Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,521 Member
    Options
    IVMay wrote: »
    Gimsteinn1 wrote: »
    Rich Piana scares me

Rich Piana is partly the reason why we went to war in Iraq.
    You think Bostin Loyd would fight beside him in a real war? :D

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    BHFF wrote: »
    Why the despise for people who want to bodybuild? Shoot there is even a gym (PLANET FITNESS) that pretty much says bodybuilders are NOT welcome in their facilities. Even though there slogan is "NO JUDGMENT ZONE" is that hypocrisy?

Because by and large people tend to judge others that are not like them. At one time it was called egocentricity because like groups and cultures could be easily defined by genetic and geographic factors.

Now groups form due to interests... or lack there of. Body builders have been equally guilty of judging others. I know because I have heard and read the snotty remarks by them. Just like *some* black people can't stand white people in America (Though I can't imagine why [sarcasm]) Some non-body builders can't stand body builders.

In the past, we would make crappy comments behind closed doors among our peers that thought like us. Now we make those comments in the open for some reason assuming that others won't read them. You'll never stop judgement (that's a thought) but it would probably be wise of people to curtail crappy comments about others in general. It is also wise to ignore ignorant comments of others that don't share your interests, culture or beliefs. Caveat, if those ignorant comments are directed to you specifically OR the are meant to do tangible harm to you or others.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    you looking for post count? 7hmmz9javmz6.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'll just leave this here:

ou62sl3fyreg.gif

Nothing wrong with bodybuilding although some people do take it a little too far. But hey that's up to them. The only ones I lack respect for are those 'carpet carriers' who walk around as if their latissimus dorsai need their own postcode; when their 'v-taper' (or lack thereof) is not in proportion to biceps and pectorials which seems to be a monday-sunday type exercise.

One other thing with 'bodybuilders' is lack of rear deltoid development. So I think there's a perception that the whole narcissistic focus on 'guns n chest' takes priority over achieving an actual proportioned look which gives an illusion of size. To me a lot of so called 'bodybuilders' are just juiceheads without any knowledge what the hell they're doing. I have the utmost respect for those who treat it like a science and art project to actually 'sculpt' their body to the fullest and leanest extent but some of these people are just.... plain - strange. :)

Respect for those who do it for self improvement and development to help their lives.

Greg-Valentino.jpg?ts=1420510577
    Valentino got out of bodybuilding long ago. This is just site injection with synthol.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    tracefan wrote: »
    I didn't realize deadlifting is a rule there ... I do it all the time. ((SHRUG)) either way...

It's a nice place but I like the other types of gyms better. I always have.. If we could do without the selfies and mirror watching.. it would be perfect. Looking forward to my Lifetime Fitness membership That is an AWESOME gym.

I will say however, PF has a massage table room and after a workout.. it's fabulous

erickirb wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    Why the despise for people who want to bodybuild? Shoot there is even a gym (PLANET FITNESS) that pretty much says bodybuilders are NOT welcome in their facilities. Even though there slogan is "NO JUDGMENT ZONE" is that hypocrisy?

To be fair, they don't like power lifters there either

I'm sure they don't. They like people or just want to use the cardio machines it seems. Just because you have a passion for powerlifting doesn't mean you shouldn't be welcomed at a gym LOL as long as your abiding by there Rules I don't see the problem

No Deadlifting is one of their rules, so that removes pretty much all power lifters and some body builders with that one rule alone

I'm not disagreeing with you I'm really not. I'm not even saying I dislike planet fitness. They have a great business model that makes them a lot of money. Good for them! I just find it ironic that they are the no judgment zone but they judge

I don't want to put out any assumptions but you being a female I would imagine they allow things that you do pass. I have personally seen guys get kicked out I'll planet fitness simply for mildly grunting. No planet fitness allows a dead lifting so the fact that you get away with It makes me wonder if it is based upon you being female. What are your thoughts?

There's a half dozen or more folks who DL at my PF. Male and female.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Robbo_79 wrote: »
    I cant say ive ever felt any despise on here amongst members, in the whole its a very supportive place, and i've never had any derogatory comments.
    Some small minded people, when they see you have muscle, immediately assume you do steroids, those people are the ones that dont realise it takes years if hard work in the gym and eating right, purely because they dont do it themselves.

@IVMay - its quite amusing how you spout off about bodybuilders traps and delts and their lack of this and that - judging by the look of you, you are a crossfitter or cardio monkey, thats fine, being muscular is not everyones fitness goal, some just life to stay lean and fit and healthy, thats absolutely fine, everyone is different, but i dont think you show any class or earn any right to criticise people that do spend their life dedicated to building a better body.

Does his body naturally produce tren? Let's be real y'all.

Absolute gold!

Why Are you guys keep saying tren???? Y'all even know what tren does? Or are you going to Google it right now to find out. The fact that you keep saying that someone is on tren of their body produces tren leads me to believe you have no idea what you're talking about. It doesn't even leave me to believe that, I know you don't know what you're talking about LOL

Because it's a quote from Mike O'hearn who claims to be completely natty. It started a whole slew of memes "eat clen tren hard" and so forth. This is common knowledge among individuals who call out BS scammers in the industry.

Leads me to believe that you aren't even familiar with the community you're a part of.

Heh. Wig O'Hearn. He is a legend. You ever hear about the frog? LMAO He even did a video about it. Wasn't it like 2000 dollars or something? And the duck eggs he was selling for 800 dollars? Had me in stitches. I used to go on Getbig from 2005-2008 but still regularly check in for updates. Hilarity. Do you keep up to date with the Jason Blaha saga? Oh my god the stuff ongoing with Blaha is hilarious.
    Lol, I'm a moderator on Getbig.com under "Natural Bodybuilding" (Oldschool Flip). Friend of mine said that Ron shut it down a couple of weeks ago, but I saw it was still up.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    menotyou56 wrote: »

There would be no Planet Fitness if regular folks wanting to workout were not fat shamed for years and years in bodybuilder type gyms.

Just sayin.

Jesus, do I go to the only gyms that aren't loaded with *kitten*? I've used two Gold's, a couple if small PL gyms, and a YMCA. When I was fat at 265? Nothing but encouragement and advice. When I got to 150 and looked emaciated and terrible? Nothing but encouragement and advice. Now that I am 167 and actually look like I might have picked up a barbell once or twice? I just get left alone.

Seriously, if my broad experience is anything to go by, it's probably more people feeling insecure and shaming themselves, than anyone doing so to them.

Totally agree!! I've never seen anyone fat shamed at a gym. You are right they are more likely shaming themselves. I've always encountered support for people overweight!
    I'll go as far as saying that skinny men and women are called out more than people overweight.
  • IVMay
    IVMay Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Robbo_79 wrote: »
    I cant say ive ever felt any despise on here amongst members, in the whole its a very supportive place, and i've never had any derogatory comments.
    Some small minded people, when they see you have muscle, immediately assume you do steroids, those people are the ones that dont realise it takes years if hard work in the gym and eating right, purely because they dont do it themselves.

@IVMay - its quite amusing how you spout off about bodybuilders traps and delts and their lack of this and that - judging by the look of you, you are a crossfitter or cardio monkey, thats fine, being muscular is not everyones fitness goal, some just life to stay lean and fit and healthy, thats absolutely fine, everyone is different, but i dont think you show any class or earn any right to criticise people that do spend their life dedicated to building a better body.

Does his body naturally produce tren? Let's be real y'all.

Absolute gold!

Why Are you guys keep saying tren???? Y'all even know what tren does? Or are you going to Google it right now to find out. The fact that you keep saying that someone is on tren of their body produces tren leads me to believe you have no idea what you're talking about. It doesn't even leave me to believe that, I know you don't know what you're talking about LOL

Because it's a quote from Mike O'hearn who claims to be completely natty. It started a whole slew of memes "eat clen tren hard" and so forth. This is common knowledge among individuals who call out BS scammers in the industry.

Leads me to believe that you aren't even familiar with the community you're a part of.

Heh. Wig O'Hearn. He is a legend. You ever hear about the frog? LMAO He even did a video about it. Wasn't it like 2000 dollars or something? And the duck eggs he was selling for 800 dollars? Had me in stitches. I used to go on Getbig from 2005-2008 but still regularly check in for updates. Hilarity. Do you keep up to date with the Jason Blaha saga? Oh my god the stuff ongoing with Blaha is hilarious.
    Lol, I'm a moderator on Getbig.com under "Natural Bodybuilding" (Oldschool Flip). Friend of mine said that Ron shut it down a couple of weeks ago, but I saw it was still up.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Christ. LMAO. I thought you were going to say Wes for one split second haha I read the first bit and knew you were an experienced person so assumed Wes. How is Mr Avidan? Remember that w8m8 girl about 10 years ago? and pillowtalk that was in the newspapers for being a sex offender? There's been some interesting characters over the years, that's for sure. A lot of drama with some of the Oz/Nz users too later on but that was after I left and then that idiot GH15 turned up.

When did you stop using it?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    menotyou56 wrote: »

There would be no Planet Fitness if regular folks wanting to workout were not fat shamed for years and years in bodybuilder type gyms.

Just sayin.

Jesus, do I go to the only gyms that aren't loaded with *kitten*? I've used two Gold's, a couple if small PL gyms, and a YMCA. When I was fat at 265? Nothing but encouragement and advice. When I got to 150 and looked emaciated and terrible? Nothing but encouragement and advice. Now that I am 167 and actually look like I might have picked up a barbell once or twice? I just get left alone.

Seriously, if my broad experience is anything to go by, it's probably more people feeling insecure and shaming themselves, than anyone doing so to them.

Totally agree!! I've never seen anyone fat shamed at a gym. You are right they are more likely shaming themselves. I've always encountered support for people overweight!
    I'll go as far as saying that skinny men and women are called out more than people overweight.

There were a couple of people recently that fat shamed someone in a very public way. Dani Mathers and Diana Andrews. As you said, everyone judges and there is shaming on all sides.
  • IVMay
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Gimsteinn1 wrote: »
    Rich Piana scares me

Rich Piana is partly the reason why we went to war in Iraq.
    You think Bostin Loyd would fight beside him in a real war? :D

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

LOL
    His father had a good reputation as a really nice man and a heart of gold. I don't know Bostin but he seems to be getting involved in a lot of aggravation and unnecessary drama I respect his ability to.... actually he's just plain ol' crazy but he seems more authentic than people like Kali, O'hearn and CT Fletch.

Some of his cc shots of.... well - you know - you just think to yourself it has indeed become a circus. What happened to Bob Paris, Francis Benfatto, Shawn Ray, Flex Wheeler (pre 95) types. Lee Haney is the pinnacle of what's possible imo without it getting ridiculous.
  • IVMay
    Options
    Brings back memories. Or Geo when that IFBB pro put pictures of himself and his wife posing - loads of photos and professional looking posing shots and Geo I think it was: "You two guys look pretty big. Looking strong fellas"
    The IFBB pro had a meltdown and spewed all sorts of profanity before closing his account.
    I think the story was that he thought GetBig was an official representative online for magazines like Flex. . .
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    Planet Fitness doesn’t discriminate against anyone. If you follow their rules of behavior, you can work out there, bodybuilder or otherwise. Discrimination is disparate treatment for characteristics that a person cannot change (or reasonably should not have to change), like race, sex, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, etc. The prohibition against ripped up string tank tops, do-rags, milk jugs full of workout drinks, work boots, grunting, sneering, etc., is not discriminatory, so let’s not fabricate faux outrage against a nonexistent victim class.

PF’s business model is a reaction to something that actually exists: *kitten* behavior in gyms. A lot of that behavior is associated with bodybuilders and powerlifters. I have been a gym rat for over 30 years and have seen a full range of bad behavior, and admittedly even added to it in my teens and 20s when I was more alpha about lifting. In reality, some people just go to a gym to exercise, without attitude and narcissism – that is PF’s target market, and there is nothing wrong with that. There are usually plenty of other gym options available.

They absolutely do. Their advertising campaigns are based on making "bodybuilders" or "lunk's" (as they call them), appear to be low IQ imbeciles.

Some people really do not help this image but I know several people who are gym-rats, have good physiques and are incredibly intelligent and in highly sought after careers.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness doesn’t discriminate against anyone. If you follow their rules of behavior, you can work out there, bodybuilder or otherwise. Discrimination is disparate treatment for characteristics that a person cannot change (or reasonably should not have to change), like race, sex, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, etc. The prohibition against ripped up string tank tops, do-rags, milk jugs full of workout drinks, work boots, grunting, sneering, etc., is not discriminatory, so let’s not fabricate faux outrage against a nonexistent victim class.

PF’s business model is a reaction to something that actually exists: *kitten* behavior in gyms. A lot of that behavior is associated with bodybuilders and powerlifters. I have been a gym rat for over 30 years and have seen a full range of bad behavior, and admittedly even added to it in my teens and 20s when I was more alpha about lifting. In reality, some people just go to a gym to exercise, without attitude and narcissism – that is PF’s target market, and there is nothing wrong with that. There are usually plenty of other gym options available.

are you daft?
    their entire business model is based on judging and isolating anyone serious about any aspect of fitness.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

They absolutely do. Their advertising campaigns are based on making "bodybuilders" or "lunk's" (as they call them), appear to be low IQ imbeciles.

Some people really do not help this image but I know several people who are gym-rats, have good physiques and are incredibly intelligent and in highly sought after careers.

No, they have rules of conduct. That is not discriminatory, sorry, it just isn't. POA has rules of conduct, I was made aware of that myself just yesterday. They aren't discriminating against me, they are saying I didn't follow the rules. The OP would be welcome at PF, IF HE FOLLOWS THE RULES. You may say that they "shame" BB's, but that isn't discrimination. Lets be clear.
  • IVMay
    Options
    What I don't understand is: why would a bodybuilder who is into serious weights want to attend a gym that doesn't have the resources required in terms of equipment focused on hardcore weight training? I've known people serious into weights and some who were serious bodybuilders and they did both their cardio (exception with exercise bikes at home and stairmaster type equipment in garages) and weights in that same hardcore gym.

I just can't fathom a bodybuilder enjoying the environment of a 'cardio' or 'classes' based gym.

Forgive me if I'm ignorant in terms of the equipment this planet fitness may have.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Well that's the "semantics" check box ticked on the MFP list of required items for an argument thread.