Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is the 'fat acceptance' movement a good thing?

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Sorry I can't read this whole thread, but a lot depends on what you mean by acceptance. Today's society considers it politically correct to recognize and accommodate differences, so it would be wrong to criticize those who are fat. BUT we are also now a lot more intelligent and know that too much fat on a person is unhealthy, and is therefore a medical issue.

In my location there has been an annual Big and Beautiful contest running for 15 years now, and every year there is contentious debate about how it is promoting fatness. In actual fact, I think it is an ideal opportunity for fat ladies to feel good about themselves rather than hiding from negative elements around them.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    In my location there has been an annual Big and Beautiful contest running for 15 years now, and every year there is contentious debate about how it is promoting fatness. In actual fact, I think it is an ideal opportunity for fat ladies to feel good about themselves rather than hiding from negative elements around them.

How does being a fetish object help someone feel good about themselves in a positive way?

On 'My 600-lb Life' one woman said she would get free travel to resort conventions for that group, she was then in her 20's and said they treated her like a beauty queen. Fast forward a decade and she's struggling to take care of her child, not on a path to see her girl graduate from High School let alone enjoy grand kids. Her mate picked her because of her size and was very unsupportive of her losing weight to improve her health. No solid relationship is built on a fetish.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »

How does being a fetish object help someone feel good about themselves in a positive way?

On 'My 600-lb Life' one woman said she would get free travel to resort conventions for that group, she was then in her 20's and said they treated her like a beauty queen. Fast forward a decade and she's struggling to take care of her child, not on a path to see her girl graduate from High School let alone enjoy grand kids. Her mate picked her because of her size and was very unsupportive of her losing weight to improve her health. No solid relationship is built on a fetish.

You could argue all beauty pageants are built in the fetishizement of particular body types.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Theo166 wrote: »

You could argue all beauty pageants are built in the fetishizement of particular body types.

This is true, but who goes to a beauty pageant, expecting or even trying to pick up a partner from the line-up? I mean, I'm sure such creepers exist, but you get my point.
  • tomteboda
    Options
    This is true, but who goes to a beauty pageant, expecting or even trying to pick up a partner from the line-up? I mean, I'm sure such creepers exist, but you get my point.

Actually, it's pretty common and generally not considered creepy because the women are considered conventionally beautiful.

I had a friend who refused to date women whose hopes were larger than his.. And he wore a 28" Jean. He was considered particular by most, but again, because tiny women are conventionally attractive, his very restrictive criteria wouldn't have been labeled a fetish, nor would people assume the relationship one - dimensional.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options

Actually, it's pretty common and generally not considered creepy because the women are considered conventionally beautiful.

I had a friend who refused to date women whose hopes were larger than his.. And he wore a 28" Jean. He was considered particular by most, but again, because tiny women are conventionally attractive, his very restrictive criteria wouldn't have been labeled a fetish, nor would people assume the relationship one - dimensional.

Are tiny women really considered conventionally attractive though ? Just asking because,as someone who until recently has been "tiny "( not medically underweight but skinny looking nevertheless),I've had criticism from men as well as women. My experience has been that men actually prefer heavier women (though I'm aware that's over-generalising )
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

I really don't know why you are referring to personal preferences as "fetish". When speaking about sexual attraction, fetishism refers to being obsessed with objects or parts of the body that are not genitals.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Are tiny women really considered conventionally attractive though ? Just asking because,as someone who until recently has been "tiny "( not medically underweight but skinny looking nevertheless),I've had criticism from men as well as women. My experience has been that men actually prefer heavier women (though I'm aware that's over-generalising )

I'd chalk this variance from both ends up to "grass is always greener" syndrome. We tend to remember the negative things far more than the positive.
  • FatPorkyChop
    FatPorkyChop Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think the issue is food and not ppl. We glorify food. There are foodies. People go out to eat as an event.

And plenty of those people are not overweight. The biggest foodies I know are all a healthy weight.

I couldn't agree more.... I love love food and I am slim as well as many of my friends (junk food only taste like salt to me and personally I don't like it I usually eat real food and cook elaborate meals...). Food isn't evil and is not the ennemy. Overweight/ Obsese people usually have issues and food unfortunately "help" them dealing with them. They just need help...
  • tomteboda
    edited March 2017
    Options

No one is protected from rude comments from other people, either from contempt, jealousy or just cluelessness. But femininity has a very strong association with smaller stature and smaller frame size in the majority of modern cultures. While being tall or large is associated with strength, intelligence, and capability, being small or petite is associated with being nurturing, gentle, or caring. Any individual may find various things attractive, but in general the physical traits most modern societies assign as "feminine" correlate with the fact that on average most women are smaller than most men. That is not to dismiss any challenges shorter women face due to their stature. Only to point out that it is not considered sexually deviant to desire smaller women.

bbsv4xl840ga.png

Height and frame are far from the only things that determine a particular person's physical attractiveness to the opposite gender (facial symmetry, waist-to-hip ratio, overall figure, muscle tone, skin quality, eye clarity, hair, etc). It may be too that when you heard men say they preferred heavier women, what they were really saying was "I like breasts and butts" (that's that waist-to-hip ratio thing there). There have been a large number of studies showing that men say they prefer curvy women, which is not exclusionary by height (both petite and large-framed women can be curvy).

As a side note, its fortunate for all of us that most partner-selection is not limited to those considered physically ideal by a majority of people. And it's pretty remarkable how personality traits can color the perception of physical appearance.
  • tomteboda
    Options
    I'd chalk this variance from both ends up to "grass is always greener" syndrome. We tend to remember the negative things far more than the positive.

You may have something. I'm admittedly tall. very tall. In fact, before I developed scoliosis, my height was buried in the top 0.5% of women in height. But I've lived where my height was pretty normal for a woman, and where it was of absolutely gigantic proportions, and I definitely got treated a LOT differently by men where almost all women were very short, and not in a good way.
  • KassLea22
    KassLea22 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I wrote this on a similar topic and I stand by it:

I am a thin person, but I can see the positive side of the movement. I don't think anyone should spend their life miserable and hating themselves no matter what they look like or what weight they are. So in a way I feel like this movement gives people a support network and self-confidence. However on the flipside of that, in my personal opinion this movement leads to exclusion and enabling mindsets. I've heard it a million times: thin doesn't mean healthy. And that is true to an extent, but if you are closer to a normal weight you're more likely to be all around healthier. And although it's not the intent I don't believe, that statement comes off as very belittling to those of us who are thinner. How other people live their lives really does not affect me, but I do have my own personal opinions about them. Personally I think everyone should be striving to led a healthy, Active life. When you're healthy you are less likely to develop serious health complications, you'll live longer, you will be able to do more things, and studies have proven that mental health will be better. From an outside perspective, this movement enables overweight people to not lose weight and that it's okay to be obese. And to be honest, talking strictly healthwise, it's not OK to be Obese. I'm all about body positivity and not shaming anyone no matter what they look like, but I also think it's important to be realistic. And to me this movement tells people that it's not important to be healthy. I feel like people turn to this movement when they have given up because it enables the mindset that they don't need to be thinner and almost is an easy way out. But again, I've never struggled with weight so in a way I feel like I probably have a skewed perspective. I think a lot of people probably do use this movement as a support network while they are losing weight, but you can't ignore that some people are enabled. I think you can love yourself and want to pursue a healthier lifestyle at the same time. But again this is just my personal opinion from an outside perspective,
  • KassLea22
    KassLea22 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I think the issue is food and not ppl. We glorify food. There are foodies. People go out to eat as an event.

I think to an extent that is a good point. I think people who are overweight and people who are of healthy weight just view food in a completely different way.