Why so much despise for bodybuilders

1246710

Replies

  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Can somebody explain the anti-cardio memes? I'm old enough to be someone's mom, so I need a well-rounded program that includes weights, cardio and lots of stretches and flexibility training - but I keep seeing a lot of memes about how lifting is the only thing that matters, blah blah blah.

    You should 100% be doing cardio despite what other people might say. Cardio is extremely important for your overall health, never neglect doing cardio
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    I've belonged to every gym out there (Golds, Powerhouse, etc) Currently I am at planet fitness because I'm waiting for Lifetime to open in July.. with that being said. I truly don't believe anyone hates bodybuilders.. We are all building our bodies.. however, PF is just trying to support the people who maybe aren't gym rats.. and don't want them to feel intimidated by people who understand the machines, weights etc. I don't believe they do not want you there.. I believe they just don't want the stereotypical bodybuilder grunting and showing off and taking selfies all day long in the mirror. There are plenty of men/women who all day long are loud, and obnoxious at all gyms.. If you are not that type.. then I'm sure you would fit in just like everyone else. I see plenty of bodybuilders at my PF. ALL GOOD.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Can somebody explain the anti-cardio memes? I'm old enough to be someone's mom, so I need a well-rounded program that includes weights, cardio and lots of stretches and flexibility training - but I keep seeing a lot of memes about how lifting is the only thing that matters, blah blah blah.

    It's just one of those jokey things like the "do you even lift bro" memes. Cardio id good for heart and lung health with the added bonus it lets you eat more.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    BHFF wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    BHFF wrote: »
    Why the despise for people who want to bodybuild? Shoot there is even a gym (PLANET FITNESS) that pretty much says bodybuilders are NOT welcome in their facilities. Even though there slogan is "NO JUDGMENT ZONE" is that hypocrisy?

    To be fair, they don't like power lifters there either

    I'm sure they don't. They like people or just want to use the cardio machines it seems. Just because you have a passion for powerlifting doesn't mean you shouldn't be welcomed at a gym LOL as long as your abiding by there Rules I don't see the problem

    No Deadlifting is one of their rules, so that removes pretty much all power lifters and some body builders with that one rule alone
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Can somebody explain the anti-cardio memes? I'm old enough to be someone's mom, so I need a well-rounded program that includes weights, cardio and lots of stretches and flexibility training - but I keep seeing a lot of memes about how lifting is the only thing that matters, blah blah blah.

    In a nutshell and super simplistic broscience explanation... cardio = burned calories = less surplus for "muscle growth" and potentially a trade off in lower recovery.

    Only problem is that cardio is pretty vague and there is a pretty wide spectrum between a 2 mile run and a 25 mile run, long cycling event for example.

    Oh, also some people just really don't like cardio... period.
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    erickirb wrote: »
    BHFF wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    BHFF wrote: »
    Why the despise for people who want to bodybuild? Shoot there is even a gym (PLANET FITNESS) that pretty much says bodybuilders are NOT welcome in their facilities. Even though there slogan is "NO JUDGMENT ZONE" is that hypocrisy?

    To be fair, they don't like power lifters there either

    I'm sure they don't. They like people or just want to use the cardio machines it seems. Just because you have a passion for powerlifting doesn't mean you shouldn't be welcomed at a gym LOL as long as your abiding by there Rules I don't see the problem

    No Deadlifting is one of their rules, so that removes pretty much all power lifters and some body builders with that one rule alone

    I'm not disagreeing with you I'm really not. I'm not even saying I dislike planet fitness. They have a great business model that makes them a lot of money. Good for them! I just find it ironic that they are the no judgment zone but they judge
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Just out of curiosity.. what would be the definition of a bodybuilder? Is it someone that competes? Focuses primarily on their physique? I bulk/cut and focus on aethetics but I don't think I am a bodybuilder.. again maybe I am.. I have no clue.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    edited April 2017
    I didn't realize deadlifting is a rule there ... I do it all the time. ((SHRUG)) either way...

    It's a nice place but I like the other types of gyms better. I always have.. If we could do without the selfies and mirror watching.. it would be perfect. Looking forward to my Lifetime Fitness membership That is an AWESOME gym.

    I will say however, PF has a massage table room and after a workout.. it's fabulous



    BHFF wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    BHFF wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    BHFF wrote: »
    Why the despise for people who want to bodybuild? Shoot there is even a gym (PLANET FITNESS) that pretty much says bodybuilders are NOT welcome in their facilities. Even though there slogan is "NO JUDGMENT ZONE" is that hypocrisy?

    To be fair, they don't like power lifters there either

    I'm sure they don't. They like people or just want to use the cardio machines it seems. Just because you have a passion for powerlifting doesn't mean you shouldn't be welcomed at a gym LOL as long as your abiding by there Rules I don't see the problem

    No Deadlifting is one of their rules, so that removes pretty much all power lifters and some body builders with that one rule alone

    I'm not disagreeing with you I'm really not. I'm not even saying I dislike planet fitness. They have a great business model that makes them a lot of money. Good for them! I just find it ironic that they are the no judgment zone but they judge
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity.. what would be the definition of a bodybuilder? Is it someone that competes? Focuses primarily on their physique? I bulk/cut and focus on aethetics but I don't think I am a bodybuilder.. again maybe I am.. I have no clue.

    You're exactly right! What constitutes a bb? They have signs at some that show a cartoon figure of a GUY, with a stringer on, short shorts and a gallon of water, the cartoon figure is obviously very muscular and undeneath the pic they say "no to lug heads"
    I'm assuming that women bodybuilders or the bodybuilding type would be much more acceptable at their Gyms then men. What do the two ladies above think?
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    tracefan wrote: »
    I didn't realize deadlifting is a rule there ... I do it all the time. ((SHRUG)) either way...

    It's a nice place but I like the other types of gyms better. I always have.. If we could do without the selfies and mirror watching.. it would be perfect. Looking forward to my Lifetime Fitness membership That is an AWESOME gym.

    I will say however, PF has a massage table room and after a workout.. it's fabulous



    BHFF wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    BHFF wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    BHFF wrote: »
    Why the despise for people who want to bodybuild? Shoot there is even a gym (PLANET FITNESS) that pretty much says bodybuilders are NOT welcome in their facilities. Even though there slogan is "NO JUDGMENT ZONE" is that hypocrisy?

    To be fair, they don't like power lifters there either

    I'm sure they don't. They like people or just want to use the cardio machines it seems. Just because you have a passion for powerlifting doesn't mean you shouldn't be welcomed at a gym LOL as long as your abiding by there Rules I don't see the problem

    No Deadlifting is one of their rules, so that removes pretty much all power lifters and some body builders with that one rule alone

    I'm not disagreeing with you I'm really not. I'm not even saying I dislike planet fitness. They have a great business model that makes them a lot of money. Good for them! I just find it ironic that they are the no judgment zone but they judge

    I don't want to put out any assumptions but you being a female I would imagine they allow things that you do pass. I have personally seen guys get kicked out I'll planet fitness simply for mildly grunting. No planet fitness allows a dead lifting so the fact that you get away with It makes me wonder if it is based upon you being female. What are your thoughts?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I have known two women bodybuilders that competed in figure.. and they definitely received criticism about their bodies from others, so women get it too.
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I have known two women bodybuilders that competed in figure.. and they definitely received criticism about their bodies from others, so women get it too.

    I'm sure they do. I have known a couple of women bodybuilders at the gym as I have gone to and I see the looks people give them. It really bothers me. You might not like how they look but at least respect the dedication they have put into something that they love.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    I have to disagree a bit. I deadlift but don't drop down the weight and I don't grunt. I don't lift as heavy as maybe you would either.. Maybe it's just not noticed and when I go.it's early am also not the 5pm crowd

    .. I do understand what you are saying though.. because men tend to be more aggressive in the gym but again, being a gym person since the age of 17 or so, I have seen plenty of women bodybuilders in the gym where other "women" feel intimidated. Men just seem to grunt more lol PF is not a typical "gym" it's just like if you were a boxer.. you are not going to go to one of these "title boxing" classes.. you are going to go to a BOXING GYM.

    Unfortunately I think EVERY GYM judges and Unfortunately EVERY PERSON judges.. Whether you are a bodybuilder, a thin person trying to tone, or a very fat person just trying to get back in shape. For goodness sake.. even what you wear or how you look or the size boobs you have.. lol We are all judged and it sucks.



    BHFF wrote: »
    tracefan wrote: »
    I didn't realize deadlifting is a rule there ... I do it all the time. ((SHRUG)) either way...

    It's a nice place but I like the other types of gyms better. I always have.. If we could do without the selfies and mirror watching.. it would be perfect. Looking forward to my Lifetime Fitness membership That is an AWESOME gym.

    I will say however, PF has a massage table room and after a workout.. it's fabulous



    BHFF wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    BHFF wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    BHFF wrote: »
    Why the despise for people who want to bodybuild? Shoot there is even a gym (PLANET FITNESS) that pretty much says bodybuilders are NOT welcome in their facilities. Even though there slogan is "NO JUDGMENT ZONE" is that hypocrisy?

    To be fair, they don't like power lifters there either

    I'm sure they don't. They like people or just want to use the cardio machines it seems. Just because you have a passion for powerlifting doesn't mean you shouldn't be welcomed at a gym LOL as long as your abiding by there Rules I don't see the problem

    No Deadlifting is one of their rules, so that removes pretty much all power lifters and some body builders with that one rule alone

    I'm not disagreeing with you I'm really not. I'm not even saying I dislike planet fitness. They have a great business model that makes them a lot of money. Good for them! I just find it ironic that they are the no judgment zone but they judge

    I don't want to put out any assumptions but you being a female I would imagine they allow things that you do pass. I have personally seen guys get kicked out I'll planet fitness simply for mildly grunting. No planet fitness allows a dead lifting so the fact that you get away with It makes me wonder if it is based upon you being female. What are your thoughts?
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    I definitely notice it in the general public. My bf is pretty big and shredded and he looks hot af (I may be biased lol). People love to think he's an idiot, mention that they "hate muscles" and how they'd rather have (insert completely unrelated and not mutually exclusive intellectual trait) I attribute it to ignorance because he's both intelligent and kind and not the *kitten* they assume he is. People love to hate what they think they can't have. Ironically he used to be overweight and look like a lesbian so their loss for not getting to know him tbh.
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    tracefan wrote: »
    I have to disagree a bit. I deadlift but don't drop down the weight and I don't grunt. I don't lift as heavy as maybe you would either.. Maybe it's just not noticed and when I go.it's early am also not the 5pm crowd

    .. I do understand what you are saying though.. because men tend to be more aggressive in the gym but again, being a gym person since the age of 17 or so, I have seen plenty of women bodybuilders in the gym where other "women" feel intimidated. Men just seem to grunt more lol PF is not a typical "gym" it's just like if you were a boxer.. you are not going to go to one of these "title boxing" classes.. you are going to go to a BOXING GYM.

    Unfortunately I think EVERY GYM judges and Unfortunately EVERY PERSON judges.. Whether you are a bodybuilder, a thin person trying to tone, or a very fat person just trying to get back in shape. For goodness sake.. even what you wear or how you look or the size boobs you have.. lol We are all judged and it sucks.



    BHFF wrote: »
    tracefan wrote: »
    I didn't realize deadlifting is a rule there ... I do it all the time. ((SHRUG)) either way...

    It's a nice place but I like the other types of gyms better. I always have.. If we could do without the selfies and mirror watching.. it would be perfect. Looking forward to my Lifetime Fitness membership That is an AWESOME gym.

    I will say however, PF has a massage table room and after a workout.. it's fabulous



    BHFF wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    BHFF wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    BHFF wrote: »
    Why the despise for people who want to bodybuild? Shoot there is even a gym (PLANET FITNESS) that pretty much says bodybuilders are NOT welcome in their facilities. Even though there slogan is "NO JUDGMENT ZONE" is that hypocrisy?

    To be fair, they don't like power lifters there either

    I'm sure they don't. They like people or just want to use the cardio machines it seems. Just because you have a passion for powerlifting doesn't mean you shouldn't be welcomed at a gym LOL as long as your abiding by there Rules I don't see the problem

    No Deadlifting is one of their rules, so that removes pretty much all power lifters and some body builders with that one rule alone

    I'm not disagreeing with you I'm really not. I'm not even saying I dislike planet fitness. They have a great business model that makes them a lot of money. Good for them! I just find it ironic that they are the no judgment zone but they judge

    I don't want to put out any assumptions but you being a female I would imagine they allow things that you do pass. I have personally seen guys get kicked out I'll planet fitness simply for mildly grunting. No planet fitness allows a dead lifting so the fact that you get away with It makes me wonder if it is based upon you being female. What are your thoughts?

    Great post thank you. I agree with pretty much everything you just said. Everyone judges there's no question about that.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,494 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I'm trying to think how many bodybuilders I was aware of or saw either in real life or on the TV as a kid. My perception may be skewed as I spent 5 days a week gymnastics training so wasn't really watching much telly. Apart from Gladiators which was essential viewing. And I think those were the only ones I actually knew but they were actually mostly former athletes.

    I don't think I saw any in real life in the weights room we'd sometimes do some conditioning in (gym training was in a local sports centre, well, two sports centres).

    Oh and of course doormen/bouncers were quite often pretty built. So I do think the number of builders is more prevalent now but I would think that would make them less noticeable or head turning, as it's more normal to see?

    tumblr_nevjdzD4F41ref5mqo1_500.jpg

    -vs-

    phil-heath-kai-greene-720x500.jpg

    I wouldn't call anything about the physiques of today's top bodybuilders "normal".


    p.s. here's what i mean in my original comment. I don't think anyone would be shocked or head turning seeing the first guy. tell me what you think about the second.


    Natural%2BBodybuilding.jpg


    vs.

    rich-pieana-seo-oil.jpg


    That top guy, though...
    (in both comparisons)


    All have amazing and remarkable physiques.
    Frank Zane- physique I aspired to achieve when I started. Bob Paris and Rory Leidelmeyer were also my favs.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png