Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Hasn't been bumped in a while.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    Needs a bump for newbies. Great info in this thread.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    As a newbie, making this comment to put it into "My Topics"....move along...move along
  • mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Granular weighing isn't my strategy. Instead, I under-estimate my daily target by 100 calories. To be fair I do find weighing helpful for understanding portion sizes and it's been a great tool for that. Overall I don't think people should stress out too much, they should do what works for them and creates the least amount of barriers towards their weight loss goals.
  • katzenfluff
    katzenfluff Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    This thread is 3 years old, I've been on here for nearly 10 months, and this is the first time I've seen it. Already learning a few new things.

I see everyone "bumping" it to bring it back to the top of their list. Is there a way on this site to pin a thread, or easily search for threads you've interacted with?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    This thread is 3 years old, I've been on here for nearly 10 months, and this is the first time I've seen it. Already learning a few new things.

I see everyone "bumping" it to bring it back to the top of their list. Is there a way on this site to pin a thread, or easily search for threads you've interacted with?

At the top of the thread there's a star that if you click it it gets added to your bookmarks. You'll find your bookmarked threads in the star next to the notification bell.
  • TonyB0588
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

At the top of the thread there's a star that if you click it it gets added to your bookmarks. You'll find your bookmarked threads in the star next to the notification bell.

Thanks for the pointer Malibu. Sure that will help me a lot.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    mmmpork wrote: »
    Granular weighing isn't my strategy. Instead, I under-estimate my daily target by 100 calories. To be fair I do find weighing helpful for understanding portion sizes and it's been a great tool for that. Overall I don't think people should stress out too much, they should do what works for them and creates the least amount of barriers towards their weight loss goals.

Agreed and I don't think this post is saying you have to weigh your food...it's about logging accurately.

If you don't want to weight or don't have to great don't...this post isn't for you.

If you do want to weight tho this post helps you figure out how to get the accurate entries.
  • TonyB0588
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    What does “Logging Accurately” mean???? *warning long post*

I have thought long and hard about this post as there have been a lot of discussions lately over logging accurately…that well have gotten a bit “heated”…

Checking nutritional data

This area of the entry can be seen by clicking the blue text “nutritional data” as seen in the SS above right below the confirmations. This is the only way to ensure the entry you are using is correct. When you click that link you are brought to a page like this….

MFPnutritionfacts_zps6f6dca50.png

As you can see there is a drop down menu for servings, and with this entry there are multiple servings available…my personal favorites are the ones in 100g (makes entering serving size of weighed food so much easier) and here you can see the text “Is this data correct?” with buttons to confirm, deny or say you don’t know. If it is correct based on your package etc. click yes…it is important that the confirmations are done to ensure others know it’s correct too. If you know it’s not correct you can click “NO”.

You will then see this screen.

MFPEdit_zps99d09b22.png

Now you can edit this entry. I do this quite frequently as I often cannot find an entry for items that do not have the words Generic and homemade or an asterisk in front of them. When you do this, it now shows up in the tab (mentioned in the first paragraph) “MY FOODS”

Edit to Existing Entries

After clicking “Edit” this screen pops up.

MFPEditscreen_zps8740f2b0.png

You can change anything you want in here. The Brand/Restaurant, Description, nutrition facts, serving size etc. so that it is correct based on what you see on the package/website. *I often will end the description with my initials SCW so I know that it is my entry when searching in the database*

After you have done all that ensure you go to the bottom and explain the changes. I often just type per pkg. or per website, then click save.

Strange enough, when I click NO on the Nutritional Data page, it doesn't give me a popup with ability to edit the information. What am I doing wrong?
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Strange enough, when I click NO on the Nutritional Data page, it doesn't give me a popup with ability to edit the information. What am I doing wrong?

If the food entry has a green check mark, meaning it has been "verified" by a computer algorithm and still could contain errors, only MFP staff can edit those types of database records.
  • TonyB0588
    Options
    @CyberTone Thanks for your response. The entry has a green check mark so I guess that's the issue. Are you MFP staff, or how do we get this to their attention?

Quaker Instant Oatmeal Apples & Cinnamon is the item I had for breakfast this morning, and the numbers in MFP vary a bit from what's on the packet.

Barcode 0 30000 31684 9 for the assorted Flavor Variety pack.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    @CyberTone Thanks for your response. The entry has a green check mark so I guess that's the issue. Are you MFP staff, or how do we get this to their attention?

Quaker Instant Oatmeal Apples & Cinnamon is the item I had for breakfast this morning, and the numbers in MFP vary a bit from what's on the packet.

Barcode 0 30000 31684 9 for the assorted Flavor Variety pack.

Not staff, just a long-time member. You will have to open a Case with Customer Support and provide detailed changes that you request. It should help to submit a pic of the Nutrition Facts label, or the URL to the website to your Case.

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/emails/new

Expect an immediate form email from Customer Support asking for irrelevant information. Be patient with them, they are the intermediaries between you and the database admins. Expect Customer Support to close the Case when they are done with it, but it will not necessarily be "closed" while the database admins work on it. You can always go back to the Case and re-open it to ask on the status.

Examples for changes to request:

Change Fiber from 1.0 to 1.5.
    Change Potassium from N/A to 15.
    Change Serving Size from 1/2 cup (130g) to 130g.
  • 23susu23
    23susu23 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time and posting!
  • TonyB0588
    Options
    @CyberTone I got a response telling me how easy it is to Edit the entry myself. They obviously didn't read anything I said. Following up now.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Seems like there are a few threads that could use a bump today... :)
  • gailsheehan7
    gailsheehan7 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    how do i tag this please
  • TonyB0588
    Options
    how do i tag this please

• diannethegeek
    Options
    Could use a bump.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    Just bumping some useful threads. Don't mind me.