Looking for friends who don't eat "clean" and healthy

Options

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I have to plug my homemade mac and cheese in the recipe builder and see the damage. I only make it a few times a year and never really measured anything but the roux.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Dang it, now I really want some mac and cheese. :disappointed:

I was going to try making my own tomorrow - found a "low calorie" recipe. But I just put it into the recipe builder and it comes out at over 500 calories per serving! Admittedly I don't have any low-fat cheese and low-fat margarine to use in it (which the recipe calls for), but I did swap out the regular milk for almond milk and it's still too high for me. I don't think it'll be satisfying enough for that amount of calories!

My homemade mac and cheese recipe comes out to 605 calories per serving and it is so worth it!!

Maybe I'll figure out the rest of my day and see how bad it looks, and give it a try just to see! I know that the boxed stuff isn't filling to me (or only for a short while), but maybe home made will be better?

And talk of low fat cheese is blasphemy in this thread!

Sorry... *goes to stand in corner* :p

I've tried low fat cheese. It was okay, but the real thing is worth the extra calories!
  • ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I have to plug my homemade mac and cheese in the recipe builder and see the damage. I only make it a few times a year and never really measured anything but the roux.

If it comes out under 1000 calories a serving, I'd love your recipe as well if you are willing to share, I'm sure it's wonderful and I'm a mac and cheese addict.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Baked Mac and Cheese
    Servings 8
    Calories per serving 604

1 Cup (30g), Panko Japanese Style Bread Crumbs
    2 large egg (50g), Egg, Large
    3 tsp (1.5g), Iodized Salt
    0.50 cup (30g), All-Purpose Flour
    16 ounce, Elbow Macaroni
    3 cup, Milk - Whole, 3.25% milkfat
    8 tbsp, Butter - Unsalted
    2 cup, Fiesta Blend - Finely Shredded Cheese
    6 oz(s), Extra Sharp Cheddar

This is how I have it entered into the recipe builder, but it changes a little every time because I'm a very off the cuff cook. I figure these amounts are close enough.

Brown breadcrumbs in 2T butter and set aside. Boil noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile in a separate saucepan, make a roux with remaining butter and flour. I cook this low and slow to keep it light but still cook off the raw flavor of the flour. You're looking for dark blonde color and nutty aroma. I usually throw in some dry mustard, salt, and pepper at this point. Add milk and bring to a boil, cook until slightly thickened. Off heat, add shredded cheeses. I honestly throw whatever cheese I have in here, but generally it's some mixture cheddar and the fiesta blend for meltiness. Beat the eggs in a bowl and stir into the roux/cheese mixture. Gently stir in cooked noodles, pour into a lightly greased casserole dish (you'll need a big one!), top with browned breadcrumbs, and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until bubbly and brown around the edges :yum: 1/8th of this is a generous serving, and it's VERY filling.
  • TominTorrance
    TominTorrance Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had pizza this week, and some taco bell and even a few pastries, weighed in today at 227 from 242 about 3 1/2 weeks ago, as long as I keep it under or close to my calorie allowance (and stay honest with entering everything i eat), I'm still stunned at how quick this works and that it's a sustainable way to eat and live in the real world. What's even better is that when I get to target weight I can up calories 1000.....somewhere around 2500 a day before cardio, which consists of walking dogs and stationary bike every other day......it's gone from where I was telling people about my new "diet" to them asking me about what I'm doing because it's noticable
  • ivygirl1937
    Options
    Baked Mac and Cheese
    Servings 8
    Calories per serving 604

1 Cup (30g), Panko Japanese Style Bread Crumbs
    2 large egg (50g), Egg, Large
    3 tsp (1.5g), Iodized Salt
    0.50 cup (30g), All-Purpose Flour
    16 ounce, Elbow Macaroni
    3 cup, Milk - Whole, 3.25% milkfat
    8 tbsp, Butter - Unsalted
    2 cup, Fiesta Blend - Finely Shredded Cheese
    6 oz(s), Extra Sharp Cheddar

This is how I have it entered into the recipe builder, but it changes a little every time because I'm a very off the cuff cook. I figure these amounts are close enough.

Brown breadcrumbs in 2T butter and set aside. Boil noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile in a separate saucepan, make a roux with remaining butter and flour. I cook this low and slow to keep it light but still cook off the raw flavor of the flour. You're looking for dark blonde color and nutty aroma. I usually throw in some dry mustard, salt, and pepper at this point. Add milk and bring to a boil, cook until slightly thickened. Off heat, add shredded cheeses. I honestly throw whatever cheese I have in here, but generally it's some mixture cheddar and the fiesta blend for meltiness. Beat the eggs in a bowl and stir into the roux/cheese mixture. Gently stir in cooked noodles, pour into a lightly greased casserole dish (you'll need a big one!), top with browned breadcrumbs, and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until bubbly and brown around the edges :yum: 1/8th of this is a generous serving, and it's VERY filling.

YUM. :drools: Thank you so much!! I need to go to the grocery store and soon!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Mine comes out to about 555 calories per serving (10 servings per pan about)

Baked Mac and Cheese- 10 servings

16 oz box of elbow macaroni cooked al dente
    1 stick (113g) of butter
    60-70 g of AP flour
    1 cup of heavy cream
    3 cups of milk
    salt and pepper
    4 cups or so of grated SHARP cheddar cheese (about 460g)
    Sprinkle of Panko breadcrumbs

1. In a saucepan (I prefer to use my Dutch Oven for this), melt the butter and mix in the flour to make a roux. You want to cook this lowish and not burn it but cook the raw flour taste off. I like to get to a little darker than straight blond roux as it has more flavor and a slightly nutty aroma.
    2. Whisk in the heavy cream and milk. Keep whisking fairly frequently until you get a thickened texture. (Should coat the back of the spoon).
    3. I add in a generous amount of black pepper. I add in a moderate amount of salt. This is your preference.
    4. Remove from heat and stir in HALF to about 3/4ths of the cheddar cheese until melted and smooth.
    5. Add the cooked macaroni and stir until mixed well
    6. Pour everything into a casserole dish or a 13X9 baking pan.
    7. Top with remaining cheddar cheese and Panko breadcrumbs.
    8. Cover with foil and bake at about 350 degrees for about 35ish minutes until all melty and bubbly.
    9. Remove foil and continue to bake for another 5 minutes or so until cheese on top is melted and a little crispy.
    10. Let it stand outside the oven for a little before cutting into it.
    11. Enjoy! :)
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options

I was going to try making my own tomorrow - found a "low calorie" recipe. But I just put it into the recipe builder and it comes out at over 500 calories per serving! Admittedly I don't have any low-fat cheese and low-fat margarine to use in it (which the recipe calls for), but I did swap out the regular milk for almond milk and it's still too high for me. I don't think it'll be satisfying enough for that amount of calories!

mine comes out between 700-900 calories lol. BUT it's a huge portion (the amount of pasta i want to eat is what makes up the huge calorie range). so i adjust based on how many calories i have left, i also dump in a can of tuna for protein and i don't bake it. just make it on the stove top and eat it out of the pot. in my head i call it 'fat girl pasta' for a reason. a delicious, fulfilling reason.
  • ivygirl1937
    Options
    Mine comes out to about 555 calories per serving (10 servings per pan about)

Baked Mac and Cheese- 10 servings

16 oz box of elbow macaroni cooked al dente
    1 stick (113g) of butter
    60-70 g of AP flour
    1 cup of heavy cream
    3 cups of milk
    salt and pepper
    4 cups or so of grated SHARP cheddar cheese (about 460g)
    Sprinkle of Panko breadcrumbs

1. In a saucepan (I prefer to use my Dutch Oven for this), melt the butter and mix in the flour to make a roux. You want to cook this lowish and not burn it but cook the raw flour taste off. I like to get to a little darker than straight blond roux as it has more flavor and a slightly nutty aroma.
    2. Whisk in the heavy cream and milk. Keep whisking fairly frequently until you get a thickened texture. (Should coat the back of the spoon).
    3. I add in a generous amount of black pepper. I add in a moderate amount of salt. This is your preference.
    4. Remove from heat and stir in HALF to about 3/4ths of the cheddar cheese until melted and smooth.
    5. Add the cooked macaroni and stir until mixed well
    6. Pour everything into a casserole dish or a 13X9 baking pan.
    7. Top with remaining cheddar cheese and Panko breadcrumbs.
    8. Cover with foil and bake at about 350 degrees for about 35ish minutes until all melty and bubbly.
    9. Remove foil and continue to bake for another 5 minutes or so until cheese on top is melted and a little crispy.
    10. Let it stand outside the oven for a little before cutting into it.
    11. Enjoy! :)

:yum::yum: This sounds so good!! Thank you so much for sharing!! I've been looking for a good mac and cheese recipe but I hadn't found any really good ones, I'm so excited now!

I'm pretty sure hubby and I are having mac and cheese all weekend now. :lol:
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

My homemade mac and cheese recipe comes out to 605 calories per serving and it is so worth it!! And talk of low fat cheese is blasphemy in this thread!

I need to calorie mine out, too. I'd love to have some Mac N Cheese. Hubby is gluten-free so have to use GF pasta. I would LOVE to devour a box of Kraft mac n cheese. Tastes like childhood!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I had pizza this week, and some taco bell and even a few pastries, weighed in today at 227 from 242 about 3 1/2 weeks ago, as long as I keep it under or close to my calorie allowance (and stay honest with entering everything i eat), I'm still stunned at how quick this works and that it's a sustainable way to eat and live in the real world. What's even better is that when I get to target weight I can up calories 1000.....somewhere around 2500 a day before cardio, which consists of walking dogs and stationary bike every other day......it's gone from where I was telling people about my new "diet" to them asking me about what I'm doing because it's noticable

It's liberating, huh?!? :)
  • TominTorrance
    TominTorrance Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Its amazing, I feel good too, lighter more energy. So glad I found this app and that it really works, tried low carb and it is depressing
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I just eat the Kraft Deluxe Macaroni & Cheese.
    http://www.kraftmacandcheese.com/products/deluxe/original-cheddar
    Way better than KD. Even as a kid I didn't like KD and would eat this stuff.

Hell, 1/2 the box is 620 calories, plus 50-100 for the bacon I add on top.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Had one of my favorite dinners last night at Larkburger. A 16oz bowl of chili and a small chocolate shake. Comes in a hair over 600 calories and it is so, so good.

It's Taco Tuesday, so tonight's variation is ground chicken seasoned with Ortega taco skillet sauce over corn tortilla chips (and a lot of other nacho fixins like cheese and beans and onions and olives and sour cream and tomatillo sauce).

I'm actually making nachos tonight too (vegetarian). A serving of Tostitos bite size rounds, vegetarian refried beans, Supremo three cheese "mexican" blend cheese, jalapenos, tomato, lettuce shreds, sour cream and maybe some sliced black olives.

I have to get me some jalapenos.

The plan was jarred jalapenos but I realized I had fresh and it was so much better! I had a super rough night and I was exhausted and my eyes were hurting and still do but it was totally worth staying up a little longer to eat my nachos!! They cheered me up a bit. lol.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Had one of my favorite dinners last night at Larkburger. A 16oz bowl of chili and a small chocolate shake. Comes in a hair over 600 calories and it is so, so good.

It's Taco Tuesday, so tonight's variation is ground chicken seasoned with Ortega taco skillet sauce over corn tortilla chips (and a lot of other nacho fixins like cheese and beans and onions and olives and sour cream and tomatillo sauce).

I'm actually making nachos tonight too (vegetarian). A serving of Tostitos bite size rounds, vegetarian refried beans, Supremo three cheese "mexican" blend cheese, jalapenos, tomato, lettuce shreds, sour cream and maybe some sliced black olives.

I have to get me some jalapenos.

The plan was jarred jalapenos but I realized I had fresh and it was so much better! I had a super rough night and I was exhausted and my eyes were hurting and still do but it was totally worth staying up a little longer to eat my nachos!! They cheered me up a bit. lol.

I'm sorry you had a rough night! I agree though, fresh jalapenos on nachos are far superior :yum:
  • juyehara
    juyehara Posts: 11 Member
    Options
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    :::snarfing down some ice cream:::
    Coworker enters office: Um, you still on that whole weight loss thing..?
    Me: Actually I'm at maintenance. You gotta try this ice cream.
    Coworker: What kind of wizardry diet allows you to eat ice cream?!
    Me: I might have a Kat Kat later. Anyways you need something?

:lol:

That sounds like conversations between me and coworkers as well... In my case it's usually some variation of a chocolate bar or a heaping of pasta... :tongue:
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I ate a ton of pizza and pretzels in 3 days, does that count?