What food's calories have you been shocked by?

Options

Replies

• jroy1999
    jroy1999 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    WadeLam wrote: »
    Chorizo sausage.

I haven't eaten it since November when the last of my sausage casserole was removed from the freezer!

Using a lot of smoked paprika in other foods though.j

And this is why I love this site...smoked paprika? Never even imagined such a thing existed and it sounds fantastic!!

Smoked Paprika will change your life.

Are you for serious?! SMOKED paprika?! I need to sit down...

I use that stuff in everything that calls for just general paprika-- so amazing!

• ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Cheese and pasta was huge for me because the portions are super small. A few weeks ago I wanted a butter tart when I was at a gas station and the one tart had 650 calories. I didn't get it but man I'm glad I saw that.
  • TreesOfYavanna
    TreesOfYavanna Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Rice. Holy crap. Now I know how I packed on the pounds after my celiac diagnosis.
  • HoldTheDoor13
    HoldTheDoor13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    Pastries in general - but especially pie crust. I love to cook and the fact that flour is so calorie rich is bad enough, but add shortening and .... WOW! And I love pie. :'( I love fruit pies, and cream pies, and savory meat pies. Mmmm. Pie! :p Forget sugar substitutes, someone make me a shortening substitute!

I highly recommend you give Greek yoghurt pastry a go. Mix ~ 1.5 parts flour of your choice with 1 part full fat Greek yoghurt and a dash of salt. I've made great pie crust, empanadas shells, sweet pastries etc. using this method. Extra protein too!

• STC02
    STC02 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Milk!!!
    Also I was shocked at only 70 cals in a KFC hot wing :D
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I've been surprised (in a good way) over the calories in cotton candy, meringue cookies, and egg whites. I assumed cotton candy would have been terrible but was surprised to see that a tub might only be 100-150 calories! Also, I knew egg whites were a healthy option but I was shocked how many are in a 100 calorie portion! Very filling! Fudge isn't AS bad as I was expecting either, honestly! All the nut butters, however? Forget about it. No longer worth it!
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »
    I've been surprised (in a good way) over the calories in cotton candy, meringue cookies, and egg whites. I assumed cotton candy would have been terrible but was surprised to see that a tub might only be 100-150 calories! Also, I knew egg whites were a healthy option but I was shocked how many are in a 100 calorie portion! Very filling! Fudge isn't AS bad as I was expecting either, honestly! All the nut butters, however? Forget about it. No longer worth it!

Great Value (Walmart) Reduced Fat peanut spread is quite good. I don't know who makes it for them (ConAgra?), but it is my favorite by far (Previous was Earth Balance Coconut)

*ConAgra would make it similar to Peter Pan, I guess.
  • ItsNotLost23
    ItsNotLost23 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    PicNdazy wrote: »
    Air! Because everything I enjoy eating, I inhale like I am just gulping in air..before I know it, I have inhaled a couple hundred calories!

lmao when i inhale its a good 1k calories
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend you give Greek yoghurt pastry a go. Mix ~ 1.5 parts flour of your choice with 1 part full fat Greek yoghurt and a dash of salt. I've made great pie crust, empanadas shells, sweet pastries etc. using this method. Extra protein too!

AWESOME! I'll try it! Thanks SO much!
  • diana_1974
    diana_1974 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    beer. sigh. switched to wine. sad.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    300 calories in pop tarts. No thank you. I'll save my calories for chocolate cake. The number of carbs in beans, meatloaf, beef stew, etc.
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Cooking oil...
    Even conola oil is still 120 cals per tbsp.
    Heck, I will just cook with spaghetti sauce instead.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Nuts and nut butters
  • pennyrlafleur
    pennyrlafleur Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was shocked by the calories/sugar in my coffee creamer & Milk. I switched to using Muscle Milk Lite Vanilla as my "creamer" and have cut a huge amount of calories/sugar from my diet. So thankful for a friend sharing her strategy!
  • pennyrlafleur
    Options
    SRH7 wrote: »
    Milk is another one - I drink coffee from a pint latte mug with half milk (homemade). Even skimmed milk adds up. Now I log all the milk I'm going to have during the day so I can adjust other meals to accommodate my addiction to frothy coffee!

Try using a premixed protein drink for creamer. It has saved me a massive amount of calories and sugar!
  • pennyrlafleur
    Options
    Sushi
    Cheesecake (cheesecake factory 1200+calories!!!!)
    Homemade chicken noodle/rice soup
    Rice Bran Oil and Olive Oil
    Butter (and I refuse to use plastic a.k.a margerine)
    Veggie Burger
    Shawarma
    Tim Horton's Panini sandwich
    My morning coffee (until I adjusted it to almond milk instead of 1/2 and 1/2 cream)
    buttercream icing
    Chicken alfredo pasta (with whole wheat noodles HOLY CRAP! 700+)

I'm sure there's more but, seriously... wtheck???

Try using a premixed protein drink for creamer:) I love Muscle Milk Lite Vanilla in my coffee. Huge difference in calories/sugar.
  • kbrouthers
    kbrouthers Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Cashews
    I love Cashews but when I looked at the calories I put the can away and didn't eat any
  • i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR
    i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR Posts: 3,308 Member
    Options
    Nuts, granola, trail mix, nut butters, and wine .... also some salads at restaurants that sound so light... often end up being more caloric than a hamburger!!!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed how low calories are in pork. I mean, 6oz of pork loin is only 265kcals, whaaaaat? Deli ham, and Canadian bacon are very low. Even real bacon is only about 50kcals a slice (of course, I could eat 10). It's amazing.

On the other hand, as said above, nuts and nut butters may be very good for you, but, wow, do they pack calories. You need to use the scale when you eat them.