Why so much despise for bodybuilders

Options

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    Planet Fitness doesn’t discriminate against anyone. If you follow their rules of behavior, you can work out there, bodybuilder or otherwise. Discrimination is disparate treatment for characteristics that a person cannot change (or reasonably should not have to change), like race, sex, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, etc. The prohibition against ripped up string tank tops, do-rags, milk jugs full of workout drinks, work boots, grunting, sneering, etc., is not discriminatory, so let’s not fabricate faux outrage against a nonexistent victim class.

PF’s business model is a reaction to something that actually exists: *kitten* behavior in gyms. A lot of that behavior is associated with bodybuilders and powerlifters. I have been a gym rat for over 30 years and have seen a full range of bad behavior, and admittedly even added to it in my teens and 20s when I was more alpha about lifting. In reality, some people just go to a gym to exercise, without attitude and narcissism – that is PF’s target market, and there is nothing wrong with that. There are usually plenty of other gym options available.

are you daft?
    their entire business model is based on judging and isolating anyone serious about any aspect of fitness.

But as Bry-lander correctly points out,that is not discrimination.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    IVMay wrote: »
    What I don't understand is: why would a bodybuilder who is into serious weights want to attend a gym that doesn't have the resources required in terms of equipment focused on hardcore weight training? I've known people serious into weights and some who were serious bodybuilders and they did both their cardio (exception with exercise bikes at home and stairmaster type equipment in garages) and weights in that same hardcore gym.

I just can't fathom a bodybuilder enjoying the environment of a 'cardio' or 'classes' based gym.

Forgive me if I'm ignorant in terms of the equipment this planet fitness may have.

Needs must and all that. In some areas, gyms like PF are all that people have access to or can afford. And I believe PF has barbells but they limit their use, banning certain lifts. But, from everything I've read, the enforcement of these rules varies per location.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand is: why would a bodybuilder who is into serious weights want to attend a gym that doesn't have the resources required in terms of equipment focused on hardcore weight training? I've known people serious into weights and some who were serious bodybuilders and they did both their cardio (exception with exercise bikes at home and stairmaster type equipment in garages) and weights in that same hardcore gym.

I just can't fathom a bodybuilder enjoying the environment of a 'cardio' or 'classes' based gym.

Forgive me if I'm ignorant in terms of the equipment this planet fitness may have.

We have one of those crappy gyms and it's walking distance from our house, so we go to that type of gym. Not everyone has a power lifting gym that allows you to say *kitten* and use chalk at their disposal. Not everyone cares either. Our gym is cheap af and not crowded so while it doesn't make a great background for IG pics it does the job lol

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    furthermore, we like the pizza they serve lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness doesn’t discriminate against anyone. If you follow their rules of behavior, you can work out there, bodybuilder or otherwise. Discrimination is disparate treatment for characteristics that a person cannot change (or reasonably should not have to change), like race, sex, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, etc. The prohibition against ripped up string tank tops, do-rags, milk jugs full of workout drinks, work boots, grunting, sneering, etc., is not discriminatory, so let’s not fabricate faux outrage against a nonexistent victim class.

PF’s business model is a reaction to something that actually exists: *kitten* behavior in gyms. A lot of that behavior is associated with bodybuilders and powerlifters. I have been a gym rat for over 30 years and have seen a full range of bad behavior, and admittedly even added to it in my teens and 20s when I was more alpha about lifting. In reality, some people just go to a gym to exercise, without attitude and narcissism – that is PF’s target market, and there is nothing wrong with that. There are usually plenty of other gym options available.
    I could see "behavior" as the issue. I do fail to see that wearing a doo rag, string top and carrying around a gallon of water as "bad behavior" just because it's associated with bodybuilders.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    BHFF wrote: »
    Robbo_79 wrote: »
    I cant say ive ever felt any despise on here amongst members, in the whole its a very supportive place, and i've never had any derogatory comments.
    Some small minded people, when they see you have muscle, immediately assume you do steroids, those people are the ones that dont realise it takes years if hard work in the gym and eating right, purely because they dont do it themselves.

@IVMay - its quite amusing how you spout off about bodybuilders traps and delts and their lack of this and that - judging by the look of you, you are a crossfitter or cardio monkey, thats fine, being muscular is not everyones fitness goal, some just life to stay lean and fit and healthy, thats absolutely fine, everyone is different, but i dont think you show any class or earn any right to criticise people that do spend their life dedicated to building a better body.

Does his body naturally produce tren? Let's be real y'all.

Absolute gold!

Why Are you guys keep saying tren???? Y'all even know what tren does? Or are you going to Google it right now to find out. The fact that you keep saying that someone is on tren of their body produces tren leads me to believe you have no idea what you're talking about. It doesn't even leave me to believe that, I know you don't know what you're talking about LOL

Because it's a quote from Mike O'hearn who claims to be completely natty. It started a whole slew of memes "eat clen tren hard" and so forth. This is common knowledge among individuals who call out BS scammers in the industry.

Leads me to believe that you aren't even familiar with the community you're a part of.

Heh. Wig O'Hearn. He is a legend. You ever hear about the frog? LMAO He even did a video about it. Wasn't it like 2000 dollars or something? And the duck eggs he was selling for 800 dollars? Had me in stitches. I used to go on Getbig from 2005-2008 but still regularly check in for updates. Hilarity. Do you keep up to date with the Jason Blaha saga? Oh my god the stuff ongoing with Blaha is hilarious.
    Lol, I'm a moderator on Getbig.com under "Natural Bodybuilding" (Oldschool Flip). Friend of mine said that Ron shut it down a couple of weeks ago, but I saw it was still up.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Christ. LMAO. I thought you were going to say Wes for one split second haha I read the first bit and knew you were an experienced person so assumed Wes. How is Mr Avidan? Remember that w8m8 girl about 10 years ago? and pillowtalk that was in the newspapers for being a sex offender? There's been some interesting characters over the years, that's for sure. A lot of drama with some of the Oz/Nz users too later on but that was after I left and then that idiot GH15 turned up.

When did you stop using it?
    It got old really fast. It was pretty entertaining at first, but let's face it moderation there was far from used. And the racial slurs on a consistent basis didn't help either. I check back there usually on contests because pics come up pretty quick, but haven't posted on there in quite some time.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

are you daft?
    their entire business model is based on judging and isolating anyone serious about any aspect of fitness.

“Serious fitness” is an arbitrary term. Failing to stock certain types of equipment isn’t judgmental behavior, and beyond that, nothing that PF prohibits will impair your “serious fitness” endeavors.

I honestly fail to understand how PF triggers such hostility. Let the fabricated victimization go, PF does not have a monopoly on gyms, there are other options.
  • IVMay
    IVMay Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

Needs must and all that. In some areas, gyms like PF are all that people have access to or can afford. And I believe PF has barbells but they limit their use, banning certain lifts. But, from everything I've read, the enforcement of these rules varies per location.

Oh right. Thanks for that.
    I suppose the area is important, yeah. Didn't know they are cheaper than other gyms.
    Here in the UK I've yet to come across that type of place.
    I signed up a week ago to a 24 hour gym as I don't want to attend the place where my family go due to the embarrassment factor. It has the right balance and the induction had no 'restrictions' about etiquette other than the usual fire escape doors are here and no you cannot bring your dogs in here stop asking me.

Won't be long I'm sure before the UK has a chain of them. :)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Gimsteinn1 wrote: »
    Rich Piana scares me

Rich Piana is partly the reason why we went to war in Iraq.
    You think Bostin Loyd would fight beside him in a real war? :D

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

LOL
    His father had a good reputation as a really nice man and a heart of gold. I don't know Bostin but he seems to be getting involved in a lot of aggravation and unnecessary drama I respect his ability to.... actually he's just plain ol' crazy but he seems more authentic than people like Kali, O'hearn and CT Fletch.

Some of his cc shots of.... well - you know - you just think to yourself it has indeed become a circus. What happened to Bob Paris, Francis Benfatto, Shawn Ray, Flex Wheeler (pre 95) types. Lee Haney is the pinnacle of what's possible imo without it getting ridiculous.
    I'm convinced the stacks they use today and the dosage and the cycling (sometimes all year around) is what's creating the physiques of today. I don't think the "classic" physiques from previous actually used a lot of gear. It's sad to see a lot of guts hanging out further than the chests these days, although when they pose with it sucked it, I still admire the AMOUNT of muscle on some of them. The the wispy waistlines of yesteryear are pretty much gone. Closest ones in the pro ranks that have them are Rhoden and McMillan.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• IVMay
    IVMay Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    BHFF wrote: »
    Robbo_79 wrote: »
    I cant say ive ever felt any despise on here amongst members, in the whole its a very supportive place, and i've never had any derogatory comments.
    Some small minded people, when they see you have muscle, immediately assume you do steroids, those people are the ones that dont realise it takes years if hard work in the gym and eating right, purely because they dont do it themselves.

@IVMay - its quite amusing how you spout off about bodybuilders traps and delts and their lack of this and that - judging by the look of you, you are a crossfitter or cardio monkey, thats fine, being muscular is not everyones fitness goal, some just life to stay lean and fit and healthy, thats absolutely fine, everyone is different, but i dont think you show any class or earn any right to criticise people that do spend their life dedicated to building a better body.

Does his body naturally produce tren? Let's be real y'all.

Absolute gold!

Why Are you guys keep saying tren???? Y'all even know what tren does? Or are you going to Google it right now to find out. The fact that you keep saying that someone is on tren of their body produces tren leads me to believe you have no idea what you're talking about. It doesn't even leave me to believe that, I know you don't know what you're talking about LOL

Because it's a quote from Mike O'hearn who claims to be completely natty. It started a whole slew of memes "eat clen tren hard" and so forth. This is common knowledge among individuals who call out BS scammers in the industry.

Leads me to believe that you aren't even familiar with the community you're a part of.

Heh. Wig O'Hearn. He is a legend. You ever hear about the frog? LMAO He even did a video about it. Wasn't it like 2000 dollars or something? And the duck eggs he was selling for 800 dollars? Had me in stitches. I used to go on Getbig from 2005-2008 but still regularly check in for updates. Hilarity. Do you keep up to date with the Jason Blaha saga? Oh my god the stuff ongoing with Blaha is hilarious.
    Lol, I'm a moderator on Getbig.com under "Natural Bodybuilding" (Oldschool Flip). Friend of mine said that Ron shut it down a couple of weeks ago, but I saw it was still up.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Christ. LMAO. I thought you were going to say Wes for one split second haha I read the first bit and knew you were an experienced person so assumed Wes. How is Mr Avidan? Remember that w8m8 girl about 10 years ago? and pillowtalk that was in the newspapers for being a sex offender? There's been some interesting characters over the years, that's for sure. A lot of drama with some of the Oz/Nz users too later on but that was after I left and then that idiot GH15 turned up.

When did you stop using it?
    It got old really fast. It was pretty entertaining at first, but let's face it moderation there was far from used. And the racial slurs on a consistent basis didn't help either. I check back there usually on contests because pics come up pretty quick, but haven't posted on there in quite some time.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You are so on point there. Kind of the same with me. It used to be good for advice and people discussing their own methods and experiences and quickly turned into flaming the industry and pessimistic abuse towards everything.

What really started doing it for me were when dead people were laughed at. The antisemitism, racism and remarks against people like Vince G and Wiggs.

I always had the impression that Ron was just more interested in his photojournalism passes for events and the 'social' side of it OUTSIDE the internet rather than caring about the site itself. It got him a name and entry for himself while a lot of the moderation was a joke. If anything he needed more mods and better ones too.

There was a 1970 Mr Canada that was now living elsewhere and he was a genuinely nice guy with a lot of valid information and they absolutely flamed him to high heaven. Someone who deserved a lot more respect and was never rude or impolite to anybody that I recall, anyway.

Horrid people, some of them but definitely some legends, also :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

are you daft?

“Serious fitness” is an arbitrary term. Failing to stock certain types of equipment isn’t judgmental behavior, and beyond that, nothing that PF prohibits will impair your “serious fitness” endeavors.

I honestly fail to understand how PF triggers such hostility. Let the fabricated victimization go, PF does not have a monopoly on gyms, there are other options.

I'm not a bodybuilder or power lifter or anything like that...but I am serious about my fitness and athleticism. I learned to Oly lift in highschool when I was a track and field sprinter and jumper...Olympic lifting made me a much better athlete...Olympic lifts are one of the best things that an athlete that requires explosiveness can do...they are one of the best things that anyone seriously into fitness can do for themselves...but according to PF it is "lunk" behavior and those awesome lifts aren't allowed 'cuz it will be scary or something for other people.

smh...there's a 70 year old dude at my gym who does cleans and snatches...it's friggin' awesome...and oh so scary and intimidating...
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

Oh right. Thanks for that.
    I suppose the area is important, yeah. Didn't know they are cheaper than other gyms.
    Here in the UK I've yet to come across that type of place.
    I signed up a week ago to a 24 hour gym as I don't want to attend the place where my family go due to the embarrassment factor. It has the right balance and the induction had no 'restrictions' about etiquette other than the usual fire escape doors are here and no you cannot bring your dogs in here stop asking me.

Won't be long I'm sure before the UK has a chain of them. :)

I guess here the equivalent might be something like Fitness First, Curves for the ladies, Virgin Active, those sorts of places that feel a bit more "normal folks go" than those little gyms no-one but serious bodybuilders know exist (one of which I was taken to but at about 14 it scared the living bejesus out of me!).

But nothing to directly compare them to. I hear they have pizza Fridays or some shiz at PF.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

are you daft?

Their entire marketing model is based around making fun of people.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    For a gym that is "none judgemental" it's literally the most judgmental gym out there.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

are you daft?

I'm not a bodybuilder or power lifter or anything like that...but I am serious about my fitness and athleticism. I learned to Oly lift in highschool when I was a track and field sprinter and jumper...Olympic lifting made me a much better athlete...Olympic lifts are one of the best things that an athlete that requires explosiveness can do...they are one of the best things that anyone seriously into fitness can do for themselves...but according to PF it is "lunk" behavior and those awesome lifts aren't allowed 'cuz it will be scary or something for other people.

smh...there's a 70 year old dude at my gym who does cleans and snatches...it's friggin' awesome...and oh so scary and intimidating...

Some of the fittest athletes that I have ever been associated with were in the military, and this level of fitness was obtained with only a minor amount of gym activity. There are countless paths to being fit; Olympic weight lifting is certainly one of them, but not the only one. There are countless guys doing bodyweight resistance exercises in prison cells right now that are totally jacked, you can get great results being consistent and working hard, with or without a particular set of equipment.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I never see anyone on this app hating on bodybuilders. In fact you all inspire me.

Aint nobody hatin on ur body. :|
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

are you daft?

Some of the fittest athletes that I have ever been associated with were in the military, and this level of fitness was obtained with only a minor amount of gym activity. There are countless paths to being fit; Olympic weight lifting is certainly one of them, but not the only one. There are countless guys doing bodyweight resistance exercises in prison cells right now that are totally jacked, you can get great results being consistent and working hard, with or without a particular set of equipment.

I was in the Marines...didn't do a lot of gym stuff, but I'm sure a lot of the stuff we did do would be pretty "intimidating" to the PF crowd...hell, they don't even allow jump rope.