

Interesting. I gave up carbs 4 years ago. I have never found a more sustainable way of eating. I do not feel like I'm missing out on anything by not putting crap into my body. My diet is healthy and varied and full of delicious good quality food. I honestly can't say there's anything I miss. I would argue that "going on a diet" but still eating all the foods that made you fat in the first place is not sustainable. In fact, I tried it for 20 years, and it didn't work.
This discussion has been closed.