March 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - Sorry to hear that. Hope you're back in form quickly!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - Sorry to hear that. Hope you're back in form quickly!

Thanks. Good news is that I can normally bounce back quickly once healthy, so I'm hoping that, after taking this week off, I'll be healthy enough to get some running in next week and they work up my endurance. There's time to get back into form, but I won't be going fast, that's for sure.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for March
    3/1 5 miles - 5
    3/2 10 miles - 15
    3/3 3.1 miles - 18.1
    3/4 20 miles - 38.1
    3/5 REST DAY
    3/6 7 miles - 45.1
    3/7 7 miles - 52.1
    3/8 REST DAY
    3/9 7 miles - 59.1
    3/10 REST DAY
    3/11 14 miles - 73.1
    3/12 REST DAY
    3/13 10 miles - 83.1
    3/14 10 miles - 93.1
    3/15 REST DAY
    3/16 10 miles - 103.1
    3/17 3.1 miles - 106.2
    3/18 18 miles - 124.2
    3/19 REST DAY
    3/20 10 miles - 134.2
    3/21 10 miles - 144.2
    3/22 6.2 miles - 150.4

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10 << 2:44:41
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Marathon - 4/29

Recovery 10K this morning.
    I wanted to attempt to do some speed work last night but the weather was not cooperating.
    Severe thunderstorm warning with high wind gusts.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @girlinahat - Since I'm currently wearing Kinvara 6's, and I've demo'd 7's, I'm pleased to hear the 8's did well with puddles. Eventually, those will come into my rotation. As far as a first marathon, dreams are good. Turning a dream of a marathon into reality is a long road. Take your time, and build your capability gradually to be sure you're ready. Getting there is more important than getting there soon.

@MNLittleFinn - You're experiencing what none of the canned marathon training plans mention: Life Happens, and you have to adjust for it. You'll get there, though it may help to scale down your time expectations. As long as you finish, the first marathon is a PR.

Some great words of wisdom here. Glad to see you back @MNLittleFinn
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @dkabambe Sorry to hear about your fall. I seem to be a pro at falling. Fortunately no major damage so far. Hope the bruising isn't too bad.

@girlinahat Loved the pics from your hike!! Glad to hear about your marathon dreams. I never thought I'd run a marathon even 1 year ago, but I did it!

@MNLittleFinn Sorry to hear you got so sick, but glad it's turning around for you. I'm sure you'll bounce back quick.

@Elise4270 I just realized it's less than 2 weeks until our race/hike meet up!! Yay!! I can't wait to meet you!! :smiley:

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

MobyCarp wrote: »
    @girlinahat - Since I'm currently wearing Kinvara 6's, and I've demo'd 7's, I'm pleased to hear the 8's did well with puddles. Eventually, those will come into my rotation. As far as a first marathon, dreams are good. Turning a dream of a marathon into reality is a long road. Take your time, and build your capability gradually to be sure you're ready. Getting there is more important than getting there soon.

thanks for your words of wisdom. The marathon I am thinking about is in June next year, and registration opens in September. This years race has a 7h 40minute cut off...

My plan so far is to do the two half marathons I'm signed up for, and also a couple of 12 hour races for fun - the 12 hours are laps, each lap being around a 10k, and as long as you do one lap you get a medal, so they'll be good training for pushing a little bit further if I feel like it on the day. I will have some thinking time between now and September to consider whether I really want to do it. I'm not aiming for any kind of time, I'm aiming to have fun running round the hillside (technically running round an Ancient Monument, on a hill)

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat -Those are some amazing photos. Looks like a great hike.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp @Stoshew71 Thanks for the encouragement. I'm looking at this setback as a learning experience. I am forced to temper my expectations, and just finishing is my goal now, as it always should have been. I have time to get in shape to finish, it'll just be more of an uphill climb. Oh well, learning is growing.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @BEERRUNNER yup! Best I'm hoping for is that I'm not any worse off between now and then! We flew over Ft Worth Monday and I waved at you. You see me? It was about 215ish. Haha! I said "oh look! That's where we're gonna run".
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    3/1 - cross-training - strength training
    3/2 - 7 mile general aerobic run (Holy wind Batman!)
    3/3 - 8 mile general aerobic run
    3/4 - cross-training - zumba
    3/5 - 11 mile long run
    3/6 - rest
    3/7 - 5 mile general aerobic run w/6x :12 sec (gentle) uphills
    3/8 - rest - sick
    3/9 - 4 miles - still sick
    3/10 - cross-training - strength training
    3/11 - cross-trainng - zumba
    3/12 - 6 mile dreadmill run - only 2 coughing bouts and 3 tissues used
    3/13 - cross-training - strength training
    3/14 - shoveling
    3/15 - 5 mile dreadmill run
    3/16 - 7 miles (huzzah, finally a decent distance again!)
    3/17 - 8 miles
    3/18 - cross-training - zumba
    3/19 - 12 mile long run
    3/20 - rest
    3/21 - 7 mile dreadmill run
    3/22 - 8 mile general aerobic run (Holy. Wind. Batman.) + cross-training - strength training

March Total: 88/145

296 miles/2,017 miles - goal for the year

WOW. Today was, hands down, the most ridiculous wind I have ever run in. We have an active Wind Advisory, with 20-30mph winds and gusts up to 40mph. The wind was definitely fairly sustained today, and the whole first half of my run it really beat me up. For the first time ever I actually had to struggle against the wind for some stretches even as I was running gently downhill. That was a first! Lol. I may have cursed out loud into the wind at one point just to vent my amazement/frustration :D Tonight I still need to get some strength training in, we'll see how my legs feel doing squats after being beaten up by the windy conditions today, lol.

@BeeerRunner yeah, I'm gonna have to switch to mornings at some point. Once I get into my marathon training in the summer and fall I'm going to have weekday medium-long runs up to 13 miles. Dreading how early I'm gonna have to get up to get those in! :s

@7lenny7 yeah, I mostly credit my easy adjustment to the 0mm drops so far to the fact that I'm a mid- to forefoot striker. I really feel like it reduces the impact of running.