Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Elementary School Gym teachers telling kids to restrict calories!

Replies

• BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    kids counting calories is ridiculous, limit the PlayStation , phone , tv , Netflix , kick the kid outside to play. I ate 6 devil dogs a day , peanut chews 6 meals a day . But I was outside running , biking , and playing kickball until the street lights came on
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I agree PE needs to be a bigger element in everyday school life. Kids in the UK also have break time and lunch time in which, unless it's raining or snowing, kids go outside and run around twice a day. Is it the same in the US?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Crisseyda wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    My son is in cub scouts, and they had to learn about calorie counting for a recent badge. He's in fourth grade, and has no concept of obesity, weight loss, or calorie counting. They tracked calories for a week. They talked about how many calories were in what types of foods.

I think it is absolute hogwash. It's worse than worthless; it is truly damaging advice. However, I didn't try to say anything about it during his scouts meeting. I know that the vast majority of people are largely misinformed. At home, I make up for this mainstream garbage by sharing evidence-based nutrition information. Calories are a meaningless measurement, based on no concrete evidence concerning human physiology. No calorie study ever has shown that people actually lose or gain weight in direct proportion to calories-in-calories-out.

I teach my children how to distinguish real, nutrient-dense food from processed, nutrient-poor foods. How to avoid the latter in order to avoid both obesity and a whole slew of chronic illnesses. I teach them how to enjoy the rich and wholesome foods given to us by nature. I also cook almost every meal and pack their lunches at school. IMO, children should not be learning industry-sponsored dogma to count calories, they should be learning sound nutritional principles for understanding what their growing bodies need--however, if we were to do that, we wouldn't turn them into hungry little obesity-prone consumers of cheap, but profitable processed foods.
    Based upon the bolded, you're not sharing evidence-based nutrition information with your children. At all.

In addition to the 148 studies annotated in the link above, here is research review which thoroughly discusses energy balance and many of the physiological, psychological and sociological factors which impact weight gain/loss. Note, however, that it relies fundamentally upon the irrefutable principles of energy balance: https://sites.uni.edu/dolgener/UG_Sport_Nutrition/Articles/Energy_Balance.pdf

Gatorade Sport Science Institute! LMAO

You still haven't indicated your sources. I would truly be interested. I believe CICO is the biggest single determinate of weight gain or loss but nutrient density is key to overall health.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    I agree PE needs to be a bigger element in everyday school life. Kids in the UK also have break time and lunch time in which, unless it's raining or snowing, kids go outside and run around twice a day. Is it the same in the US?

Our students only get 15 minutes of total recess daily. It's appalling.
  • VintageFeline
    tomteboda wrote: »

Wow! How on earth can kids be expected to concentrate all day with just a quick break? Are they expected to eat lunch in that time? It's more than an hour total breaks as a minimum here generally I think (I don't have kids myself but have friends who do). School day is ish 9-3.
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member

My son is in cub scouts, and they had to learn about calorie counting for a recent badge. He's in fourth grade, and has no concept of obesity, weight loss, or calorie counting. They tracked calories for a week. They talked about how many calories were in what types of foods.

I think it is absolute hogwash. It's worse than worthless; it is truly damaging advice. However, I didn't try to say anything about it during his scouts meeting. I know that the vast majority of people are largely misinformed. At home, I make up for this mainstream garbage by sharing evidence-based nutrition information. Calories are a meaningless measurement, based on no concrete evidence concerning human physiology. No calorie study ever has shown that people actually lose or gain weight in direct proportion to calories-in-calories-out.

I teach my children how to distinguish real, nutrient-dense food from processed, nutrient-poor foods. How to avoid the latter in order to avoid both obesity and a whole slew of chronic illnesses. I teach them how to enjoy the rich and wholesome foods given to us by nature. I also cook almost every meal and pack their lunches at school. IMO, children should not be learning industry-sponsored dogma to count calories, they should be learning sound nutritional principles for understanding what their growing bodies need--however, if we were to do that, we wouldn't turn them into hungry little obesity-prone consumers of cheap, but profitable processed foods.
    Based upon the bolded, you're not sharing evidence-based nutrition information with your children. At all.

In addition to the 148 studies annotated in the link above, here is research review which thoroughly discusses energy balance and many of the physiological, psychological and sociological factors which impact weight gain/loss. Note, however, that it relies fundamentally upon the irrefutable principles of energy balance: https://sites.uni.edu/dolgener/UG_Sport_Nutrition/Articles/Energy_Balance.pdf

Yep, GSSI...
    The Institute is internationally recognized for its research and education offerings, which serve nearly 100,000 subscribers in more than 145 countries. In addition, more than 100 Student Research Grants have been awarded to research fellows and graduate students throughout North America, Latin America, Australia, Asia and Europe supporting research in a variety of areas.

It's a foundation, named after it's seed money provider. Done quite often, ie "Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation", which has put out a number of papers regarding computer science, and they are seen as still reliable sources.

You do realize this benefits Gatorade, because they engineer a product for athletes, to aid performance, and if their product were to be found sub-par for it's use, athletes would quickly discover that, and move onto better products, right?

New Balance and Nike often commission research into foot and ankle issues, as well, so they can design better shoes.

So you think Gatorade, aka sugar water, aids athletic performance? And are you suggesting it is a healthy drink?

Yeah, I completely disagree with you. I agree with Dr. DiNicolantonio. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4975866/pdf/openhrt-2016-000469.pdf

Dr. DiNicolantonio is a cardiovascular research scientist at Saint Luke’s Mid America Heart Institute. Dr. DiNicolantonio is the author or co-author of over 150 medical publications and serves as the Associate Editor of British Medical Journal’s (BMJ) Open Heart. Dr. DiNicolantonio is on the editorial advisory board of several medical journals including Progress in Cardiovascular Diseases.
  • KassLea22
    KassLea22 Posts: 112 Member
    KassLea22 wrote: »
    I am actually a big advocate of states that require kids be in gym every single year from elementary school through high school.

Yes, yes, a million times yes. Despite the fact that I loathed gym from the time I was in 2nd grade (loved it in k & 1, oddly enough) until "released" from mandatory gym after 10th grade.

I teach in a public school district that cut gym from 5 days a week to 2 days a week this year, and the behavior problems with the students are absolutely through the roof. The kids are going bananas, and no one really wants to say a word about it because you can get fired for that kind of criticism. But we all know it, we all see it, and it's a really big problem.

Physical education, health education, and sexual education all need a giant overhaul in this country, that's for sure....

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    KassLea22 wrote: »
    I'm skeptical that that's really what's being said, because it is being told to you by a Child who can sometimes misunderstand what an adult is saying. that's coming from someone who used to teach kindergarten. Have you talked to the teacher yourself?

Several pages ago the OP stated that she has already been in a meeting with the teacher and the Principal. Teacher confirmed that this is what she said and the Principal agrees that it is inappropriate and has taken action

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member

Wow! How on earth can kids be expected to concentrate all day with just a quick break? Are they expected to eat lunch in that time? It's more than an hour total breaks as a minimum here generally I think (I don't have kids myself but have friends who do). School day is ish 9-3.

In my school district in California, school typically goes from ~8a until about ~2:15p. I sub K-12. Students K-6 get one 10-15 minute recess and one 30-45 minute lunch break, about half of which goes to a second recess. The kids often tell me, especially during the spring semester, that they only get PE, which would be in addition to the two aforementioned breaks, when they have a sub.

Students 7-12 will have a PE class, though how often that is depends on how the school sets up their periods (six ~55 minute periods daily v. 3 alternating ~110 minute periods, for example). Though, once in high school, things like marching band begin to count for PE and many high schools only require you to take PE up until 10th grade.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

Yep, GSSI...
    The Institute is internationally recognized for its research and education offerings, which serve nearly 100,000 subscribers in more than 145 countries. In addition, more than 100 Student Research Grants have been awarded to research fellows and graduate students throughout North America, Latin America, Australia, Asia and Europe supporting research in a variety of areas.

It's a foundation, named after it's seed money provider. Done quite often, ie "Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation", which has put out a number of papers regarding computer science, and they are seen as still reliable sources.

You do realize this benefits Gatorade, because they engineer a product for athletes, to aid performance, and if their product were to be found sub-par for it's use, athletes would quickly discover that, and move onto better products, right?

New Balance and Nike often commission research into foot and ankle issues, as well, so they can design better shoes.

So you think Gatorade, aka sugar water, aids athletic performance? And are you suggesting it is a healthy drink?

Yeah, I completely disagree with you. I agree with Dr. DiNicolantonio. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4975866/pdf/openhrt-2016-000469.pdf

Dr. DiNicolantonio is a cardiovascular research scientist at Saint Luke’s Mid America Heart Institute. Dr. DiNicolantonio is the author or co-author of over 150 medical publications and serves as the Associate Editor of British Medical Journal’s (BMJ) Open Heart. Dr. DiNicolantonio is on the editorial advisory board of several medical journals including Progress in Cardiovascular Diseases.

The answer to that question depends entirely on why one is drinking the Gatorade. After a long run when all my energy stored are depleted, the electrolytes and sugar it provides are VERY healthy.

^ Yes. Context and dosage matter - and they are often completely overlooked and/or ignored.
  • Crisseyda

Yep, GSSI...

The answer to that question depends entirely on why one is drinking the Gatorade. After a long run when all my energy stored are depleted, the electrolytes and sugar it provides are VERY healthy.

Well, that's probably the least detrimental context in which to drink gatorade, but I still would not consider it healthy by a long stretch! I can run 10 miles without needing any kind of simple sugars to replace my glycogen stores, but, then again, my cells are fat-adapted, and I don't run out of glycogen very easily. And, of course, people who consume simple sugars while exercising are not going to ever have the chance to become adept at breaking down fat for fuel because the body will always preferentially burn excess carbohydrate over fat--it becomes a vicious cycle of dependence on exogenous sugar--but good luck with that!
  • Crisseyda

Yep, GSSI...

Well, that's probably the least detrimental context in which to drink gatorade, but I still would not consider it healthy by a long stretch! I can run 10 miles without needing any kind of simple sugars to replace my glycogen stores, but, then again, my cells are fat-adapted, and I don't run out of glycogen very easily. And, of course, people who consume simple sugars while exercising are not going to ever have the chance to become adept at breaking down fat for fuel because the body will always preferentially burn excess carbohydrate over fat--it becomes a vicious cycle of dependence on exogenous sugar--but good luck with that!

Er. You are not superior because you're fat adapted. There is nothing wrong or unhealthy about using carbs for fast access energy. Replacing electrolytes and sugar isn't unhealthy. I mean, what exactly is detrimental about those things?

That's rather a tall horse you're staring down from, I'd hate for you to lose your balance.........

There's nothing unhealthy about replacing electrolytes. No one said that. You trying to confuse the discussion. There is something inherently unhealthy about consuming simple sugars in any context. If you aren't clear, read the review from Open Heart by Dr. DiNicolantonio.

I'm not sure how you think I'll "fall off my high horse." I suppose years down the road, when my health is declining, I'll look back and say, "Dear God, if only I was wise enough to drink Gatorade after my workouts! I'd have avoided all these chronic health conditions."
  • VintageFeline

Yep, GSSI...

Er. You are not superior because you're fat adapted. There is nothing wrong or unhealthy about using carbs for fast access energy. Replacing electrolytes and sugar isn't unhealthy. I mean, what exactly is detrimental about those things?

That's rather a tall horse you're staring down from, I'd hate for you to lose your balance.........

There's nothing unhealthy about replacing electrolytes. No one said that. You trying to confuse the discussion. There is something inherently unhealthy about consuming simple sugars in any context. If you aren't clear, read the review from Open Heart by Dr. DiNicolantonio.

I'm not sure how you think I'll "fall off my high horse." I suppose years down the road, when my health is declining, I'll look back and say, "Dear God, if only I was wise enough to drink Gatorade after my workouts! I'd have avoided all these chronic health conditions."

And you don't understand that the body processes sugars from all sources in the same way. Having sugar with fibre/protein/fat slows down its being metabolised but post exercise that isn't the primary concern.

You are using a strawman as if all anyones diet consists of is Gatorade. Sure, if that makes up a large part of their diet but nobody is saying that's the case.

And in the interests of clarity and disclosure, I don't happen to drink that or similar "sports" drinks but I don't have any issue with them either.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2017

Yep, GSSI...

Well, that's probably the least detrimental context in which to drink gatorade, but I still would not consider it healthy by a long stretch! I can run 10 miles without needing any kind of simple sugars to replace my glycogen stores, but, then again, my cells are fat-adapted, and I don't run out of glycogen very easily.

Hmm. I've just started doing most of my running fasted (before breakfast) in the morning again, and also can run 10 miles without anything to replenish glycogen. Am not on any kind of low carb diet, and I don't consider this something that makes me special. I think most who are fit enough to run 10 miles can do this.

Could they do it at race pace? Probably not, no. And neither could someone "fat adapted." Just look at what elite athletes actually do, including the ones who are claimed as low carb.
  • Whit_88
    Whit_88 Posts: 36 Member
    to kind of roll off ccsernica's post there...

I think the things the teachers saying should be better relayed to the parents not the kids.
    Parents are the ones who set examples for their kids, if she wants to teach calories, invite the parents who want to learn to come and learn, let them take in that info and maybe they will make better choices for their kids, maybe less mcdonalds and more home cooked meals, more veggies on the plates, more healthier snack options maybe they will encourage more outside activities instead of ipads and video games, but leave the math and the fear and the calorie counting out of it for the kids, let them be kids, if your kid normally goes to the fridge and grabs a soda and cookies, let them do that but change the snacks, if they are hungry they will eat something else.

This. This is something parents need to teach their children and the teacher relaying this to parents would be a better option.